inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who started the 'selfie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 2:49 am

Definition of 'selfie' in British and World English in Oxford dictionary:

A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website:

Who started the 'selfie?

In the media it was:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10336754_10152365555961840_3413735233466821034_n.jpg

Subject: Re: Who started the 'selfie?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/14 at 2:58 am

Probably someone who was on it's own, had no tripod and wanted to take a picture of himself. I am sure it was common way before Mr. Bean. The more interesting question would be: When was the term 'selfie' intruduced?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:14 am

When was the term 'selfie' intruduced?
By 2013, the word "selfie" had become commonplace enough to be monitored for inclusion in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary. In November 2013, the word "selfie" was announced as being the "word of the year" by the Oxford English Dictionary, which gave the word itself an Australian origin.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/16/14 at 9:24 am

Isn't the modern selfie sort of an evolution of the mid-00's mirror pics that became popular with pages like Myspace as people began feeling the need to depict themselves for social media? I find it odd that selfies are treated as something so novel and unique, especially when I remember seeing them used for their current social media purpose from around the same time or just a little after the above mentioned mirror pics. This also makes me wonder why the media never went so crazy about the mirror pic trend.

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 2:27 pm

so popular ABC is creating a new series called Selfie next season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqozmwlE00

I have not yet watched this trailer.

and now I have and I will not be watching this show... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 2:40 pm

Isn't the modern selfie sort of an evolution of the mid-00's mirror pics that became popular with pages like Myspace as people began feeling the need to depict themselves for social media? I find it odd that selfies are treated as something so novel and unique, especially when I remember seeing them used for their current social media purpose from around the same time or just a little after the above mentioned mirror pics. This also makes me wonder why the media never went so crazy about the mirror pic trend.
Being a mirror image it not the true image for the subject is in reverse.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/14 at 3:04 pm

I remember mirror photos back in the mid 00s, but I think it is because people were using digital cameras at the time and the fact that the Iphones and Androids didnt exist until the late 00s. These days, you can take selfies without even using a mirror as they have a self-portrait option on the phone. Another thing is that even though MySpace was used in the mid 00s. I dont think the media heard the term social media until Facebook was popular which was about 2009 and 2010. Myspace was also just rising after AOL was declining in the mid 00s.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:06 pm

You could take your own selfie by going to a website.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:07 pm

so popular ABC is creating a new series called Selfie next season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqozmwlE00

I have not yet watched this trailer.

and now I have and I will not be watching this show... ::)

Are you kidding me?  :o

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 4:09 pm

I remember mirror photos back in the mid 00s, but I think it is because people were using digital cameras at the time and the fact that the Iphones and Androids didnt exist until the late 00s. These days, you can take selfies without even using a mirror as they have a self-portrait option on the phone. Another thing is that even though MySpace was used in the mid 00s. I dont think the media heard the term social media until Facebook was popular which was about 2009 and 2010. Myspace was also just rising after AOL was declining in the mid 00s.

you don't even need a cell phone (or a talented friend with the ability to focus the camera with absolute precision... they now make digital cameras with front display to help the untalented people make their own selfies without having to guess if the subjects are in frame..

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images345x345/samsung_ec_dv150fbplus_dv150f_smart_digital_camera_909942.jpg

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/14 at 4:19 pm

you don't even need a cell phone (or a talented friend with the ability to focus the camera with absolute precision... they now make digital cameras with front display to help the untalented people make their own selfies without having to guess if the subjects are in frame..

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images345x345/samsung_ec_dv150fbplus_dv150f_smart_digital_camera_909942.jpg
Wow! They upgraded digital cameras better than before.

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 4:21 pm

my friend has one...it comes in handy when she doesn't have someone there to take her celeb photo op pics for her...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/14 at 4:28 pm

my friend has one...it comes in handy when she doesn't have someone there to take her celeb photo op pics for her...
Thats amazing! Technology is is getting better these days.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:54 pm

cameras are getting better with technology.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/14 at 4:58 pm

cameras are getting better with technology.
they sure are.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/14 at 7:51 pm

I mostly use my DSLR with a 10-20 mm wide angle lens. It works, even though, a lot of guessing is involved ;)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 06/16/14 at 8:12 pm

Robert Cornelius in 1839!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/RobertCornelius.jpg/585px-RobertCornelius.jpg

jk that's just the new instagram filter.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/16/14 at 10:25 pm

Being a mirror image it not the true image for the subject is in reverse.

It's still the same basic concept of taking a picture of oneself without the help of another in order to show oneself off to the world through the internet. I don't see how the subject being in reverse takes away from the point I was making. It seems to me that the selfie of today is just an evolution of the earlier mirror photos, with today's technology (thinner cameras, phones, and MP3 players w/ camera, etc.) making it easier to do it directly. And even in the mid-2000's, selfies already existed (even though the word apparently did not) despite the fact that they were more likely to be taken with a regular digital camera than a smart phone, though I think the mirror pic was still a bit more common due to the slight clunkiness of the cameras at the time. I remember using a timer, with the camera put on top of stacked objects to get the angle that I wanted and take a selfie that didn't look like a selfie.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 6:48 am

How is one supposed to do the selfie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 6:49 am

Look at the above pictures of Mr Bean.

Written By: snozberries on 06/17/14 at 9:56 am

I recently learned that, on the iPhone, you can use the volume button to take a picture... my picture taking with the iphone has become a whole lot easier with this new data!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 9:59 am

I recently learned that, on the iPhone, you can use the volume button to take a picture... my picture taking with the iphone has become a whole lot easier with this new data!!!!

I still boringly have to use the button on the front of my phone, which adds to the confusion of the angle of the phone for the picture taking.

Written By: snozberries on 06/17/14 at 10:18 am

I still boringly have to use the button on the front of my phone, which adds to the confusion of the angle of the phone for the picture taking.

has this upgrade not made it's way to the UK?  Have you tried the volume button? maybe it works and you just didn't know it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 10:24 am

has this upgrade not made it's way to the UK?  Have you tried the volume button? maybe it works and you just didn't know it?

Upgrade are available, I have an old phone (before the upgrade).

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 7:42 pm

what about a regular cell phone too?  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 7:43 pm

the volume button would work for regular cell phones?

Written By: snozberries on 06/18/14 at 12:47 am

what about a regular cell phone too?  ???

I don't know howard... I haven't had a regular cell phone in years... can't even remember when the last time was that I saw one... .you could always try it tho..

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 5:41 am

It does not work on mine!

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 7:07 am

It does not work on mine!

mine doesn't work either!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 9:13 am

Latest 'selfie' to be in the news:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464395_10152123253932217_2289674350869893962_n.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/24/14 at 3:48 pm

Latest 'selfie' to be in the news:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464395_10152123253932217_2289674350869893962_n.jpg

The Queen probably hasn't seen the selfie before.

Written By: Katluver on 06/27/14 at 8:20 pm

I remember I took my first selfie when I was 13 and thought I was being innovative.  ::)

Written By: DemiLover89 on 07/01/14 at 10:46 pm

I used to take selfies with toss away kodak cameras.

Now my daughter uses my iphone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/15 at 8:47 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/amz/vivo/live/images/2015/5/14/bac27a2e-d473-4373-8502-814f93732f98.jpg

Sam Smith: Live from the (operating) theatre today

Written By: Howard on 05/14/15 at 3:26 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10459115/Australian-man-invented-the-selfie-after-drunken-night-out.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/15 at 3:31 pm

Look at the above pictures of Mr Bean.

After trying a selfie, Mr Bean asks a man to take a picture of him in the park...

2l4dieIcyNY

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/14/15 at 8:18 pm

That's what everyone did in the 2000's when they had digital cameras. They took pictures in the mirror. I don't think the word selfie really caught on until social media made it a thing. They started or rather, spread around alot of terminology.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/16/15 at 1:38 pm

Definitely not a new idea.  Thelma & Louise (1991)
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/20/5/enhanced/webdr06/enhanced-7784-1403256807-1.jpg

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/16/15 at 1:46 pm

Most definitely not a new idea.  Pieter Claesz, 1625.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/N%C3%BCrnberg_%E2%80%94_GNM_2013-09-07_Mattes_%2864%29.JPG/450px-N%C3%BCrnberg_%E2%80%94_GNM_2013-09-07_Mattes_%2864%29.JPG

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/15 at 1:59 pm

Most definitely not a new idea.  Pieter Claesz, 1625.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/N%C3%BCrnberg_%E2%80%94_GNM_2013-09-07_Mattes_%2864%29.JPG/450px-N%C3%BCrnberg_%E2%80%94_GNM_2013-09-07_Mattes_%2864%29.JPG
Solved and now settled!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/15 at 7:45 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/704/amz/vivo/live/images/2015/5/29/a3164015-9e33-4171-98ea-e57b49ff8abd.jpg

Latest selfie in the media, Ed Sheeran met his waxwork at Madame Tussauds in New York yesterday.

Written By: tv on 05/31/15 at 8:36 pm

I think it was 2009, 2010 or 2011 I first heard the the term "selfie" when I saw somewhere "Kim(Kardashian)" took a "selfie"

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/19/15 at 11:35 am

You couldn't take selfies with iPhone or Androids as there were no inner cameras. I can pull up numerous digital camera mirror pics from the late 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...