inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Musical "Pattern" In The Odd-Numbered Decades?

Written By: Visor765 on 06/30/14 at 9:58 pm

I've noticed the odd-numbered decades such as the 1970s and 1990s, and currently, the 2010s have a fetish for darker themed music that includes drugs, violence, romantic break-ups (very common in even-numbered decades), and sex. The 1970s had the classic rock scene, the 1990s had the grunge and gangster hip-hop scene, and the 2010s have the indie and electronic scene. A very prominent example of today's style is Imagine Dragons with their songs like "It's Time", "Radioactive", and "Demons", which talk about personal struggles. I think these decades tend to be "theraputical" in nature because of their blatant approach to real-word issues. These trends have an immense impact but tend to be extremely short-lived, and by the end of the decade they move into a lighter direction which sets the stage for the next decade. It happened in the 70s (disco, although this was around from mid 70s to early 80s), it happened in the 90s (bubblegum-pop), it will likely happen in the 2010s too. Meanwhile the even-numbered decades tend to be "lighter" in nature as it starts off that way before they begin and continue throughout the middle parts until there's this neutral attitude at the end where the music isn't happy but it isn't depressing. Am I crazy, because I think I'm looking too deep into this...

Subject: Re: A Musical "Pattern" In The Odd-Numbered Decades?

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/01/14 at 4:27 am

Honestly, I don't know.  :-\\ Every decade will have it's favored style of music, but that doesn't mean there aren't other kinds. I really don't notice what you're talking about. The 90's had all kinds. Grunge and alternative wasn't all sunshine and roses songs. Alice in Chains and similar bands had some pretty dark songs. Then turn to something different and you've got the upbeat dance music. Then the adult contemporary songs tended to be more serious too, or love songs.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/01/14 at 1:23 pm

I do think the '80s and '00 were more escapist and at least the '90s more introspective.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 07/01/14 at 10:42 pm

The 80's had some very very dark music. That is when the goth scene that I never tire of talking about took off! Likewise, let's remember that the 90's wasn't all doom and gloom; think eurodance music.

Written By: Emman on 07/02/14 at 9:38 pm

I've noticed the odd-numbered decades such as the 1970s and 1990s, and currently, the 2010s have a fetish for darker themed music that includes drugs, violence, romantic break-ups (very common in even-numbered decades), and sex. The 1970s had the classic rock scene, the 1990s had the grunge and gangster hip-hop scene, and the 2010s have the indie and electronic scene. A very prominent example of today's style is Imagine Dragons with their songs like "It's Time", "Radioactive", and "Demons", which talk about personal struggles. I think these decades tend to be "theraputical" in nature because of their blatant approach to real-word issues. These trends have an immense impact but tend to be extremely short-lived, and by the end of the decade they move into a lighter direction which sets the stage for the next decade. It happened in the 70s (disco, although this was around from mid 70s to early 80s), it happened in the 90s (bubblegum-pop), it will likely happen in the 2010s too. Meanwhile the even-numbered decades tend to be "lighter" in nature as it starts off that way before they begin and continue throughout the middle parts until there's this neutral attitude at the end where the music isn't happy but it isn't depressing. Am I crazy, because I think I'm looking too deep into this...

Huh, the pattern I've noticed is that during periods of turmoil and economic distress dance music in general seems to dominate, like in the 1930s(swing/big band), the 1970s(disco), and now in the 2010s(EDM), heck maybe the 1890s count too with the 1893 panic(and subsequent severe depression), labor riots, Spanish-American war, and racial violence/lynchings, ragtime become very popular later in that decade and was known as frivolous entertainment at the time.

Decades after the 1890s(in the 1930s and 1940s) it was nostalgically called "The Gay Nineties"(as in light, carefree, cheerful, ect) but the actual decade was a tinderbox of tensions and protests.

Written By: Paul on 07/30/14 at 1:47 pm

Original poster, I think you're trying WAY too hard to compartmentalise things - if that's your thing, fine...but quite honestly, it doesn't work...

Save yourself from going crazy - just enjoy the music!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/14 at 2:01 am

Original poster, I think you're trying WAY too hard to compartmentalise things - if that's your thing, fine...but quite honestly, it doesn't work...

Save yourself from going crazy - just enjoy the music!
I blame Leonardo Fibonacci!

Written By: bchris02 on 07/31/14 at 12:52 pm

I don't consider 2010s music to be "dark" at all.  If anything, I think music is way too happy and upbeat right now. 

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/14 at 9:10 pm

I don't consider 2010s music to be "dark" at all.  If anything, I think music is way too happy and upbeat right now.

I agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...