inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were cargo pants popular in the 70s and 80s?

Written By: Visor765 on 07/02/14 at 10:27 pm

Particularly the late 70s/early 80s, because they were popular in the 90s and 2000s (1995-2007 were the years they were popular). And fashion goes in 20 year cycles, so I figure that cargo pants were popular that time? I wanna know real bad!

Subject: Re: Were cargo pants popular in the 70s and 80s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/05/14 at 2:58 pm

I'd have to say the answer is no.  In the late 70's, white carpenter pants/denim carpenter jeans were popular for a short while.  Then from the late 70's through much of the 80's, overalls (for women, many colors/styles) were in fashion.  Of course designer jeans were hot during the same time frame.  But not cargo pants.

The first time I saw cargo pants (and I'm an attentive girl) the concept seemed pretty new.  That was probably mid to late 90's.  There may have been a brief "experimental" period maybe early 80's-ish where I first saw a pocket like that - but it didn't catch on at all.

Written By: Katluver on 07/09/14 at 2:24 am

I don't think these really go out of style. I still have mine that I purchased 14 years ago and find them handy to have when I'm doing manual labor because the deep pockets hold everything.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/09/14 at 12:08 pm

I don't think these really go out of style. I still have mine that I purchased 14 years ago and find them handy to have when I'm doing manual labor because the deep pockets hold everything.

Maybe not in the utilitarian world, but in the fashion world they do! Utilitarian cargo pants (like the ones you buy at Dickies) are less flattering where as fashion cargo pants (like ones you can buy at Old Navy) have cooler cuts/styles/designs. They are not in style right now, but I predict they will be cool again in a couple years (2016 maybe?).

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/31/14 at 9:11 pm

I never noticed them until the 2nd half of the 90s and most of the 00s. They seem like they went with the baggy clothes and buzzed/shaved head look of the time...but personally I still really like them (in fashion or not), the side pockets are convenient and they're WAY more comfortable than jeans! :)

Then again, fashion is one of the things I never paid attention to as a kid, so maybe they were around (probably were, especially in colder areas...just like flannel always was too) and I just never noticed/remembered?

Check for new replies or respond here...