inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Oprah become famous?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/14 at 7:05 pm

:D :D

Subject: Re: When did Oprah become famous?

Written By: nally on 07/31/14 at 11:19 pm

I would venture to guess 1986, when she began hosting her highly-influential talk show.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/14 at 12:53 am

I would venture to guess 1986, when she began hosting her highly-influential talk show.

She's been around a long time.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/14 at 4:25 am

Her first episode of "AM Chicago" was aired on January 2, 1984 and was renamed "The Oprah Winfrey Show", expanded to a full hour, and broadcast nationally beginning September 8, 1986. She became international well known when she appeared in Steven Spielberg's 1985 film "The Color Purple",  receiving an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/14 at 1:33 pm

Her first episode of "AM Chicago" was aired on January 2, 1984 and was renamed "The Oprah Winfrey Show", expanded to a full hour, and broadcast nationally beginning September 8, 1986. She became international well known when she appeared in Steven Spielberg's 1985 film "The Color Purple",  receiving an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

That explains some clips I've seen that were from 1984 or 1985. Didn't know the show didn't go national yet!

Written By: Howard on 08/01/14 at 2:30 pm

She's been around a long time.  :o

Yes, for 28 years.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/14 at 2:35 pm

I remember on her show for the first time she lost a lot of weight and brought in on a small wagon, a whole bunch of lard. The lard is supposed to be the weight she had lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOtzMX3ZvU

Written By: nally on 08/01/14 at 11:18 pm

Oh yes... "The Color Purple." I'd completely forgotten about that.

Still, she is best known for hosting her TV talk show, which ended a 25-year run in 2011.

I also periodically watch the OWN cable network, which is named after her ("Oprah Winfrey Network").

Written By: 80sfan on 08/02/14 at 2:37 pm

I remember on her show for the first time she lost a lot of weight and brought in on a small wagon, a whole bunch of lard. The lard is supposed to be the weight she had lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOtzMX3ZvU

I was born that year (1988) when that episode happened.  :)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/02/14 at 5:56 pm

I think during the late 80s.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 6:01 pm

I was born that year (1988) when that episode happened.  :)

Maybe your parents watch Oprah? ???

Written By: Bobby on 08/07/14 at 5:03 pm

A miscellaneous fact about Oprah:

Her mom wanted to be called Orpah but they spelt her name wrong on the birth certificate.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/14 at 7:21 am

A miscellaneous fact about Oprah:

Her mom wanted to be called Orpah but they spelt her name wrong on the birth certificate.

How did they spell it wrong?

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/14 at 5:11 pm

How did they spell it wrong?

By not using basic calculus to figure out the proper equation

Check for new replies or respond here...