inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop Culturists: do you put your own opinion into birthyears & generations?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/31/14 at 7:27 pm

Just thought this would be interesting to get opinions on.

The ONLY generation/birthyears thing that's pretty much completely universally accepted is the Baby Boomers beginning in 1945-46, and the 60s starting with The Beatles on Ed Sullivan in February 1964. Everything else is subjective and kinda loosely defined and debated, based just on generalizations or maybe what most people of a certain age group tend to be like...but there's no hardcore concrete proof either.

We try to look at things objectively, but I think we always kinda (even unintentionally) put our own bias into it sometimes. Meaning like, if you're 20 now and love the 90s, do you WANT Gen Y to end later just so that you fit into it and don't get lumped with the 12 year old 1D fans or considered someone that adults perhaps look down on and say "today's kids who don't know real music" and stuff?

This really explains why you see teens born in the late 90s, even early 2000s saying they're "90s kids" and I can totally understand that, so I don't rip on them for it like many people do.

With me it's interesting to see my own perspective changing. Years ago (late 90s/early mid 2000s) I hated when someone would assume I liked the 90s merely because of when I was in middle school/high school, and I wanted so so bad to be accepted as being an 80s kid, and resented being told I was "too young to really understand it/be there", especially since I have a hella good memory.  :D

Now though? I still love the 80s with all my heart, but since I've been over 25 and especially NOW over 30, I've changed my stance slowly and I really don't want to get lumped with the middle aged parents complaining about how "MTV doesn't play videos anymore!" (even if I agree) and I'd like to be at least kinda cool and relevant in the 2010s. Especially since smartphones, youtube and today's technology is amazing. I also like the more metrosexual indie vibe today. :)

Subject: Re: Pop Culturists: do you put your own opinion into birthyears & generations?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/14 at 9:09 pm

In my opinion, generation Y, or the millenials were born from 1980 to 1996. Just an opinion.

Subject: Re: Pop Culturists: do you put your own opinion into birthyears & generations?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/01/14 at 12:15 am

In my opinion, generation Y, or the millenials were born from 1980 to 1996. Just an opinion.

Generally I'd say so too. :) Would you agree, there's "wiggle room" on the end years, but the middle is unquestionably part of a certain generation?

Especially since everyone's got different experiences, and you also have to factor in things like older siblings passing stuff down (which can give some people "age credit" via exposure to older stuff).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/14 at 12:52 am

Generally I'd say so too. :) Would you agree, there's "wiggle room" on the end years, but the middle is unquestionably part of a certain generation?

Especially since everyone's got different experiences, and you also have to factor in things like older siblings passing stuff down (which can give some people "age credit" via exposure to older stuff).

Sometimes I would include 1997 too. I guess I would include endings as part of the wiggle room theory too.  8)

Written By: Visor765 on 08/01/14 at 1:21 am

The Generation X/Y cuspers are those born from 1975-1981. They don't identify with either generation but most of them would choose Generation X if pressed to do so. To me, Generation Y/Z cuspers are those born from 1994-1997. I might change my stance on it in a few years. I don't think I'm a true Millennial or a Gen Zer. I was born in 1995. A true Millennial, like one who is 100% Generation Y, is someone who was born any time from 1982-1989. Most 80's babies, generally. A total Generation Zer is in my opinion someone who was born from 2001 to an unknown date. Pure Gen Zers are too young to evaluate, let's wait a few more years before we make assumptions.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/01/14 at 2:43 pm

The Generation X/Y cuspers are those born from 1975-1981. They don't identify with either generation but most of them would choose Generation X if pressed to do so. To me, Generation Y/Z cuspers are those born from 1994-1997. I might change my stance on it in a few years. I don't think I'm a true Millennial or a Gen Zer. I was born in 1995. A true Millennial, like one who is 100% Generation Y, is someone who was born any time from 1982-1989. Most 80's babies, generally. A total Generation Zer is in my opinion someone who was born from 2001 to an unknown date. Pure Gen Zers are too young to evaluate, let's wait a few more years before we make assumptions.
I think people born from 1975 to 1977 are more X'ers as they were in high school in the 90s and finished before the millennial culture started. If true Y'ers are people born from 1982-89, then where does that leave people born from 1990-1993?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/02/14 at 7:31 am

I think what I find really interesting about generations is that it varies from person to person, based on their lives, tastes, and experiences...so there's really no 100% concrete definitive answer, it's really a "more often than not" thing.

Even if the Boomers are commonly recognized as 18 years, I think that's too long (and there's quite a difference between early Boomers and kinda the Generation Jones people born circa 1960)...generations should be like 10 years or no more than 12. Things like technology date it quicker anyway.

I'd probably put it like this

*whole Silent Generation: 1929-1945 (later ones, like '37-45 are young enough to have some Boomer qualities too)
*whole Baby Boomers: 1945 or 46-1964; hippies and Vietnam vets mostly 45-51, 52-55 kinda transitional, and generation jones and the more '70s people 56-64)
*whole Gen Xers: 1965-1980 (centering on 67-75 or so, like the early MTV generation)
*X and Y cuspers, circa 1975-1985. I've heard "the MTV generation" applied to these years too.
*whole Gen Y: 1982-1996. Anyone born before 1991 should remember some pre-internet years too, so you could subdivide it there.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/02/14 at 12:18 pm

I remember that when I was a kid in the 90's, everything I saw about Generation X suggested that they were the cool and new generation, rebelling against the stuffy boomers and silents. I didn't realize that Y existed or was a separate generation until I was in my late teens or early twenties, since so much of the marketing toward Generation X seemed to also apply to us (I'm 26 by the way, will be 27 in less than two months).

Now, however, I like my generation. Honestly, I think that X and Y are not so different in many ways. After all, both of us have been unfairly accused of being lazy and we both grew up with the general current popular music genres (rock, metal, rap, electronic, etc.) already existing yet still evolving in accordance with contemporary tastes.

I quite like the political direction my generation is taking.

I have always thought it was weird that people who were young adults who could have already earned their bachelor's or even been married when Woodstock occurred and children who at the same were barely out of kindergarten and surely had no memory of the JFK assassination or the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show were lumped together as Boomers. What is the logic to this?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/02/14 at 12:47 pm

I have always thought it was weird that people who were young adults who could have already earned their bacherlor's or even been married when Woodstock occurred and children who at the same were barely out of kindergarten and surely had no memory of the JFK assassination or the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show were lumped together as Boomers. What is the logic to this?

I think when it comes to Baby Boomers, they're defined primarily by birthrates and cultural attributions are kind of an afterthought. The "Woodstuck"-type stuff really only makes sense for the older Boomers. The fact is, you're never gonna find a subset of ~18 years where it actually makes sense for the then-18 year old to be "lumped in" with the then-baby as far as pop culture. The then-18 year old is always, understandably, going to be indignant about this. Meanwhile the then-baby will be all for it ;D But yeah, I've come to realize that the whole concept of generations is pointless because changes are almost always gradual.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/02/14 at 1:55 pm

In my opinion, Generation Y is the group of people who grew up with digital technology/household computers/internet, but remember when this stuff was not common or just very new. This most likely fits to those who have decent memories from before 2000; better would be pre-1997. Therefore I would put 1982-1992 into Generation Y.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/02/14 at 2:21 pm

.I have always thought it was weird that people who were young adults who could have already earned their bachelor's or even been married when Woodstock occurred and children who at the same were barely out of kindergarten and surely had no memory of the JFK assassination or the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show were lumped together as Boomers. What is the logic to this?

I don't normally post in these threads because I don't really care about the generation thing but as one of those
who was barely out of Kindergarten allow me to explain.

Too much emphasis is placed on the year someone is born and this shouldn't be the case. Instead on focusing on
the year of someones birth, focus on the parents that birthed them. My parents were born prior to the baby boom,
mind you, at the tail end of the previous generation. That makes me born in the baby boom generation, the tail end
of the generation but still in the confines of said generation. Any child born in this era birthed by boomers are next
generation, it is all about the parents.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/02/14 at 2:22 pm

In my opinion, Generation Y is the group of people who grew up with digital technology/household computers/internet, but remember when this stuff was not common or just very new. This most likely fits to those who have decent memories from before 2000; better would be pre-1997. Therefore I would put 1982-1992 into Generation Y.
Most people born in the 90s (except late 90s) also grew up with those things and can remember a time when they werent common either. Not only that, but most of them can even remember a time before 2000 came. 

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/02/14 at 3:22 pm

I can't speak for other countries, or other parts of the US, but where I lived near Seattle, daily internet use was already pretty solidified in middle class families by late 1997. Since long-term memory emerges in most people around the age of 5, that would make remembering pre-internet conditions very difficult for anyone not born before or in 1992.

When did daily internet use become common in your area/social class?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/02/14 at 3:28 pm

Most people born in the 90s (except late 90s) also grew up with those things and can remember a time when they werent common either.

I doubt it. If you were only or less than 5 years old when the internet became household, you were too young to value its benefits. Everything that came out until I was like 7 or 8 felt like it was always available and was not special at all.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/02/14 at 3:30 pm

In Germany around 1998. My household was a bit late, getting it in mid 2000.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/02/14 at 3:35 pm

Since long-term memory emerges in most people around the age of 5, that would make remembering pre-internet conditions very difficult for anyone not born before or in 1992.

Exactly, and it's not only about remembering pre-internet conditions. It's also about appreciating the new, and that's what most likely older children can (age 9 and older).

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/02/14 at 3:49 pm

We got our first computer and the internet at the same time. I was in 2nd grade (early '99) and I only remember using the web to look at pictures of Super Mario bros. related things for whatever reason. I don't remember if I thought of it as new and exciting at the time, but I also don't remember ever using the internet prior to that. It's certainly possible I used it at school though.

About a year or two later is when I remember using it to chat with friends via Instant Messenger.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/02/14 at 5:19 pm

I doubt it. If you were only or less than 5 years old when the internet became household, you were too young to value its benefits. Everything that came out until I was like 7 or 8 felt like it was always available and was not special at all.
I think my family first got the internet in 1999 since we had a desktop already and net-zero was our internet provider. I remember going on the computer often, but i didnt go on the internet until I was 9/10. The only thing I did on the PC was play games on it.

Exactly, and it's not only about remembering pre-internet conditions. It's also about appreciating the new, and that's what most likely older children can (age 9 and older).
I think I remember appreciating it when it was new. I first saw the internet when I was 6-8, but like I said, I didn't actually go on it until I was 9/10 years old.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 5:58 pm

I am one of the people who grew up with digital technology/computers and internet.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 5:59 pm

I'm going to have to say 2000 and beyond.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/02/14 at 11:45 pm

I can't speak for other countries, or other parts of the US, but where I lived near Seattle, daily internet use was already pretty solidified in middle class families by late 1997. Since long-term memory emerges in most people around the age of 5, that would make remembering pre-internet conditions very difficult for anyone not born before or in 1992.

Maybe it's because I'm in Silicon Valley but that's pretty much the way it was here too. My dad got internet for our house in the Fall of 1996 and I'd definitely say 97 is when it became ingrained into pop culture and the public consciousness. Of course, this was the very very old-school, basic, first generation internet with mostly text-based simple webpages...but there were still things like chatrooms and forums.

Going by that I'd say 1990 or 1991 would be the youngest that could without a doubt, remember SOME time before the internet. I'm willing to give it more wiggle room because even though a 6 or 7 year old may have known what the internet was, they might've not cared that much compared to 11-12+ year olds going online.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 2:23 am

1995/1996 and before were the pre internet world generally speaking. If you can get a grasp of life before 1997 and how people lived, you understand life before the internet. It was a time where you couldn't print out directions but use maps from AAA instead, a time where you had to use phonebooks instead of looking up numbers online, a time where you couldn't just look things up but had to go to the library or encyclopedias. I think 1990 borns and before remember the pre internet world.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/03/14 at 1:19 pm

1995/1996 and before were the pre internet world generally speaking. If you can get a grasp of life before 1997 and how people lived, you understand life before the internet. It was a time where you couldn't print out directions but use maps from AAA instead, a time where you had to use phonebooks instead of looking up numbers online, a time where you couldn't just look things up but had to go to the library or encyclopedias. I think 1990 borns and before remember the pre internet world.

True, that's actually a great comparison. And just because it was in the lexicon of pop culture, or websites were in TV commercials in 1997, doesn't mean that every household in America had it instantly either. That was probably early or even mid 2000s before it started to become harder to function in everyday life without it.

I bet there's some 1997 borns in Napolean Dynamite towns who can remember pre-internet life too.  ;D But overall I agree, early 90s borns seem like the last wave of old schoolers.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/03/14 at 2:32 pm

But overall I agree, early 90s borns seem like the last wave of old schoolers.

From my personal experience, between 1996 and 2001, internet was a "nice-to-have-thing" but nobody really expected you to have it (as a student). This slowly changed around 2001/02.

Therefore, the late 90s were still kind of 'old schoolish' in a way, so early 90s borns were old enough to get an idea about this pre-internet world. If you were born in 1993 or later, you were not even 10 when the internet was pretty much mainstream.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:56 pm

and at a time where you talked to people face to face instead of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram all the time.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/03/14 at 7:33 pm

From my personal experience, between 1996 and 2001, internet was a "nice-to-have-thing" but nobody really expected you to have it (as a student). This slowly changed around 2001/02.

Therefore, the late 90s were still kind of 'old schoolish' in a way, so early 90s borns were old enough to get an idea about this pre-internet world. If you were born in 1993 or later, you were not even 10 when the internet was pretty much mainstream.

I would agree with that. As late as 1999, phone books were still seen as relevant and necessary, for example.

Also, in 1999, with the slowness and impracticality of downloading mp3s as well as the non-existence of YouTube (which didn't appear until mid-2005), one could still have a largely pre-internet musical experience, waiting patiently by the radio for hours while hoping that your favorite station would play your favorite song (or you might even calli in to request it).

In addition, before Wikipedia became a mainstream phenomenon in the mid-2000's (I would say around 2005) and before it had proper protections from vandalization and emphasis on sourcing to make it something to be taken somewhat seriously, I still regularly used CD-ROM encyclopedias like Encarta or Encyclopaedia Britannica.

For all these reasons, I think we need to distinguish between the early internet (from roughly 1996 to, let's say, 2004, which is when Myspace got big and the now-cheesy 1990's web design had become dated beyond all shadow of a doubt) and the internet of today (which I think we could further subcategorize due to the increasing rapidness of change, but I won't do that now).

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 8:42 pm

I would agree with that. As late as 1999, phone books were still seen as relevant and necessary, for example.

Also, in 1999, with the slowness and impracticality of downloading mp3s as well as the non-existence of YouTube (which didn't appear until mid-2005), one could still have a largely pre-internet musical experience, waiting patiently by the radio for hours while hoping that your favorite station would play your favorite song (or you might even calli in to request it).

In addition, before Wikipedia became a mainstream phenomenon in the mid-2000's (I would say around 2005) and before it had proper protections from vandalization and emphasis on sourcing to make it something to be taken somewhat seriously, I still regularly used CD-ROM encyclopedias like Encarta or Encyclopaedia Britannica.

For all these reasons, I think we need to distinguish between the early internet (from roughly 1996 to, let's say, 2004, which is when Myspace got big and the now-cheesy 1990's web design had become dated beyond all shadow of a doubt) and the internet of today (which I think we could further subcategorize due to the increasing rapidness of change, but I won't do that now).

Even in the early 2000s, I would wait for hours listening to the radio for a song to come on.  My family didn't get broadband until 2004.  I think a lot of people forget about dial-up.  Downloading a single MP3 on dial-up from Napster took 30 minutes.  That was impractical to meet all your music needs especially if you only had a single landline in the house.  Of course if you were an early broadband adopter you were in music heaven back then, but most people still relied on the radio or CDs for their music.  Even if you downloaded MP3s, you would usually burn them straight to a CD.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/03/14 at 9:08 pm

I remember that when I was a kid in the 90's, everything I saw about Generation X suggested that they were the cool and new generation, rebelling against the stuffy boomers and silents. I didn't realize that Y existed or was a separate generation until I was in my late teens or early twenties, since so much of the marketing toward Generation X seemed to also apply to us (I'm 26 by the way, will be 27 in less than two months).

Now, however, I like my generation. Honestly, I think that X and Y are not so different in many ways. After all, both of us have been unfairly accused of being lazy and we both grew up with the general current popular music genres (rock, metal, rap, electronic, etc.) already existing yet still evolving in accordance with contemporary tastes.

Millenials are called "entitled" as well.  ::) Generation X people are middle aged now, or approaching it. When I was in my teens they were the ones producing most of the rock and pop I listened to. Back then, they were "cooler" than the previous generation who had aged. Most of what was marketed to teens then could have easily included early 20's people too.

What I would say too. Mid 90's would be cusp, but anything after would have definate 2000's upbringing and experiences of the 2000's.

With me it's interesting to see my own perspective changing. Years ago (late 90s/early mid 2000s) I hated when someone would assume I liked the 90s merely because of when I was in middle school/high school, and I wanted so so bad to be accepted as being an 80s kid, and resented being told I was "too young to really understand it/be there", especially since I have a hella good memory.  :D

If you're an early 80's born, you're an early Yer. You have some memories of the 80's, where your childhood began, then ended in the 90's when you became a teenager. You're in both. I was born in the middle of the 80's and my childhood was definately 90's.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 9:41 pm

A lot of '90s marketing was towards Generation X.  I guess that's why its kind of sealed in my mind that '90s teens and twentysomethings are Generation X.

Personally, I feel there is a big difference between Millennials and GenX.  There are some similarities between the generations but Millennials are in general far more politically and culturally engaged than GenX, a cohort known for their apathy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/03/14 at 11:55 pm

Actually, most 90s babies can remember a time without internet. People can remember some things back when they were 3 years old. I dont even think most people had the internet in their homes until sometime in 1999 and after. Also, since you said that the internet slowly became important by 2001-02, that means by then the mid 90s babies were 6-8 years old during that time giving them enough time (when they were 3 to 5 years old in the late 90s) to experience without the internet in their homes.

Even in the early 2000s, I would wait for hours listening to the radio for a song to come on.  My family didn't get broadband until 2004.  I think a lot of people forget about dial-up.  Downloading a single MP3 on dial-up from Napster took 30 minutes.  That was impractical to meet all your music needs especially if you only had a single landline in the house.  Of course if you were an early broadband adopter you were in music heaven back then, but most people still relied on the radio or CDs for their music.  Even if you downloaded MP3s, you would usually burn them straight to a CD.
Your post is so true. My family still had dial-up in the early 00s. We didnt even get broadband until 2005-06. and yes, people still used the radio and CDs for music until the late 00s when everyone had broadband and were able to put music on their Ipods.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/04/14 at 12:02 am

That's an excellent point. I actually used cassette tapes for radio mixes as late as 2006 on a regular basis, and CDs were far more essential back then. YouTube seemed to take off pretty much instantly, as opposed to other phenomenons that can take years...2006 was definitely the year it skyrocketed, and by 07-08 it was already mainstream. Discmen are extremely dated and cheesy looking now, and even CD players in cars are like a secondary form of playing music.

I'd definitely agree too that 1996-97 to 2004-05 was the first generation of the internet, and 2005-06 to now (especially 2008-09 to now) is the social media, high speed, modern one.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/04/14 at 3:15 am

Also, since you said that the internet slowly became important by 2001-02, that means by then the mid 90s babies were 6-8 years old during that time giving them enough time (when they were 3 to 5 years old in the late 90s) to experience without the internet in their homes.

If you think that these memories are strong enough to really remember the shift from a 'non-internet world' to the 'internet world', then it's totally fine. However, I was about 10 years old when I was totally aware of what the internet was, so also pretty young. Therefore it's hard for me to believe that people 5-10 years younger than me have experienced the same.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 4:43 am

That's an excellent point. I actually used cassette tapes for radio mixes as late as 2006 on a regular basis, and CDs were far more essential back then. YouTube seemed to take off pretty much instantly, as opposed to other phenomenons that can take years...2006 was definitely the year it skyrocketed, and by 07-08 it was already mainstream. Discmen are extremely dated and cheesy looking now, and even CD players in cars are like a secondary form of playing music.

I'd definitely agree too that 1996-97 to 2004-05 was the first generation of the internet, and 2005-06 to now (especially 2008-09 to now) is the social media, high speed, modern one.

I would say class of 04 and class of 05 would epitomize the people who grew up with first generation internet.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 10:39 am

If you think that these memories are strong enough to really remember the shift from a 'non-internet world' to the 'internet world', then it's totally fine. However, I was about 10 years old when I was totally aware of what the internet was, so also pretty young. Therefore it's hard for me to believe that people 5-10 years younger than me have experienced the same.
But you did say that it was gradually changing from no internet to internet which means from 1996-2000, it was still a no-internet world because even though people knew what it was, most still didn't have it in their homes to use it. That means that most kids experienced the world without the internet even in the late 90s, so that tells me that most 90s babies experienced a non-internet period before it became important to have it in homes. 

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:46 pm

Even in the early 2000s, I would wait for hours listening to the radio for a song to come on.

Now you can go to a music website and ask for a song they'll play and they'll play it right away, no waiting.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/04/14 at 3:54 pm

But you did say that it was gradually changing from no internet to internet which means from 1996-2000, it was still a no-internet world because even though people knew what it was, most still didn't have it in their homes to use it. That means that most kids experienced the world without the internet even in the late 90s, so that tells me that most 90s babies experienced a non-internet period before it became important to have it in homes.

Actually most people had internet in 1999 & 2000.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/04/14 at 4:52 pm

No, that's not true. According to this source, only 4.1 % of the world population had internet in 1999 (vs. 40.7 % today):
http://www.internetworldstats.com/emarketing.htm

In 2000, it was not even half of the population of the US:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/276445/number-of-internet-users-in-the-united-states/

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 6:31 pm

No, that's not true. According to this source, only 4.1 % of the world population had internet in 1999 (vs. 40.7 % today):
http://www.internetworldstats.com/emarketing.htm

In 2000, it was not even half of the population of the US:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/276445/number-of-internet-users-in-the-united-states/
No. Visor's right. Most people had it in 1999 and 2000. There were about 125 million internet users in the US and 361 million internet users of the world in 2000.  Thats alot of people using it.

Thats true. They did, but I was just telling Inland that most kids experienced the world without internet in the late 90s (except 1999) as it was still under 50-100 million at the time.

Here is a photo from 2000 telling how many people in the US were using the internet from 1996 to 1999.

http://www.netbanker.com/Images/00-april-webusers2.jpg

Here's the website the photo came from

http://www.netbanker.com/2000/04/internet_usage_web_users_world.html

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 8:06 pm

True, that's actually a great comparison. And just because it was in the lexicon of pop culture, or websites were in TV commercials in 1997, doesn't mean that every household in America had it instantly either. That was probably early or even mid 2000s before it started to become harder to function in everyday life without it.

I bet there's some 1997 borns in Napolean Dynamite towns who can remember pre-internet life too.  ;D But overall I agree, early 90s borns seem like the last wave of old schoolers.

I was just thinking about this. Don't people from more economically depressed areas or areas with a darker vibe seem a bit old for their generation?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/05/14 at 12:23 am

No. Visor's right. Most people had it in 1999 and 2000. There were about 125 million internet users in the US and 361 million internet users of the world in 2000.  Thats alot of people using it.
Thats true. They did, but I was just telling Inland that most kids experienced the world without internet in the late 90s (except 1999) as it was still under 50-100 million at the time.

Here is a photo from 2000 telling how many people in the US were using the internet from 1996 to 1999.

http://www.netbanker.com/Images/00-april-webusers2.jpg

Here's the website the photo came from

http://www.netbanker.com/2000/04/internet_usage_web_users_world.html

You know how big the world population is, right? There were indeed a lot of users, but not most people were using it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/05/14 at 12:38 am

You know how big the world population is, right? There were indeed a lot of users, but not most people were using it.
yes, there is about 8 billion people right now and I understand your point. What you're saying is that more than 5 billion people were not using the internet in 2000.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/14 at 2:44 pm

They started using Windows 2000.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/07/14 at 4:36 pm

I was just thinking about this. Don't people from more economically depressed areas or areas with a darker vibe seem a bit old for their generation?

I think so. Probably just because they'd have more exposure to older things.

Kinda another subject, but I think same with kids who have older than usual parents/relatives, as opposed to someone born from a teen mom who's only like 33 when they're in high school.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/07/14 at 5:04 pm

I think so. Probably just because they'd have more exposure to older things.

Kinda another subject, but I think same with kids who have older than usual parents/relatives, as opposed to someone born from a teen mom who's only like 33 when they're in high school.

My parents are a bit older than usual for my age. Most people my age (almost 27) do have boomer parents, but usually they are late boomers from the end of the 1950's or very early 60's. My parents are both from the first three years of the boomer generation, so I think they were pretty tuned out of pop culture by the time the 80's came around, being already in their early to mid thirties. Honestly, I don't really notice a huge difference between me and my peers pop-culturally. I like a lot of 80's music, but that has more than anything to do with my love of the gothic subculture which took off in that decade. I have come to enjoy some music from the 60's and early 70's that my parents liked that I used to be unable to stand.

I remember that you said that your dad was a bit older when he had you, do you think that affected your tastes versus those of your peers?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/07/14 at 6:53 pm

My parents are a bit older than usual for my age. Most people my age (almost 27) do have boomer parents, but usually they are late boomers from the end of the 1950's or very early 60's. My parents are both from the first three years of the boomer generation, so I think they were pretty tuned out of pop culture by the time the 80's came around, being already in their early to mid thirties. Honestly, I don't really notice a huge difference between me and my peers pop-culturally. I like a lot of 80's music, but that has more than anything to do with my love of the gothic subculture which took off in that decade. I have come to enjoy some music from the 60's and early 70's that my parents liked that I used to be unable to stand.

I remember that you said that your dad was a bit older when he had you, do you think that affected your tastes versus those of your peers?

I tend to agree. Your parents (circa 1947?) are inbetween my mom's (1954) and dad's (1938) ages and I think, while they were young enough to still be casual fans of 80s pop culture (as a kid I can remember some 35/40 year olds who were into the music), many probably also weren't, especially if they were into careers and families, or just too attached to the hippie culture of the 60s-70s.

I imagine it depends on the kind of 80s music too. I bet your parents would like John Cougar Mellencamp more than New Kids on the Block. ;D

Yeah, I'd say that's true with me too. Besides having a closer connection to the deep past anyway (shoot, I had grandparents born in 1900 and 1907!), I almost feel like an honorary early boomer because of my dad's experiences and also him being a big Motown/classic rock/oldies music listener.

I'd generally say he likes 1940s-50s, a lot of 60s-70s, with some of the mellower or classic rock 80s songs too (actually a surprising amount for his age).

Written By: Howard on 08/08/14 at 7:18 am

My Father who will turn 73 in October, He likes 40's, 50's 60's and some 70's and 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...