inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Past generations think today's generation of culture (or before) is terrible

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/14 at 5:03 pm

This is a generalization that some people get tired of hearing. I know older people who like today's generation culture from movies, TV, music artists/bands and fashion. I know younger people who like past generation cultures (X's, Boomers, Slients) of fashion, TV, movies and music artists/bands.

Do you guys agree with this?

Subject: Re: Past generations think today's generation of culture (or before) is terrible

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/18/14 at 10:25 pm

I didn't grow up in the 80's and the four years of it I lived through I was too young for the music and movies I liked when I got older. They don't make horror movies quite the same as the iconic slasher films of that era, and TV was entertaining without being overly raunchy. I knew a girl who had a DVD set of 21 Jump Street and we'd watch that, and I liked the show. 80's music was fun too, though I'd never want to live through the fashion if that's all there was to wear.

Subject: Re: Past generations think today's generation of culture (or before) is terrible

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/14 at 10:40 pm

I didn't grow up in the 80's and the four years of it I lived through I was too young for the music and movies I liked when I got older. They don't make horror movies quite the same as the iconic slasher films of that era, and TV was entertaining without being overly raunchy. I knew a girl who had a DVD set of 21 Jump Street and we'd watch that, and I liked the show. 80's music was fun too, though I'd never want to live through the fashion if that's all there was to wear.
I watched the Purge last year and it wasn't scary at all and as for TV, you're completely right as there isnt many friendly TV shows today. 

Written By: Howard on 08/19/14 at 1:56 pm

I don't think today's culture is terrible, I just choose not to listen to it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/19/14 at 6:39 pm

I don't think today's culture is terrible, I just choose not to listen to it.
Thats very understandable. Have you watched any of the movies targeted at today's mainstream audience?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/20/14 at 6:03 am

I watched the Purge last year and it wasn't scary at all and as for TV, you're completely right as there isnt many friendly TV shows today.

Today's horror movies just aren't the same. Once in a while you'll get a good one, but these days it's either unoriginality or bad storylines. TV shows could use cleaning up.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/14 at 8:46 am

Today's horror movies just aren't the same. Once in a while you'll get a good one, but these days it's either unoriginality or bad storylines. TV shows could use cleaning up.
we need tv shows  again where everyone can watch it and not be towards a certain audience and today's horror movies definitely needs more improvement. I have watched haunted house and it wasn't bad, I but I heard there was a  really great scary movie that was released last year.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/14 at 1:42 pm

Thats very understandable. Have you watched any of the movies targeted at today's mainstream audience?

maybe a few.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/14 at 1:44 pm

I used to enjoy horror films from the 80's like Freddy Kruger, Jason and Chucky.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/14 at 1:45 pm

we need tv shows  again where everyone can watch it and not be towards a certain audience and today's horror movies definitely needs more improvement.

we're living in this G-PG rated world where most shows are targeted for the kids.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/21/14 at 1:51 am

This is a generalization that some people get tired of hearing. I know older people who like today's generation culture from movies, TV, music artists/bands and fashion. I know younger people who like past generation cultures (X's, Boomers, Slients) of fashion, TV, movies and music artists/bands.

Do you guys agree with this?

Very much agree. I think stereotypes and blanket statements/generalizations annoy me no matter whom they're directed at. ;) Probably because it's like (a very mild form of, but still) judging someone before you even know them and just assuming stuff.

Yeah, there's like always this automatic assumption that people only like the pop culture and things in the world from when they were 10 to 24 or whatever, and they always laugh at anything before it/think it's stupid, and bemoan and criticize anything that comes afterwards in a grumpy old person way.

It actually makes me really happy whenever anyone is a fan of things on either side of "their time". :) People can be casual fans of music or casual moviegoers and stuff into their 40s I think, and obviously many teens/young people are fans of things before they were born too.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/21/14 at 2:03 am

The usual cliche is that people generally like their pop culture from age 12 to 25.

And my name wasn't formerly 80sfan for no reason!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/14 at 2:08 am

Very much agree. I think stereotypes and blanket statements/generalizations annoy me no matter whom they're directed at. ;) Probably because it's like (a very mild form of, but still) judging someone before you even know them and just assuming stuff.

Yeah, there's like always this automatic assumption that people only like the pop culture and things in the world from when they were 10 to 24 or whatever, and they always laugh at anything before it/think it's stupid, and bemoan and criticize anything that comes afterwards in a grumpy old person way.

It actually makes me really happy whenever anyone is a fan of things on either side of "their time". :) People can be casual fans of music or casual moviegoers and stuff into their 40s I think, and obviously many teens/young people are fans of things before they were born too.
This is exactly what i'm talking about. My parents and other older relatives listen to music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but they also listen to today's music as well (not the mainstream stuff) Not only that, but my sisters, cousins, and I also like 70s and 80s music too.

The usual cliche is that people generally like their pop culture from age 12 to 25.

And my name wasn't formerly 80sfan for no reason!
It's actually more like 10 to 25, but I still agree with you. there are young people who like Elvis, the beatles, Nirvana, and Motley Crue while there are older people who like ariana grande, katy perry, lady gaga, lana del rey, and kanye west.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/21/14 at 2:56 am

This is exactly what i'm talking about. My parents and other older relatives listen to music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but they also listen to today's music as well (not the mainstream stuff) Not only that, but my sisters, cousins, and I also like 70s and 80s music too.

This is very true too. I think you kinda get pickier about what you like when you're over 25/over 30, but (just using myself, almost 33, as an example) I actually really like indie bands, or the more retro tinged current music such as Bruno Mars and Maroon 5.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/14 at 8:47 am

This is very true too. I think you kinda get pickier about what you like when you're over 25/over 30, but (just using myself, almost 33, as an example) I actually really like indie bands, or the more retro tinged current music such as Bruno Mars and Maroon 5.
I think so too because one of my cousins who is 28, she listens to lana del rey, certain today's rappers,  and some rock and indie music.  Also, Bruno Mars is a perfect example. There are definitely older people who like his music.  Same thing with Lana Del Rey, Pharell Williams, and Adele. Older people like them too, not just younger people.

maybe a few.
do you remember the movie titles?

we're living in this G-PG rated world where most shows are targeted for the kids.
Yep. That's true, but then there are some shows that target everyone and not just kids.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/21/14 at 10:15 am

I think we are at an era where you're no longer expected to like certain music just because of your age. I think when music gets better, we will see a lot older and younger fans than we used to.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/21/14 at 11:07 am

I think we are at an era where you're no longer expected to like certain music just because of your age. I think when music gets better, we will see a lot older and younger fans than we used to.

I imagine this might have to do with the ready availability of any sort of music at the tips of your fingers that even 10 years ago didn't exist. I am guessing that, before that (and above all, before the internet as it existed in the second half of the 90's and the early 00's, which made sampling new music a bit easier, albeit in a less laser-focused way), unless you owned a past album, had friends who did, or read reviews of older CDs, it must have been fairly difficult to find music that wasn't currently popular, save for a few specialty radio stations or Oldies' stations for songs that had become both old and enduring enough to become classic.

I think all this led to greater segmentation of musical tastes by generation in the past. However, now, any person of any age can go on YouTube and listen to Beatles' songs from 50 years ago (as well as more obscure music from the same period or any other) with the same ease as whatever is popular (or obscure) right now. I briefly taught 6th grade at a school here in Mexico City last year and at least one boy's favorite group was the Beatles and another's was, I believe, Twisted Sister. On the other end of the spectrum, at the language school where I had previously taught English just a few months prior, there was a 38-year old anthropologist who was a huge, huge fan of Lady Gaga.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/14 at 1:45 pm

what do they have to say about today's music?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/14 at 1:48 pm

do you remember the movie titles?

not at the top of my head.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/14 at 1:49 pm

This is because there's hardly anything out there that peaks my interest.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/14 at 8:12 pm

what do they have to say about today's music?
They say it's getting better for hip-hop and R&B. One of my uncles actually listens to Chief Keef and he is 44. My mom has her generation of music, but she also has all of today's rap on her phone. My dad has some of today's rap on his phone. One of my aunties listens to some of today's music (especially rap and R&B). They dont listen to the mainstream music that comes on the radio (except Rihanna, Chris Brown, Big Sean, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj and some others. however, they have listened to Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines, Pharrell Willams's Happy, Iggy Azalea's Fancy, 23 featuring Miley Cyrus, JT's Suit & Tie, and Bruno Mars's songs.

not at the top of my head.
It's alright.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/22/14 at 4:31 am

I think so too because one of my cousins who is 28, she listens to lana del rey, certain today's rappers,  and some rock and indie music.  Also, Bruno Mars is a perfect example. There are definitely older people who like his music.  Same thing with Lana Del Rey, Pharell Williams, and Adele. Older people like them too, not just younger people.

I think I'll make a separate post about this, but that's a great point. Actually I think the biggest hip hop fans aren't teenagers, but 20s and maybe early 30s people who grew up with it in the 90s and 00s.

Yeah, Bruno, Adele, M5, Pharell and all pretty easily enjoyable by adults too because they're more melodic. I imagine in the 80s it was the same demographic. Like more (back then) over 25 adults probably liked Hall and Oates or Springsteen and Chicago, than New Kids on the Block. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/22/14 at 9:19 am

I think I'll make a separate post about this, but that's a great point. Actually I think the biggest hip hop fans aren't teenagers, but 20s and maybe early 30s people who grew up with it in the 90s and 00s.

Yeah, Bruno, Adele, M5, Pharell and all pretty easily enjoyable by adults too because they're more melodic. I imagine in the 80s it was the same demographic. Like more (back then) over 25 adults probably liked Hall and Oates or Springsteen and Chicago, than New Kids on the Block. ;D
  I say the same thing too. I even say the people who were over 25 in the 80s also liked MJ, Madonna, any other black artists (except rappers) as they also made more melodic and enjoyable songs too (I have listened to most of them).

I think so too because my older relatives who listened to hip-hop back in the 90s and 00s, are still listening to it  today.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/14 at 1:54 pm

I even say the people who were over 25 in the 80s also liked MJ, Madonna, any other black artists (except rappers) as they also made more melodic and enjoyable songs too (I have listened to most of them

and I'm the guys that are over the age of 25.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/22/14 at 2:26 pm

and I'm the guys that are over the age of 25.
You are today, but back in the 80s, you werent as you were the target audience of pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/14 at 6:58 am

You are today, but back in the 80s, you werent as you were the target audience of pop culture.

I was a different target audience.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/23/14 at 9:49 am

I've become fussier with my taste in movies, but also expanded the categories I will watch. As a teenager it was horror and comedy all the way.

Artists like Adele have a style that can appeal to a wider range of ages though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/14 at 11:30 am

I was a different target audience.
yep. You must have enjoyed it when it was there.

Artists like Adele have a style that can appeal to a wider range of ages though.
they sure do. Those are also the type of artists that everyone listened to and were enjoyable throughout the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I think that's what today needs.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/14 at 6:10 pm

I've become fussier with my taste in movies, but also expanded the categories I will watch. As a teenager it was horror and comedy all the way.

same goes for me but I like funny stupid comedies cause I like to laugh.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/24/14 at 1:42 am

I say the same thing too. I even say the people who were over 25 in the 80s also liked MJ, Madonna, any other black artists (except rappers) as they also made more melodic and enjoyable songs too (I have listened to most of them).

I think so too because my older relatives who listened to hip-hop back in the 90s and 00s, are still listening to it  today.

Yeah MJ, Madonna, Lionel Richie and Cyndi were pop/dance music but also very melodic and probably had some casual fans even as old as their 40s.

Yeah, I'm that way with movies too. As a kid in the early-mid 90s I mostly liked goofy or lighthearted comedies like the Ernest movies, Wayne's World, Police Academy, Bill and Ted, Ace Ventura, etc. but I like almost every genre now.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/14 at 6:55 am

Yeah MJ, Madonna, Lionel Richie and Cyndi were pop/dance music but also very melodic and probably had some casual fans even as old as their 40s.

The fan base is probably 30's, 40's and 50+.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/24/14 at 9:02 am

I bet they did. I am even thinking that my grandparents, great grandparents and great aunties and uncles enjoyed 80s music  and they were over 35.

Check for new replies or respond here...