inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are most hip hop fans in their 20s/early 30s as opposed to teens?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/24/14 at 1:10 am

It seems like most people who love rap and hip hop styled music aren't tweens or teens, but young adults in their 20s and maybe early 30s. Like if you were a teenager around 2004 when rap was absolutely massive, I could see them sticking with that sound as they got older.

I'm not around current kids or teens much, so I kinda have to go with what I've observed in the media or online, but I notice far more "I'm 13 and I love this song!" on 80s or classic rock videos on YouTube comments far more than that from 20somethings. In fact, I wonder if the tendency of circa 1982-1992 borns to cling to rhythmic music, is one reason more melodic indie stuff like Owl City and Foster the People, Of Monsters and Men doesn't catch on nearly as much...or they'll just have like a one-off crossover hit but it never ever dominates the charts the way Katy does.

Even though 1D are corny and cheesy with their hordes of little girl fans, I actually prefer that over any hip hop or club styled rhythmic music. At least its cleancut and kinda catchy. :)

Subject: Re: Are most hip hop fans in their 20s/early 30s as opposed to teens?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/24/14 at 2:03 am

It seems like most people who love rap and hip hop styled music aren't tweens or teens, but young adults in their 20s and maybe early 30s. Like if you were a teenager around 2004 when rap was absolutely massive, I could see them sticking with that sound as they got older.

I'm not around current kids or teens much, so I kinda have to go with what I've observed in the media or online, but I notice far more "I'm 13 and I love this song!" on 80s or classic rock videos on YouTube comments far more than that from 20somethings. In fact, I wonder if the tendency of circa 1982-1992 borns to cling to rhythmic music, is one reason more melodic indie stuff like Owl City and Foster the People, Of Monsters and Men doesn't catch on nearly as much...or they'll just have like a one-off crossover hit but it never ever dominates the charts the way Katy does.

Even though 1D are corny and cheesy with their hordes of little girl fans, I actually prefer that over any hip hop or club styled rhythmic music. At least its cleancut and kinda catchy. :)
I say yes because now that you mentioned the hip-hop club music, that was definitely popular with the group you mentioned and people born after 1992 and it was everywhere during the 2000s. I think you're right, I don't think it is popular with today's teens as it's not mainstream anymore except for certain songs.  Last, I understand what you are saying, Hip-hop club style music did have lots of hidden inappropriate content and because of that, most kids wouldn't be able to listen to that music and were only allowed to listen to clean songs. 

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/24/14 at 2:08 am

I say yes because now that you mentioned the hip-hop club music, that was definitely popular with the group you mentioned and people born after 1992 and it was everywhere during the 2000s. I think you're right, I don't think it is popular with today's teens as it's not mainstream anymore except for certain songs.  Last, I understand what you are saying, Hip-hop club style music did have lots of hidden inappropriate content and because of that, most kids wouldn't be able to listen to that music and were only allowed to listen to clean songs.

It'd be really interesting if some teens born in the late 90s or very early 2000s posted here to give us their observations, but I'd say you're right about that too. I hadn't thought of that, but I bet a lot of parents (even if they themselves are fans) wouldn't let their, say 10 year olds listen to the dirtier or more explicit hip hop songs. I wonder if that's why more kids and young teens actually seem more open to 80s or modern indie music or classics like The Beatles?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/24/14 at 8:54 am

It'd be really interesting if some teens born in the late 90s or very early 2000s posted here to give us their observations, but I'd say you're right about that too. I hadn't thought of that, but I bet a lot of parents (even if they themselves are fans) wouldn't let their, say 10 year olds listen to the dirtier or more explicit hip hop songs. I wonder if that's why more kids and young teens actually seem more open to 80s or modern indie music or classics like The Beatles?
it sure would. There has only been a few on here. One day,  there will be more of them. Not only are today's kids and teens open to older music,  they actually even like it too (I have seen comments on YouTube) ranging from the 60s to early 00s. Yeah, I have a niece who is 7 and I dont think her mom lets her listen to dirty rap songs.  I think she can't even listen to hip-hop as all. I have also seen a few my second cousins and when I was at my aunties rented hotel, the kids aged 5 to 9 could not dance to the rap songs nor listen  to it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/24/14 at 11:58 am

Since I was an 00s teen I used to wonder if most 00s kids were exposed to that and thought it would be one of the least innocent times to be a kid. Lo and behold I was shocked when a lot of them saw 2004 as innocent times. I kind of shaking my head when they said how the style of dress, the music, and even the TV was innocent. I then learned the music they listened to in the 00s was more along the lines of Hillary Duff. A lot listened to Radio Disney.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/24/14 at 12:31 pm

Since I was an 00s teen I used to wonder if most 00s kids were exposed to that and thought it would be one of the least innocent times to be a kid. Lo and behold I was shocked when a lot of them saw 2004 as innocent times. I kind of shaking my head when they said how the style of dress, the music, and even the TV was innocent. I then learned the music they listened to in the 00s was more along the lines of Hillary Duff. A lot listened to Radio Disney.

The 2000s had a lot of teen and young adult oriented pop culture and the kid stuff wasn't at the forefront, unlike the 90s. It's the same with the 80s. They both had their kid culture, but it wasn't really memorable and stuff aimed at those aged 14-25 made more of an impact.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/14 at 2:03 pm

I think an old school hip hop fan would be in their 40's and early 50's, A new school hip hop fan would be in their late teens and early to mid to late 20's.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/25/14 at 5:53 pm

Yeah that does sound so weird on the surface, but I guess the edgy early 00s and the kiddie 00s pop culture kinda existed on different worlds. I wonder if some of today's high school kids even give a sh*t about if they might've been too young to listen to Usher or watch reality TV at 7 back in 2004.

Lots of little kids in 99-02 were Britney and Christina fans, and I wonder if they just weren't allowed to watch all their videos and performances once they both got naughtier and more risque circa 2003 (in fact I bet they or the record companies did that just so they wouldn't be typecast as teenyboppers). And the dudes like Timberlake just changed their sound and went more straight R&B pop.

The 2000s had a lot of teen and young adult oriented pop culture and the kid stuff wasn't at the forefront, unlike the 90s. It's the same with the 80s. They both had their kid culture, but it wasn't really memorable and stuff aimed at those aged 14-25 made more of an impact.

This is very true too, how the 80s/2000s were both kinda aimed at teens and early 20s (with some kid stuff thrown in) whereas the 90s was very heavy on kids pop culture.

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 9:23 pm

Yeah I saw on youtube how this 12 year old thought a Peter Cetera song from the early 90's was cool and he wrote how his classmates thought he was crazy for thinking Cetera was cool.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/14 at 6:43 pm

I am in my late 20s and my 2014 music on my iPod is probably 70% rhythmic/hip-hop and 30% EDM-based pop.  This has actually been a slightly better year for rhythmic music than 2013 was. 

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 4:18 pm

I am in my late 20s and my 2014 music on my iPod is probably 70% rhythmic/hip-hop and 30% EDM-based pop.  This has actually been a slightly better year for rhythmic music than 2013 was.
This year has also been better for rock music too, which is pretty awesome.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/24/14 at 6:31 pm

Yeah I saw on youtube how this 12 year old thought a Peter Cetera song from the early 90's was cool and he wrote how his classmates thought he was crazy for thinking Cetera was cool.

Oh yeah I really like Cetera and what's funny is I'm probably in the same boat as that kid... since that kind of AC synthpop/rock he did was just as uncool to kids back in the 90s too. ;D

Written By: tv on 02/08/15 at 6:53 pm

I talked to this 20 year old I work with on Friday's and he doesn't like today's rap but he listens to 2Pac. Based on his age he missed when hip-hop was very popular from 2003-mid 2008.

Check for new replies or respond here...