inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Being made fun of because of your music taste

Written By: aja675 on 08/29/14 at 6:53 am

Has it happened to you?

Subject: Re: Being made fun of because of your music taste

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/29/14 at 7:37 am

Yes! In jr. high because I liked metal rather than crappy rap and some boy said I didn't listen to decent music. As if!  ::)

Written By: aja675 on 08/29/14 at 7:53 am

In my case, I've been made fun of for having poppy taste in music.

Written By: aja675 on 08/29/14 at 7:55 am

BTW, would you say that pop has a stigma attached to it that no other genre has because it's associated with girls who act like this?:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ozyvodcsm0sV105WuaWtbsQNSK0FOCgM2gRUYrKfbmjJ-SwlCw

Written By: Howard on 08/29/14 at 1:01 pm

Yes! In jr. high because I liked metal rather than crappy rap and some boy said I didn't listen to decent music. As if!  ::)

It's your preference, you have the right to listen to whatever you want.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/14 at 1:05 pm

BTW, would you say that pop has a stigma attached to it that no other genre has because it's associated with girls who act like this?:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ozyvodcsm0sV105WuaWtbsQNSK0FOCgM2gRUYrKfbmjJ-SwlCw

I guess some teen girls like teen pop artists of today such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj. Like for instance on Channel 4 in New York this morning when the audience heard that Ariana Grande was about to make her presence on stage, teens went ape crazy. This is the world we're living in now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/14 at 4:59 am

No, my music taste has always been admired by friends and family.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/14 at 7:18 am

friends and family always respected my taste in music.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/06/14 at 12:11 am

Has it happened to you?

Ever since I was 12.  ;D

Still does too, I think since so many people in their 20s and sometimes even early-mid 30s gravitate towards rhythmic pop or hip hop oriented music...my 80s pop, oldies/classic rock, and indie or retro-tinged current music just doesn't gel with them and is too melodic. That stuff seems like more of an acquired taste

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/14 at 3:07 pm

One time one of my best friends & I were in a grocery store and we started having "an argument."

Her: I have the Bay City Rollers.

Me: Well, I have Barry Manilow.

Her: Well, I have Shawn Cassidy.

Me: Well, I have the Captain & Tennille.

We went on like that trying to one-up each other with the most cheesiest group/performer we could think of. And we were saying it like we were REALLY proud to have these groups/performers' recordings in our libraries. We looked around us and we could see people laughing-which was the point of it all-to make people laugh. And I'm sure most of the people laughing were saying to themselves, "I have one of their albums, too."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/14/14 at 11:33 pm

Has it happened to you?

As a matter of fact, one time it did happen to me... about ten years ago. Some crappy rap song was playing and I expressed my distaste of it, and some people in the same room as me were kindof offended.

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 09/19/14 at 10:14 am

During my second grade year, and all the way up to my freshman year of High School I listened to mainly top 40 pop and some 60s and 70s oldies from my mom's collection.  When I got into High School however, I shifted more towards my classic rock station with the likes of Zep, KISS,  Clapton, AC/DC, The Stones and Van Halen ect. I would also  listen to some 60s 70s and 80s pop music too.  I still paid some minor attention to a few "catchy" top 40 pop or rap hits here and there but not too often.  I never really cared that much about music to want to broadcast my music interests or judge other people by the music they liked.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 7:23 pm

I love some of the most unpopular music around (just listened to 'I should be so lucky' by Kylie Minogue) and I get some fun taking out of me from my mates as a result and I'm fine with it.

Besides, I've always been a 'follow the beat to your own drum' kind of person. It's a better alternative than pretending to love music I can't stand.

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 9:00 pm

Well yeah

Some guy at work...he is 27 and he was listening to the Cash Money Millionares and Lil Wayne's solo stuff a couple weeks ago. I was like in my mind who would listen to that stuff. I used to listen to the Cash Money Millionares song "Back That Azz Up" from 2000 but I am not 20 years old anymore.

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 4:32 pm

Kind of, a lot of people think it's weird that I listen to a lot of 80s and 90s music despite my age. One dude who liked to listen to Lil Wayne and other autotune crap said "at least my music is from this century".
I find it weird that even though 90s grunge fashion is back in, no one actually listens to music from that time except for popular stuff like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/24/14 at 7:33 pm

It has never happened to me. And if it does OH WELL, lol.

Written By: meesa on 09/24/14 at 8:42 pm

Sure, I have been made fun of. Do I care? no. It's my taste and if they don't like it they don't have to listen to what I listen to.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 3:20 pm

It has never happened to me. And if it does OH WELL, lol.

I don't remember if it happened to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...