inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Wave = The Teen Pop of the Late 1970s?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/02/14 at 11:33 am

Would you say new wave was the "teen pop" of the late 1970s? It started in the late 1970s with roots as early as 1975, with Kraftwerks single "Autobahn", which was released in 1975 and reached #25 on the Billboard Hot 100. It is krautrock, but song is pretty much the precursor to new wave.

Why I'm asking this question is because many late Generation Jones kids and early Generation Xers who were born in the mid 1960s were becoming teenagers at this time, and early Generation Yers were in the same position in the late 1990s. Both were being recognized as the next generation for music, so they presumably made a genre tailored to them. Kinda to give them a "head start" I guess.

Subject: Re: New Wave = The Teen Pop of the Late 1970s?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/14 at 1:06 pm

Hmm, in my opinion, New Wave sounds way more 'adult' and 'darker' than the stuff we had in the late 90s/early 00s. You can't really compare them...

I'd rather say that electropop, which became popular in the late 00s, is the teen pop of the 2010s.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/02/14 at 1:21 pm

Hmm, in my opinion, New Wave sounds way more 'adult' and 'darker' than the stuff we had in the late 90s/early 00s. You can't really compare them...

I'd rather say that electropop, which became popular in the late 00s, is the teen pop of the 2010s.

True, but you're probably thinking of the stuff from 1981 onwards, such as Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)". The songs from 1978–1980 are pretty light and juvenile.

Examples:
Just What I Needed - The Cars (1978)
Heart of Glass - Blondie (1979)
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles (1979)
Whip It - Devo (1980)

As well as some others that I can't remember, but these songs are pretty light hearted.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/14 at 1:42 pm

In my opinion, the earliest music which features some real similarities with the later teen pop, is the music that came out in the late 80s/early 90s; for example New Kids on the Block:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrargw1rrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIEwIwYz-c

Check for new replies or respond here...