inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will people stop saying "I still think 10 years ago were the 90's"?

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 09/16/14 at 4:29 am

Sorry, I didn't know where to put this, because I guess this is about multiple decades (the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's). If this is in the wrong section please move it to the right one.

This pops up every now and then on Reddit, and it makes me feel bad. They say things like "The 90's will always be 10 years ago". I take it as saying the 2000's aren't worthy of being 10 years ago, and that you'd rather forget that decade existed. I find that extremely hateful. I want to say it'll go away in the late 2010's, but we're getting EXTREMELY close to then and people still say this! When do you think this will stop and what can we do about this?

EDIT: Also can someone tell me where else I can post this, because I posted this topic on Reddit twice and was met with so much "2000's hate" and that annoyed me.

Subject: Re: When will people stop saying "I still think 10 years ago were the 90's"?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/16/14 at 4:53 am

One problem could be the new millennium. After the 90s everything started again and when it comes to decades, the 90s was the last one with a "proper name". The 2000s or 00s always sounded awkward and what I also notice is, that a lot of people see 2000-2014 as one decade or one era.

I think this will change in the 2020s. In 2014, most years of the 90s are still "in their teens" ('99, '98, '97, '96, '95, '94) and not "in their 20s" ('94, '93, 92', 91', '90).

Subject: Re: When will people stop saying "I still think 10 years ago were the 90's"?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/16/14 at 9:46 am

That's the 2000s backlash for you. The '00s probably won't get any love until about 2018-ish, and that's probably just gonna be the year 2000.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/16/14 at 11:37 am

Sorry, I didn't know where to put this, because I guess this is about multiple decades (the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's). If this is in the wrong section please move it to the right one.

This pops up every now and then on Reddit, and it makes me feel bad. They say things like "The 90's will always be 10 years ago". I take it as saying the 2000's aren't worthy of being 10 years ago, and that you'd rather forget that decade existed. I find that extremely hateful. I want to say it'll go away in the late 2010's, but we're getting EXTREMELY close to then and people still say this! When do you think this will stop and what can we do about this?

EDIT: Also can someone tell me where else I can post this, because I posted this topic on Reddit twice and was met with so much "2000's hate" and that annoyed me.

I never thought about it that way, but you could be right. Whenever I hear stuff like that, I always just assumed it was clueless adults (sometimes even my age, scarily) who didn't realize how much time passed. I also hear stuff like "my god how can you be born in the 90s, I graduated high school that year/I was in college in 1993" blah blah, and it pisses me off too because it makes us all sound so old and out of touch.  :D

Even though I may not like the '00s to the extent I do the 80s and first half of the 90s (i.e. my childhood and perhaps very early teens) I actually think there was some pretty good pop culture then, and plenty of old school stuff still around that's gone now...and I miss some stuff from my own life too. So yeah, it bugs me when people speak in absolutes like that or lump it all together as crap.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/17/14 at 1:31 pm

I never thought about it that way, but you could be right. Whenever I hear stuff like that, I always just assumed it was clueless adults (sometimes even my age, scarily) who didn't realize how much time passed. I also hear stuff like "my god how can you be born in the 90s, I graduated high school that year/I was in college in 1993" blah blah, and it pisses me off too because it makes us all sound so old and out of touch.  :D

Even though I may not like the '00s to the extent I do the 80s and first half of the 90s (i.e. my childhood and perhaps very early teens) I actually think there was some pretty good pop culture then, and plenty of old school stuff still around that's gone now...and I miss some stuff from my own life too. So yeah, it bugs me when people speak in absolutes like that or lump it all together as crap.

I actually find myself feeling the same way about the '90s sometimes, even though I was still really young throughout most of the decade. I guess it's because some of the pop culture heavily associated with the '90s (stuff like Grunge, Friends, Seinfeld, early internet, etc.) still seems fairly "modern", or at least more "retro" (10 years ago), than "classic" (20 years ago). I mean, think about it, in just three years, Limp Bizkit's first album will be 20 years old! :o

I agree about the '00s hate getting old. I was pretty down on the decade myself just a few years ago, but as I've gotten older, and as the '00s have gotten further away, I've come to appreciate it more and more.  I mean, sure there was alot of crap, but frankly, every decade has it's share of crap.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/20/14 at 2:14 am

I actually find myself feeling the same way about the '90s sometimes, even though I was still really young throughout most of the decade. I guess it's because some of the pop culture heavily associated with the '90s (stuff like Grunge, Friends, Seinfeld, early internet, etc.) still seems fairly "modern", or at least more "retro" (10 years ago), than "classic" (20 years ago). I mean, think about it, in just three years, Limp Bizkit's first album will be 20 years old! :o

I agree about the '00s hate getting old. I was pretty down on the decade myself just a few years ago, but as I've gotten older, and as the '00s have gotten further away, I've come to appreciate it more and more.  I mean, sure there was alot of crap, but frankly, every decade has it's share of crap.

Very true (then again I almost always agree with you too!). I do wonder if one reason the perception of the 90s being semi close still is because so much 90s pop culture (i.e. Simpsons, Seinfeld) is still very well known or even still being made today (i.e. Family Guy and South Park).

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit trashing on the 00s especially when it was new. I think its human nature to dislike what's current sometimes, because we're surrounded by it and may wish other things we liked were more well-known and popular instead....but when you take it on its own terms, most of the 00s had some pretty cool things. Especially if you overlook the paranoid, warmongering right wing or homophobic attitudes.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/02/14 at 6:11 pm

One problem could be the new millennium. After the 90s everything started again and when it comes to decades, the 90s was the last one with a "proper name". The 2000s or 00s always sounded awkward and what I also notice is, that a lot of people see 2000-2014 as one decade or one era.

I think this will change in the 2020s. In 2014, most years of the 90s are still "in their teens" ('99, '98, '97, '96, '95, '94) and not "in their 20s" ('94, '93, 92', 91', '90).

You know what's really frightening? It won't be long at all before "30 years ago" is in the 90s!  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/02/14 at 6:31 pm

You know what's really frightening? It won't be long at all before "30 years ago" is in the 90s!  :o

2020 is not too far away, that's true, but it's still 5 years. And by the beginning of the new decade, it's only 1989/90 which will be 30 years ago.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/02/14 at 8:37 pm

1990 is 24 years ago, but 1998 is 16 years ago and even that is feeling more distant. The late years of the 90's aren't 20 years ago yet, but it definately feels and is more than 10. The late 90's and 2000's pop culture felt current throughout that decade, and there was some carry over. Of course when life passes so fast and you look back on your school years you'll remember things fondly and say "It felt like just yesterday..." though it's really not.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/02/14 at 9:04 pm

2020 is not too far away, that's true, but it's still 5 years. And by the beginning of the new decade, it's only 1989/90 which will be 30 years ago.

Yes true. I guess 2009 doesn't seem all that long ago though that's all, yet it's as close as 2020!

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 7:27 am

which is not too far away.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 7:28 am

only 6 years away.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/05/14 at 2:08 pm

I actually find myself feeling the same way about the '90s sometimes, even though I was still really young throughout most of the decade. I guess it's because some of the pop culture heavily associated with the '90s (stuff like Grunge, Friends, Seinfeld, early internet, etc.) still seems fairly "modern", or at least more "retro" (10 years ago), than "classic" (20 years ago).

I think it's because that stuff was still pretty popular and hip even in like 2005 in a lot of cases. In a few cases (The Simpsons, South Park, Spongebob, Pokemon) stuff that was around in the 90s is literally still in currency as well, which is another reason.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 5:12 pm

I think it's because that stuff was still pretty popular and hip even in like 2005 in a lot of cases.

When I have watched movies from the mid 90s in the mid 00s, even though slightly dated, those movies still felt recent enough to represent our world - For example "Groundhog Day" in like 2005/2006, or the "Truman Show" in the mid/late 00s...

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/05/14 at 6:39 pm

When I have watched movies from the mid 90s in the mid 00s, even though slightly dated, those movies still felt recent enough to represent our world - For example "Groundhog Day" in like 2005/2006, or the "Truman Show" in the mid/late 00s...

I think Groundhog Day already felt pretty dated actually ... but Truman Show, definitely. I feel like it was almost like a less serious version of the Matrix.

Written By: Jquar on 10/05/14 at 11:43 pm

Groundhog Day was filmed in 1992, so it was definitely dated by 2005.

I actually think most movies from 1970 onwards retain a contemporary, albeit dated, feel to them. Probably has something to do with the huge social changes we had in the 1960s and the end of film censorship around that time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 1:02 am

I actually think most movies from 1970 onwards retain a contemporary, albeit dated, feel to them.

From what I remember, the 80s felt very contemporary on Television when I was a child. I think a movie does not seem too old until it's about 15 years old.

About Groundhog Day, I think it didn't feel that old to me due to the fact that for example the cellphone-less world and the time of boxy cars still didn't seem so long ago in the mid 00s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/14 at 5:51 am

Groundhog day might not have felt outdated in 2005, but it sure feels outdated in 2014!  :( :(

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 6:00 am

I think I haven't seen it for 7 or 8 years now. It's probably extremely dated now. 

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:43 pm

I think I haven't seen it for 7 or 8 years now. It's probably extremely dated now.

It's been 21 years.  :o

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 2:02 pm

It is, I watched it recently. It could definitely pass for a late 80s movie. I think of Bill Murray as more of an 80s actor anyway even though he was still plenty popular throughout the 90s.

Written By: XYkid on 10/07/14 at 4:54 pm

George Takei posted on his facebook around a year ago that he still thinks the 80s are 20 years ago...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/07/14 at 5:18 pm

George Takei posted on his facebook around a year ago that he still thinks the 80s are 20 years ago...

Yeah, I can understand this. At this point, most of the 80s borns are still in their 20s and not in their 30s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/14 at 5:20 am

No one says that here!

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/21/14 at 11:53 am

I was born in the mid-1970s.  I associate the 2000s with the Nasdaq bubble crash, Sept 11th, the Iraq War and the 2008-2009 market crash.

From a pop culture perspective, I haven't had a firm grasp. I don't watch television at all, but watch a lot of movies and follow some musical trends - especially techno/trance.  I have a hard time putting a finger on what was unique or original about 2000s culture.  Facebook and Youtube were definitely new defining communication mediums, but neither really blossomed until the 2010s.

Techno was mostly an extension of the 1990s. Musical hits existed, but seem washed out by the I-Tunes phenomenon.  Maybe it would be helpful to shoot out a list of your favorite things from the decade.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/21/14 at 12:21 pm

Let me take a stab:

1. Fast and the Furious
2. The Ring
3. Beyonce and JZ
4. Justin Bieber
5. American Idol
6. Scream (I think)
7. Britney Spears
8. Eminem
9. Lady Gaga
10. Rhianna
11. Katie Perry
12. Harry Potter

I think the biggest issue is that downloadable music, too many TV channels, and very fast paced movie releases has made pop culture hard to band around and leave an imprint.  You will probably experience a similar feel in the coming years as streaming TV combined with increasing globalization further fractures the media landscape.

For example, in the 1970s and 1980s, most kids saw Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and ET multiple times in the theaters. I saw ET and Raiders at least 8 times each. When they were finally released on TV it was a really big deal and a large percentage of households were watching.

The only recent example I can think of that really seems to have approximated that level of popularity was the second part of the Hunger Games series, which created a strong cross-cutting media buzz for about a week.  Even that didn't hit seem to hit the mainstream population as hard as the last episode of Seinfeld or Cheers though.

2000s culture also seems highly divided between media catering to children and adults. This is in stark contrast to all the examples I sited above, which were widely embraced across generations. Many of the superhero movies made since 2000 and a few other series (esp Transformers and Lord of the Rings) seem to fit that billet, but none of these were created in the 2000s.

Am I missing something?

Written By: Howard on 11/21/14 at 1:23 pm

Facebook and Youtube were definitely new defining communication mediums, but neither really blossomed until the 2010s.

They became a mainstay in social media.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/21/14 at 2:08 pm

They became a mainstay in social media.

Technically both came into existence and quickly gained popularity in the mid-late 2000s.  I don't think either really hit their stride until the 2010s though.  YouTube, in particular, now functions as a TV option for anyone with one of many streaming devices.  Facebook user counts only surpasssed MySpace in 2008 and didn't really wipe out the competition (esp MySpace and Orkut) until the 2010s.

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/21/14 at 3:37 pm

Maybe it has to do with how people calculate the years; maybe many people calculate through 2000;
so 1980 is 20 years + 14 years ago. It somehow seems many people stopped counting after 2000, as if
there wasn't anything anymore to count towards.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/01/17 at 9:46 pm

It seems to have subsided a bit in the past three years.

I now hear people on Twitter and other sites often say "I still think 2007 was 3 years ago". :P This was a given, since people born later and later begin to dominate the Internet over people born earlier, a cycle that has existed since the Net came into existence.

Written By: 2001 on 03/01/17 at 9:57 pm

2007 was 5 or 6 years ago.

2010 was about 2 or 3 years ago.

2013 was last year.

2015 was a few months ago.

In my opinion.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/01/17 at 10:06 pm

3 years from now the 90's will officially be a generation ago. Creepy bruh  8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/01/17 at 10:07 pm

3 years from now the 90's will officially be a generation ago. Creepy bruh  8)

A generation is 25 years though isn't it, not 30?

(I'm talking about the dictionary definition of generations, not silly pop culture generations which this forum got a bit too caught up in at time)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/01/17 at 10:26 pm

(I'm talking about the dictionary definition of generations, not silly pop culture generations which this forum got a bit too caught up in at time)

In society a generation always been considered as an average of 30 years to most human beings.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/01/17 at 11:05 pm

In society a generation always been considered as an average of 30 years to most human beings.

30 is definitely the longest I've heard a generation is. Interesting, because 30 is when I consider someone to be a real adult, not 18.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/17 at 1:45 am

Through the years, I have always taken a generation to around 25 years, but with today's modern life style, with now partners starting a family late in life, the years will increase.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 9:17 pm

Technically both came into existence and quickly gained popularity in the mid-late 2000s.  I don't think either really hit their stride until the 2010s though.  YouTube, in particular, now functions as a TV option for anyone with one of many streaming devices.  Facebook user counts only surpasssed MySpace in 2008 and didn't really wipe out the competition (esp MySpace and Orkut) until the 2010s.

It did started to become noticeably popular towards everybody (especially older adults aged 40-80). The early 2010s was when Facebook started to become widely addictive towards everybody, including me. It was at those times when the games section was a hit towards users, especially with Farmville, Cityville, and other sorts.

It seems to have subsided a bit in the past three years.

I now hear people on Twitter and other sites often say "I still think 2007 was 3 years ago". :P This was a given, since people born later and later begin to dominate the Internet over people born earlier, a cycle that has existed since the Net came into existence.

I feel the same thing with the early 2010s, even though they're 4-7 years old right now. I still think 2010 feels like 5 years ago, while the 2000s were like 11-20 years old (since I was innocent throughout the decade).

Check for new replies or respond here...