inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you consider Classic TV?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/02/14 at 12:12 am

We've had threads for what is classic hits/oldies or classic rock, but apparently, nobody has made a thread yet about what comprises classic as opposed to contemporary TV. For me, it's anything that involves a show that premiered prior to 1999. Shows that premiered in 1999 such as The Sopranos, Spongebob Squarepants, and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire still feel too recent and influential on current TV that they just don't capture that feeling of nostalgia. Meanwhile, shows that premiered in 1997 or 1998 such as Sex and the City, The King of Queens, South Park, The Wild Thornberries, Catdog, Just Shoot Me, Ally McBeal, Charmed, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are clearly still seen as "somewhat old school" compared to the newer shows and can be considered '90s despite some lasting/peaking well into the '00s. Pharmaceutical, legal consultation, and other white collar commercials didn't dominate yet and many commercials were still made to make you enjoy the product. Also, around 2000, new shows during primetime increasingly started to be produced in HD.

Subject: Re: What do you consider Classic TV?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/02/14 at 2:57 am

It depends on the person I guess. For me anything before 1990.

Written By: gibbo on 11/02/14 at 4:37 am

It depends on your age as well. For me classic tv is the 60's shows.  Yes, there were great shows after then (i.e Hill Street Blues, MASH, Cheers, Streets of San Francisco, Rockford Files)...  etc etc etc. But the classic era (for me) was the 60's.  Here's just a few...

Dramas like:
Hawaii 5-0 
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Star Trek
Mission Impossible
77 Sunset Strip
Hawaiian Eye

Afternoon/evening shows like:
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Hogan's Heroes
Get Smart
Batman

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/02/14 at 10:43 am

I think shows that premiered in the late '80s but ran primarily through the '90s like Full House (1987-1995), Roseanne (1988-1997), Family Matters (1989-1998), or really any of the earlier TGIF shows have reached classic status. I'll throw Home Improvement (1991-1999) in there too. Even Friends (1994-2004) has recently made it's way to TVLand and was on Nick@Nite a few years ago. The more recent episodes probably still seem somewhat contemporary but there's no mistaking a first season episode for something current.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/14 at 1:31 pm

I would consider classic TV before 1969.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/14 at 6:39 pm

I don't think classic t.v. only has to do with time. It also has to do with quality. Some people might think that shows like Knots Landing is classic but the show that came on right after it? How many even remember the show Kay O'Brien? Would people call that show a classic?

Cat

Written By: robby76 on 11/03/14 at 9:22 am

I voted 1985 and earlier. A lot of early 80s shows still have that "classic" vibe. Once we got to the computer age of the 80s, things changed.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/03/14 at 12:42 pm

Also, like oldies, the definition of what is considered "Classic TV" can shift forward over time. Back in the early '90s when I was a kid, it was basically anything pre-1979, since you could still catch many '80s shows in reruns outside of Nick at Nite, in which the honest to good classics would be shown, along with the fact that production techniques weren't that much of a leap. Nowadays, with Nick at Nite playing '90s shows, it's only natural that those can be seen as the "new classics", which while fair for their day in terms of breaking ground, now seem quaint compared to the HD era and the more intense, in your face productions of today. But it can even include some of the smaller things. Stuff that died toward the end of the '90s such as The Emergency Broadcasting System, signing off with the national anthem at late night, and daily syndicated cartoons on non-cable networks also give me this feeling that an era had passed.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:35 pm

I voted 1985 and earlier. A lot of early 80s shows still have that "classic" vibe. Once we got to the computer age of the 80s, things changed.

Isn't "classic" the same thing as "retro"? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:41 pm

Stuff that died toward the end of the '90s such as The Emergency Broadcasting System, signing off with the national anthem at late night, and daily syndicated cartoons on non-cable networks also give me this feeling that an era had passed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdpLWML_tDU

Emergency Broadcast System

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/14 at 6:25 pm

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6499/snoffindtvii0.jpg

http://www.akdart.com/vtr/jpeg/monoscope1y.jpg

Cat

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/04/14 at 5:41 am

I would say 1995 and before. TV became a lot edgier from the second half of the '90s onward and I would say shows that debuted prior to 1995 tend to have an old fashioned feel to them, including shows that aired seasons into the early 2000s.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/04/14 at 5:42 am

I think shows that premiered in the late '80s but ran primarily through the '90s like Full House (1987-1995), Roseanne (1988-1997), Family Matters (1989-1998), or really any of the earlier TGIF shows have reached classic status. I'll throw Home Improvement (1991-1999) in there too. Even Friends (1994-2004) has recently made it's way to TVLand and was on Nick@Nite a few years ago. The more recent episodes probably still seem somewhat contemporary but there's no mistaking a first season episode for something current.

I would add Step by Step, Fresh Prince, Clarissa Explains It All and possibly Boy Meets World in there too. Actually I might say my definition of classic TV would be any television show that aired its first season before 1993 or '94. In that case even The Simpsons would qualify despite still being on the air. I don't think anyone would deny early '90s Simpsons is classic now.

Even some late '90s stuff might borderline qualify. Have you ever seen the Disney Channel reality show Bug Juice? It feels very dated, but it started in 1997.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/04/14 at 5:47 am

Also, like oldies, the definition of what is considered "Classic TV" can shift forward over time. Back in the early '90s when I was a kid, it was basically anything pre-1979, since you could still catch many '80s shows in reruns outside of Nick at Nite, in which the honest to good classics would be shown, along with the fact that production techniques weren't that much of a leap. Nowadays, with Nick at Nite playing '90s shows, it's only natural that those can be seen as the "new classics", which while fair for their day in terms of breaking ground, now seem quaint compared to the HD era and the more intense, in your face productions of today. But it can even include some of the smaller things. Stuff that died toward the end of the '90s such as The Emergency Broadcasting System, signing off with the national anthem at late night, and daily syndicated cartoons on non-cable networks also give me this feeling that an era had passed.

I remember Emergency Broadcast System tests in the late 00s actually. They always creeped me out! I wonder if they still have them? Maybe they stopped when TV switched over to digital in 2009.

Actually I still remember the Emergency Broadcast System well into the 00s. I wonder if it died with digital broadcasts replacing anga

Written By: Howard on 11/04/14 at 1:34 pm

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6499/snoffindtvii0.jpg

http://www.akdart.com/vtr/jpeg/monoscope1y.jpg

Cat

I remember those after a show was over and the national anthem played out.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/14 at 1:36 pm

I would say 1995 and before. TV became a lot edgier from the second half of the '90s onward and I would say shows that debuted prior to 1995 tend to have an old fashioned feel to them, including shows that aired seasons into the early 2000s.

I would think after the 1990's, reality TV shows became a thing to watch.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/14 at 1:37 pm

I remember Emergency Broadcast System tests in the late 00s actually. They always creeped me out! I wonder if they still have them? Maybe they stopped when TV switched over to digital in 2009.

I don't think they do anymore.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/06/14 at 7:47 pm

Actually I still remember the Emergency Broadcast System well into the 00s. I wonder if it died with digital broadcasts replacing

For radio/over-the-air digital TV, EAS (Emergency Alert System) is still active and functional, and was tested in 2011, a couple of years after the 2009 switchover from analog broadcast to digital broadcast TV.

As mobile devices replaced broadcast TV as the communications medium that most people glue their eyes to, the alert system changed too.  Your phone probably has an Alerts app.  You probably want to disable the Amber Alert level, not only because it doesn't work, but because on the few times that it does, the odds that you, at two o'clock in the morning, sitting in your bed, are going to be able to see the non-custodial parent's car are less than your odds of surviving a nuclear attack.  So after the fail of the Amber Alert system, you might end up turning all the alerts off that you can.  (And this is yet another example of why laws named for victims tend to be bad laws whose side effects tend to do more harm than good.)

But I digress.  On TV, an EAN (Emergency Action Notification) is the current mobile replacement for the broadcast EBS. 

RNQmVMXuuo4

It has never been activated, until about two weeks ago, when someone really screwed up.  The root cause of the failure was a radio station that replayed the tones from the 2011 EAS test, and accidentally triggered the system.  The EAS system is designed to be robust enough to survive nuclear war, and part of that means it traded security for convenience, and because the people who run radio and TV stations aren't security-minded, their lax approach to security means that EAS gets pranked (regionally, not nationally) every few years.

Back to the phone system, if you go into your alerts app, and you live in the United States, you can turn off the Amber alerts.  You can turn off the alerts about the 9.0 Cascadia Quake and the tsunami that will wipe out half the West Coast (or for you midwesterners, about the Sharknado that will send half of Kansas to Oz.)  But you'll see there's a kind of alert that you cannot turn off: the "Presidential Alert."

If the Presidential Alert function of your phone ever activates, get ready to have the most amusing ten minutes of your life, either because some clever EAShole has come up with something funnier than zombies rising from the dead, or because WW3 really has started, and you've got about ten minutes to amuse yourself before bending over and kissing your ass goodbye.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/11/14 at 6:56 pm

I would add Step by Step, Fresh Prince, Clarissa Explains It All and possibly Boy Meets World in there too. Actually I might say my definition of classic TV would be any television show that aired its first season before 1993 or '94. In that case even The Simpsons would qualify despite still being on the air. I don't think anyone would deny early '90s Simpsons is classic now.

I would agree all those qualify.

Even some late '90s stuff might borderline qualify.

Like King of Queens (1998-2007) for instance? That show and Everybody loves Raymond (1996-2005) have become TVLand staples in the last few years. I would definitely argue that they fit in more with a classic '80s sitcom than the sitcoms currently being produced.

Fun fact about King of Queens that I saw on it's wiki page: After the series finale broadcast on May 14, 2007, The King of Queens became the last American live action sitcom that premiered in the 1990s to end its run. I find that kind of surprising actually.

Have you ever seen the Disney Channel reality show Bug Juice? It feels very dated, but it started in 1997.

I remember the show mainly because my brother and cousin used to make fun of it, but I don't really remember watching it. My family actually didn't get Disney Channel until the very early '00s I wanna say.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/12/14 at 10:50 pm

My family actually didn't get Disney Channel until the very early '00s I wanna say.

Yeah I think we got Disney in '98 or '99. I thought late 90s and early 00s Disney Channel was awesome, but I think it was still pay TV up until about 2000 or so and not part of basic cable so it wasn't nearly as watched as Nickelodeon at the time. It's probably only been since Hannah Montana began in 2006 that Disney Channel's had about the same popularity as Nick or 2003 at the very earliest. Shows like So Weird and The Famous Jett Jackson (RIP Lee Thompson Young) are practically forgotten these days! I switched from being a Nick fan to a Disney fan after we got Disney Channel though I still liked a few shows like the Wild Thornberries into the very early 2000s.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/12/14 at 11:52 pm

I loved So Weird! I sometimes had to beg my mom to let me stay up and watch it because I think it came on when I was supposed to go to bed. Sadly you're right that not a lot of people remember it. I remember I got really into Disney channel around 2001-02.

Written By: nally on 02/05/15 at 11:53 pm

It depends on the person I guess.

I can agree with you there. Right now I don't have a cutoff point, but I could consider most "classic tv" shows as those which premiered before I was born (1980), even if they ended their runs after i was born.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/15 at 7:35 am

anything from the 50's 60's 70's and 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...