inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Novelty vs Nostalgia?

Written By: sporty on 03/01/15 at 12:20 pm

Some psychologists claim that some adults use nostalgia as a comfort blanket to remind them of their childhood self. Is that the case with you? I've noticed that I no longer find some things that I liked as cool. We all miss our childhood, but for me I mostly miss my state of mind back then, not pop culture that much. And if you think about it, present-day tech is a lot better. I love my Samsung smartphone! Ironically, the more you like novelty, the more child-like you experience the world as children love novelty. :)

Subject: Re: Novelty vs Nostalgia?

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/03/15 at 1:16 am

I think it's just some people take longer to outgrow things. I didn't outgrow some things I liked until further into my 20's. I didn't get nostalgic for anything until my late 20's, but the interests were gone by then. The way I thought back then isn't the way I think now. It's not so much the items and media I consumed but the fond memories of a more carefree time and no matter what things existed that's what people really look back on the most.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/03/15 at 11:07 am

Some psychologists claim that some adults use nostalgia as a comfort blanket to remind them of their childhood self. Is that the case with you? I've noticed that I no longer find some things that I liked as cool. We all miss our childhood, but for me I mostly miss my state of mind back then, not pop culture that much. And if you think about it, present-day tech is a lot better. I love my Samsung smartphone! Ironically, the more you like novelty, the more child-like you experience the world as children love novelty. :)

I agree with this.  I miss my state of mind as a child but I don't long for the pop culture of the '90s to return.  The pop culture just gives me a small glimpse back into that state of mind.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/15 at 1:38 pm

I didn't outgrow some things I liked until further into my 20's. I didn't get nostalgic for anything until my late 20's, but the interests were gone by then

Same here, I outgrew most of my stuff when I started my 20's. I lost interest in them then I became nostalgic.

Check for new replies or respond here...