inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This Fashion Thing

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/31/15 at 1:19 pm

I'm an American, but on this British website called Fashion Beans, they say that the Spring/Summer trend for men in the UK is the 1970s. The pictures show quite a variety of styles, really showing how diverse the '70s were. I know what people wear on the street is not exactly the same as what's displayed on the runway, but the designs are nice. Pictures below:

http://static.fashionbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/70stopman.jpg

They most prominently display bell-bottoms, colorful sneakers, and shaggy hair. When I first saw this about two weeks ago, this made me think one thing on my mind: The Early 2000s.

Even though I have no way in which to really prove it, this just makes me think of that time for men's fashion. Did men really wear flares in the early 2000s? Was it only a girl's thing? I just get this vibe. It makes me think of "Lost in Translation" and "Training Day". The outfits just make me think of 2001-2003, that's all.

Regarding the pictures, there's even more where that came from, but most aren't as interesting. The "clickable" ones (which I can't open in a new tab to copy the link and display here) show some really nice styles. The pants in general I'm not too fond of, but I love the tops. It's interesting to see what fashion in other countries is like, because I've heard Europeans are really stylish and are more directly influenced by runway fashion than North Americans. That's really cool actually.

The link if you want to see more:
http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/mens-ss15-fashion-trend-1970s/

Subject: Re: This Fashion Thing

Written By: gibbo on 03/31/15 at 10:29 pm

The jeans certainly appear to have a flare at the bottom.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/01/15 at 1:21 am

Flared jeans were more for girls in the 2000s, but guys had them too. Baggy jeans were the in thing back then for young men. I like the first picture, but between the jacket that looks like a bathrobe, the floral patterned top that look like an old woman's blouse, and shirts that are too short, this isn't stuff I would call flattering. The colors do scream spring at least. Real 70's colors I associate with what can best be described as autumn. As long as we get away from the skinny jeans trend, guys shouldn't wear them at all!  :o I've already seen on store websites wide flares making a comeback.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/01/15 at 4:26 am

These jeans are undoable; it looks like you step on them every step you take; I remember that from the early 00s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/01/15 at 5:02 am

These jeans are undoable; it looks like you step on them every step you take; I remember that from the early 00s.

That's why you get them taken up.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/01/15 at 5:43 am

I don't know about American stores, but in Europe, stylish clothes are bought at H&M and Zara or such companies. Check it out.  I already saw flared jeans for women at least.

That's why you get them taken up.

With a belt under your armpits? With moon shoes?? :P

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/01/15 at 9:23 am

Flared jeans were more for girls in the 2000s, but guys had them too. Baggy jeans were the in thing back then for young men. I like the first picture, but between the jacket that looks like a bathrobe, the floral patterned top that look like an old woman's blouse, and shirts that are too short, this isn't stuff I would call flattering. The colors do scream spring at least. Real 70's colors I associate with what can best be described as autumn. As long as we get away from the skinny jeans trend, guys shouldn't wear them at all!  :o I've already seen on store websites wide flares making a comeback.

This isn't American men by the way, this is British men. Also the runways are just a "proposal" for what the stores will be making and selling (they modify it), but UK men tend to be more directly inspired by runways than American men. I don't like skinny jeans, I stopped wearing them in 2013 in favor of slim, but I'm not in favor of bell-bottoms or wide-leg pants either. I stopped wearing the slim jeans in 2014 and now I only support the regular-cut straight-leg that sits at (or just below) the waist. Pant or jean, chino or slack, only straight leg. Both genders in my opinion should wear that cut.

I don't know about American stores, but in Europe, stylish clothes are bought at H&M and Zara or such companies. Check it out.  I already saw flared jeans for women at least.

Yes, H&M and Zara are popular here in the United States. Although Forever 21 is the bigger brand here. That store sometimes sells nice clothes, but all of them are poor quality. Even Target has better quality clothing than that. Actually, Target does sell nice clothing (even if it's not designer-y). By the way, do you mean on women bell-bottoms are back where you live?

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/01/15 at 11:55 am

This isn't American men by the way, this is British men. Also the runways are just a "proposal" for what the stores will be making and selling (they modify it), but UK men tend to be more directly inspired by runways than American men. I don't like skinny jeans, I stopped wearing them in 2013 in favor of slim, but I'm not in favor of bell-bottoms or wide-leg pants either. I stopped wearing the slim jeans in 2014 and now I only support the regular-cut straight-leg that sits at (or just below) the waist. Pant or jean, chino or slack, only straight leg. Both genders in my opinion should wear that cut.

Yes, H&M and Zara are popular here in the United States. Although Forever 21 is the bigger brand here. That store sometimes sells nice clothes, but all of them are poor quality. Even Target has better quality clothing than that. Actually, Target does sell nice clothing (even if it's not designer-y). By the way, do you mean on women bell-bottoms are back where you live?

No, still skinny and slim, though they started sellingsell.so some people will start buying those.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/01/15 at 8:17 pm

Straight leg or bootcut look the best. Wearing what's flattering is ideal as there are some strange trends that come and go all the time. I've been inside H&M once and never bought anything, but their website has some nice outfits. I just didn't see the same  things there that were on it's website. Have you bought anything there and is it any good?

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/10/15 at 1:12 am

Straight leg or bootcut look the best. Wearing what's flattering is ideal as there are some strange trends that come and go all the time. I've been inside H&M once and never bought anything, but their website has some nice outfits. I just didn't see the same  things there that were on it's website. Have you bought anything there and is it any good?

I bought a gray button-down shirt from there; the armpits were really, really tight. I hated it!

On the other hand, I bought a gray long-sleeve tee that is very nicely made. I take good care of it, and it feels just right. I recommend trying on what you pick before you buy something from there. You really don't know how it will fit!

but between the jacket that looks like a bathrobe,

Wouldn't that actually make it more practical for cold weather though? If it's tightly wrapped around, it will keep you warm! At least that's what I imagine it would be like...

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/10/15 at 6:51 am

I bought a gray button-down shirt from there; the armpits were really, really tight. I hated it!

On the other hand, I bought a gray long-sleeve tee that is very nicely made. I take good care of it, and it feels just right. I recommend trying on what you pick before you buy something from there. You really don't know how it will fit!

Wouldn't that actually make it more practical for cold weather though? If it's tightly wrapped around, it will keep you warm! At least that's what I imagine it would be like...

I always try on unless it's something I'm familiar with or have copies of. I can't stand tight in the armpit shirts either!  :o Extremely uncomfortable.

Check for new replies or respond here...