inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How to classify a song

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/15 at 1:43 pm

My next project in adding information to my favorite, is the genre field.  I have the genre info from the Hot 100 chart project, but sometimes I disagree that what they have listed is a "genre".  Case in point, I don't really consider "soundtrack" a genre... which is what this is listed as.  I'm thinking rock because there's guitar in there. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHUW_3FMkY

The genres I think I'll be using are rock, jazz, country, rap, dance, & novelty. 

Subject: Re: How to classify a song

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/15 at 1:46 pm

My next project in adding information to my favorite, is the genre field.  I have the genre info from the Hot 100 chart project, but sometimes I disagree that what they have listed is a "genre".  Case in point, I don't really consider "soundtrack" a genre... which is what this is listed as.  I'm thinking rock because there's guitar in there. 

The genres I think I'll be using are rock, jazz, country, rap, dance, & novelty.

It sounds a bit country to me or Southern rock.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/05/15 at 1:52 pm

It sounds a bit country to me or Southern rock.

I would think so too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/15 at 11:54 pm

Of the five, I'd call it rock.  Too many guitars and no saxophone so it ain't jazz, keyboards were basically verboten in the country music of the day, no lyrics so it's not rap, you can't really dance to it, and it's not funny.  It is, however, still pretty cool.  I'd forgotten the mini guitar solo around 2:00-2:30.  That clinched it for "rock" in my mind. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/15 at 7:02 am

Of the five, I'd call it rock.  Too many guitars and no saxophone so it ain't jazz, keyboards were basically verboten in the country music of the day, no lyrics so it's not rap, you can't really dance to it, and it's not funny.  It is, however, still pretty cool.  I'd forgotten the mini guitar solo around 2:00-2:30.  That clinched it for "rock" in my mind.

That's a pretty good break down... and the guitar solo is about the only thing I could think of to really push it into any genre

Check for new replies or respond here...