inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Many Songs Do You Know?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/15 at 11:49 am

Whenever I do dishes, I usually grab one of my many CDs and listen (and sing) as I'm working. There may be one or two songs on a CD that I don't know but most of them I do-and in many genres. That started me to think exactly how many songs do I know?

In just by CD collection alone, I must have a few hundred and if you figured each CD has about a dozen songs (some a lot more), you are talking THOUSANDS! Plus all the albums I have on vinyl that I never replaced on CD or the ones that I USED to own but don't have anymore or the ones that I NEVER owned, songs I used to sing in school, heard on the radio, songs my parents used to sing to me, etc, etc.

It is really hard to put a number on how many I actually know. At least 10s of thousands-that's for sure.

How many do you know (or as close as you can estimate)?

Cat

Subject: Re: How Many Songs Do You Know?

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/15 at 11:55 am

I know I know at least 4,000 songs.  I know this because there were a little over 4,000 songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 between 1980-1989 and I know what each one sounds like.  With all the 60s, 70s, 90s - now songs that I know, I could estimate into the 10,000's

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/15 at 11:55 am

With a knowledge of songs (British and foreign, including USA) from 1900 (and early) to date, I can recognise songs, sing along to many of them, and with several sung on karaoke. I would say I know a countless figure of amount of songs.

...also I have the appreciation for film and classical music, especially Beethoven.

Written By: nally on 05/29/15 at 1:00 pm

Probably at least two thousand; I never counted them.

However, over time I have made lists of various 80s and 90s songs I know, and have come up with over 600 of each (which accounts for 1,200 right there).

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/29/15 at 2:33 pm

Probably at least two thousand; I never counted them.

However, over time I have made lists of various 80s and 90s songs I know, and have come up with over 600 of each (which accounts for 1,200 right there).

Are the '90s your favorite decade?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/15 at 2:53 pm

Are the '90s your favorite decade?

What does that have to do with how many songs he knows?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/29/15 at 3:09 pm

Whenever I do dishes, I usually grab one of my many CDs and listen (and sing) as I'm working. There may be one or two songs on a CD that I don't know but most of them I do-and in many genres. That started me to think exactly how many songs do I know?

In just by CD collection alone, I must have a few hundred and if you figured each CD has about a dozen songs (some a lot more), you are talking THOUSANDS! Plus all the albums I have on vinyl that I never replaced on CD or the ones that I USED to own but don't have anymore or the ones that I NEVER owned, songs I used to sing in school, heard on the radio, songs my parents used to sing to me, etc, etc.

It is really hard to put a number on how many I actually know. At least 10s of thousands-that's for sure.

Cat

It's really funny you mention this because I was thinking about this myself recently....

a song came on my iPod shuffle list and I knew it within a second (I can name that tune in two notes!)    :D

but then when I started singing and then I sang the next song and the next (this must have been during my 8 hr trek to or from AZ at the end of April)  I began to think about how many songs I knew and not just knew but could, without straining, come up with the next line of the lyric... sometimes I like to speak the lyric before it actually comes up in a song.....

I mean you know that feeling in your head when you are trying to remember something that you know you know but you can't quite grasp it...maybe it's a person's name or the title of a book or something and you can feel the hole in your head where that information used to sit but now it's recessed into some other region of your brain and you have to really dig deep to find it???  yeah... when I sing I feel none of that.. the words are just there without trying...

also I noticed when I'm trying to learn a new song (for me it's usually a rap song) I notice that when I'm first learning it I have to think about what the next line is but once I know it it comes easily... there is no need to process it's almost like stream of consciousness I just know the words no question... yeah sometimes I mess up a word or two but for the most part  I have pretty good recall on more songs than I can count!

the other day I heard a song from the 80s that I probably hadn't heard since 1992 (I'm making up that year to say it's been a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG Time since hearing it. ... sorry I don't even remember what song it was) anyway even though it had been  20 yrs since  heard the song I still knew a fair amount (85-90%) of the lyrics....

The brain is an amazing thing!

Written By: Howard on 05/29/15 at 3:11 pm

I can probably name a lot of songs depends on the tune and the beat of the song.

Written By: snozberries on 05/29/15 at 3:13 pm

BTW.... it's been a long time since I've been able to say this... Good Topic!!!

you should make it a highlight... I know you don't like to highlight your own posts so I'm going on record to say it's worthy!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/15 at 4:50 pm

It's really funny you mention this because I was thinking about this myself recently....

a song came on my iPod shuffle list and I knew it within a second (I can name that tune in two notes!)    :D

but then when I started singing and then I sang the next song and the next (this must have been during my 8 hr trek to or from AZ at the end of April)  I began to think about how many songs I knew and not just knew but could, without straining, come up with the next line of the lyric... sometimes I like to speak the lyric before it actually comes up in a song.....

I mean you know that feeling in your head when you are trying to remember something that you know you know but you can't quite grasp it...maybe it's a person's name or the title of a book or something and you can feel the hole in your head where that information used to sit but now it's recessed into some other region of your brain and you have to really dig deep to find it???  yeah... when I sing I feel none of that.. the words are just there without trying...

also I noticed when I'm trying to learn a new song (for me it's usually a rap song) I notice that when I'm first learning it I have to think about what the next line is but once I know it it comes easily... there is no need to process it's almost like stream of consciousness I just know the words no question... yeah sometimes I mess up a word or two but for the most part  I have pretty good recall on more songs than I can count!

the other day I heard a song from the 80s that I probably hadn't heard since 1992 (I'm making up that year to say it's been a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG Time since hearing it. ... sorry I don't even remember what song it was) anyway even though it had been  20 yrs since  heard the song I still knew a fair amount (85-90%) of the lyrics....

The brain is an amazing thing!

I know what you mean about naming that tune in 2 notes. I can actually top your 1992 (or whatever year). There have been many times when I will hear a song that I haven't heard since the mid '70s or earlier and it totally floods back to me. It is an "OH MY GOD" moment.

BTW.... it's been a long time since I've been able to say this... Good Topic!!!

you should make it a highlight... I know you don't like to highlight your own posts so I'm going on record to say it's worthy!  :)

I don't highlight my own topics. I know I COULD but I won't. (But, if Chucky wants to...)

Cat

Written By: annimal on 05/29/15 at 5:12 pm

I'd say somewhere in the hundreds with oldies songs.  I use to listen to them on multiple radio stations and I even still have some CDs still

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/29/15 at 6:27 pm

Way too many. LOL.

Written By: Henk on 05/30/15 at 12:31 am

I'm terrible at remembering lyrics, even if it's a song that I've heard thousands of times and/or sung hunderds of times. Lots of songs I know bits and pieces of, but it's very rare that I know ALL the lyrics (or 85% of them even). So I'd say it's probably less then 50 that I can sing A to Z, without hesitation.

Maybe it's more than 50 actually, but I've never put myself to the test.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 12:49 am

I'm terrible at remembering lyrics, even if it's a song that I've heard thousands of times and/or sung hunderds of times. Lots of songs I know bits and pieces of, but it's very rare that I know ALL the lyrics (or 85% of them even). So I'd say it's probably less then 50 that I can sing A to Z, without hesitation.

Maybe it's more than 50 actually, but I've never put myself to the test.

Isn't remembering lyrics kinda necessary to sing in a choir lol?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/15 at 2:46 am

I have seen many a choir singing for a hand held music score.

I find that the lyrics come back to you when you are hearing the song.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/15 at 6:46 am

That's true, I can also listen to the beat of the song when it's played on the radio, most of the times I would know the song that is being played.

Written By: Henk on 05/30/15 at 7:01 am

What Philip said. There's only a handful of songs in our repertoire that I know by heart. Luckily for me (and most other members) we are allowed to use sheet music.

Written By: karen on 05/30/15 at 10:24 am

I've no idea but it must be thousands.

Like snoz said there are lots of songs that I can sing along to without having to even think about the words.  Occasionally on very long car journeys we would start singing along to the radio, turn the volume down and then see how close we were when we turned the volume back up (from a UK radio quiz show).

Do you also find that as one song ends you automatically start to sing the next song on the album (or the mix tape you had it on and played to death)?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/15 at 10:30 am

Occasionally on very long car journeys we would start singing along to the radio, turn the volume down and then see how close we were when we turned the volume back up (from a UK radio quiz show).

Do you also find that as one song ends you automatically start to sing the next song on the album (or the mix tape you had it on and played to death)?
Yes and yes.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 11:13 am

What Philip said. There's only a handful of songs in our repertoire that I know by heart. Luckily for me (and most other members) we are allowed to use sheet music.

that's good.. I don't see a lot of choirs but the ones I do see usually sing without sheet music

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 11:19 am

Like snoz said there are lots of songs that I can sing along to without having to even think about the words.  Occasionally on very long car journeys we would start singing along to the radio, turn the volume down and then see how close we were when we turned the volume back up (from a UK radio quiz show).

that's one of the reasons I say the lyric before it comes... to test my skill...
I haven't turned the radio down myself but I'll find if I hear a song, say at a store, and they make an announcement which briefly covers the music I will keep singing and often find myself on track when the music returns...

and  I usually have my music on shuffle these days but in my old MP3 player I used to have playlists set up so even now when a certain song comes on I start singing the song that would come after it on the old playlist.

Written By: nally on 05/30/15 at 11:42 am

I can probably name a lot of songs depends on the tune and the beat of the song.

me too; I can usu identify one when I hear it come on the radio.

Written By: nally on 05/30/15 at 11:43 am

In most cases, that does happen, yes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/15 at 12:06 pm

I just crank up the volume and sing at the top of my lungs.  :D ;D ;D ;D

All the time. What is worse, I can still hear scratches & skips that were on our old vinyl even though I am now listening to it on CD.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/30/15 at 12:59 pm

All the time. What is worse, I can still hear scratches & skips that were on our old vinyl even though I am now listening to it on CD.

Cat

there are a couple of songs that we had on cassette that I always hear the taping mistakes on.  One is Boys Don't Cry by The Cure and that has a wobble right at the end during the fade out where I started to turn the recorder off and then changed my mind.  The other is American Pie which should run out part way through a verse: Now the halftime air was sweet perfume While the sergeants

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 1:55 pm

there are a couple of songs that we had on cassette that I always hear the taping mistakes on.  One is Boys Don't Cry by The Cure and that has a wobble right at the end during the fade out where I started to turn the recorder off and then changed my mind.  The other is American Pie which should run out part way through a verse: Now the halftime air was sweet perfume While the sergeants

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/15 at 3:13 pm

That reminds me of my first recording of Alice Cooper's Years Ago/Steven. I recorded it on cassette from (believe it or not) 8 track (if anyone remembers those  :D ;D ;D ;D ). At one point as I was recording it, I left the room and in the recording you can hear the door open. To this day, I ALWAYS hear that door opening when I listen to it.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Also, with those damned 8 tracks-I can still hear the track switch in the middle of a song. (The main reason why I ALWAYS hated 8 track.)

Cat

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/30/15 at 5:21 pm

Never counted but quite a lot. Very few from the last 25 years though.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/15 at 5:51 pm

Yes, I used to do that.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/15 at 5:54 pm

I sometimes hum the song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/15 at 8:25 am

The same with me, it just takes a split second.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/15 at 2:15 pm

The same with me, it just takes a split second.

I would have to hear it first.

Written By: gibbo on 06/01/15 at 6:17 pm

Can't put a number on this one.  Listened to whatever records my older brothers and sisters bought back in the 60's (Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick, The Animals, The Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan etc etc etc). When I got my first transistor radio (at age 10) ... I listened to Casey Kasem's top 40 for years ... then I started playing guitar and got into all the singer song writers and bands (like CSNY, Eagles, America, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Doobies, Dan Fogelberg, Fleetwood Mac, 10cc, ELO, Wings etc) ... Then came the Disco era and even though I wasn't the greatest fan of that genre, I fondly recall many disco hits (basically disco's were where the girls were).

My parents also played older songs from Sinatra, Dean Martin, Doris day and that era as well as introduced me to film musicals (Sound of Music, Camelot, Music Man, Calamity Jane, Singing In The Rain, etc etc). My in-laws played a lot of Jazz.  When older I went to stage musicals such as Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Chess etc).

Now I hear what my kids are playing and can count some more recent tunes as favourites...

There's too much to calculate ... must be many thousands of songs ... and the list keeps growing (as it should).

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/02/15 at 4:14 am

Tough question!

A lot, definitely a lot. But sometimes I sing a song and it fails and turns out to be a different one..
Sometimes I hear sounds like sirens outside, and a song pops in, apparently connected to the sound.
Example: when someone hits the G-note on the piano I immediately hear "Welcome to the Black Parade".
Anyways, that's memorizing and recognize songs;
I am pianist and play classical music; I know a lot of pieces to play, but that's a different kind of knowing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/15 at 4:15 am

I could start constructing a list, but at the moment I am struggling to compile a list of films I have seen.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/15 at 3:15 pm

I'm waiting for someone to say they know ONE song.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/15 at 4:24 am

Cat
There again I know several songs with the title of "One".  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/03/15 at 11:34 am

There again I know several songs with the title of "One".  ;D

Very true.

Several of them are listed here: http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/one.shtml

There are also a handful of songs entitled "The One": http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/onethe.shtml

Written By: Howard on 06/03/15 at 2:38 pm

Cat

I know more than one song.

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/15 at 3:51 pm

Cat

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/15 at 4:51 pm

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know

Two can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 06/03/15 at 8:37 pm

Two can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.

Cat

You made me do it.  :D

count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Written By: annimal on 06/03/15 at 8:54 pm

one is the lonliest

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/15 at 5:57 am

count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
3e7yYBDHOgg

Written By: Howard on 06/04/15 at 2:41 pm

I can name that tune in one note.

Written By: nally on 06/04/15 at 3:12 pm

I can name that tune in one note.
In certain cases, so can I.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/15 at 3:28 pm

The Holy Hand Grenade?

Written By: gibbo on 06/04/15 at 8:59 pm

The Holy Hand Grenade?

Of course ...  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/05/15 at 7:45 am

In certain cases, so can I.

I was referring to that game show with Tom Kennedy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/15 at 11:35 am

Cat
Do you include different cover versions of the same song?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/15 at 1:44 pm

Do you include different cover versions of the same song?

It's the same song. But you do bring up an interesting question. I have heard different versions of songs where they will add/delete a verse or two.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/15 at 2:16 pm

It's the same song. But you do bring up an interesting question. I have heard different versions of songs where they will add/delete a verse or two.

Cat
The first song that comes to mine, even it is basically the same song is "American Pie" originally by Don McLean, the song has a shorter and a longer version, that has extra verses. Of course the same song was destroyed by Madonna.

Written By: nally on 06/16/15 at 11:56 am

Cat

The first song that comes to mine, even it is basically the same song is "American Pie" originally by Don McLean, the song has a shorter and a longer version, that has extra verses. Of course the same song was destroyed by Madonna.

Those are interesting points. Often times I will consider them as two different songs due to the different recordings, especially if there are lyrics/structure/etc that have been modified.

Btw, I have not heard a shorter version of Don McLean's "American Pie"; I only know the original recording with all 8 1/2 minutes.

What about when a band/artist records a song in more than one language? For example, "99 Luftballoons" by Nena. They recorded a German version, with that title; and an English version, entitled "99 Redballoons" (which is not a translation, btw). Should those be considered two separate songs?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/15 at 12:13 pm

Those are interesting points. Often times I will consider them as two different songs due to the different recordings, especially if there are lyrics/structure/etc that have been modified.

Btw, I have not heard a shorter version of Don McLean's "American Pie"; I only know the original recording with all 8 1/2 minutes.

What about when a band/artist records a song in more than one language? For example, "99 Luftballoons" by Nena. They recorded a German version, with that title; and an English version, entitled "99 Redballoons" (which is not a translation, btw). Should those be considered two separate songs?

When American Pie first came out in 1971, radio stations RARELY played the full version because of the time. I was surprised when I first heard the full version. Now days, most radio stations play full versions of all songs. Recording studios are not forced to make a cut version of them.

There are actually two versions to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia." The "radio" version has the last line as "I told you once you son of a gun I'm the best that's ever been." But it doesn't have the same punch as the original line, "I told you once you son of a bitch I'm the best that's ever been." What is even worse is a version that goes, "I told you once you son of a BEEP I'm the best that's ever been." *cringe*

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 1:52 pm

Well, they both were sung by the same person, so I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/15 at 1:57 pm

It is a live concert version that has extra verses, and l think lasts over 15 minutes.

Written By: nally on 06/16/15 at 1:58 pm

Well, they both were sung by the same person, so I don't know.

I'm thinking it could be two versions of the same "general" song, just in a different language. They just have a different title for each language.

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/15 at 2:03 pm

I think of those indepently I mean both versions get radio play (still) in the US.  when I hear the song I hope it's the American version because, even after all these years I have not bothered to learn the lyrics to the German version.

but I can rap the hell out of the spanish parts of Mentirosa  :D

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/15 at 2:18 pm

When American Pie first came out in 1971, radio stations RARELY played the full version because of the time. I was surprised when I first heard the full version. Now days, most radio stations play full versions of all songs. Recording studios are not forced to make a cut version of them.

There are actually two versions to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia." The "radio" version has the last line as "I told you once you son of a gun I'm the best that's ever been." But it doesn't have the same punch as the original line, "I told you once you son of a bitch I'm the best that's ever been." What is even worse is a version that goes, "I told you once you son of a BEEP I'm the best that's ever been." *cringe*

Cat

Another concept of this is the song Jealousy by Natalie Merchant  I think it was the original version that has the line

Is she bright so well read are there novels by her bed

but, on my ipod, I have a version - I don't recall where I found... maybe the unplugged cd?  where the line is

Is she smart, so well read, are there books are there novels by her bed

I actually own both versions of the song so I entitled the version I prefer Jealousy (Books & Novels)  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/15 at 2:42 pm

I think of those indepently I mean both versions get radio play (still) in the US.  when I hear the song I hope it's the American version because, even after all these years I have not bothered to learn the lyrics to the German version.

I sing along to the German version, too-not saying what I am singing is German.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Then there is THIS version.  :D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Lt1rwj6R8

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 2:52 pm

I'm thinking it could be two versions of the same "general" song, just in a different language. They just have a different title for each language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lur-SGl3uw8
German version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZh5Wp_yks
English version

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/15 at 4:15 pm

I sing along to the German version, too-not saying what I am singing is German.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Then there is THIS version.  :D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Lt1rwj6R8

Cat

I do the same thing to the German version... lol basically it sounds like hacxtanagen for Captain Kirk...  :D

I forgot about the 99 Dead Baboons.. thanks!

Written By: gibbo on 06/17/15 at 2:01 am

I do the same thing to the German version... lol basically it sounds like hacxtanagen for Captain Kirk...  :D

I forgot about the 99 Dead Baboons.. thanks!

Better be careful ... I'm sure Baboons are an endangered species somewhere on this Earth!

Written By: nally on 06/17/15 at 12:35 pm

You're right, they do. Although I have heard the German version many times on JackFM. I think the only phrase from that version that most English speakers can understand is "Captain Kirk". Also, Weird Al sings four lines from it in his polka medley "Hooked On Polkas" (from his 1985 album Dare To Be Stupid).

oh yes, that is a great song to listen to

Written By: nally on 06/17/15 at 12:53 pm

Another concept of this is the song Jealousy by Natalie Merchant  I think it was the original version that has the line

Is she bright so well read are there novels by her bed

but, on my ipod, I have a version - I don't recall where I found... maybe the unplugged cd?  where the line is

Is she smart, so well read, are there books are there novels by her bed

I actually own both versions of the song so I entitled the version I prefer Jealousy (Books & Novels)  :D

I've only heard the one that mentions books and novels (on the radio).

Another example of an artist's song having alternate lyrics... "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc. After the second, third, and fourth verses, he starts a little speech with "You know what I'm saying?" On some stations, after verse 3, it has been shortened to "You know?"; and instead of "...I'm down with the ladies" at the end, it's "...Loc is down with the laides, no joke."

Check for new replies or respond here...