inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Pixar superior to Disney?

Written By: winteriscoming on 07/10/15 at 10:30 am

It seems like critics think so.

What do you think is better - 1995-present Pixar, or Disney movies from 1937-1999?

Subject: Re: Is Pixar superior to Disney?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/15 at 10:58 am

Two separate entities,  Pixar is a production company, as Disney is a film distributor.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/10/15 at 6:12 pm

It seems like critics think so.

What do you think is better - 1995-present Pixar, or Disney movies from 1937-1999?

Pixar went downhill after Toy story 3; so it should be 1995-2010!! IMO

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/15 at 3:41 am

Pixar went downhill after Toy story 3; so it should be 1995-2010!! IMO
How did Pixar go downhill with successful films of "Cars 2" (2011), "Brave (2012) winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, "Monsters University" (2013) , and "Inside Out" (2015)?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/11/15 at 10:38 am

How did Pixar go downhill with successful films of "Cars 2" (2011), "Brave (2012) winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, "Monsters University" (2013) , and "Inside Out" (2015)?

Most of those films you listed are less popular than the acclaimed masterpieces the studio produced in the 90s and 2000s.  I'd personally argue, however, that the massive popularity of Inside Out nullifies the fear that Pixar truly went downhill after Toy Story 3.

As for the topic question itself, I prefer Pixar, easily.  Their movies just seem legitimately original and entertaining to all ages, whereas Disney usually feels like it always has to rely on family feature archetypes, even with its more popular titles like Frozen, The Lion King, and Aladdin.  My favorite movies from the Walt Disney studio are Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid, and even then, neither of those movies blow me away to the same degree as Toy Story 1.

That being said, I think both Pixar and Walt Disney Animated Studios fall short to Studio Ghibli, whose films are dubbed and distributed by Disney, even though they're made in Japan.  If Pixar is your local high school's valedictorian when it comes to innovation, then Ghibli is Stephen Hawking.  As much as Toy Story 1 is still my favorite family feature of all time, the Ghibli films are like supernatural experiences, darker and more puzzling than Disney, yet just as magical, if not moreso.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/15 at 10:43 am

Probably the Best from Pixar!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/WALL-Eposter.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 8:49 pm

I would choose Disney for their 90s movies and Pixar for their 2000s movies. Loved them both in my childhood.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/15 at 9:18 pm

I pick Disney overall, especially pre-2000.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/28/15 at 11:55 am

Probably the Best from Pixar!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/WALL-Eposter.jpg

So profound, it doesn't need dialogue for the first half.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 9:23 am

So profound, it doesn't need dialogue for the first half.

Doesn't Eve and Wall-E communicate with each other in some of the scenes?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/15 at 12:57 pm

Doesn't Eve and Wall-E communicate with each other in some of the scenes?
Yes, there scenes as you describe. I must watch it again soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...