inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs you associate with things they were not written/recorded for

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/15 at 10:03 am

Good Example:  'With A Little Help From My Friends' by Joe Cocker is widely recognized as the theme song to the 1988-1993 TV show 'The Wonder Years', but it was not recorded specifically for that show as the song came out in 1968

Bad Example:  'Holiday Road' by Lindsey Buckingham is widely recognized as the theme song to the 'National Lampoon's Vacation' series.  It was recorded specifically for the first Vacation film in 1983

Subject: Re: Songs you associate with things they were not written/recorded for

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/15 at 10:13 am

Back in the 90s, Burger King used the 70s hit 'Still the One' by Orleans in several commercials.  To this day, I still think of Burger King when I hear that song

1lJ3LcRS_-M

-------------------------------------

The 2005 club classic 'Love Generation' by Bob Sinclar and Gary Pine was for a brief time used in several commercials for Lotto Max, a nationwide Lottery in Canada.  I've always said if I ever win that lottery, I'm gonna run around my neighbourhood blasting that song on a boom box LOL

aHTIA2xvr3k

Subject: Re: Songs you associate with things they were not written/recorded for

Written By: #Infinity on 07/12/15 at 12:53 pm

The O'Jays' For the Love of Money was a black anthem about the poisonous effects that money has on everyday Americans' decisions.  Three decades later, the Apprentice used the song as its opening theme and completely perverted its meaning by glorifying extravagant wealth.  How Donald Trump was able to continue using the song, I have no idea, considering he's the epitome of what it was criticizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9paNJJqMn3c

Check for new replies or respond here...