inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which decade was better with Fox? 80s, 90s, 2000s or 2010s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 12:46 pm

I felt like Fox today is slumping into a terrible storm of crappy shows, with the exceptions of Bob's Burgers and Gordon Ramsay's shows. I would think that Fox's golden age was in the 90s, I might say, due to The Simpsons being extremely popular at the time and that it has great episodes, along with shows like Married with Children and Cops being popular. So, what are your thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Which decade was better with Fox? 80s, 90s, 2000s or 2010s?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/15 at 1:06 pm

Definitely 80s or 90s. 

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/15 at 1:11 pm

If you were like 6 or 7 years old in the 90s, I think that Fox cartoons were definitely at their peak in the 90s!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 2:04 pm

If you were like 6 or 7 years old in the 90s, I think that Fox cartoons were definitely at their peak in the 90s!

Yeah, I might agree on that. The Simpsons were freaking awesome in the 90s. Even as a 2000s kid, I find their 90s episodes to be awesome. Hell, I even find Season 5 to be my favorite season of the show.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/15/15 at 3:17 pm

Probably 90s AND 00s WITHOUT QUESTION!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 3:30 pm

Probably 90s AND 00s WITHOUT QUESTION!!!

90s, I agree with. 2000s, they were okay. Especially with Family Guy still being good and not complete trash.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/15 at 6:09 pm

Definitely 80s or 90s.

I have to agree, 80's and 90's were much better for shows.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/15 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I might agree on that. The Simpsons were freaking awesome in the 90s. Even as a 2000s kid, I find their 90s episodes to be awesome. Hell, I even find Season 5 to be my favorite season of the show.

Fox's peak was like 1987 to 2004 or something like that. So basically the 90s!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 6:47 pm

Fox's peak was like 1987 to 2004 or something like that. So basically the 90s!

I don't think Fox ever gotten that much popularity when it started in the late 80s. I think it was 1991-1999 for its peak, due to The Simpsons being highly popular at the time.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/15/15 at 11:10 pm

I haven't watched anything on Fox since 24 ended in 2010.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/15 at 7:15 am

I think Fox was at it's peak when it had shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and King Of The Hill.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/15 at 8:21 am

I think Fox was at it's peak when it had shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and King Of The Hill.

Well yeah, but there wasn't that much people who watched The Simpsons in the 2000s, but I might agree that Fox was in its silver age during the 2000s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/19/15 at 9:57 am

Fox was only around during the late portion of the '80s and was just getting started and only carried original programming on three nights a week, and most of the time was just independent affiliates that primarily aired movies, reruns, and a few syndicated original shows. It was basically Metromedia Television for most of the '80s. In away, Fox seeked to bring back what DuMont did in the '50s by being the 4th network, and a couple FOX stations were once DuMont stations. It also had a failure for having Joan Rivers try to compete with Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. But the show I associate with the early years on Fox the most is The Tracey Ullman Show.

The '90s was definitely the decade of FOX. From FOX Kids, the Simpsons, Married With Children (yes, it was around when the network premiered, but spent the majority of its run in the '90s), BH 90210, In Living Color, Martin, Living Single, New York Undercover, Ned and Stacey, Party of Five, Cops (started in 1989 but was at its most popular then), Melrose Place, The X-Files, NFL on FOX starting in 1994 with the first non-stop scoring display, Major League Baseball on FOX beginning in 1996, King of the Hill, Millennium, Ally McBeal, America's Most Wanted, and even some original movies. There were even some short-lived shows such as Tribeca, Dexter's Class, Profit, and South Central that had some quality to them. It was Generation X's network of choice during that decade (outside of Fox Kids which was geared toward the Millenial children).

The 2000s was sort of its silver age. Right when we were breathing a sigh of relief from a certain bug, Malcom in the Middle debuts and turns out to be the most popular sitcom for the network that decade. FoxBox wasn't as good as Fox Kids but was decent, but later in the decade as 4kids purchased them, the quality of their offerings continued to drop, and in 2008, they dropped their Saturday Morning programming altogether. That said, with American Idol being a ratings winner, it was still an important force. Unfortunately, it devoted its news division to too much sensationalism. 24 was its second most popular show and was another decade-defining program.  Family Guy (although it began in 1999) was basically the primetime cartoon of choice for the '00s as the Simpsons became statle and like that other show is still around today. That '70s show, which began in 1998, had the majority of its run in the '00s and peaked in popularity around 2002. After 24, Bones was the next most popular drama on the network that lasted well into the '10s. NASCAR racing also came to FOX and continued to expand upon that sport's popularity. Other respectable/somewhat popular shows included The Bernie Mac Show, House, Joe Millionaire, Prison Break, So You Think You Can Dance?, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?, and Don't Forget The Lyrics. But then you had a share of forgettable shows like Girls Club, Futurama, The Chamber, Moment of Truth, Swan, and Temptation Island. I feel that around 2006 was when FOX really started to go downhill overall. Also, since cable TV continue to improved its original offerings, FOX's share also continued to decline. There was also of course a trend away from scripted programming.

I don't follow much modern TV, so I can't say for the 2010s, but I'm pretty sure it pales in comparison with the '90s and '00s even.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/15 at 9:35 pm

Any of y'all remember that MAD TV show that used to air Saturday nights on FOX from the mid 90's up until 2009? That was HILARIOUS! Much better than Saturday Night Live IMO. It was pretty sad went it got cancelled despite it declining a little towards the end. Now looking back at the FOX channel I actually miss some of the stuff it offered in the 2000's decade (and 90's for those who remember). American Idol being in its prime when the original cast were around along with MAD TV were really fun to watch. I remember back in Summer 2005 watching Justice League Unlimited or Teen Titans on Toonami Saturday nights then afterwards always tuning in to MAD TV on FOX right afterwards, those were fun times. :D

Of course you got the new episodes of FOX cartoons like Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad every Sunday nights that were always around and still is today. I wonder what my favorite lineup at the time would have been. Although I wasn't watching it as a kid under 10 or 11 by myself unless I was with my dad watching it, and that would usually be about once a month at the time. I hardly ever, if not at all watched FOX Kids or FOX BOX because on Saturday mornings I mainly watched Kids WB most of the time or One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids sometimes.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/15 at 9:43 pm

NFL on FOX starting in 1994 with the first non-stop scoring display

Damn, I never released how big of a golden age FOX was in during the 90's on all sorts of levels, it seems like 1994 & 1995 were like the ultimate peak years of FOX in terms of everything that existed on the network at the time or what debuted. Don't bring up that NFL on FOX theme now, I go crazy about it hearing it every year when my team is about to kickoff!

MbU4fPYRvcY

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 12:43 pm

Fox was only around during the late portion of the '80s and was just getting started and only carried original programming on three nights a week, and most of the time was just independent affiliates that primarily aired movies, reruns, and a few syndicated original shows. It was basically Metromedia Television for most of the '80s. In away, Fox seeked to bring back what DuMont did in the '50s by being the 4th network, and a couple FOX stations were once DuMont stations. It also had a failure for having Joan Rivers try to compete with Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. But the show I associate with the early years on Fox the most is The Tracey Ullman Show.

The '90s was definitely the decade of FOX. From FOX Kids, the Simpsons, Married With Children (yes, it was around when the network premiered, but spent the majority of its run in the '90s), BH 90210, In Living Color, Martin, Living Single, New York Undercover, Ned and Stacey, Party of Five, Cops (started in 1989 but was at its most popular then), Melrose Place, The X-Files, NFL on FOX starting in 1994 with the first non-stop scoring display, Major League Baseball on FOX beginning in 1996, King of the Hill, Millennium, Ally McBeal, America's Most Wanted, and even some original movies. There were even some short-lived shows such as Tribeca, Dexter's Class, Profit, and South Central that had some quality to them. It was Generation X's network of choice during that decade (outside of Fox Kids which was geared toward the Millenial children).

I don't follow much modern TV, so I can't say for the 2010s, but I'm pretty sure it pales in comparison with the '90s and '00s even.
New York Undercover-I didn't watch the show in the 90's but I caught re-runs of it in the 00's. Its first few seasons 1994-1997 the show was pretty good than they let a few characters go and went to a "21 Jump Street" type of show in its last season(1997-1998.) It didn't seem the same like all the edginess of the first few season were gone. The only thing the last season did was break Jennifer Esposito's career into the mainstream, and later on she would be on the show "Spin City" and also actor Paul Guilfoyle's  also made an appearance in the shows last season. Paul Guilfoyle played "Detective Jim Brass" on CSI for many years and as a matter fact he played an ex-New Jersey detective. New York and New Jersey are close enough right?

Beverly Hills 90210-I actually was more into the show during the 1998-1999 season than I was when it was big the first half of the 90's(1990-1993.) The last half of the last season I didn't get to see for the most I didn't see because I was working different hours at work. I did see the re-run of the last show when David and Donna got married.

Check for new replies or respond here...