inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When is childhood?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 7:32 am

What is your definite definition of childhood? Is there a universal line when a person ends childhood? Physically and mentally?

Subject: Re: When is childhood?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 8:09 am

There's no given definition to how childhood goes and where it ends. It depends on the individual person's experience. To some, people think childhood are your whole elementary school years, but to many your middle school years are still your childhood, but late childhood, while your preschool/toddler years are early childhood. Heck even some who thinks a teenager equals a kid will believe that your childhood is still extended throughout high school, which is nonsense IMO. Age is just a number, it's about the particular person's development and how they get into the pop culture. Personally, I define the childhood as 3-12, and I believe your full years of elementary school is your peak, so whenever age you are 6-10 or which ever years you're turning 6-10, unless you started school late and had to wait another year, would be your peak childhood, so for me since I started elementary school in August 2001 and finished in May 2007, that be the entire years of 2002-2006 as my peak childhood at 6-10. Also, while 13 & 14 year old's are teenagers, they usually don't do the same stuff as 16 & 17 year old's can do, so I don't mind being 13 or 14 being the tail end of childhood depending if someone at that age is still in middle school or not. However, high school are your core adolescent years, so it's no longer childhood to me period. Personally I don't think a 12 & 13 year old is that much different, both are middle school aged and could still be called a child despite hitting puberty, growing out of kiddy stuff, and getting into the pop culture of music or something, and 12 & 13 year old's can't drive or get a job like a 16 or 17 year old could. 14 is usually when you start high school, so that's when my core teen years began which was in 2010. So overall, I consider early childhood as from the time your earliest memory in life occurred, all the way to the end of pre-K, which is about 2-4, 2-5, 3-5, 3-6, or 4-6 depending on the person. I define core childhood as your entire Kindergarten thru 5th grade years of elementary school, so that's usually 4-10, 5-10, 5-11, 6-11, or 6-12 depending on the person. Then finally, late childhood is your middle school life, so that's usually 10-13, 11-13, 11-14, 12-14, or 12-15 depending on the person.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 8:29 am

Even though a 17 year old can be immature in some ways (I was 17 once  ;D), um, I don't consider a 17 year old a 'child' or a 'kid'.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/15 at 9:47 am

In my opinion, your early childhood is 2-4, while your core childhood is 5-10.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 9:53 am

Ages three through 12. 13 through 15 felt like "extended childhood" to me...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 10:05 am

I consider childhood to be 3-10 with 5-8 being the peak.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 10:09 am

11 years is weird. It's still a child but not really an adolescent yet, or at least a fully fledged one.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 11:11 am

11 years is weird. It's still a child but not really an adolescent yet, or at least a fully fledged one.

I'd say that's more 12 or even 13. You're barely a teenager and you don't really hit the "teenage phase" in which you become grumpy and isolate yourself from everyone else until you're about 14 years old.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 11:20 am

I'd say that's more 12 or even 13. You're barely a teenager and you don't really hit the "teenage phase" in which you become grumpy and isolate yourself from everyone else until you're about 14 years old.

Bingo, I don't consider age 13 as apart of my core teen years, it's not that much different from being 12, since both are middle school aged, still immature, and don't have the same privileges high school folks have, therefore I still consider 12 & 13 as my "late childhood". Yes, by the time I was 12 & 13 I was no longer watching cartoons or kiddy sitcoms, I started being aware of the politics and worldly events going on around me, and I was keeping up with the music coming out right around the time the electropop era of music was still pretty fresh and new. However, it's still the tail end of my childhood despite not being "core". I believe the peak of your teenage years begin once you start high school, so yep you're right, 14 years old is about right. I consider 14-17 as the peak of my teen years from 2010-2013, so that's basically the entire "early 2010's" as my peak adolescence, and I graduated high school in 2014 at 18 an started college last year.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/24/15 at 12:06 pm

6th grade is an odd year because whether it counts as middle school or elementary school varies by institution.  I remember it being significantly more rigorous than 5th grade, but I also had an incredibly eccentric teacher, so I'm probably not one to fairly gauge the difference.

From personal experience, I can say that the fall of 2004 (when I had just turned 12) was the last time that I watched Cartoon Network on a common basis, and even then, mostly for Codename: Kids Next Door and occasionally the Miguzi segments.  This, of course, coincided with the channel jumping the shark, but I began to lose interest even in KND towards the end of 2004, anyway.  I had already been introduced to things like top 40 music/artists/bands and T-rated/non-kiddie video games a few years earlier, but 6th grade was when I underwent the most changes as a person.  I think my formal introduction to Dance Dance Revolution on November 5, 2004 was the final death knell for my childhood, as DDR and its associated communities and music became cornerstone to me throughout my teenage years and basically eliminated watching cartoons as a common activity of mine during my free time.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 12:17 pm

6th grade is an odd year because whether it counts as middle school or elementary school varies by institution.  I remember it being significantly more rigorous than 5th grade, but I also had an incredibly eccentric teacher, so I'm probably not one to fairly gauge the difference.

From personal experience, I can say that the fall of 2004 (when I had just turned 12) was the last time that I watched Cartoon Network on a common basis, and even then, mostly for Codename: Kids Next Door and occasionally the Miguzi segments. This, of course, coincided with the channel jumping the shark, but I began to lose interest even in KND towards the end of 2004, anyway.  I had already been introduced to things like top 40 music/artists/bands and T-rated/non-kiddie video games a few years earlier, but 6th grade was when I underwent the most changes as a person.  I think my formal introduction to Dance Dance Revolution on November 5, 2004 was the final death knell for my childhood, as DDR and its associated communities and music became cornerstone to me throughout my teenage years and basically eliminated watching cartoons as a common activity of mine during my free time.

Off topic here, but yeah, for some reason by the time the CN City Era was in full effect, especially by 2005 when all the newer shows were noticeable, I started tuning into Miguzi and Toonami's programming much more rather than Cartoon Network's regular programming, since I tended to like some of its shows better at the time, probably because it didn't stand up to the variety of shows the lineups Cartoon Network's regular programming offered that was pre-2004. Although I still watched Fridays sometimes for new episodes of Foster's Home, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, and Ed, Edd n Eddy. However, this was a different part of my peak childhood. As well as building lego toys and collecting Planet Hot Wheel cars were different stages of my peak childhood as well. Personally for me being born in 1996, I'd say the last time my childhood peaked was in Summer 2007, due to trips to Washington, DC for 4 days and then going to Nashville, TN which was really fun at the time. Then I entered middle school in a completely different environment, and my life changed so much, then I got the Wii and I started playing online gaming much more, it felt like my core childhood really ended for sure by that time. I remember being 12 in 2008 not doing anything that summer, just staying at home and we had to renovate the house and change all the rooms and floors, and my new sister was being born, then shortly after that Barack Obama was elected and it felt like we entered a completely different world, not just culturally around us, but even my personal life too, my childhood felt like it long was over by then.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/24/15 at 12:58 pm

I'd say for myself 3-12.
6-12 was spent in primary school, 12-18 was spent in secondary school.
12 is the cut-off year. 13 is difficult, but since I got aware of some things
that year, I don't consider it childhood anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 1:15 pm

In my opinion, your early childhood is 2-4, while your core childhood is 5-10.

Oh definitely. I consider age 7-9 the peak of my childhood years!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 1:17 pm

From personal experience, I can say that the fall of 2004 (when I had just turned 12) was the last time that I watched Cartoon Network on a common basis, and even then, mostly for Codename: Kids Next Door and occasionally the Miguzi segments.  This, of course, coincided with the channel jumping the shark, but I began to lose interest even in KND towards the end of 2004, anyway.  I had already been introduced to things like top 40 music/artists/bands and T-rated/non-kiddie video games a few years earlier, but 6th grade was when I underwent the most changes as a person.  I think my formal introduction to Dance Dance Revolution on November 5, 2004 was the final death knell for my childhood, as DDR and its associated communities and music became cornerstone to me throughout my teenage years and basically eliminated watching cartoons as a common activity of mine during my free time.
So does 5th grade as well. I found out a while back that there are schools and districts that have 5th grade as part of middle school.

As for your second statement, this is true for me as well. Although I still watched cartoons, I stopped watching them often after I reached my double digits and began to shift towards the youth culture. Just like you with CN, Miguzi and KND were the blocks/shows I mostly watched during the City Era along with the anime/shows that aired on Toonami and AS. Then by Summer 2005, I lost interest as I was aging out of the audience and the fact that I lost cable at that time.

Just transitioning from elementary to MS was a huge change for me. My childhood was basically over despite me already getting into the youth culture years earlier. In addition to that, all of the kids channels I had grew up watching had already made their changes, so it was a sign that I was not a kid anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 1:21 pm

Age 11-13: Grey and in between?  ???  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 1:28 pm

I would say yes because in that range, people are not in childhood anymore; however, they aren't considered adolescents by the majority either.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 1:29 pm

Oh definitely. I consider age 7-9 the peak of my childhood years!

I consider 6-10 as my peak childhood, 7-9 is right in between there, and 8 is your ultimate peak in the middle! Makes sense bruh bruh!

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 1:30 pm

Middle school aged or late childhood, there you go again!

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 1:31 pm

I would say yes because in that range, people are not in childhood anymore; however, they aren't considered adolescents by the majority either.

Well 11-13 could be considered as "late childhood", or your preteen/early teen stage in middle school. But yes definitely not your core childhood anymore.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 1:39 pm

Well 11-13 could be considered as "late childhood", or your preteen/early teen stage in middle school. But yes definitely not your core childhood anymore.
Exactly. They are in between childhood and adolescence; however, it's up to the person on how they see themselves at those stages.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 1:54 pm

13 is pretty much an adolescent, even if you haven't reached puberty yet. However, you could still be considered a kid at 13. Now my brain hurts!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 1:55 pm

13 is pretty much an adolescent, even if you haven't reached puberty yet. However, you could still be considered a kid at 13. Now my brain hurts!
Yeah, that's what I mean, but once again, it depends on the person. You could consider yourself an adolescent at 11 or even 10 when you were one.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 2:41 pm

You guys have pretty much said it!
3-4 early childhood
5-8 or 5-9 peak childhood
10-11 LATE childhood

I begun to feel different once I turned 9 in 2004, and everything in pop cultural began to feel different too!
Then in the latter half of 2005, 10, it defiantly didn't feel like my peak childhood anymore. I wasn't doing the things I was doing at 6 and 7!

Written By: Howard on 09/24/15 at 2:51 pm

What is your definite definition of childhood? Is there a universal line when a person ends childhood? Physically and mentally?

childhood would probably begin at age 5-10.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/24/15 at 3:55 pm

I'll be 40 next year and I still haven't grown up.  ;D LOL!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 5:36 pm

lol ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 7:29 pm

Cool!  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 7:30 pm

childhood would probably begin at age 5-10.

I agree mostly  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 7:31 pm

I would even go as far as to say that age 10 is pretty 'in-betweeny'.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 7:43 pm

I would even go as far as to say that age 10 is pretty 'in-betweeny'.
this too as even some 10 year olds are in middle school depending on their school district and that they are in their double digits.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/15 at 8:22 am

I'll be 42 next year and sometimes I still have the mentality of a teenager.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/15 at 9:42 am

Childhood for me is those innocent years.

Written By: dnt88 on 10/02/15 at 4:43 pm

I find wikipedia's age divisions right on spot:

Newborn (ages 0–5 weeks)
Infant (ages 5 weeks – 1 year)
Toddler (ages 1–3 years)
Preschooler (ages 3–5 years)
School-aged child (ages 5–12 years)
Adolescent (ages 13–19)

According to that definition, childhood would be years 3-12. And the year 3 is very impotant because that's the age when children start interacting with other children of their age. The year 12 would be the end of chilhood because boys and girls go through a lot of hormonal changes  and kid games no longer seem interesting to them (change in mindset.)

I'd consider peak childhood ages 6-11 because that's when the child has more freedom from their parents and also has the ability to form more amount of memories. But times change... so I guess nowadays adolescence starts at 10.  Children are not what they used to be before, they grow up so fast, so those age divisions might change in the future, who knows. :D

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/15 at 4:52 pm

Childhood ends at age 12, and then the person is considered an adolescent which is close to being an adult.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/02/15 at 5:18 pm

I'd consider peak childhood ages 6-11 because that's when the child has more freedom from their parents and also has the ability to form more amount of memories. But times change... so I guess nowadays adolescence starts at 10.  Children are not what they used to be before, they grow up so fast, so those age divisions might change in the future, who knows. :D

Although I consider 6-10 as my core/peak childhood, since those were my full time elementary school aged years, and not 11, because at age 11 I transitioned from elementary school to middle school, while at age 5 I transitioned from preschool to Kindergarten. So 5 & 11 are like transitional ages, while 6-10 are your full ages when you are innocent and most of your core childhood memories come from. To me there is a huge attitude change between your 5 & 6 year old self in life, while there is an attitude change between your 10 & 11 year old self in life. I define childhood as 3-13, or toddler life through middle school. I consider 3-5 as early childhood, 6-10 as peak childhood, and 11-13 as late childhood. Or another way I view it is like this.

main childhood: 5-11

core childhood: 6-10

peak childhood: 7-9

ultimate peak: 8

I was born in 1996 (February), so I associate the entire years of 2002-2006 with my peak childhood. Favorite cartoons I watched on TV, lego toys I built, cards I collected/played with, and hot wheels cars I gathered, that's mostly early 2000's for me. Reality competition shows I watched, video games I played, live-action sitcoms I enjoyed, and vacations I went to, that's mostly mid 2000's for me. All different stages of childhood but still childhood. However, it's all an opinion though and it depends on how well the person's memories are. To me, if you include 5 in childhood, then you gotta include 11, but if you eliminate 5, then you gotta eliminate 11 and keep 6-10 in there.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/02/15 at 6:10 pm

Although I consider 6-10 as my core/peak childhood, since those were my full time elementary school aged years, and not 11, because at age 11 I transitioned from elementary school to middle school, while at age 5 I transitioned from preschool to Kindergarten. So 5 & 11 are like transitional ages, while 6-10 are your full ages when you are innocent and most of your core childhood memories come from. To me there is a huge attitude change between your 5 & 6 year old self in life, while there is an attitude change between your 10 & 11 year old self in life. I define childhood as 3-13, or toddler life through middle school. I consider 3-5 as early childhood, 6-10 as peak childhood, and 11-13 as late childhood. Or another way I view it is like this.

main childhood: 5-11

core childhood: 6-10

peak childhood: 7-9

ultimate peak: 8

I was born in 1996 (February), so I associate the entire years of 2002-2006 with my peak childhood. Favorite cartoons I watched on TV, lego toys I built, cards I collected/played with, and hot wheels cars I gathered, that's mostly early 2000's for me. Reality competition shows I watched, video games I played, live-action sitcoms I enjoyed, and vacations I went to, that's mostly mid 2000's for me. All different stages of childhood but still childhood. However, it's all an opinion though and it depends on how well the person's memories are. To me, if you include 5 in childhood, then you gotta include 11, but if you eliminate 5, then you gotta eliminate 11 and keep 6-10 in there.

I still see 5 as your peak childhood as well. At least I thought that when I turned 5 in 2000. Since I was born in 1995(October),I associate fall 1998-summer 2000 as early, I associate fall 2000-summer 2004 as my peak. But I guess it's 2001-2004 in it's entirety. Cause, late 2004-summer 2005 was weird for me. I felt VERY weird when I was 9. I didn't feel like a big kid QUITE yet, but defiantly not little like before. I've said this before fall of 2005 (when I turned 10) I felt different and older. As a matter of fact I felt the SAME at 10 and 11.
But 5 is kinda debatable. Cause preschool, pre K, and Kindergarten all felt the same to me! 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade felt the same. 4th and 5th grade felt the same. 7th and 8th grade both felt the same, ESPECIALLY the amount of change that took place during THOSE years.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/02/15 at 6:41 pm

I still see 5 as your peak childhood as well. At least I thought that when I turned 5 in 2000. Since I was born in 1995(October),I associate fall 1998-summer 2000 as early, I associate fall 2000-summer 2004 as my peak. But I guess it's 2001-2004 in it's entirety. Cause, late 2004-summer 2005 was weird for me. I felt VERY weird when I was 9. I didn't feel like a big kid QUITE yet, but defiantly not little like before. I've said this before fall of 2005 (when I turned 10) I felt different and older. As a matter of fact I felt the SAME at 10 and 11.
But 5 is kinda debatable. Cause preschool, pre K, and Kindergarten all felt the same to me! 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade felt the same. 4th and 5th grade felt the same. 7th and 8th grade both felt the same, ESPECIALLY the amount of change that took place during THOSE years.

Weird, am I the only one who feels like Kindergarten life is a huge jump than pre-K rather than Kindergarten to 1st grade? I didn't first walk into elementary school until I started Kindergarten. My preschool had a separate name at a different location and it was for preschoolers and pre-K age 3-5. So for me, I look at my preschool & pre-K life similar (1999-2001), Kindergarten & 1st grade life similar (2001-2003), 2nd & 3rd grade life similar (2003-2005), and 4th & 5th grade life similar (2005-2007). That's just me though. I don't think Kindergarten is similar to preschool or pre-K IMO. Especially when it comes to memories crystallizing. My Kindergarten year felt so different than pre-K culturally, mentally, location wise, and how well my memories were. Pre-K still feels like early childhood to me like preschool, while Kindergarten feels like peak childhood to me like 1st grade. Heck to this day I can still get half of the names that were on my Kindergarten roster and I remember actually making friends in the class, and we played on the same playground as 1st & 2nd graders. While the 3rd-5th graders were in the back playground. While when I was in pre-K I didn't make any friends, I don't remember anybody who was on my roster except for one guy, only because he still stayed in school with me throughout my K-12 years, and I was at a totally different location and the playground was extremely small and tiny. We ate lunch inside the preschool room, but in Kindergarten we ate in a big cafeteria like the other 1st-5th graders did. I went to P.E., music, and art in Kindergarten, I didn't do that in pre-K.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/02/15 at 8:21 pm

I'll be 42 next year and sometimes I still have the mentality of a teenager.

What's your zodiac sign?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/02/15 at 10:32 pm

For some reason I always think that adolescence begins at age 12.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/15 at 7:32 am

What's your zodiac sign?

I'm a Pisces.

Check for new replies or respond here...