inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When is Generation Z, in your opinion?

Written By: Zelek on 09/24/15 at 4:54 pm

I'm asking because a lot of people debate on this. If you look on any news article, the starting date is always either 1995 or 2000, just like Gen X is stated to begin in either 1961 or 1965. Some people born around the earlier part of the gen ('95-'97) seem to consider themselves Gen Y instead, not wanting to be lumped in with children who got phones in kindergarten. Of course, I feel some of it is them being insecure and thinking "Kids today are spoiled brats, everything after the mid-00s sucked!"

But fact is, if you go on Google Images and type in "Gen Z", nearly every date range leans towards 1995-2009. They don't care about what cartoons you watched, or how long the "90s residue" lasted, or whether or not you laid a finger on a can of Surge. None of that matters, what matters is the rise of Internet in '95 and the massive impact it had on the world. Sure, it didn't change things right away, but that was the BEGINNING of the impact.

Your thoughts?

Subject: Re: When is Generation Z, in your opinion?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 5:35 pm

I say the start is 2001 for a variety of reasons. The first one is that despite the rise of the internet, the use of it was low until sometime in the mid 00s; so, the Zers wouldn't have been using it as they were either too young or non-existent. Second, they were mostly born after the new millennium and 9/11, so they wouldn't have even remembered it. Third, Zers won't be able to commonly vote until the 2024 presidential election. Last, by the time the oldest Zers have graduated HS, it will be close to the 2020s which by then the pop culture will be fully Z and no Y influence whatsoever. 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 5:37 pm

I say the start is 2001 for a variety of reasons. The first one is that despite the rise of the internet, the use of it was low until sometime in the mid 00s; so, the Zers wouldn't have been using it as they were either too young or non-existent. Second, they were mostly born after the new millennium and 9/11, so they wouldn't have even remembered it. Third, Zers won't be able to commonly vote until the 2024 presidential election. Last, by the time the oldest Zers have graduated HS, it will be close to the 2020s which by then the pop culture will be fully Z and no Y influence whatsoever. 

THIS!!! I'd get PRETTY DAMN insulted if I was called a Zer!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/15 at 5:43 pm

THIS!!! I'd get PRETTY DAMN insulted if I was called a Zer!
I know that feeling. I have friends your age and I don't even see them as Zers. Besides, your childhoods were nearly the same as mine.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 5:51 pm

Yeah Zelek, the most accurate/recent sources are leaning towards 1995-2009 when giving the definition of Generation Z, because of the release of internet explorer in mid 1995 which was the building branch of a lot of the technology we have today. I disagree with it on so many levels, but the most accurate businesses give 1995-2009 as "digital natives". Kinda like how Baby Boomers are 1946-1964 because of the end of WWII being the cutoff, well, the release of the internet explorer is the cutoff of Generation Y and start of Generation Z. They don't care if you remember a time before a more upgraded computer, TV, phone, etc. because the internet was the building branch of it being more advanced. I don't understand why people say everybody born in 1995 and after can't remember a time before internet or when things were more advanced, when really 1992-1994 born's can't remember a time before the internet explorer was released either, despite being born before the internet BOOM.

http://www.intelligenthq.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/generation-z.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 5:55 pm

Yeah Zelek, the most accurate/recent sources are leaning towards 1995-2009 when giving the definition of Generation Z, because of the release of internet explorer in mid 1995 which was the building branch of a lot of the technology we have today. I disagree with it on so many levels, but the most accurate businesses give 1995-2009 as "digital natives". Kinda like how Baby Boomers are 1946-1964 because of the end of WWII being the cutoff, well, the release of the internet explorer is the cutoff of Generation Y and start of Generation Z. They don't care if you remember a time before a more upgraded computer, TV, phone, etc. because the internet was the building branch of it being more advanced. I don't understand why people say everybody born in 1995 and after can't remember a time before internet or when things were more advanced, when really 1992-1994 born's can't remember a time before the internet explorer was released either, despite being born before the internet BOOM.

http://www.intelligenthq.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/generation-z.jpg

If they think that way then they really think Gen Z is one SHORT generation! >:(  that's ridiculous! ;D 

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 6:07 pm

If they think that way then they really think Gen Z is one SHORT generation! >:(  that's ridiculous! ;D

Let me introduce you to how I relate to Y or Z, I copied and pasted my thoughts on this from another site, the Generation Y vs. Generation Z stereotypes comparing these two videos. So here are my thoughts on this.

MybFlN0Vn3s

Generation Y, let's go.

Run–D.M.C.; 2Pac; Spice Girls; The Notorious Big; Sublime: I missed out on the music from these groups or people, because I was too young by the time they broke up, no longer in its prime, or died.

Britney Spears; Backstreet Boys; Ace of Base; Limp Bizkit; No Doubt; NSYNC; Korn: If some of us had older influence in the family, or was exposed very exclusively, we might have listened to the music throughout our earlier childhoods, or even middle childhoods depending on how long they were in their prime, but honestly I wasn't into the pop culture of music at that young of an age. I didn't start being aware of the music coming out on my own until around 2007. I was just a young kid doing kiddy stuff before I was 11 years old. There are exceptions though.

Will Smith, Lauryn Hill, Ricky Martin, Shania Twain (is this woman really 50 now!?), Missy Elliot, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Robyn, Sheryl Crow, Outkast, Robbie Williams, Dave Matthews, etc: Hmmmm, I'm confused on this one, some of these names are still active, I guess it depends on if you remember these artists or celebrities in their peak or prime when they were young, I'm going to assume in the 90's decade for that.

Sneakers, Neon Colors, Crop Tops, Euro Chic, Cargo Pants, Long Skirts, Platform Shoes, Hoodies, Bobs & Pixie Cuts, Skater Chic, Hip Hop Fashion, Jelly Shoes, Bomber Jackets, Knee Thigh Boots, Hipster, Leggings, Plaid Shirts: Ok lol, you know I'm not an expert on the fashion before I entered middle school, when I was a young kid I didn't give a sheesh about what I wore, I didn't care, but again, there are exceptions though.

Full House; The Fresh Prince of Bel Air; Clarissa Explains It All; Party of Five; Boy Meets World; Sister Sister; Are You Afraid of the Dark; Animaniacs; Saved by the Bell; Married with Children; Ducktales; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987); Batman: The Animated Series; Ren & Stimpy: I either didn't grow up with the original run or grew up with reruns, as you can tell lol, so these don't count for me obviously.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Dawson's Creek; Will & Grace; 7th Heaven; Sabrina the Teenage Witch; Friends; Daria: Now for these following shows, I wasn't in the target audience for many of these during its original run. However, if you were one of those who again had an older brother or sister who exposed you to these at a young age. Or if your parents somehow made you watch whatever you wanted to on TV. Then maybe it applies to you then.

South Park; Pokemon; Sesame Street: I grew up with all of these shows. So these apply to me 100%

Nickelodeon cartoons: It depends on which ones you're referring to. If it ran through the early 2000's, then it counts as apart of my childhood in my book. However, if they mean Nickelodeon's golden age in the mid 90's, then it doesn't apply to me then. Maybe Klaspy Ksupo nicktoons count but I'm not sure.

Harry Potter books were a huge part of my childhood, same with the movies as well. Goosebumps were really fun during my earlier elementary school years too, however, I don't know if I was alive when all the books debuted or not. However, I do know I was alive to witness books come out like Harry Potter of course, Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Inheritance Cycle, The Hunger Games, and Twilight series.

Titanic; Home Alone; Toy Story; The Matrix; Boogie Nights; American Beauty; Little Mermaid; Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast; Mean Girls; Jurassic Park; Princess Mononoke; Armageddon; Hook; Men In Black; Rushmore; The Land Before Time; Space Jam; Hocus Pocus; The Princess Bride; The Nightmare Before Christmas; Dumb & Dumber: All of these movies except for Mean Girls I'm either too young to remember or wasn't born yet.

Nintendo 64: People around my age have the right to claim they grew up with this, since with video games it's different.

Y2K; AOL; Digital Cameras; High Definition; The Internet; MP3 Player, DVD; Tickle Me Elmo; Instant Messaging; cell phones (flip phones); Online Multiplayer Games; Memory Cards; iPod; DVR; E-Mail; Netflix; Java: Alright, not bad at all. Although I can't remember Y2K though since I was still in my early childhood by the time New Years 2000 hit. Some of this like Netflix or DVR could be a description of what they're expecting current Y members' lives to be like now.

qypKjzUOhBM

Now for the Generation Z stereotypes. Born in 2005, well this person is a 2010's kid.

Well I was born in the same year the Summer Olympics occurred in Atlanta, GA in 1996, and since that's near my home town, I have pictures of me as a baby with my cousins, parents, aunts & uncles at many of the Olympic events. If that counts lol.

Apple revealed the iPhone when you were 2 years old, well Google was launched when I was 2 years old ;)

Belong to a Generation born with complete technology, would any of you say being born in the mid 90's is being born into complete technology, due to the internet BOOM being big at the time, thanks to Internet Explorer and Windows 95?

"We have PC's, smart phones, gaming devices, tablets, MP3 players, and the internet" That's true, however, I'd say what ever age you were when these came out is a huge factor. There were video games around before internet explorer was released, does that count?

"We naturally multi-task" "We text, read, watch, and walk at the same time, a skill that stuns the adults."
Oh hell no! Now I'm being honest folks this doesn't apply to me at all, I was hardly ever a really good multi-task person growing up.

Everybody from all generations can express their feelings, thoughts, and spread them through the world.

"In our lifetime, we will never send a single letter by mail."
I'm laughing hard at this one right now, what a big ass lie. Now yes e-mailing has become more of the standard now, but I learned about handwritten letters throughout elementary & middle school and how to indent them probably and use the right terms when speaking to business folks. Heck I hand wrote all of my high school graduation letters.

A lot of folks all ages spend a lot of time on social media nowadays, it depends on their job or how they manage their time wisely. Now back in the 90's to early/mid 2000's, I don't think people spent time on social media as much as they do today.

Terrible social skills? Well that depends on the particular person IMO. I understand how a lot of technology has changed the way people interact in society and we must learn how to control it in the right way and not the wrong way. Honestly if you're going into a business one day or have to lead a job, then you'll have to take Public Speaking class in college to overcome that fear, which I'm doing right now.

All these other stereotypes I'm seeing throughout this video that makes me scratch my head as well, just keep watching and you'll see.

Living with your parents until you're 45? I know people who commute in college and live with their parents a couple more years to save lots of money and have more manageable college classes, but living with parents that long. I've never heard of this.

I will meet my future wife on a dating website with plastic surgery and makeup...... ok this is going too far & crazy here.

Anyways, what do y'all think? Honestly, there's absolutely no way I can be pure Y, to me it looks like the core Y members were all born throughout the 80's. Just saying. Heck even some Y stereotypes some early 90's babies may not apply to. Also I feel like there are some pop cultural shows or movies that are missing that could be in the Y section too, but you know Z is going to forget about it. Since it's more of a Y/Z cusp thing. As for Generation Z, again, I can't apply to everything either. It's strange between stuck in that weird position. So overall, I consider myself as a Y/Z cusper. There needs to be some stereotypes separate for our own generation.

Written By: Zelek on 09/24/15 at 6:15 pm

If they think that way then they really think Gen Z is a SHORT generation! >:(  that's ridiculous! ;D

To be fair, their definition of Gen Y (1980-94) is also pretty short.

Also, from what I've heard, a "physical generation" (15-30 years) is different from a cultural/social generation. A social/cultural generation can be as short as 7 years, if things changed rapidly enough.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 6:21 pm

To be fair, their definition of Gen Y (1980-94) is also pretty short.

Also, from what I've heard, a "physical generation" (15-30 years) is different from a cultural/social generation. A social/cultural generation can be as short as 7 years, if things changed rapidly enough.

Y'all think Generation Y or Z is too short. A lot of sources will say Generation X ranges from 1965-1976 and will start Generation Y at 1977!!!! I'm not kidding! Talk about how short Generation X is. Which is a huge reason why Generation Y ends too early because of not only some damn ass Internet Explorer release cutoff date but also starting Y at 1977 as well, rather than 1980 or 1981 so Generation Y could be extended a little past 1994.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 6:34 pm

Y'all think Generation Y or Z is too short. A lot of sources will say Generation X ranges from 1965-1976 and will start Generation Y at 1977!!!! I'm not kidding! Talk about how short Generation X is. Which is a huge reason why Generation Y ends too early because of not only some damn ass Internet Explorer release cutoff date but also starting Y at 1977 as well, rather than 1980 or 1981 so Generation Y could be extended a little past 1994.

That's just.....STUPID! Gen X is 1965-1980/81ish, basically the 1999 class is the cutoff! 1977-1980/81 born are indeed Gen X, just cuspers!!

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 7:03 pm

Let me introduce you to how I relate to Y or Z, I copied and pasted my thoughts on this from another site, the Generation Y vs. Generation Z stereotypes comparing these two videos. So here are my thoughts on this.

MybFlN0Vn3s

Generation Y, let's go.

Run–D.M.C.; 2Pac; Spice Girls; The Notorious Big; Sublime: I missed out on the music from these groups or people, because I was too young by the time they broke up, no longer in its prime, or died.

Britney Spears; Backstreet Boys; Ace of Base; Limp Bizkit; No Doubt; NSYNC; Korn: If some of us had older influence in the family, or was exposed very exclusively, we might have listened to the music throughout our earlier childhoods, or even middle childhoods depending on how long they were in their prime, but honestly I wasn't into the pop culture of music at that young of an age. I didn't start being aware of the music coming out on my own until around 2007. I was just a young kid doing kiddy stuff before I was 11 years old. There are exceptions though.

Will Smith, Lauryn Hill, Ricky Martin, Shania Twain (is this woman really 50 now!?), Missy Elliot, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Robyn, Sheryl Crow, Outkast, Robbie Williams, Dave Matthews, etc: Hmmmm, I'm confused on this one, some of these names are still active, I guess it depends on if you remember these artists or celebrities in their peak or prime when they were young, I'm going to assume in the 90's decade for that.

Sneakers, Neon Colors, Crop Tops, Euro Chic, Cargo Pants, Long Skirts, Platform Shoes, Hoodies, Bobs & Pixie Cuts, Skater Chic, Hip Hop Fashion, Jelly Shoes, Bomber Jackets, Knee Thigh Boots, Hipster, Leggings, Plaid Shirts: Ok lol, you know I'm not an expert on the fashion before I entered middle school, when I was a young kid I didn't give a sheesh about what I wore, I didn't care, but again, there are exceptions though.

Full House; The Fresh Prince of Bel Air; Clarissa Explains It All; Party of Five; Boy Meets World; Sister Sister; Are You Afraid of the Dark; Animaniacs; Saved by the Bell; Married with Children; Ducktales; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987); Batman: The Animated Series; Ren & Stimpy: I either didn't grow up with the original run or grew up with reruns, as you can tell lol, so these don't count for me obviously.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Dawson's Creek; Will & Grace; 7th Heaven; Sabrina the Teenage Witch; Friends; Daria: Now for these following shows, I wasn't in the target audience for many of these during its original run. However, if you were one of those who again had an older brother or sister who exposed you to these at a young age. Or if your parents somehow made you watch whatever you wanted to on TV. Then maybe it applies to you then.

South Park; Pokemon; Sesame Street: I grew up with all of these shows. So these apply to me 100%

Nickelodeon cartoons: It depends on which ones you're referring to. If it ran through the early 2000's, then it counts as apart of my childhood in my book. However, if they mean Nickelodeon's golden age in the mid 90's, then it doesn't apply to me then. Maybe Klaspy Ksupo nicktoons count but I'm not sure.

Harry Potter books were a huge part of my childhood, same with the movies as well. Goosebumps were really fun during my earlier elementary school years too, however, I don't know if I was alive when all the books debuted or not. However, I do know I was alive to witness books come out like Harry Potter of course, Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Inheritance Cycle, The Hunger Games, and Twilight series.

Titanic; Home Alone; Toy Story; The Matrix; Boogie Nights; American Beauty; Little Mermaid; Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast; Mean Girls; Jurassic Park; Princess Mononoke; Armageddon; Hook; Men In Black; Rushmore; The Land Before Time; Space Jam; Hocus Pocus; The Princess Bride; The Nightmare Before Christmas; Dumb & Dumber: All of these movies except for Mean Girls I'm either too young to remember or wasn't born yet.

Nintendo 64: People around my age have the right to claim they grew up with this, since with video games it's different.

Y2K; AOL; Digital Cameras; High Definition; The Internet; MP3 Player, DVD; Tickle Me Elmo; Instant Messaging; cell phones (flip phones); Online Multiplayer Games; Memory Cards; iPod; DVR; E-Mail; Netflix; Java: Alright, not bad at all. Although I can't remember Y2K though since I was still in my early childhood by the time New Years 2000 hit. Some of this like Netflix or DVR could be a description of what they're expecting current Y members' lives to be like now.

qypKjzUOhBM

Now for the Generation Z stereotypes. Born in 2005, well this person is a 2010's kid.

Well I was born in the same year the Summer Olympics occurred in Atlanta, GA in 1996, and since that's near my home town, I have pictures of me as a baby with my cousins, parents, aunts & uncles at many of the Olympic events. If that counts lol.

Apple revealed the iPhone when you were 2 years old, well Google was launched when I was 2 years old ;)

Belong to a Generation born with complete technology, would any of you say being born in the mid 90's is being born into complete technology, due to the internet BOOM being big at the time, thanks to Internet Explorer and Windows 95?

"We have PC's, smart phones, gaming devices, tablets, MP3 players, and the internet" That's true, however, I'd say what ever age you were when these came out is a huge factor. There were video games around before internet explorer was released, does that count?

"We naturally multi-task" "We text, read, watch, and walk at the same time, a skill that stuns the adults."
Oh hell no! Now I'm being honest folks this doesn't apply to me at all, I was hardly ever a really good multi-task person growing up.

Everybody from all generations can express their feelings, thoughts, and spread them through the world.

I'm laughing hard at this one right now, what a big ass lie. Now yes e-mailing has become more of the standard now, but I learned about handwritten letters throughout elementary & middle school and how to indent them probably and use the right terms when speaking to business folks. Heck I hand wrote all of my high school graduation letters.

A lot of folks all ages spend a lot of time on social media nowadays, it depends on their job or how they manage their time wisely. Now back in the 90's to early/mid 2000's, I don't think people spent time on social media as much as they do today.

Terrible social skills? Well that depends on the particular person IMO. I understand how a lot of technology has changed the way people interact in society and we must learn how to control it in the right way and not the wrong way. Honestly if you're going into a business one day or have to lead a job, then you'll have to take Public Speaking class in college to overcome that fear, which I'm doing right now.

All these other stereotypes I'm seeing throughout this video that makes me scratch my head as well, just keep watching and you'll see.

Living with your parents until you're 45? I know people who commute in college and live with their parents a couple more years to save lots of money and have more manageable college classes, but living with parents that long. I've never heard of this.

I will meet my future wife on a dating website with plastic surgery and makeup...... ok this is going too far & crazy here.

Anyways, what do y'all think? Honestly, there's absolutely no way I can be pure Y, to me it looks like the core Y members were all born throughout the 80's. Just saying. Heck even some Y stereotypes some early 90's babies may not apply to. Also I feel like there are some pop cultural shows or movies that are missing that could be in the Y section too, but you know Z is going to forget about it. Since it's more of a Y/Z cusp thing. As for Generation Z, again, I can't apply to everything either. It's strange between stuck in that weird position. So overall, I consider myself as a Y/Z cusper. There needs to be some stereotypes separate for our own generation.

Many of those things that you mentioned are Generation X. Not Y. Whoever made this video is literally trying to claim things before their time. What really represents millennial pop culture best is the late '00s/early '10s period.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/24/15 at 7:21 pm

That's just.....STUPID! Gen X is 1965-1980/81ish, basically the 1999 class is the cutoff! 1977-1980/81 born are indeed Gen X, just cuspers!!

I believe that 1994-1997/98 born's are in the limbo as Y/Z cuspers kinda like how 1977-1980/81 born's are in a similar situation as X/Y cuspers.

Written By: Zelek on 09/24/15 at 7:26 pm

I believe that 1994-1997/98 born's are in the limbo as Y/Z cuspers kinda like how 1977-1980/81 born's are in a similar situation as X/Y cuspers.

I feel as though the X/Y cusp is more like 1977-1984. Take this for example:
In a 2012 article for the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, George Masnick wrote that the "Census counted 82.1 million" Gen Xers in the U.S. The Harvard Center uses 1965 to 1984 to define Gen X so that Boomers, Xers and Millennials "cover equal 20-year age spans".

Also, I know it was meant for comedy, but in that video where Kevin Bacon explained the 80s to Millennials, he said they were born "after 1985". This indicates that those born around 82-84 may also feel like Gen X at times.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/15 at 7:33 pm

1998 to whatever.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 7:37 pm

Many of those things that you mentioned are Generation X. Not Y. Whoever made this video is literally trying to claim things before their time. What really represents millennial pop culture best is the late '00s/early '10s period.

THIS. I also would have included the mid 00s too. But to each his own.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 7:43 pm

I feel as though the X/Y cusp is more like 1977-1984. Take this for example:
In a 2012 article for the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, George Masnick wrote that the "Census counted 82.1 million" Gen Xers in the U.S. The Harvard Center uses 1965 to 1984 to define Gen X so that Boomers, Xers and Millennials "cover equal 20-year age spans".

Also, I know it was meant for comedy, but in that video where Kevin Bacon explained the 80s to Millennials, he said they were born "after 1985". This indicates that those born around 82-84 may also feel like Gen X at times.

Yeah basically late 1981-1985/86 are the early millennials!

Written By: gibbo on 09/24/15 at 8:34 pm

I think the question should be ... Why?  :P 

Written By: #Infinity on 09/24/15 at 9:51 pm

Generation Z is anybody who grew up with YouTube, phone apps, and other digital novels as part of their core childhoods, so I'd say roughly 1999 was the first year for Z'ers, but I would accept a year as far back as 1997.  1995, however, is too early, in my opinion, because anybody born around that time would have been just exiting their childhood during the time YouTube was blowing up and would have already been entering high school around 2009, when mobile/social media culture was just becoming the norm.  My younger sister, born in late 1994 and part of the school class with the majority of 1995 births, grew up mostly the same as my own peers, resorting to a solid mixture of outdoor activities and television shows like Lizzie Maguire and Gilmore Girls, not getting involved in social media until high school.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 10:32 pm

Generation Z is anybody who grew up with YouTube, phone apps, and other digital novels as part of their core childhoods, so I'd say roughly 1999 was the first year for Z'ers, but I would accept a year as far back as 1997.  1995, however, is too early, in my opinion, because anybody born around that time would have been just exiting their childhood during the time YouTube was blowing up and would have already been entering high school around 2009, when mobile/social media culture was just becoming the norm.  My younger sister, born in late 1994 and part of the school class with the majority of 1995 births, grew up mostly the same as my own peers, resorting to a solid mixture of outdoor activities and television shows like Lizzie Maguire and Gilmore Girls, not getting involved in social media until high school.

THANK YOU!!!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/24/15 at 10:34 pm

MybFlN0Vn3s

Generation Y, let's go.

qypKjzUOhBM

I hate generational stereotypes with a passion. What's funny though is that people said the same kind of stuff about us when we were kids that they say about kids today; that all we did all day was sit around and watch Nickelodeon, play Sega, listen to a Discman, etc. There may not have been smartphones and tablets back in the '90s, but that didn't stop adults from complaining back then either.

At any rate, as far as the generation thing, obviously this is all just a matter of opinion, but I just don't really feel like a 1995 born is in a wholly different generation than me. That's not to say there isn't a gap (going by the fact that I can relate to all the stuff listed on that YouTube video I'm obviously "Peak Y"), but these days I really do increasingly recognize '95ers as my "peers" especially now that there's more and more of them entering the workforce. I mean today, I'm 28 and they're 20; that's a gap, but not necessarily a massive one. A '95er might not remember stuff like Golden Age Nick, 16-bit gaming, or Bill Clinton's presidency, but there are a number of things from the 2000's (particularly peak Gen Y culture from the second half of the decade,) that we can both relate to. Really, I just don't see any credible argument that 1995 is a Gen Z year. After all, they started high school in the fall of 2009, and I'm pretty sure no one would argue that Gen Y culture wasn't still the dominant force in '09.

Also, I've never heard the argument for Windows 95 as a generation cut-off point, but I agree it's a really stupid one. Nobody would deny that Windows 95 was a game changer for the PC market, but it wasn't as immediately Earth shattering as some make it out to be. Most people in my area still couldn't afford a computer in 1995. As I've mentioned before, my family didn't even own one until late 1999, and I had friends without internet access even as late as when I was in high school. I would think that most kids born in 1995 or 1996 would probably be about the youngest that would be able to remember the first time they used the internet, which to me is a major Millennial attribute.

This is a good point. YouTube, and the subsequent streaming video revolution, marked such a paradigm shift in terms of the way we consume media that I actually think it's a better generational "cut-off point" than even 9/11 is. I'd say that if you're old enough to remember a time when the idea of being able to watch almost any show or movie you want, at the touch of a button, and on a cell phone no less, would've seemed like an impossibility then you're probably firmly in the Millennial camp.

I think one thing we need to remember is that these things shift dramatically over time. I remember when I first started coming to this site back in 2005 that some people actually considered 1987ers to be late Gen Y. Now, ten years later, I occasionally see some people list us as early Yers. By the time we get to 2025, who knows what Generation Z will be considered.

Written By: Zelek on 09/24/15 at 10:48 pm

A '95er might not remember stuff like Golden Age Nick, 16-bit gaming, or Bill Clinton's presidency, but there are a number of things from the 2000's (particularly peak Gen Y culture from the second half of the decade,) that we can both relate to.
What about "silver age" Nick (2000-2005ish?).

Also, if you're one of those people who thinks memories start at age 4-5, then a 95er should be able to remember a little of Clinton's presidency. However, they probably had no idea what was really going on.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 11:20 pm

What about "silver age" Nick (2000-2005ish?).

Also, if you're one of those people who thinks memories start at age 4-5, then a 95er should be able to remember a little of Clinton's presidency. However, they probably had no idea what was really going on.

Yeah, I remember when he was still in office, but I was too young to understand politics still!

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 11:21 pm

THIS. I also would have included the mid 00s too. But to each his own.

I forgot about the mid aughts. I'd say peak Generation Y culture was 2006-2011. Both popular and underground.

Generation X is stereotypically defined by what was popularized by the core and younger members (heck, grunge is remembered better than new wave!). And are stereotyped as cynical slackers with little respect for authority, an attitude that was very popular in the early and mid '90s. I'd say peak Generation X culture is 1989-1996. To me anyway.

I'm guessing peak Generation Z culture is gonna be 2024-2030.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 11:33 pm

I forgot about the mid aughts. I'd say peak Generation Y culture was 2006-2011.

Yeah. I was scratching my head earlier too when things like 2pac, Biggie, Run DMC, Married with Children, Saved By the Bell, Dumb and Dumber, and Boogie Nights were on the Y side. They all seem X to me as well.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/24/15 at 11:40 pm

MybFlN0Vn3s

Generation Y, let's go.

Honestly, remembering these films doesn't truly define you as a generation, but the movies having a certain impact on you growing up indeed does.

Written By: ralfy on 09/25/15 at 3:55 am

Two-decade gaps might be easier to remember, e.g.,

1901-1920: The Lost Generation

1921-1940: The Silent Ones

1941-1960: The Boomers

1961-1980: Gen X

1981-2000: Gen Y

2001-2020: Gen Z

Written By: #Infinity on 09/25/15 at 4:21 am

Two-decade gaps might be easier to remember, e.g.,

1901-1920: The Lost Generation

1921-1940: The Silent Ones

1941-1960: The Boomers

1961-1980: Gen X

1981-2000: Gen Y

2001-2020: Gen Z

This seems convenient, but there are certain problems for some of the dates.  In particular, the Baby Boomer Generation clearly began in 1945/1946, right after the end of World War II; the number of births during the war was far smaller than after, so somebody born in 1944 would have had a significantly different life experience than someone born just two years later.  By popular consensus, the Boomers also extended a bit further into the early 60s; Gen-X really began with those who were born in the mid-60s and grew up with Sesame Street as kids and MTV as adolescents, prior to the commercial explosion of the 80s that dramatically affected everyday activities and essentially shaped Generation Y youth culture.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/25/15 at 6:53 am

Hu, I saw a little girl in the library pressing on a book, probably thinking it was a tablet..

Written By: mqg96 on 09/25/15 at 7:44 am

Yeah. I was scratching my head earlier too when things like 2pac, Biggie, Run DMC, Married with Children, Saved By the Bell, Dumb and Dumber, and Boogie Nights were on the Y side. They all seem X to me as well.

Hmmmm, so a lot of the movies and pop culture I gathered from the Y side should've been considered as X? Y'all have a point there. What confuses me is that why is the stuff geared towards young adults at the time in the 90's considered as Y culture at the same time the stuff geared towards kids in the 90's considered as Y culture as well? If that was the case then all the movies, (electropop) music, and TV shows we've been witnessing since the late 2000's would already be pure Z culture. No way all those celebrities, bands, music, and movies from the 90's could be considered as Y culture and we'd still be in Y culture today. Doesn't make sense. I'd say that all those celebrities and music groups from the 90's are considered as X, however, the stuff geared towards kids in the 90's like Batman: TAS or Hey Arnold, I'd still consider those as Y though.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/25/15 at 9:55 am

Hmmmm, so a lot of the movies and pop culture I gathered from the Y side should've been considered as X? Y'all have a point there. What confuses me is that why is the stuff geared towards young adults at the time in the 90's considered as Y culture at the same time the stuff geared towards kids in the 90's considered as Y culture as well? If that was the case then all the movies, (electropop) music, and TV shows we've been witnessing since the late 2000's would already be pure Z culture. No way all those celebrities, bands, music, and movies from the 90's could be considered as Y culture and we'd still be in Y culture today. Doesn't make sense. I'd say that all those celebrities and music groups from the 90's are considered as X, however, the stuff geared towards kids in the 90's like Batman: TAS or Hey Arnold, I'd still consider those as Y though.

I would say when it comes to things geared towards teens and young adults 1990-1996 is firmly in the X category. While most of 1997 thorough 1998 & 1999 was geared more towards Y

Written By: ralfy on 09/25/15 at 11:11 pm

This seems convenient, but there are certain problems for some of the dates.  In particular, the Baby Boomer Generation clearly began in 1945/1946, right after the end of World War II; the number of births during the war was far smaller than after, so somebody born in 1944 would have had a significantly different life experience than someone born just two years later.  By popular consensus, the Boomers also extended a bit further into the early 60s; Gen-X really began with those who were born in the mid-60s and grew up with Sesame Street as kids and MTV as adolescents, prior to the commercial explosion of the 80s that dramatically affected everyday activities and essentially shaped Generation Y youth culture.

I used the U.S. birth rate, which started rising right after '39 and started dropping before '59.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/26/15 at 1:58 am

I used the U.S. birth rate, which started rising right after '39 and started dropping before '59.

It improved slightly as the economy began to improve from the Great Depression, but it wasn't until 1946 that it truly skyrocketed and not until the mid-60s that it had noticeably declined.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/26/15 at 8:43 am

I would say when it comes to things geared towards teens and young adults 1990-1996 is firmly in the X category. While most of 1997 thorough 1998 & 1999 was geared more towards Y
Well not exactly, I would argue that 1997 still had a good amount of X to it although some Y culture was starting to emerge that year. I don't think that 1997 was any more Y dominated than it was X dominated being that many songs that they played during that year, especially during the early part of the year stroll had that "old schoolish" sound.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/26/15 at 10:04 am

Well not exactly, I would argue that 1997 still had a good amount of X to it although some Y culture was starting to emerge that year. I don't think that 1997 was any more Y dominated than it was X dominated being that many songs that they played during that year, especially during the early part of the year stroll had that "old schoolish" sound.

True! The first half of 1997 or in other words the 1996-1997 school year was the very last time when Gen X culture was bigger than Gen Y culture. This was when gen x cultural things like Gangsta Rap, Grunge, Cassetes, Shows like Seinfeld, & SNES were on their way out and at the tail end of their popularity. While Gen Y things like party rap, bubblegum pop, CDs, shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, & N64 were emerging.

However while it was a transitional time it slightly leaned more towards X, while the 1997-1998 school year which was also transitional leaned slightly towards Y

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/26/15 at 10:48 am

1997 in general was a really weird year for music, with a lot of the major genres "in flux" at that time. Hip-Hop in particular was lost at sea for much of '97, still reeling from the deaths of Tupac and Biggie, and with people like Master P rising in popularity down south. In pop, the "girl power" acts of the mid '90s (like Jewel and Paula Cole) had yet to completely give way to Teen Pop, while the Spice Girls and Hanson enjoyed what would prove to be a very limited time in the spotlight.

Rock, meanwhile, was all over the place in '97. Grunge's death knell came that year when Soundgarden broke up, leaving things splintered. Nu Metal began to rise with Limp Bizkit and Korn; "Bubble Grunge", as it was called, was riding high with a steady stream of one-hit wonders like Tonic, Dishwalla, and Dog's Eye View; the emerging Brit-Pop genre plummets in popularity after Oasis' "Be Here Now" bombs; and Ska reached it's mainstream zenith with stuff like The Mighty Mighty Bosstones scoring top 40 hits. 1997 was also the year that Pop-Punk went "softer" with Green Day and The Offspring both producing ballads like "Good Riddance" and "Gone Away" respectively.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/26/15 at 1:40 pm

I think the 1996-1997 school year in general was a period of significant transition. It began with the commercial breakthrough of the PS1 with the releases Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider, as well as the arrival of the Nintendo 64 and its revolutionary launch title Super Mario 64, the shocking death of 2Pac and subsequent decline of gangsta rap, the widespread success of the redefining urban hit No Diggity, the beginning of Alice in Chains' hiatus, the introduction of Dragon Ball Z to America, the premieres of Hey Arnold! and Kablam!, and the reelection of Bill Clinton.  The Spice Girls had already taken over European radio stations that past summer, and by the following February, they were making it big in America as well. Around the same time, Mario Kart 64 (the first significant 4-player smash on a home console) came out for the N64, Puffy heralded in the glam rap era with Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, Biggie was murdered in Los Angeles, the grunge movement died for good, the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis became fully obsolete, King of the Hill was on TV, and Tony Blair was elected the new Prime Minister of Britain.

I think by the start of the 1997-1998 school year, with teen pop and glam rap now industry standards, urban having fully evolved out of its mid-90s incarnation, the premieres of South Park and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Simpsons jumping the shark with The Principal and the Pauper, the fall of britpop, Princess Diana passing away, the beginning of bubblegum eurodance with Barbie Girl, the full establishment of Cartoon Cartoons, and the significant expansion of landmark 5th generation video games like GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Symphony of the Night, and Final Fantasy VII, millennial culture was in full swing. Even though I'd argue that early 21st century culture did not fully develop until about 1999, there was definitely a pretty big dividing line somewhere during the 1996-1997 school year that effectively ended Gen-X Youth Culture and bridged society into a new era of popular trends.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/15 at 2:51 pm

Wow strange how around the years Generation X culture started shifting into Generation Y culture was around the time the babies born throughout the time was shifting from Generation Y members to Generation Z members. 1995-1996 school year may have been the first full year internet explorer was around, but could still be considered as the last full Generation X school year. At the same time everybody BORN that year could be the last Y members because of being in Kindergarten when 9/11 AND were juniors or seniors in high school when Y culture was shifting into Z culture. Damn people, just the timing of everything when the culture changes. Not trying to make this a big deal, but damn it's like every time I've come up from the day I was born, something changes immediately....

Written By: ralfy on 09/27/15 at 12:45 pm

It improved slightly as the economy began to improve from the Great Depression, but it wasn't until 1946 that it truly skyrocketed and not until the mid-60s that it had noticeably declined.

Looked similar to me, i.e., 4-point increase from '39 to '44, then a similar point increase from '46 to '49. The decline began after '58.

Given that, we see an increase spread across two decades (after '39 and before '59), with a plateau during the second decade.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/27/15 at 10:30 pm

I consider the Baby Boomer Generation to be 1945-1964.

Even 1998 has a Generation X vibe to it. I don't see how songs such as "Hands", "Too Close", "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It", "My Favorite Mistake", "Adia", "Sex and Candy", and "Flagpole Sitta" sound Millennial. I actually see 1999 as where the Millennial Generation really took over, and I'm only talking about the new stuff. The leftover culture that had yet to completely fade was still Generation X.

True! The first half of 1997 or in other words the 1996-1997 school year was the very last time when Gen X culture was bigger than Gen Y culture. This was when gen x cultural things like Gangsta Rap, Grunge, Cassetes, Shows like Seinfeld, & SNES were on their way out and at the tail end of their popularity. While Gen Y things like party rap, bubblegum pop, CDs, shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, & N64 were emerging.

However while it was a transitional time it slightly leaned more towards X, while the 1997-1998 school year which was also transitional leaned slightly towards Y

See above. 1998 still had many traits of Generation X culture. I also think some your Millennial Generation traits are incorrect. Millennials are more about digital downloads and streaming than CDs (which I would label as X). I'd also say Buffy the Vampire Slayer is cross-generational if not more aimed at Generation X. My older sister is a decade my senior. Buffy is definitely not her generation. No. She was too young. My mom was the one that was into that show. Millennials were the generation of reality television. Shows such as American Idol, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, and America's Next Top Model were her generation. Granted, there are some scripted TV shows that were theirs such as The O.C., One Tree Hill, and Glee. But I would say Millennials are about reality tv.

1997 in general was a really weird year for music, with a lot of the major genres "in flux" at that time. Hip-Hop in particular was lost at sea for much of '97, still reeling from the deaths of Tupac and Biggie, and with people like Master P rising in popularity down south. In pop, the "girl power" acts of the mid '90s (like Jewel and Paula Cole) had yet to completely give way to Teen Pop, while the Spice Girls and Hanson enjoyed what would prove to be a very limited time in the spotlight.

Rock, meanwhile, was all over the place in '97. Grunge's death knell came that year when Soundgarden broke up, leaving things splintered. Nu Metal began to rise with Limp Bizkit and Korn; "Bubble Grunge", as it was called, was riding high with a steady stream of one-hit wonders like Tonic, Dishwalla, and Dog's Eye View; the emerging Brit-Pop genre plummets in popularity after Oasis' "Be Here Now" bombs; and Ska reached it's mainstream zenith with stuff like The Mighty Mighty Bosstones scoring top 40 hits. 1997 was also the year that Pop-Punk went "softer" with Green Day and The Offspring both producing ballads like "Good Riddance" and "Gone Away" respectively.

Hip-hop was the most successful genre of 1997. Rock wasn't around as much, especially in the realm of Top 40 hits. The Lilith Fair artists pretty much lasted throughout the rest of the late '90s, with Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" being released in 1999. I don't consider Tonic, Dishwalla, and Dog's Eye View as "Bubble grunge" (that belongs to Lifehouse, Nickelback, and 3 Doors Down). I also disagree with The Offspring's "Gone Away" being soft, I actually think it was more intense than their first album.

I think the 1996-1997 school year in general was a period of significant transition. It began with the commercial breakthrough of the PS1 with the releases Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider, as well as the arrival of the Nintendo 64 and its revolutionary launch title Super Mario 64, the shocking death of 2Pac and subsequent decline of gangsta rap, the widespread success of the redefining urban hit No Diggity, the beginning of Alice in Chains' hiatus, the introduction of Dragon Ball Z to America, the premieres of Hey Arnold! and Kablam!, and the reelection of Bill Clinton.  The Spice Girls had already taken over European radio stations that past summer, and by the following February, they were making it big in America as well. Around the same time, Mario Kart 64 (the first significant 4-player smash on a home console) came out for the N64, Puffy heralded in the glam rap era with Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, Biggie was murdered in Los Angeles, the grunge movement died for good, the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis became fully obsolete, King of the Hill was on TV, and Tony Blair was elected the new Prime Minister of Britain.

I think by the start of the 1997-1998 school year, with teen pop and glam rap now industry standards, urban having fully evolved out of its mid-90s incarnation, the premieres of South Park and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Simpsons jumping the shark with The Principal and the Pauper, the fall of britpop, Princess Diana passing away, the beginning of bubblegum eurodance with Barbie Girl, the full establishment of Cartoon Cartoons, and the significant expansion of landmark 5th generation video games like GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Symphony of the Night, and Final Fantasy VII, millennial culture was in full swing. Even though I'd argue that early 21st century culture did not fully develop until about 1999, there was definitely a pretty big dividing line somewhere during the 1996-1997 school year that effectively ended Gen-X Youth Culture and bridged society into a new era of popular trends.

Look up what I said before. Generation X took time to fade. Black R&B male vocal groups (a very Generation X trend of the '80s and '90s) continued to be relevant in the late '90s. "Too Close" by Next? Um... Yeah. Anyway, I would label 1997-2001 as the "Millennium era" or rather Y2K. This wasn't about Millennials completely taking control over popular culture from Generation X's grasp, it was about the excitement of the new millennium. It took a few years for the generational transition to happen.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/28/15 at 12:10 am

I consider the Baby Boomer Generation to be 1945-1964.

That sounds just about right.

Even 1998 has a Generation X vibe to it. I don't see how songs such as "Hands", "Too Close", "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It", "My Favorite Mistake", "Adia", "Sex and Candy", and "Flagpole Sitta" sound Millennial. I actually see 1999 as where the Millennial Generation really took over, and I'm only talking about the new stuff. The leftover culture that had yet to completely fade was still Generation X.

True, music had not fully established its new millennium style in 1998, but I still think it had moved well beyond the point that it still sounded like Gen-X.  You have to keep in mind, too, that Generation X is not just defined by the 90s, it's also the MTV Generation, which is associated with the 80s.  By 1998, we were pretty well past the age of new wave, grunge, gangsta rap, or anything else confined to that period.  Hip hop music was now predominantly commercial and pseudo-macho (think Bad Boy, Cash Money, No Limit, and millennial-era Roc-A-Fella), teen pop was a full-fledged industry (with *NSYNC and Five joining in the movement that year), Radiohead's OK Computer and Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea were the hottest things in music enthusiast communities, and urban music had fully abandoned its gangsta rap and gospel revival influences in favor of the edgier, shuffle-beat, nylon guitar-driven, repeated-note style that would be dominant in the 2000s; and nu-metal was just beginning to attain greater attention.  The basic framework for millennial music was already established, even if it was still the dawn of the Gen-Y culture in general.

See above. 1998 still had many traits of Generation X culture. I also think some your Millennial Generation traits are incorrect. Millennials are more about digital downloads and streaming than CDs (which I would label as X).

Generation X was really more about the cassette tape than the CD.  Maybe late Gen-X (CD's supplanted tapes as the preferred music format in the early 90s), but CD's peaked around the time of the new millennium, which is hardly a Gen-X era at all.

I'd also say Buffy the Vampire Slayer is cross-generational if not more aimed at Generation X. My older sister is a decade my senior. Buffy is definitely not her generation. No. She was too young. My mom was the one that was into that show.

Buffy was mostly an early Y show, considering the people in high school during its run were predominantly born in the 80s.  It's the same as how the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was definitely not something people I went to school with remembered, but it was still predominantly a Generation Y craze.

Millennials were the generation of reality television. Shows such as American Idol, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, and America's Next Top Model were her generation. Granted, there are some scripted TV shows that were theirs such as The O.C., One Tree Hill, and Glee. But I would say Millennials are about reality tv.

Reality television was undeniably a huge trend for millennial adolescents.  However, I wouldn't exaggerate it to say it was the only thing people watched at the time.  There were also heavyweight programs during the age of Generation Y like Family Guy, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiam, The Wire, CSI, and Malcolm in the Middle.  By 1998, you already had friggin' South Park, plus a stacked lineup of Cartoon Cartoons and Klasky Csupo Nicktoons, not to mention the end of Seinfeld and the full decline of The Simpsons.

Hip-hop was the most successful genre of 1997. Rock wasn't around as much, especially in the realm of Top 40 hits. The Lilith Fair artists pretty much lasted throughout the rest of the late '90s, with Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" being released in 1999. I don't consider Tonic, Dishwalla, and Dog's Eye View as "Bubble grunge" (that belongs to Lifehouse, Nickelback, and 3 Doors Down). I also disagree with The Offspring's "Gone Away" being soft, I actually think it was more intense than their first album.

I think mach!ne_he@d's main point was that hip hop was undergoing a bit of an identity crisis during 1997, not that it was unsuccessful.  Regardless, even though the 2000s influences had not completely set in that year, the genre had definitely begun to shift in tone with the increasing reliance on materialistic subject matter.  Especially by the end of the year, with Timbaland and Master P now prominent figures in the hip hop industry, hip hop was definitely catering to Generation Y more than Generation X.

It's also worth noting that If You Could Only See, Counting Blue Cars, and Everything Falls Apart were all from albums released during mid-90s and recorded in 1995.  In fact, of the three, only If You Could Only See peaked on the charts during 1997, while the other two were at their height in the summer of 1996.  And how is Gone Away more intense than Smash (their third album, by the way, though the first to enter mainstream success)?  It's a song mourning the death of a loved one, even if not unplugged like the Green Day song.

Look up what I said before. Generation X took time to fade. Black R&B male vocal groups (a very Generation X trend of the '80s and '90s) continued to be relevant in the late '90s. "Too Close" by Next? Um... Yeah.

Black r&b male vocal groups remained significant into the early 2000s as well, think 112's Peaches & Cream and B2K's Bump, Bump, Bump, for example.  Besides, the black male vocal groups of the late 90s and early 2000s were completely different from those of the 80s and 90s.  Like I sort of talked about before, No Diggity was basically the point when r&b artists began to cater more to the hip hop and adolescent crowd than to the type of people who listened to Celine Dion.  The love ballad style that had dominated the 80s and 90s was very quickly giving way to the more synthesized, "r&b thug" trend of the Generation Y era.  In the early and mid-90s, there was a solid balance between love ballad boy groups like Boyz II Men and All-4-One, and raunchier ones like Jodeci (though the former style was more successful).  By the late 90s, the dominant form of r&b had almost completely transitioned towards the latter, often expanding upon the urban style even further than before.  Even artists like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston were recording albums geared towards the dance/hip hop crowd by 1998.  Essentially, it was around this time that hip hop was not just its own genre, but a primarily influence to pop music in general, and this would soon prove true in rock and alternative as well, with acts like Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit (especially on Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water), Crazy Town, Linkin Park, and the like making it big during the millennial era.

Of course, black boy groups from the late 80s and early 90s like Milli Vanilli and Bell Div DeVoe were heavily dance-pop oriented, but this was before hip hop had evolved out of its "having a good time" era and into its more hardcore period.  There certainly wasn't any talk about "playettes" or guest verses by rappers as controversial as Dr. Dre.

Anyway, I would label 1997-2001 as the "Millennium era" or rather Y2K. This wasn't about Millennials completely taking control over popular culture from Generation X's grasp, it was about the excitement of the new millennium. It took a few years for the generational transition to happen.

A significant part of this period was also the dot-com boom, which may be the single greatest divider between Generation X and Generation Y in terms of youth culture.  The Internet was a huge deal already in 1995 with the launch of Internet Explorer, but by the late 90s, it was one of the primary mechanics of society in general, even if it was not yet ubiquitous.

Written By: ralfy on 09/29/15 at 12:04 am

The catch is that by 1960 the U.S. birth rate went into a major decline. Interestingly enough, the trend line for a rise took place from 1939 to around 1959. That's why the Boomer generation should involve these two decades.

Gen X was itself a holdover of the "Me" generation that appeared previously, with the difference being economic deregulation from 1980 onward. What took off for Gen Y was globalization, especially with China entering the fray during the early '90s.

Given that, what we are seeing for Gen Z is a decline of the same, starting with increasing conflict after 2001, oil production cost increases from 2005, the crash of 2008, and the long-term recession that followed.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/29/15 at 8:43 am

I don't disagree that there was a heavy Gen X "influence" still prevalent in pop culture at that time, but I think the year as a whole was more mixed.

I actually started junior high in 1998, and I would agree that all those songs you mentioned were targeted at the older Xer crowd, as kids my age were not into stuff like Marcy Playground and Harvey Danger. Most girls in my school were still into the Spice Girls (Hanson had completely faded by this point), while the boys liked Nu Metal (Korn was pretty massive in '98) and Hip-Hop (Master P, Slikk the Shocker, and the whole No-Limit crew was really big around here). Also, people forget that Weird Al was pretty popular around this time too. One of the first CD's I got as a kid was his album with "Amish Paradise" on it.

See above. 1998 still had many traits of Generation X culture. I also think some your Millennial Generation traits are incorrect. Millennials are more about digital downloads and streaming than CDs (which I would label as X). I'd also say Buffy the Vampire Slayer is cross-generational if not more aimed at Generation X. My older sister is a decade my senior. Buffy is definitely not her generation. No. She was too young. My mom was the one that was into that show. Millennials were the generation of reality television. Shows such as American Idol, Fear Factor, The Simple Life, and America's Next Top Model were her generation. Granted, there are some scripted TV shows that were theirs such as The O.C., One Tree Hill, and Glee. But I would say Millennials are about reality tv.

I think that depends on what part of Gen Y you belong to. If you were born in the later part of Gen Y, then I would agree that you probably grew up with streaming video and digital downloads. But, for the people in my immediate age cohort of 1986-88 borns (which I believe is now considered "Peak Y"), most of us continued to use CD's right through high school. I know that iTunes did begin to take off after 2003, and that you had stuff like Napster and Kazaa before that, but most kids in my area just didn't have a fast enough internet connection to make downloading music feasible. I didn't even own an MP3 player of any kind until mid 2005, when I was 18-years-old and getting ready to start college.

As for Buffy, you have to remember that it lasted until 2003. Not many kids in my class liked it when it started in '97, since we were still pretty young at that time, but a lot liked it in it's later years, though I was never into the show myself. I did watch quite a few of the other Y2K era WB teen shows, like 7th Heaven and Smallville.

Buffy was mostly an early Y show, considering the people in high school during its run were predominantly born in the 80s.  It's the same as how the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was definitely not something people I went to school with remembered, but it was still predominantly a Generation Y craze.

Yes, it's important to remember that, with Gen Y spanning somewhere between 15-20 years, there's going to be a wide gap when it comes to what was popular in music, movies, cartoons, etc. between the two halves. The TMNT fad was was largely popularized by kids in the first half of the generation, whereas a show like Yu-Gi-Oh! was popular with the latter half.

I think mach!ne_he@d's main point was that hip hop was undergoing a bit of an identity crisis during 1997, not that it was unsuccessful.  Regardless, even though the 2000s influences had not completely set in that year, the genre had definitely begun to shift in tone with the increasing reliance on materialistic subject matter.  Especially by the end of the year, with Timbaland and Master P now prominent figures in the hip hop industry, hip hop was definitely catering to Generation Y more than Generation X.

It's also worth noting that If You Could Only See, Counting Blue Cars, and Everything Falls Apart were all from albums released during mid-90s and recorded in 1995.  In fact, of the three, only If You Could Only See peaked on the charts during 1997, while the other two were at their height in the summer of 1996.  And how is Gone Away more intense than Smash (their third album, by the way, though the first to enter mainstream success)?  It's a song mourning the death of a loved one, even if not unplugged like the Green Day song.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Hip-Hop was still very popular in the late '90s, but going through a very radical shift in tone. The most popular Rap artists among kids I went to school with between 1998-2001 was stuff like Mystikal, Master P, Nelly, Ludacris, Three 6 Mafia, Eminem, Outkast, Cash Money Millionaires and Xzibit. Now that's all radically different from the type of more socially conscious Hip-Hop a middle school kid would've been into in, say, 1994-1997, particularly due to the emergence of the "Dirty South" acts post No-Limit.

Just to clarify calling 1997 Green Day and The Offspring "soft", and my use of the term "Bubble-Grunge". I don't have any problem with any of the groups I mentioned, what I was doing was just parroting the way that those groups were described by music critics at that time. The music press hated those mid '90s Post-Grunge one-offs like Deep Blue Something, Live and Tonic, because they saw them as a shallow imitation of the "True Grunge" Seattle bands from earlier in the decade, and would derisively refer to them as "Bubble Grunge". Likewise, Punk purists were always leery with early Pop-Punk bands like Green Day and The Offspring to begin with, but once they started doing actual ballads like "Good Riddance" and "Gone Away", a full-fledged backlash kicked in.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/29/15 at 8:47 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/fashion/move-over-millennials-here-comes-generation-z.html?_r=0

Here's a recent Generation Z article, and it says that Y was born from 1980-1995, and Z is 1996-2010. So it's obviously going by the internet BOOM definition again. Yep, hate to admit the truth, but most sources are leaning towards mid 90's, and even a freshman student at UCLA who might have been born around 1996 or 1997 said that "we are the first true digital natives".

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/millennials-on-steroids-is-your-brand-ready-for-generation-z/

"And now here comes Generation Z, the post-millennials loosely defined as those born between the mid- to late-1990s and 2010."

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/meet-generation-z
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/09/millennials-guide-to-seeming-gen-z.html#
http://sproutsocial.com/insights/gen-z-vs-gen-y/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/fashion/how-to-spot-a-member-of-generation-z.html
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2015/09/01/move-over-millennials-here-comes-gen-and-its-money/UkZEBiSfjb8KRthn9nW5oO/story.html

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/29/15 at 10:39 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/fashion/move-over-millennials-here-comes-generation-z.html?_r=0

Here's a recent Generation Z article, and it says that Y was born from 1980-1995, and Z is 1996-2010. So it's obviously going by the internet BOOM definition again. Yep, hate to admit the truth, but most sources are leaning towards mid 90's, and even a freshman student at UCLA who might have been born around 1996 or 1997 said that "we are the first true digital natives".

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/millennials-on-steroids-is-your-brand-ready-for-generation-z/

"And now here comes Generation Z, the post-millennials loosely defined as those born between the mid- to late-1990s and 2010."

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/meet-generation-z
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/09/millennials-guide-to-seeming-gen-z.html#
http://sproutsocial.com/insights/gen-z-vs-gen-y/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/fashion/how-to-spot-a-member-of-generation-z.html
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2015/09/01/move-over-millennials-here-comes-gen-and-its-money/UkZEBiSfjb8KRthn9nW5oO/story.html

Just read all of the articles and here is the problem that I see in most of those articles. Even if we are technically Gen Z, I still cannot relate to the traits they assign to Gen Z. For instance:

Gen Zers having laptops & iPads in elementary school

Personally for me I don't remember my elementary school having laptops in elementary school and iPads didn't even first come to the scene unitl I was transitioning into High School!

Gen Zers "never lived a day without social media & cell phones"

Once again I call Bull on that one, especially if you were born in 1995-1998. You should most definitely remember a time before cell phones and social media wasn't widespread

Gen Zers mulitask between 5 devices

Honestly I really don't know about this one. Personally for me I could watch Tv while on the computer but thats about it. MAYBE 3 tech items at once, but 5, really...?

Gen Zers were raised by Gen Xers

Once again for most people my age born in the mid 90's most of our parents are typically Younger Boomers born circa 1955-1964 and Older Gen Xers born 1965-1970. I honestly do not know any guys my age who have parents that are in the 'meat and potatoes' of Gen X. Thats more 2000's borns

Gen Zers grew up fully in a digital world

Once again thats very subjective. For instance If you were to make the argument that 1995/6ers and after are Gen Z because they grew up digitally, then why shouldn't those born from 1991-1994 count too? Or heck even throw 1989ers & 1990ers in the mix as well. My point being is that about a little more than half of Gen Y grew up mostly in the mid-late 90's during what most people consider the dawn of the digital age. So how is that a big difference to those born in the mid 90's who grew up in the early 00's?

IMHO a better dividing factor for tech should be the division between the Web 1.0 Era & the Web 2.0 Era. Most people consider the Web 1.0 Era to have lasted from 1991 with the creation of World Wide Web and ending in 2004 with that year being the last year dial up was commonly used and social media didn't explode in popularity. IMO Millennials are neither digital natives nor digital migrants. They are Digital cuspers. They grew up during the transition from analog technology to digital technology. They would've had computers in elementary school but for most members it wasn't the internet. Plus they were the last to experience a time before the smartphone revolution when you had to buy multiple devices to use different functions. A camera or Polaroid for pictures, camcorder for video, VCR to watch movies and record programming, actually going to the store to buy or rent movies, a Palm Pilot for daily planning, a pager or basic cell phone for contacting people, a walkman or discman for music, etc.

This IMHO is a much bigger generational gap than just simply being born before 1995 or before the launch of Windows 95 or whatever & many people born in 1995/6 most definitely remembers all of these things I listed in the above paragraph. Those born in 1997-1998 as well. However around when you get to 1999ers & 2000ers, is when some of their memories might not be as vivid, but they are still memories. IMO someone born in 2001 most likely would not remember a lot of these things especially since they were only 6 when the iphone was announced and the smartphone revolution began

These are just a few complaints I have with those articles. I honestly do not mind if they call us Gen Z, but if they are going to do that these marketers have to make sure to note differences between Gen Y/Z cuspers born in 1995-1998 (especially those born in 1995/6) and the real Zers born post 1999/2000...

Written By: mqg96 on 09/29/15 at 1:18 pm

^^^^

I wholeheartedly agreed with everything you said, but it's too little, too late. :\'( Let the tears fall like rain..... Here's another article I found made just yesterday.

http://www.iab.net/about_the_iab/recent_press_releases/press_release_archive/press_release/pr-092815_genz

The “Generation Z & Young Millennials: Mobile First on Campus” survey was conducted from August 19 – September 11, 2015 in the U.S. using the Qriously mobile survey platform. Two samples were interviewed: 1,018 smartphone users who identified themselves college students aged 17-25 years old with a focus on 17-19 year olds (incoming freshmen and sophomores in Generation Z); and 1,096 smartphone users who were representative of the general smartphone-user population in the U.S.

Even going by the internet definition, Class of 2013 (late 1994-mid 1995) would be the last full Y, and Class of 2014 (late 1995-mid 1996) would be the first full Z. If this is what all the recent articles about the end of Millennials/Generation Y and Generation Z are going by since September 1 of this year. It's clearly saying that there are college students part of Generation Z now, and they're referring to the current freshmen and sophomores, however, they consider the juniors and seniors to be the tail end of Y. That's why when you see sources say that Generation Y ends in 1995 and Z starts in 1995, it means that the internet explorer and Windows 95 was released in August of that year, which is ironically right before the September cutoff when kids have to wait another year to start school.

As I've said millions of times before, we can all have our opinions on whether Z starts in 1999, start of millennium (2001), 2004, or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, the most accurate sources, businesses, studies, NY times, etc. are leaning towards mid-late 1995 and onwards. So freakin' close, I fell so short, almost there, can't ever reach the peak, like I'm hangin' on for dear life....

Written By: Zelek on 09/29/15 at 4:56 pm

Funny thing is, many of the other sources I know say "Millennials, the age group between 18-34, accounted for 60% Nielsen ratings in blah blah blah". Like I said, generation lines are fluid, never solid.

1995-2000 is the cusp between Y and Z. If you consider yourself Y, consider yourself Y. If you lean towards Z, identify as Z.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/29/15 at 6:23 pm

Funny thing is, many of the other sources I know say "Millennials, the age group between 18-34, accounted for 60% Nielsen ratings in blah blah blah". Like I said, generation lines are fluid, never solid.

1995-2000 is the cusp between Y and Z. If you consider yourself Y, consider yourself Y. If you lean towards Z, identify as Z.

That's true! If you type in Millennials most sources go with age 18-34, so implying that they were born from 1981 to 1997. That makes a lot of sense to me, but to each his own

Written By: mqg96 on 09/29/15 at 6:47 pm

That's true! If you type in Millennials most sources go with age 18-34, so implying that they were born from 1981 to 1997. That makes a lot of sense to me, but to each his own

True, but like I said, most businesses aren't going to just say "millennials", we're talking about if they're specifically referring to the word "Generation Z" itself, and you saw those articles I linked you that were created this month and you see what NY times and the businesses are leaning towards. They even interviewed freshmen college students and late high school students on tons of those articles as they were part of Generation Z. That's why the articles being made this year were called move over millennials because according to them Z members are entering college now. I understand that the level of technology,  a lot of fads, pop culture, and things from the 90's carried onto the 1st half of the 2000's decade, which is why we feel like we should be apart of Y rather than Z. It's all an opinion, pick whatever you want to believe, I'm going to believe what I want to believe and consider myself as Y/Z cusp instead of pure Z like the most accurate sources and recent businesses are going by when labeling us.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/29/15 at 7:05 pm

True, but like I said, most businesses aren't going to just say "millennials", we're talking about if they're specifically referring to the word "Generation Z" itself, and you saw those articles I linked you that were created this month and you see what NY times and the businesses are leaning towards. They even interviewed freshmen college students and late high school students on tons of those articles as they were part of Generation Z. That's why the articles being made this year were called move over millennials because according to them Z members are entering college now. I understand that the level of technology,  a lot of fads, pop culture, and things from the 90's carried onto the 1st half of the 2000's decade, which is why we feel like we should be apart of Y rather than Z. It's all an opinion, pick whatever you want to believe, I'm going to believe what I want to believe and consider myself as Y/Z cusp instead of pure Z like the most accurate sources and recent businesses are going by when labeling us.

But many businesses still believe that we are still Gen Y or Millennials as evidenced by a lot sources and opinions. Once again, it's subjective. If you were to type 'Millennials' you would get age 18-34 in most sources referring that 1995-1997 is the tail end. While if you were to type in 'Generation Z' you would get age 20 and under in most sources, reffering that those born 1995-1997 are the very beginning of Gen Z. So in the grand scheme of things you are right we literally at the cusp, not just by memories, but but because it's widely accepted for us to be considered late Gen Y or early Gen Z as there are an equal amount of recent sources going for either of those two definitions

Written By: Zelek on 09/29/15 at 7:27 pm

As I said before, generational lines are fluid. On one hand, the NYTimes article said Gen Z begins in 1996. On the other hand, McCrindle Research said it begins in 1995. "Centennials", as suggested by The Futures Company, is also a popular name and begins in 1997.

I feel as though older Gen Z-ers want to distance themselves from younger Gen Z, due to the "90s kid" craze and the hatred the Internet has for kids getting iPhones at age 6. This isn't anything new; whenever there's an article saying "Millennials began in 1980", the comment section will inevitably full of bitching from people in their 30s saying "No way, I thought I was Gen X my whole life. Move it up to 85!"

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/29/15 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, 1997 as a year on whole seems to be diverse in regards to music, with the teen pop scene emerging but not quite dominant as yet and hip hop changing it's direction moving into more glam but also having some gangsta rap still around.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/29/15 at 7:49 pm

Just read all of the articles and here is the problem that I see in most of those articles. Even if we are technically Gen Z, I still cannot relate to the traits they assign to Gen Z. For instance:

Gen Zers having laptops & iPads in elementary school

Personally for me I don't remember my elementary school having laptops in elementary school and iPads didn't even first come to the scene unitl I was transitioning into High School!

Gen Zers "never lived a day without social media & cell phones"

Once again I call Bull on that one, especially if you were born in 1995-1998. You should most definitely remember a time before cell phones and social media wasn't widespread

Gen Zers mulitask between 5 devices

Honestly I really don't know about this one. Personally for me I could watch Tv while on the computer but thats about it. MAYBE 3 tech items at once, but 5, really...?

Gen Zers were raised by Gen Xers

Once again for most people my age born in the mid 90's most of our parents are typically Younger Boomers born circa 1955-1964 and Older Gen Xers born 1965-1970. I honestly do not know any guys my age who have parents that are in the 'meat and potatoes' of Gen X. Thats more 2000's borns

Gen Zers grew up fully in a digital world

Once again thats very subjective. For instance If you were to make the argument that 1995/6ers and after are Gen Z because they grew up digitally, then why shouldn't those born from 1991-1994 count too? Or heck even throw 1989ers & 1990ers in the mix as well. My point being is that about a little more than half of Gen Y grew up mostly in the mid-late 90's during what most people consider the dawn of the digital age. So how is that a big difference to those born in the mid 90's who grew up in the early 00's?

IMHO a better dividing factor for tech should be the division between the Web 1.0 Era & the Web 2.0 Era. Most people consider the Web 1.0 Era to have lasted from 1991 with the creation of World Wide Web and ending in 2004 with that year being the last year dial up was commonly used and social media didn't explode in popularity. IMO Millennials are neither digital natives nor digital migrants. They are Digital cuspers. They grew up during the transition from analog technology to digital technology. They would've had computers in elementary school but for most members it wasn't the internet. Plus they were the last to experience a time before the smartphone revolution when you had to buy multiple devices to use different functions. A camera or Polaroid for pictures, camcorder for video, VCR to watch movies and record programming, actually going to the store to buy or rent movies, a Palm Pilot for daily planning, a pager or basic cell phone for contacting people, a walkman or discman for music, etc.

This IMHO is a much bigger generational gap than just simply being born before 1995 or before the launch of Windows 95 or whatever & many people born in 1995/6 most definitely remembers all of these things I listed in the above paragraph. Those born in 1997-1998 as well. However around when you get to 1999ers & 2000ers, is when some of their memories might not be as vivid, but they are still memories. IMO someone born in 2001 most likely would not remember a lot of these things especially since they were only 6 when the iphone was announced and the smartphone revolution began

These are just a few complaints I have with those articles. I honestly do not mind if they call us Gen Z, but if they are going to do that these marketers have to make sure to note differences between Gen Y/Z cuspers born in 1995-1998 (especially those born in 1995/6) and the real Zers born post 1999/2000...
Many sources start generation z at 1995 but I find myself disagreeing with that myself as I notice 95ers and even 96ers enjoy many of gen y music and are into gen y trends, however they probably don't have any memory at all before having the internet in their household which would put them on the cusp between generations y and z, and also I noticed you grouped me those born in 1994 when in fact us 91ers grew culturally more similar to 89ers and 90ers, I group 1994 born more with you 1995/1996 borns than I do with us 1991ers.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/29/15 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, 1997 as a year on whole seems to be diverse in regards to music, with the teen pop scene emerging but not quite dominant as yet and hip hop changing it's direction moving into more glam but also having some gangsta rap still around.

I disagree with this, I think teen pop and glam rap were very much already dominant in 1997, at least by the summer. That was the prime of Spicemania, as well as the time the Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Savage Garden, and Robyn were first really popular. Gangsta rap, at least as a movement, was DEAD in 1997. Death Row Records was no longer popular, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre's 1996 albums were both commercial flops, and 2Pac had been dead for months already. Bow Down by Westside Connection (popular around October 1996) was really the last significant hit of the gangsta rap movement. While 1997 DID have a few gangsta rap hits like I Shot the Sheriff and C U When U Get There, they were all heavily overshadowed by the money-centric commercial hip hop coming out of the Bad Boy studio, not to mention nobody was buying the albums that those few hits originated from. Even if you're extending the gangsta rap definition to include Biggie, whose posthumous album WAS highly successful in 1997, the album still represented the transition from mid-90s "rebellious" rap to late 90s/2000s materialistic rap; of the two #1 singles it produced, Hypnotize doesn't contain that many specifically mid-90s-type of lyrics, while Mo' Money Mo' Problems features verses from Mase and Puffy, respectively, with Biggie only getting the final verse.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/29/15 at 9:22 pm

Many sources start generation z at 1995 but I find myself disagreeing with that myself as I notice 95ers and even 96ers enjoy many of gen y music and are into gen y trends, however they probably don't have any memory at all before having the internet in their household which would put them on the cusp between generations y and z, and also I noticed you grouped me those born in 1994 when in fact us 91ers grew culturally more similar to 89ers and 90ers, I group 1994 born more with you 1995/1996 borns than I do with us 1991ers.

Exactly its an absurd cutoff! BTW I said 1991-1994 because while sources differ on whether they start Z at 95, 96, or 97; almost all sources, if you type in Gen Z of course, agree that 1994 was the last full Gen Y year. So included you in with 94 because of that, but I'm no way implying you guys are exactly similar. And I agree that 1994ers and even 1993ers are very similar with 1995ers & 1996ers. We all had our early childhoods in the late 90's (with the exception with 93ers having a little bit in the mid 90's) and our peaks for the most part in the early 00's. Hence why I consider us born from 1993-1997/8 as Gen Y/Z Cuspers, but leaning on the Y Side

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/30/15 at 2:38 pm

^^^^

I wholeheartedly agreed with everything you said, but it's too little, too late. :\'( Let the tears fall like rain..... Here's another article I found made just yesterday.

http://www.iab.net/about_the_iab/recent_press_releases/press_release_archive/press_release/pr-092815_genz

The “Generation Z & Young Millennials: Mobile First on Campus” survey was conducted from August 19 – September 11, 2015 in the U.S. using the Qriously mobile survey platform. Two samples were interviewed: 1,018 smartphone users who identified themselves college students aged 17-25 years old with a focus on 17-19 year olds (incoming freshmen and sophomores in Generation Z); and 1,096 smartphone users who were representative of the general smartphone-user population in the U.S.

Even going by the internet definition, Class of 2013 (late 1994-mid 1995) would be the last full Y, and Class of 2014 (late 1995-mid 1996) would be the first full Z. If this is what all the recent articles about the end of Millennials/Generation Y and Generation Z are going by since September 1 of this year. It's clearly saying that there are college students part of Generation Z now, and they're referring to the current freshmen and sophomores, however, they consider the juniors and seniors to be the tail end of Y. That's why when you see sources say that Generation Y ends in 1995 and Z starts in 1995, it means that the internet explorer and Windows 95 was released in August of that year, which is ironically right before the September cutoff when kids have to wait another year to start school.

As I've said millions of times before, we can all have our opinions on whether Z starts in 1999, start of millennium (2001), 2004, or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, the most accurate sources, businesses, studies, NY times, etc. are leaning towards mid-late 1995 and onwards. So freakin' close, I fell so short, almost there, can't ever reach the peak, like I'm hangin' on for dear life....

I wouldn't put too much thought into what people are saying now, because I can assure you that perceptions will change on this. I remember in these generational discussions around ten years ago that some people would actually push the start of Gen Y all the way up to 1977 or even 1976. I distinctly recall some people even on this very site would list the parameters of Gen Y as like 1976-1990, which meant that even 1987ers were actually considered to be "late Y" by some at that point.

Going back even further, I found on some of the Generation X newsgroup archives where, back in the early '90s, people born in the '60s didn't really want to consider kids born in 1970 or 1971 as "Gen X" because they felt that anybody born in the '70s at all was just too young to be grouped into the same generation with them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if by 2025 (when someone born in 1996 is nearing thrity) that mid-and-late '90s born people were not considered solid "Millennials".

Here's a few threads on this forum from 2004 and 2005 about Generation Y, including a few posters that counted kids born in the late '70s as Millennials:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=6491.0

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,4816.0.html

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/30/15 at 5:58 pm

As I said before, generational lines are fluid. On one hand, the NYTimes article said Gen Z begins in 1996. On the other hand, McCrindle Research said it begins in 1995. "Centennials", as suggested by The Futures Company, is also a popular name and begins in 1997.

I feel as though older Gen Z-ers want to distance themselves from younger Gen Z, due to the "90s kid" craze and the hatred the Internet has for kids getting iPhones at age 6. This isn't anything new; whenever there's an article saying "Millennials began in 1980", the comment section will inevitably full of bitching from people in their 30s saying "No way, I thought I was Gen X my whole life. Move it up to 85!"
This. I have read some comments of the articles and those born in the early 80s (even up to 1984) have said they don't want to be part of Y especially since they can remember the 80s like the rest of X and that they were in school when most assignments were on paper.

I think it would depend on the person as some people didn't have internet as late as 2001/02. In fact, despite the internet rising to popularity with the release of Windows '95 and IE, the use of it was actually low until the early-mid 2000s. That would give mid 90s babies enough time for them to recall not having internet in their homes.

As for being born in 1991, it also depends on the graduation class. There are plenty of 91ers who were in the C/O 2010, so they were in HS with 94ers for 2 years as the latter are mostly in the C/O 2012. Since you were in the C/O 2009, you are definitely more similar with those in the C/O 2007 and '08; however, those born in 1991 who were in the C/O 2010 are more similar with those in the C/O 2009, 2011 and 2012.

I wouldn't put too much thought into what people are saying now, because I can assure you that perceptions will change on this. I remember in these generational discussions around ten years ago that some people would actually push the start of Gen Y all the way up to 1977 or even 1976. I distinctly recall some people even on this very site would list the parameters of Gen Y as like 1976-1990, which meant that even 1987ers were actually considered to be "late Y" by some at that point.

Going back even further, I found on some of the Generation X newsgroup archives where, back in the early '90s, people born in the '60s didn't really want to consider kids born in 1970 or 1971 as "Gen X" because they felt that anybody born in the '70s at all was just too young to be grouped into the same generation with them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if by 2025 (when someone born in 1996 is nearing thrity) that mid-and-late '90s born people were not considered solid "Millennials".

Here's a few threads on this forum from 2004 and 2005 about Generation Y, including a few posters that counted kids born in the late '70s as Millennials:

Oh wow :o. It's astonishing that the earliest Yers were considered those born in the late 70s at that time and latest were those born in the late 80s. That would mean 10 years ago, those born in the 90s and after were considered Z, but later it was pushed back to the mid 90s and so on. I now understand why some of those articles had listed 1995 as the first year of Z and it's not just because the reasons I have said, but that the writers were using some very outdated sources way from 2004. Now that more years have passed, it has been changing to now where it starts at 2001 in some other articles.

Written By: Zelek on 09/30/15 at 6:38 pm

Oh wow :o. It's astonishing that the earliest Yers were considered those born in the late 70s at that time and latest were those born in the late 80s. That would mean 10 years ago, those born in the 90s and after were considered Z, but later it was pushed back to the mid 90s and so on. I now understand why some of those articles had listed 1995 as the first year of Z and it's not just because the reasons I have said, but that the writers were using some very outdated sources way from 2004. Now that more years have passed, it has been changing to now where it starts at 2001 in some other articles.

No offense, but I think you've got that mixed up. For the longest time, 1981-2000 (sometimes up to 2004) was considered Gen Y, according to most definitions (Strauss and Howe said it in their book).

But then, since about 2012, they chopped it down to 1981-1994. 1995-2009 was then considered Gen Z due to the rise of the Internet and 9/11 changing society. Some say that's too short, but if I recall correctly, a "physical" generation (15-20 years) is different from a "societal" generation (can be as short as 7 years due to rapid technology).

Can you show me some some popular sources that say Z starts in 2001?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/30/15 at 7:49 pm

In my opinion, for the babies, mostly 2001-2017. I don't think that 1995-2000 babies should be considered Generation Z, anyways.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/30/15 at 8:11 pm

I don't think that 1995-2000 babies should be considered Generation Y, anyways.

you mean not considered Z right? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/30/15 at 8:13 pm

you mean not considered Z right? ???

I already fixed the post.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/30/15 at 8:16 pm

I already fixed the post.

cool. :)  Yeah, like I've said before they are making Gen Y and Gen Z the shortest generations OF ALL TIME!! ;D ;D ;D  It's getting REALLY ridiculous!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/30/15 at 9:38 pm

No offense, but I think you've got that mixed up. For the longest time, 1981-2000 (sometimes up to 2004) was considered Gen Y, according to most definitions (Strauss and Howe said it in their book).

But then, since about 2012, they chopped it down to 1981-1994. 1995-2009 was then considered Gen Z due to the rise of the Internet and 9/11 changing society. Some say that's too short, but if I recall correctly, a "physical" generation (15-20 years) is different from a "societal" generation (can be as short as 7 years due to rapid technology).

Well I found this article from 2004 arguing that Gen Y began in 1977 and ended in 1994;

http://www.socialmarketing.org/newsletter/features/generation3.htm

So if anything it was more common back then to say Gen Z started in 95' rather than now.

Written By: ralfy on 10/01/15 at 1:36 am

Overlaps, shortened periods, etc., only lead to more confusion. Given that, it's more logical to see generations span two decades each.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 10/01/15 at 10:13 am

I disagree with this, I think teen pop and glam rap were very much already dominant in 1997, at least by the summer. That was the prime of Spicemania, as well as the time the Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Savage Garden, and Robyn were first really popular. Gangsta rap, at least as a movement, was DEAD in 1997. Death Row Records was no longer popular, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre's 1996 albums were both commercial flops, and 2Pac had been dead for months already. Bow Down by Westside Connection (popular around October 1996) was really the last significant hit of the gangsta rap movement. While 1997 DID have a few gangsta rap hits like I Shot the Sheriff and C U When U Get There, they were all heavily overshadowed by the money-centric commercial hip hop coming out of the Bad Boy studio, not to mention nobody was buying the albums that those few hits originated from. Even if you're extending the gangsta rap definition to include Biggie, whose posthumous album WAS highly successful in 1997, the album still represented the transition from mid-90s "rebellious" rap to late 90s/2000s materialistic rap; of the two #1 singles it produced, Hypnotize doesn't contain that many specifically mid-90s-type of lyrics, while Mo' Money Mo' Problems features verses from Mase and Puffy, respectively, with Biggie only getting the final verse.
I thought 98 Degree didn't have their first single until 1998, and Biggie's song Hypnotize does seem to have some lyrical elements of what would be known as Mafioso rap if you listen closely to the lyrics.
Exactly its an absurd cutoff! BTW I said 1991-1994 because while sources differ on whether they start Z at 95, 96, or 97; almost all sources, if you type in Gen Z of course, agree that 1994 was the last full Gen Y year. So included you in with 94 because of that, but I'm no way implying you guys are exactly similar. And I agree that 1994ers and even 1993ers are very similar with 1995ers & 1996ers. We all had our early childhoods in the late 90's (with the exception with 93ers having a little bit in the mid 90's) and our peaks for the most part in the early 00's. Hence why I consider us born from 1993-1997/8 as Gen Y/Z Cuspers, but leaning on the Y Side
I don't think 1994 born are quite full y, I think they are more on the cusp between y and z, I mean, they spent more of their high school in the 2010s than the 2000s and their adolescence would be a bit more influenced by the 2010s than the 2000s, whereas a 91er would be more influenced by the 2000s like 89ers and 90ers. Culturally speaking people born in 1991 are closer to those born in the late 80s than those born in the mid 90s.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/01/15 at 10:22 am

I don't think 1994 born are quite full y, I think they are more on the cusp between y and z, I mean, they spent more of their high school in the 2010s than the 2000s and their adolescence would be a bit more influenced by the 2010s than the 2000s, whereas a 91er would be more influenced by the 2000s like 89ers and 90ers. Culturally speaking people born in 1991 are closer to those born in the late 80s than those born in the mid 90s.

I was agreeing with you dude. I said countless times that early 90's borns are more culturally linked to late 80's borns rather than mid 90's borns. I agree that 1994 & 1993 as well is more on the Y/Z spectrum along with 1995 & 1996 babies. Here's how I divide it:

b. 1981-1984 - Early Gen Y: Class of 1999-2002/Main Y2K Era Teens

b. 1985-1992 - Core Gen Y: Class of 2003-2010/Main Core 2000's Teens

b. 1993-1996 - Late Gen Y: Class of 2011-2014/Main Electropop Era Teens

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/15 at 11:01 am

Here they are

http://sarahnewton.com/generation-z-are-coming/

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/

http://geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/qt/generations.htm

http://growingleaders.com/blog/seven-shifts-as-generation-y-becomes-generation-z/

http://www.blogging4jobs.com/work/5-generation-workplace/#muXdweSakourfcbT.97

I was agreeing with you dude. I said countless times that early 90's borns are more culturally linked to late 80's borns rather than mid 90's borns. I agree that 1994 & 1993 as well is more on the Y/Z spectrum along with 1995 & 1996 babies. Here's how I divide it:

What about those born from 1997 to 2000? I consider them to be Yers as well especially that I have family born within that time period. They don't seem that much different from me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/15 at 11:11 am

Hey guys here are a few more articles.

http://communityrising.bancvue.com/alphabet-soup-who-exactly-is-gen-y-gen-x-gen-z/

I'm not sure why today's babies are considred Gen Alpha when Z is not even finished being born yet.

http://mccrindle.com.au/the-mccrindle-blog/what-comes-after-generation-z-introducing-generation-alpha

The 3rd one is so absurd. How is 1990 the first year of generation Z? I know for sure they aren't.

http://www.weldingandgasestoday.org/index.php/2014/06/meet-generation-z/

Written By: mqg96 on 10/01/15 at 11:19 am

Hey guys here are a few more articles.

http://communityrising.bancvue.com/alphabet-soup-who-exactly-is-gen-y-gen-x-gen-z/

I'm not sure why today's babies are considred Gen Alpha when Z is not even finished being born yet.

http://mccrindle.com.au/the-mccrindle-blog/what-comes-after-generation-z-introducing-generation-alpha

The 3rd one is so absurd. How is 1990 the first year of generation Z? I know for sure they aren't.

http://www.weldingandgasestoday.org/index.php/2014/06/meet-generation-z/

The first article clearly states that Generation Z ends in 1996 and starts in 1996, since it said the oldest Z members were 18 years old in 2014 and the youngest Y members were 18 in 2014, the 2nd article says Generation Z est. 1995, AGAIN, and the third article, well you stated that already. This is why I said what I said, you hardly see the majority of articles specifically saying Z starts in 2000 or 2001, it's usually the inaccurate or wiki sites that states that Z starts in 2000, 2001, or 2004. It's the recent accurate articles and businesses that always says it starts in 1995 or 1996, but then again, it's all our opinions though. I don't agree with any of it either.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/01/15 at 11:37 am

http://sarahnewton.com/generation-z-are-coming/

I believe the writer of this article is from the UK, and it looks like one of those big font articles that aren't 100% accurate, but it's ok with me though. Since the UK might have been behind in technology compared to the U.S. at the time the internet BOOM got big.

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/

The references used to create this article are outdated.

http://geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/qt/generations.htm

Great list, but doesn't give a reason for why he believes Generation Y ends in 2000 and Z starts in 2001.

http://growingleaders.com/blog/seven-shifts-as-generation-y-becomes-generation-z/

Note: Sociologists and data analysts are still debating how to classify Generation Z. Some have said the population begins around 1995, while others say 2001. The research we collected includes information from both sides of this conversation.
and if it's not shown right away, it'll be mentioned eventually some place else in the article, it's still being debated as of July 2015, however, as of September 2015, recent NY time articles went with 1996 as the first full Z year.

http://www.blogging4jobs.com/work/5-generation-workplace/#muXdweSakourfcbT.97

Another dated article by two years, and this person is clearly using his own opinion for all the generations. Notice how for Baby Boomers he put 1944-1960, when everyone knows that most people go with 1945/1946-1964, with the end of WWII being the start of the generation. I guess starting Generation X a little bit earlier isn't a bad thing, because with some definitions started X at 1965 and ending it in 1976 is just way too short by 11 years.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 10/01/15 at 11:53 am

I know that you were agreeing with me from before. I just thought I'd reinforce that for those who believe otherwise.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/01/15 at 12:46 pm

I'd actually move 85ers and even 86ers to the early Gen Y section!

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 10/01/15 at 1:01 pm

I think it would depend on the person as some people didn't have internet as late as 2001/02. In fact, despite the internet rising to popularity with the release of Windows '95 and IE, the use of it was actually low until the early-mid 2000s. That would give mid 90s babies enough time for them to recall not having internet in their homes.

As for being born in 1991, it also depends on the graduation class. There are plenty of 91ers who were in the C/O 2010, so they were in HS with 94ers for 2 years as the latter are mostly in the C/O 2012. Since you were in the C/O 2009, you are definitely more similar with those in the C/O 2007 and '08; however, those born in 1991 who were in the C/O 2010 are more similar with those in the C/O 2009, 2011 and 2012.
I kind of disagree with the statement about 1991 borns who graduated in 2010 having more in common with Class of 2011 and class of 2012 because you have to remember that there may be some January-July/August 1991 borns that may have graduated in 2010 because either they started school late or got held back a grade(myself included), and that although they may have graduated later than their expected graduation date it still doesn't change the fact that they are closer in age to those who were graduating class 2007 and 2008 than C/O 2012 and that their experiences growing up would be be more similar to 1989 and 1990 borns than 1994 borns. Hell, I've even known some people who were 2 years late to their expected graduating class, two examples of this would be that I know a guy whomI went to middle school with who was born in June of 1990 who was graduating class of 2010 and I have a friend who was born in 1989 who was graduating class of 2009, so I think that it would be more accurate to go buy the actual ages of the individual rather than when they graduated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/15 at 1:24 pm

The first article clearly states that Generation Z ends in 1996 and starts in 1996, since it said the oldest Z members were 18 years old in 2014 and the youngest Y members were 18 in 2014, the 2nd article says Generation Z est. 1995, AGAIN, and the third article, well you stated that already. This is why I said what I said, you hardly see the majority of articles specifically saying Z starts in 2000 or 2001, it's usually the inaccurate or wiki sites that states that Z starts in 2000, 2001, or 2004. It's the recent accurate articles and businesses that always says it starts in 1995 or 1996, but then again, it's all our opinions though. I don't agree with any of it either.

In the first article, it does say that, but it also says this as well if you scroll down further.

From there it was all down-alphabet. The generation after Gen X naturally became Gen Y, born 1981-2001 (give or take a few years on either end). At some point someone decided this was a dumb way to name generations, and the term millennials was born. While I concur with the notion, it sure added to the confusion.

Generation Z is made up of the whippersnappers born from the mid-2000s to today. The Gen Z nomenclature was used early on during the need to name these peeps. But hasn’t caught on with as much vigor. Perhaps, thankfully, signaling the end of the alphabet soup. Though, it does open up a Pandora’s pun-off of potential labels, including Gen Tech, post-millennials, iGeneration, and my new favorite, Gen Y-Fi, recently dubbed in this Huffington Post post.

For the second one, it's the site of where you got the photo from that you posted on another site. We already know the site owner is clearly going by the 1995 date. What I was talking about is generation alpha. I don't think that generation started yet as Z is still being born and that the pure Zers are barely entering high school.

Actually, it's not recent. Here's a few articles from 2004, 2005/06 and 2008 that stated Generation Y ending in 1994 with Z beginning in 1995, which at the time was still too early because even Y was being discussed on when it began and ended.

http://www.socialmarketing.org/newsletter/features/generation1.htm

http://www.frogpond.com/Managing-Generation-Y--Every-Piece-Has-Its-Purpose--FP1-jansbach03

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2008/04/final_words_on.html

I believe the writer of this article is from the UK, and it looks like one of those big font articles that aren't 100% accurate, but it's ok with me though. Since the UK might have been behind in technology compared to the U.S. at the time the internet BOOM got big.
The references used to create this article are outdated.
Great list, but doesn't give a reason for why he believes Generation Y ends in 2000 and Z starts in 2001.
Note: Sociologists and data analysts are still debating how to classify Generation Z. Some have said the population begins around 1995, while others say 2001. The research we collected includes information from both sides of this conversation.
and if it's not shown right away, it'll be mentioned eventually some place else in the article, it's still being debated as of July 2015, however, as of September 2015, recent NY time articles went with 1996 as the first full Z year.
Another dated article by two years, and this person is clearly using his own opinion for all the generations. Notice how for Baby Boomers he put 1944-1960, when everyone knows that most people go with 1945/1946-1964, with the end of WWII being the start of the generation. I guess starting Generation X a little bit earlier isn't a bad thing, because with some definitions started X at 1965 and ending it in 1976 is just way too short by 11 years.

See? Not only are people still debating on when Y/Z ends/begins, but even X as well. You can't even imagine how early 80s babies feel about being placed in the Y cohort. They are in the same position as you guys. As you and other mid 90s babies don't identify with Z at all, they don't identify with Y at all either. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/15 at 2:08 pm

I kind of disagree with the statement about 1991 borns who graduated in 2010 having more in common with Class of 2011 and class of 2012 because you have to remember that there may be some January-July/August 1991 borns that may have graduated in 2010 because either they started school late or got held back a grade(myself included), and that although they may have graduated later than their expected graduation date it still doesn't change the fact that they are closer in age to those who were graduating class 2007 and 2008 than C/O 2012 and that their experiences growing up would be be more similar to 1989 and 1990 borns than 1994 borns. Hell, I've even known some people who were 2 years late to their expected graduating class, two examples of this would be that I know a guy whomI went to middle school with who was born in June of 1990 who was graduating class of 2010 and I have a friend who was born in 1989 who was graduating class of 2009, so I think that it would be more accurate to go buy the actual ages of the individual rather than when they graduated.
That's true as well. There are people who were born in early-mid '91 who graduated in 2010. I'm sure they didn't feel much different from people who were a few months older than them considering that they were basically in the same classrooms as them. You're right that despite being 2/3 grad classes apart, they are still closer in age regardless. Hey, in addition to this statement, depending on the state/country people live in, there are late '91 borns who were in the C/O 2009 and it goes for everyone else.

It's the same thing with me regarding this topic. I feel closer to those born in 1991 and '92 than 1994 and '95 especially that I had classes with them more often when I was in MS and HS. In addition to that, I remember a small portion of the mid 90s like them and I was in elementary school when Clinton was president.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/01/15 at 3:28 pm

I thought 98 Degree didn't have their first single until 1998, and Biggie's song Hypnotize does seem to have some lyrical elements of what would be known as Mafioso rap if you listen closely to the lyrics.

Nope, they had this in the summer of 1997.

Hypnotize isn't a completely jarring shift from Biggie's mid-90s material, because it does contain some elements of mafioso as you said (Life After Death was really the last significant album of the mafioso rap movement of the mid-90s), but it's still mostly just a braggadocio anthem featuring Wallace's tight flow and a blatantly radio-friendly chorus.  Just a few months prior, Nas scored his best-charting song of the 90s, Street Dreams, a track that is mafioso from head to toe, even with its Eurythmics interpolation.  Compared to the singles off of No Way Out and Harlem World, the material from Life After Death is definitely harder and more clearly mafioso, but Biggie still had much grittier songs in the mid-90s, like Player's Anthem with Junior M.A.F.I.A. and Brooklyn's Finest off of Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt album.

It's the same thing with me regarding this topic. I feel closer to those born in 1991 and '92 than 1994 and '95 especially that I had classes with them more often when I was in MS and HS. In addition to that, I remember a small portion of the mid 90s like them and I was in elementary school when Clinton was president.

I agree.  I was class of 2011 and born in 1992, so there are plenty of '10's who are younger than me.  I distinctly remember my 3rd birthday party in 1995, as well as getting addicted to Nintendo in 1998, well before the release of the GameCube (which I consider inferior to the N64) and on the dawn of Pokémania, which swept my class in kindergarten, during a time even '12's were not in grade school.  Although I do think 2010s culture fully took off in 2009, half of my class' stay in high school was still during the period that snap, Timbaland-produced pop, and pop rock were dominant forms of music, so we were already approaching college by the time electropop was fully established.  In all honesty, I'd probably describe the class of 2011 as transitional between core and late Gen-Y, but I wouldn't categorize my class as being closer to the classes of 2012 and 2013 than the classes of 2010 and 2009.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/02/15 at 10:44 pm

I agree.  I was class of 2011 and born in 1992, so there are plenty of '10's who are younger than me.  I distinctly remember my 3rd birthday party in 1995, as well as getting addicted to Nintendo in 1998, well before the release of the GameCube (which I consider inferior to the N64) and on the dawn of Pokémania, which swept my class in kindergarten, during a time even '12's were not in grade school.  Although I do think 2010s culture fully took off in 2009, half of my class' stay in high school was still during the period that snap, Timbaland-produced pop, and pop rock were dominant forms of music, so we were already approaching college by the time electropop was fully established.  In all honesty, I'd probably describe the class of 2011 as transitional between core and late Gen-Y, but I wouldn't categorize my class as being closer to the classes of 2012 and 2013 than the classes of 2010 and 2009.
High five!! C/O 2011 here as well. As for most things you stated, it happened with me too. Pokemon was so huge that everyone I knew participated in the trend of buying the merchandise from cards, games, toys etc.

I agree with you. Our class is definitely in a transition between core and late Y. In fact, most of our high school days were during the 00s itself than the 10s. I feel like only our senior year took place in the latter. When I look back at my first 2 years of high school, despite the electropop rising, the trends you mentioned were still in full force. I heard more of the Timbaland-pop, snap and Pop-Punk music during my sophomore year than the actual electro-pop which began junior year for us.

As for the graduation classes, we are in between the ones you mentioned; however, I feel that we're closer to the C/O 2010 than 2012.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/02/15 at 10:47 pm

High five!! C/O 2011 here as well. As for most things you stated, it happened with me too. Pokemon was so huge that everyone I knew participated in the trend of buying the merchandise from cards, games, toys etc.

I agree with you. Our class is definitely in a transition between core and late Y. In fact, most of our high school days were during the 00s itself than the 10s. I feel like only our senior year took place in the latter. When I look back at my first 2 years of high school, despite the electropop rising, the trends you mentioned were still in full force. I heard more of the Timbaland-pop, snap and Pop-Punk music during my sophomore year than the actual electro-pop which began junior year for us.

As for the graduation classes, we are in between the ones you mentioned; however, I feel that we're closer to the C/O 2010 than 2012.

I have to ask, How does it feel being born in September of 1993 and graduating in 2011? Cause if you lived where I am at, you would have graduated in 2012! ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/02/15 at 11:22 pm

I have to ask, How does it feel being born in September of 1993 and graduating in 2011? Cause if you lived where I am at, you would have graduated in 2012! ;D
I feel out of balance. I might not be the youngest in my graduation class, but I feel that I should have been older than most of my friends and classmates. As right now, most are about to be 23 and I barely turned 22. It's why I've been telling some of my family that I don't feel my age.

If I had been born a year earlier, I would be in sync as my friends and I would be the same age.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/08/15 at 8:32 am

I wouldn't be surprised if someone born in 1976 or 1977 was considered "Generation Y" in the '90s. Things have changed of course, and I think the current definition of 1965-1980 being Generation X makes perfect sense.

Interestingly enough, it was people born in the '70s that defined the generation!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/08/15 at 12:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if someone born in 1976 or 1977 was considered "Generation Y" in the '90s. Things have changed of course, and I think the current definition of 1965-1980 being Generation X makes perfect sense.

Interestingly enough, it was people born in the '70s that defined the generation!

Very true! That's why I say bullsheesh when someone says 1995 or 1996 is z lol

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/01/15 at 8:43 pm

I think it would make more sense for the last few years of the 1990s to be part of the Millennial Generation, since the 1990s were the last 20th century decade and I wouldn't extend Generation Z to any year before 2000.

Here are a few sites with 2000 as the first year of Generation Z:

http://www.talentedheads.com/2013/04/09/generation-confused/ (2000-present)

http://hellogiggles.com/meet-the-millennials-why-were-different-than-other-generations/ (early 2000s-present)

https://amacombooks.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/claire-raines-on-10-predictions-for-generation-z/ (2000-2020)

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 2:39 pm

Dude, I was born in October 1993, so I just barely missed the cutoff date (I graduated in 2012). How is it that you have more in common with people whom are 1-2 years older than you, as opposed to someone whom is only a month younger than you? You may be at a different grade level, but age difference is also a factor. I knew a guy who was born in early 1994, and he graduated in 2011. Does he have more in common with people that are 3 years older than him, than someone born in late 94, whom happens to be a class of 2013?

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 2:45 pm

Nope, they had this in the summer of 1997.

Hypnotize isn't a completely jarring shift from Biggie's mid-90s material, because it does contain some elements of mafioso as you said (Life After Death was really the last significant album of the mafioso rap movement of the mid-90s), but it's still mostly just a braggadocio anthem featuring Wallace's tight flow and a blatantly radio-friendly chorus.  Just a few months prior, Nas scored his best-charting song of the 90s, Street Dreams, a track that is mafioso from head to toe, even with its Eurythmics interpolation.  Compared to the singles off of No Way Out and Harlem World, the material from Life After Death is definitely harder and more clearly mafioso, but Biggie still had much grittier songs in the mid-90s, like Player's Anthem with Junior M.A.F.I.A. and Brooklyn's Finest off of Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt album.

Pokemon was released in late 1998, but it didn't become a phenomenon until 1999. Sure it was growing in popularity, but I remember it's popularity really exploded in 1999, around the time I started Kindergarten. You can't go by class graduation years, because there are always going to be people whom are graduating a year earlier or even later. I knew a guy whom was born around the spring of 1992, yet was only a grade above me. And, there were two people born in 1994, whom were a grade ahead. So where do I fit in? Being born in October 1993, I just barely missed the cutoff date.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 2:48 pm

I feel out of balance. I might not be the youngest in my graduation class, but I feel that I should have been older than most of my friends and classmates. As right now, most are about to be 23 and I barely turned 22. It's why I've been telling some of my family that I don't feel my age.

If I had been born a year earlier, I would be in sync as my friends and I would be the same age.

Which kind of proves my point that graduation dates don't really work for grouping generations.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/02/15 at 3:18 pm

Pokemon was released in late 1998, but it didn't become a phenomenon until 1999. Sure it was growing in popularity, but I remember it's popularity really exploded in 1999, around the time I started Kindergarten. You can't go by class graduation years, because there are always going to be people whom are graduating a year earlier or even later. I knew a guy whom was born around the spring of 1992, yet was only a grade above me. And, there were two people born in 1994, whom were a grade ahead. So where do I fit in? Being born in October 1993, I just barely missed the cutoff date.

I was in kindergarten in the 1998/1999 school year, and I remember everybody raving about Pokémon  by the time spring rolled around, if not a little sooner.  But you are right that Pokémon's viral status wasn't overnight; I remember Nintendo 64 games like Banjo-Kazooie and Mario Kart 64 still being all the rage when I started school in autumn 1998.  Pokémon was really to the 1998/1999 school year what Yu-Gi-Oh! was to the 2001/2002 school year; both came out in September of their respective years, but they took about a half year longer to fully develop into a craze.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/02/15 at 4:01 pm

Dude, I was born in October 1993, so I just barely missed the cutoff date (I graduated in 2012). How is it that you have more in common with people whom are 1-2 years older than you, as opposed to someone whom is only a month younger than you? You may be at a different grade level, but age difference is also a factor. I knew a guy who was born in early 1994, and he graduated in 2011. Does he have more in common with people that are 3 years older than him, than someone born in late 94, whom happens to be a class of 2013?

Well it depends as the max age limit could be up to 6/7 for some others; however, you're right, age does play a factor. People born in 1994 definitely have more in common with each other than people 3 years older/younger than them. As for you, despite you graduating in 2012, I still have more in common with you than someone born in 1989 especially since I had friends that are the same age as me and they were in the C/O of 2011 and '12.

Which kind of proves my point that graduation dates don't really work for grouping generations.
And you're right as in some places, there are people were born in December who graduated in 2011;  the reason some of us went with that idea because people born in within a year were getting separated by months for some reason especially when it comes to when something was released.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/02/15 at 4:05 pm

I was in kindergarten in the 1998/1999 school year, and I remember everybody raving about Pokémon  by the time spring rolled around, if not a little sooner.  But you are right that Pokémon's viral status wasn't overnight; I remember Nintendo 64 games like Banjo-Kazooie and Mario Kart 64 still being all the rage when I started school in autumn 1998.  Pokémon was really to the 1998/1999 school year what Yu-Gi-Oh! was to the 2001/2002 school year; both came out in September of their respective years, but they took about a half year longer to fully develop into a craze.

Yeah, the rise of Pokemon was a gradual process. I first became aware of Pokemon through the anime, which started airing in syndication weekday mornings in our area on our local FOX station sometime around, say, February of 1998. At this time, it was routine for me to get up in the morning and watch TV before I went to school, and even though I had never even heard of Pokemon at that time, I got hooked on the show pretty quickly.

Still, Pokemon was anything but a major topic of conversation at my school in early 1998. I really don't remember any other kids talking about the anime at that time. The turning point, as far as I can tell, was probably when Pokemon Red & Blue were released here in the United States in September 1998. Unlike the anime, the Game Boy games took off in popularity pretty much immediately. I would say that the overwhelming majority of kids in my school didn't start watching the anime until after they'd gotten one of the games.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/02/15 at 4:11 pm

Yeah, the rise of Pokemon was a gradual process. I first became aware of Pokemon through the anime, which started airing in syndication weekday mornings in our area on our local FOX station sometime around, say, February of 1998. At this time, it was routine for me to get up in the morning and watch TV before I went to school, and even though I had never even heard of Pokemon at that time, I got hooked on the show pretty quickly.

Pokémon was on FOX in February 1998?  I thought the show didn't arrive in America until September of that year.  Were they airing the original Japanese dub from 1997 on your station or something?

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 4:17 pm

Despite Pokemon's popularity, I remember Banjo Kazooie and Mario Kart 64 were still pretty popular when I was in Kindergarten. And then of course there was Ocarina of Time, which was really big at the time (both in the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 school year). Around the late Spring/Summer of 2001 I think, Pokemon's popularity was gradually declining. It wasn't overnight, but by the end of the year, it pretty much fell in favor of stuff like Harry Potter, and later on Yu-Gi Oh (around 2002). Games like Pokemon Crystal and Stadium 2, as well as the release of Pokemon 3 The Movie, were like the last leg of Pokemania.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 4:19 pm

Pokémon was on FOX in February 1998?  I thought the show didn't arrive in America until September of that year.  Were they airing the original Japanese dub from 1997 on your station or something?

According to sources online Pokemon didn't premiere on Kids WB until Spring 1999 and from that point on that's when it truly exploded, however before then it had already premiered in syndication. It may have been on FOX for syndication or some other local stations around 1998 when it started out.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 4:21 pm

Despite Pokemon's popularity, I remember Banjo Kazooie and Mario Kart 64 were still pretty popular when I was in Kindergarten. And then of course there was Ocarina of Time, which was really big at the time (both in the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 school year). Around the late Spring/Summer of 2001 I think, Pokemon's popularity was gradually declining. It wasn't overnight, but by the end of the year, it pretty much fell in favor of stuff like Harry Potter, and later on Yu-Gi Oh (around 2002). Games like Pokemon Crystal and Stadium 2, as well as the release of Pokemon 3 The Movie, were like the last leg of Pokemania.

Most of my Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh memories were through reruns on Cartoon Network, which I believe came to the lineup around Fall 2002? if I'm correct.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 5:07 pm

Most of my Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh memories were through reruns on Cartoon Network, which I believe came to the lineup around Fall 2002? if I'm correct.

For Pokemon, yes, there were reruns of season 1 started around the fall of 2002. I think it helped bring back the popularity, to a certain extent. However, it was still not nearly as popular as it was back in 1999-2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/02/15 at 5:16 pm

According to sources online Pokemon didn't premiere on Kids WB until Spring 1999 and from that point on that's when it truly exploded, however before then it had already premiered in syndication. It may have been on FOX for syndication or some other local stations around 1998 when it started out.

Yes, just to be clear, Pokemon was not broadcast in any official capacity as part of a FOX Kids block or anything like that. It was shown in syndication by our local FOX station (FOX 54 out of Columbus, GA) weekday mornings at 7 AM. I might be a little bit off about it premiering here in February of 1998, but I know it started airing before that June, because I was still in 5th grade at the time.

It's not something I've ever really thought about before, but that does seem awfully early for the english dubbed version to be airing, considering that It'd been less than a year since it debuted in Japan. I'm not sure when Pokemon first began airing in the US, but FOX 54 might've been one of the first stations in the state to pick the syndicated version.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 6:09 pm

Yes, just to be clear, Pokemon was not broadcast in any official capacity as part of a FOX Kids block or anything like that. It was shown in syndication by our local FOX station (FOX 54 out of Columbus, GA) weekday mornings at 7 AM. I might be a little bit off about it premiering here in February of 1998, but I know it started airing before that June, because I was still in 5th grade at the time.

It's not something I've ever really thought about before, but that does seem awfully early for the english dubbed version to be airing, considering that It'd been less than a year since it debuted in Japan. I'm not sure when Pokemon first began airing in the US, but FOX 54 might've been one of the first stations in the state to pick the syndicated version.

I also live in Georgia too as you probably already know, but I obviously wouldn't remember it since I was way too young then. Pokemon is not the only show that has done this before though. I know many cartoons or sitcoms that started off on syndication when a lot of people didn't know about it yet, but once it premiered on a well known station that's when everybody found out. There was a show called "Baby Looney Tunes", and it's mostly remembered for being on Cartoon Network of course from late 2002 up until 2006, however, Baby Looney Tunes actually started off on some local Kids WB stations in summer 2001, but not all though, which I had no idea of originally.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/02/15 at 8:58 pm

I would say that Pokemon was at its peak in popularity in either 1999 or 2000 with 1998 and 2001 being the outlier years for its popularity. Basically when Pokemon Red & Blue came out in late 98, and Kids WB picked Pokemon's syndication in early 99, was when the franchise exploded

I vividly remember kids my age and older raving about the games on the gameboy/color, the card game and watching the tv show when I was 3-5 years old.

I would say the year I started kindergarten, Pokemon (at least for kids my age) was still top dog but by the end of that year it was all about YuGiOh. I actually remember watching YuGiOh all the time after school when it first came onto the scene in late 2001.

IMO

Pokemon's Peak was from 1998-2001

YuGiOh's Peak was from 2001-2004

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/02/15 at 9:45 pm

I also live in Georgia too as you probably already know, but I obviously wouldn't remember it since I was way too young then. Pokemon is not the only show that has done this before though. I know many cartoons or sitcoms that started off on syndication when a lot of people didn't know about it yet, but once it premiered on a well known station that's when everybody found out. There was a show called "Baby Looney Tunes", and it's mostly remembered for being on Cartoon Network of course from late 2002 up until 2006, however, Baby Looney Tunes actually started off on some local Kids WB stations in summer 2001, but not all though, which I had no idea of originally.

That's true, quite a few well known shows got their start in syndication. Perhaps the most famous example is Dragon Ball Z. Many people may not even remember this today, but DBZ first arrived here in America in 1996 in first-run syndication. The original, Ocean Studios dubbed episodes were such a huge flop in syndication that the company actually cancelled the dubbing of new episodes right in the middle of the Namek Saga.

As weird as it is to think about, DBZ had been practically declared dead here in the U.S. by late 1997. Similar to Pokemon on Kids WB, it was only after Toonami added re-runs of the original Ocean dubs as a space filler in their lineup in 1998 that the series exploded in popularity, and Funimation decided to dub the rest of the episodes and air them on Toonami.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/02/15 at 9:46 pm

I would say that Pokemon was at its peak in popularity in either 1999 or 2000 with 1998 and 2001 being the outlier years for its popularity. Basically when Pokemon Red & Blue came out in late 98, and Kids WB picked Pokemon's syndication in early 99, was when the franchise exploded

I vividly remember kids my age and older raving about the games on the gameboy/color, the card game and watching the tv show when I was 3-5 years old.

I would say the year I started kindergarten, Pokemon (at least for kids my age) was still top dog but by the end of that year it was all about YuGiOh. I actually remember watching YuGiOh all the time after school when it first came onto the scene in late 2001.

IMO

I agree completely. Based on your screen name, I'm assuming Ocarina of Time was one of the first games you played? It was one of the first games I ever played on a console.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 10:08 pm

Yep Pokemon and then yu gi oh starting airing reruns on CN in late 2003 on Toonami!
Also, most of your yu gi oh memories are through the reruns? ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 10:14 pm

That's true, quite a few well known shows got their start in syndication. Perhaps the most famous example is Dragon Ball Z. Many people may not even remember this today, but DBZ first arrived here in America in 1996 in first-run syndication. The original, Ocean Studios dubbed episodes were such a huge flop in syndication that the company actually cancelled the dubbing of new episodes right in the middle of the Namek Saga.

As weird as it is to think about, DBZ had been practically declared dead here in the U.S. by late 1997. Similar to Pokemon on Kids WB, it was only after Toonami added re-runs of the original Ocean dubs as a space filler in their lineup in 1998 that the series exploded in popularity, and Funimation decided to dub the rest of the episodes and air them on Toonami.

ooh, the DBZ ocean dub ;D ;) !
But, yes during the 1998-99 school year Toonami showed the reruns of DBZ and then the series got buzz, then the Freeza and Garlic Jr. saga aired in 1999-00 season, the series got on the map. But I'd say the series was in it's prime in AMERICA, during the cell and buu sagas(2000-2003).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 10:21 pm

IMO

When would you say was Dragon ball Z's peak in AMERICA? during either yu gi oh or pokemon's heyday or both?
The manga and anime were made in Japan in 1989 and ended in 1996. Like machine said before, Ocean Dub DBZ was from 1996-1998 in Syndication, 1999-2004 on Toonami. I LOL at people that say it was a cultural phenomenon in the US in the 90s, when it was actually popular during the early 2000s or millennium period during the SAME time as Pokemon, Digimon and Yu gi oh.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/03/15 at 12:19 am

When would you say was Dragon ball Z's peak in AMERICA? during either yu gi oh or pokemon's heyday or both?
The manga and anime were made in Japan in 1989 and ended in 1996. Like machine said before, Ocean Dub DBZ was from 1996-1998 in Syndication, 1999-2004 on Toonami. I LOL at people that say it was a cultural phenomenon in the US in the 90s, when it was actually popular during the early 2000s or millennium period during the SAME time as Pokemon, Digimon and Yu gi oh.

I think because most people outside these types of forums, see decades as being one homogeneous era, so terms like the "millennial period" don't exist. These are the same people whom associate the 2000s with everything negative, and think everything suddenly changed after December 31 1999. Which is kind of ironic, because DBZ was at it's peak in the early 00s. But people who pigeonhole decades just see the 2000s as a whole, and never specify the parts of the decade. Same with people with 90s nostalgia. They see 1990-1999 as one whole era. And with all these 90s nostalgia pages, you see something like TMNT and Pokemon grouped together, even though they were popular at completely different times. I was actually reading a forum that believed grunge fashion lasted throughout the entire decade. I am not even joking. Sigh, people and their obsession with the 90s.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 3:21 am

Yep Pokemon and then yu gi oh starting airing reruns on CN in late 2003 on Toonami!
Also, most of your yu gi oh memories are through the reruns? ???

I don't remember Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh being on Toonami during that time, just the two shows separately joined Cartoon Network in late 2002. Matter of fact I don't think Pokemon was ever played on Toonami until new episodes of the series started premiering on CN in 2006, which was only for a little bit from what I remember. Now when it comes to the later seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh like the 5-D's that might have joined Toonami around maybe 2005 or 2006. I remember the first couple of years Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns were played on Cartoon Network starting in Fall 2002 it would just come on during the weeknights by itself along with Cartoon Cartoons being played. To answer your last question, yes, most of my memories of Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh are through reruns on CN, now I did watch a little of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh on Kids WB throughout Kindergarten when it wasn't on CN yet, but those memories are kinda fuzzy since the shows were still new to me at the time. I have more clearer memories of watching Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns throughout late 2002-2004 on CN which helped me catch up on the series.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 5:17 am

I agree completely. Based on your screen name, I'm assuming Ocarina of Time was one of the first games you played? It was one of the first games I ever played on a console.

Yep I never owned an n64 unfortunately though. But i played it all the time at relatives and friend houses back in the day. Anyways I first played OOT in 2000 at my cousins house and fell in love with it. For much of my childhood whenever I went over there me and cousins would play it all the time and take turns when each other dies. When I finally got a GameCube in 2005, one of the first games I got for the system was the Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition which came with all of the zeldas up to that point (well except for A Link to the Past) and I played OOT from beginning to end for the first time. It's been my favorite game ever since, I've replayed it countless times on the n64, virtual console, & 3DS

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 5:23 am

I think because most people outside these types of forums, see decades as being one homogeneous era, so terms like the "millennial period" don't exist. These are the same people whom associate the 2000s with everything negative, and think everything suddenly changed after December 31 1999. Which is kind of ironic, because DBZ was at it's peak in the early 00s. But people who pigeonhole decades just see the 2000s as a whole, and never specify the parts of the decade. Same with people with 90s nostalgia. They see 1990-1999 as one whole era. And with all these 90s nostalgia pages, you see something like TMNT and Pokemon grouped together, even though they were popular at completely different times. I was actually reading a forum that believed grunge fashion lasted throughout the entire decade. I am not even joking. Sigh, people and their obsession with the 90s.

This^^^^

Yeah the same could be said about Pokemon. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't really a 90's show, well at least here where I live in the US. It didn't begin airing here until 1998 and even then it didn't explode in popularity until it was picked up Kids Wb in 1999. So it's main popularity was really 1999-2001 give or take. Mathematically you could say it's technically more of a 2000's show because of that, but because I have common sense, I know for a fact the show wasn't really popular post 2003, hence why I Typically consider it a Millennium show. It's peak in popularity in the Y2K era late of 1998/1999-2001 roughly and when the show and games were still pretty popular durian the late 2001/2002-2003 era

So for me my early childhood and start of my core childhood was when the show was at its peak, while for most of my core childhood (and during my peak in late 2003) the show was popular but overtaken by YuGiOh

Same could be said with DBZ

The Ocean Dub is before my time since it ran when I was a toddler for the most part. However most of my memories of DBZ come from the funimation dub on Toonami during the 1999-2004 era, so most of my core childhood. I first watched Toonami at my cousins in 2000 during the Cell saga and I would watch it on Toonami most often after school starting from around late 2001 when we got cable in my household

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/03/15 at 11:52 am

I don't remember Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh being on Toonami during that time, just the two shows separately joined Cartoon Network in late 2002. Matter of fact I don't think Pokemon was ever played on Toonami until new episodes of the series started premiering on CN in 2006, which was only for a little bit from what I remember. Now when it comes to the later seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh like the 5-D's that might have joined Toonami around maybe 2005 or 2006. I remember the first couple of years Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns were played on Cartoon Network starting in Fall 2002 it would just come on during the weeknights by itself along with Cartoon Cartoons being played. To answer your last question, yes, most of my memories of Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh are through reruns on CN, now I did watch a little of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh on Kids WB throughout Kindergarten when it wasn't on CN yet, but those memories are kinda fuzzy since the shows were still new to me at the time. I have more clearer memories of watching Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns throughout late 2002-2004 on CN which helped me catch up on the series.

No bro, I was saying that ONLY Yu gi oh was shown on Toonami in late 2003! NOT Pokemon, the Pokemon reruns started in 2002.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 12:42 pm

No bro, I was saying that ONLY Yu gi oh was shown on Toonami in late 2003! NOT Pokemon, the Pokemon reruns started in 2002.

Yeah I remember when they started showing reruns in 2002, which was also around when YUGiOh on Kids Wb was at its peak in popularity. So there was definitely some correlation to that. Btw do you guys remember watching Pokemon before YuGiOh came onto the scene? I personally remember first watching Pokemon in 1999 and I was hooked, hands down my favorite Kids Wb show of my early childhood. I vividly remember 1999, 2000, and especially 2001 being the it years for the franchise and the card games, anime, & game boy games at their peak in popularity as well. Heck I think there was a Pikachu blimp during the Macy's Thanksgiving parade one year (either 1999 or 2000). Anyways Pokemon just brings back great early and core childhood memories!

Written By: mqg96 on 11/03/15 at 1:03 pm

Oh you were referring to when Yu-Gi-Oh joined Toonami, but it's strange, cause I honestly don't remember Yu-Gi-Oh either being on the 2003 Toonami lineup, however, I do remember it being on the 2005 Toonami lineup then GX the following year. Matter of fact, let's get this straight, both Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns came to Cartoon Network at the same time in Fall 2002 and came on during weeknights, separately as its own shows on no block, then around summer 2003 it joined the SVES block on Saturday nights, which was kinda similar to Toonami but it was just a Saturday night action block that was short lived. That's what might be confusing you. I know this for a fact, cause I watched Toonami in 2003, which was the last year it was on weekdays, and I don't remember Yu-Gi-Oh being on the 2003 Toonami lineup but I do remember it being on SVES that year, I may be wrong, but you could research just in case.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/19/18 at 8:27 pm

I personally think 2001 is a good starting point for Generation Z. I don't think anyone born after 2000 should be considered millennials/Gen Y. I'm fine with the 1995 starting date though.

I would consider anyone born from 2001-2004 to be an early Zer IMO.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/20/18 at 12:53 pm

In my books, you're a Gen Z if you spent MOST/all of your childhood 2006+. We already exhausted the reasons around the Late 2006 Shift and the real breakout of Gen Z kid culture then, so I won't go into it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/20/18 at 1:10 pm

2005-2024

Written By: d90 on 01/20/18 at 2:01 pm

In my opinion 2003 had alot of notable differences compared to 2002 that I noticed like Dvd overtaking Vhs, Gameboy Color the last fully 8 bit system was on its very last legs and died off in early 2003, popular music on the radio that I heard in  mid 2003 sounded noticeably different from what I heard in mid 2002, and the Iraq War started that year.  2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 was the time period when Traditionally Animated movies a definite touchstone of Kid culture declined and Cgi animated movies became the norm. The 2003- 2006 cultural shift was also the time when shows like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and All That stopped. Overall I think that you can be considered Generation Z if you had most of your kid years in 2005 or later.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/20/18 at 2:05 pm

In my books, you're a Gen Z if you spent MOST/all of your childhood 2006+. We already exhausted the reasons around the Late 2006 Shift and the real breakout of Gen Z kid culture then, so I won't go into it.

I realize this is because we're on a nostalgia forum, but I think people here might not place enough emphasis on things outside of childhood when it comes to generations when it's really a lot more than that.

Childhood is extremely important, but I honestly think that adolescence might be more important when it comes to generations, because those are the years when you really start to become your own person, you know what I mean?

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 2:07 pm

I realize this is because we're on a nostalgia forum, but I think people here might not place enough emphasis on things outside of childhood when it comes to generations when it's really a lot more than that.

Childhood is extremely important, but I honestly think that adolescence might be more important when it comes to generations, because those are the years when you really start to become your own person, you know what I mean?

I was about to say that. I don't get the obsession with childhood years. I think teen years are more formative, but your 20s are probably the most formative. Millennials are defined by this 2005-2020 era, not what happened in 1996. We can't really typecast Gen Z yet.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/20/18 at 2:14 pm

Roughly: 1995-2012

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/20/18 at 3:05 pm

To be honest, I have absolutely no clue why he is so obsessed with the year 2006.

I would even say it's comparable to The Early 90's Guy's 1993 obsession a while ago.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/20/18 at 3:13 pm

To be honest, I have absolutely no clue why he is so obsessed with the year 2006.

It's where we entered the future.

Written By: meesa on 01/25/18 at 3:33 pm

Closing the thread, as there is another more inclusive topic thread that includes a wide variety of generations, not just generation Z. Here is the link below :)

Every generational timeline after Baby Boomers is hard to pinpoint.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56671.0

Thanks!

Check for new replies or respond here...