inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reflections and Thoughts on Halloween

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/09/15 at 11:21 am

OK, I'm still nostalgic for Halloween of the late 1970s and 1980s (even though the 1082-83 Tylenol scare practically did away with the tradition of Trick or Treating). I enjoyed going to the local drugstore to pick one of several cheap plastic costumes with rubber band masks.  It was even better in those years when my mother would sew us a costume - most parents don't even know how to sew a patch now.

Halloween parties featuring piƱatas, apple bobbing, and the blindfolded guess the organ game - featuring wet spaghetti and peeled grapes, popcorn balls, and candied apples seem to have largely disappeared and given way to loading the kids with cheap HF corn syrup, artificial color laden crap.

It seemed like in those days every few houses would be answered by a people watching the traditional Halloween I broadcast, contributing to the shared sense of community and (pop-culture) tradition.

Back then, the holiday still had a lot of authentic mystique and mystery - which I attribute to abandoned houses that have mostly given way to new infill developments and of course the razor blade/poisoning scares.  How many kids these days have had the terrifying pleasure of visiting an abandoned house at night?

Having said all that and despite the heavy commercialization of the holiday in the past 10-15 years, I still really enjoy it. The proliferation of costumes, decorations, "haunted" houses/forests, and pumpkin patches is a nice positive.  I also like that my kids schools have all featured an annual Halloween party. And, of course, the custom of pumpkin carving is as strong as ever :)

Subject: Re: Reflections and Thoughts on Halloween

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/09/15 at 11:47 am

I'm nostalgic for Halloween as well! Though I'm apparently quite a bit younger than you -- my Halloweens were in the 1990s and early 2000s. I have fond memories of trick-or-treating and every house would be decorated. Now it seems like most houses don't bother.

Halloween has never really been about the dressing up or the candy for me though. I'm just in love with the atmosphere. The crisp air, the changing leaves, the houses that still decorate, apple cider, bonfires, scary movies and haunted documentary marathons, etc.

It helps that my bday is right before Halloween (Oct 28th) so from an early age I have probably always associated the imagery and mystique of Halloween with the anticipation of my birthday.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/09/15 at 11:53 am

"Halloween has never really been about the dressing up or the candy for me though. I'm just in love with the atmosphere. The crisp air, the changing leaves, the houses that still decorate, apple cider, bonfires, scary movies and haunted documentary marathons, etc."

Agree with you on that point Mark.  I think the decorated houses varies by neighborhood.  I've found that you get the best bang for your buck in suburbs filled with younger families.  Even then, its usually street-by-street, but then again it always was.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/15 at 1:36 pm

I thought Halloween back then was cool growing up in the late 70's and 80's. It was a time to get dressed up as my favorite character, going outside in the cool weather and going door to door saying "Trick or Treat" and getting candies thrown into your bag.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/10/15 at 11:26 pm

Where I live in Texas, it's still pretty warm for the most part in October, so that Halloween atmosphere isn't as apparent. I'll never forget seeing an advertisement outside of Starbucks that said, "Fall is in the air," even though it was 90 degrees outside.

I was at a few Halloween stores this evening and browsing those places really made me realize what a sexist holiday Halloween is. Police costumes differ so much depending on gender - for women, they consist of short skirts and busty tops; for men, they look like regular police uniforms. It really isn't acceptable for men to dress "sexy" for Halloween except in the gay community. I think that's bulls**t.  ::)

Written By: GH1996 on 10/13/15 at 10:55 pm

I was a fan of Halloween when I was younger now it's just another day on the calendar for me, not sure why.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/15 at 8:04 am

Now you got the kids these days throwing eggs and shaving cream at one another. ::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/14/15 at 11:55 am

Now you got the kids these days throwing eggs and shaving cream at one another. ::)

I thought they've been doing that?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/14/15 at 3:08 pm

I thought they've been doing that?  ::)

How long has that been a Halloween tradition?

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/14/15 at 6:03 pm

How long has that been a Halloween tradition?

I was thinking about kids vandalizing people's houses and causing other kinds of mischief. That's why I was surprised when you said that was new.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/14/15 at 6:08 pm

Halloween has evolved. Growing up in the 60's and 70's Halloween was a child's holiday. Parades,
school parties and town wide trick or treating. It has since become an adult holiday. A lot has to
due with the fact that we as a society can't trust any one anymore. So, out goes the all day town
wandering going trick or treating and in comes the all night bar hopping.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/15 at 7:34 pm

It's not a huge holiday to me but I still get excited for the atmosphere and the energy of the holiday.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/15 at 7:34 am

I was thinking about kids vandalizing people's houses and causing other kinds of mischief. That's why I was surprised when you said that was new.

Well that too, I always wonder why they wait till Halloween to do it?

Written By: Howard on 10/15/15 at 7:35 am

Halloween has evolved. Growing up in the 60's and 70's Halloween was a child's holiday. Parades,
school parties and town wide trick or treating. It has since become an adult holiday. A lot has to
due with the fact that we as a society can't trust any one anymore. So, out goes the all day town
wandering going trick or treating and in comes the all night bar hopping.

I think society forgot how it feels to have fun on Halloween.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/15/15 at 4:59 pm

Well that too, I always wonder why they wait till Halloween to do it?

I guess 'cause they'll be in costume and won't be as easily identifiable.  :P

Written By: annimal on 10/15/15 at 5:53 pm

When I was a kid, I did the costume and candy stuff.  Now I just do some evil parodies over at Am I Right.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/15 at 5:54 pm

I guess 'cause they'll be in costume and won't be as easily identifiable.  :P

This is why houses get trashed with toilet paper and people get smashed with shaving cream and eggs. ::)

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/19/15 at 1:57 pm

When I was a kid, I loved Halloween and didn't like Thanksgiving as much because it meant food that kids didn't really like, the essence that Christmas was coming but still seemed a ways off, and also before the innocence of obesity (though even back then I had a limit). Nowadays, while I still sort of like Halloween for the atmosphere, certain things don't creep me out like I once did and am spoiled from watching Let's Make A Deal so often, which like Halloween is all about costumes, certain side entertainment, and Trick-or-Treat meaning Zonks (Tricks) or nice prizes (Treats). It's all about family, but makes me wish I had kids. I do like the origins of the holiday, and in essence the swing towards Yuletide is reflected by many stores starting their Winter Solstice/Christmas promotions for earnest immediately after the holiday.

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 5:14 pm

This my favorite night of the year.  I did the whole trick or treating thing but stopped before junior high.  As an adult I dressed up a few times but I'm not into parties.  I just watch a bunch of movies and dress as my scary self lol

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 8:19 am

This my favorite night of the year.  I did the whole trick or treating thing but stopped before junior high.  As an adult I dressed up a few times but I'm not into parties.  I just watch a bunch of movies and dress as my scary self lol

I grew out of enjoying Halloween as I became older so now I just enjoy the holiday because of the delicious candies.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/23/15 at 12:26 pm

Its a lot more fun with kids in the mix.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 4:10 pm

Its a lot more fun with kids in the mix.

until the brats keeping knocking on the door thinking someone's home when we have our lights off.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/30/15 at 12:41 pm

:D  Yeah, I was referring to my own.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/15 at 3:24 pm

:D  Yeah, I was referring to my own.

What do your kids think of Halloween?

Check for new replies or respond here...