inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Untalked about artists

Written By: Ripley on 11/11/15 at 3:11 pm

There are so many music artists that are not talked about anymore. Some of them even release albums yet still. Granted a good amount of them don't care to be popular or do much promotion. Then there are those who just prefer to tour who may or may not want to release new music.

Several people I listen to have never been mainstream so I'm quit used to digging for info about what they're up to. But its still in a way sad that so and so are oppsolete.

I'm referring to artists whose popularity was several years ago. No one who started after, let's say 2000. I'll give some examples from different genres. Maybe you all have seen articles about them on the web/magazines but I sure haven't.

Bryan Adams, Shawn Colvin, Duncan Sheik, Paula Cole, Brandy, Natalie Merchant, Finger Eleven, Meredith Banbridge, Hoobastank, Marcus Burnett, Goo Goo Dolls, Lee Ann Womack, The Prodigy, All 4 One, Timbaland, Silverchair, Alan Jackson, Enya, Ace Of Base, Ultra Nate, Crystal Waters, Everything But The Girl, Annie Lennox, Mya...

So that's a large amount of people from all over music to which I rarely if at all hear better yet read about. Unless ovcourse I look them up.

Subject: Re: Untalked about artists

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/11/15 at 4:00 pm

You know I'll say 3T.

Written By: Ripley on 11/11/15 at 4:45 pm

You know I'll say 3T.

Its been probably two decades since anything about them has been talked about.  Its sad to me that all the stuff I hear about the Jackson's is about money or what's right for the kids.  I always hear about them fighting, while I don't know if that's true I feel Michael wouldn't have wanted things to get that way after his passing.  I bet they have stuff going on with their music I don't know about.  Rarely ever is Janet's career talked about and she's the most popular Jackson after Michael.  Though I did read she's going on tour again.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/11/15 at 5:33 pm

You are obviously not in the Jackson Sphere like I am. I will state I am not anywhere near as big on Janet as I am on some of the male Jacksons, although I do have one of her CDs. I know about everything to do with Janet through like osmosis. People spread stuff around through my social media and that's how I know.
Now with the Michael Jackson and the Jacksons that's something I actively seek out because as I'm typing this I'm sitting in a room with MJ all over the walls. I like the remaining members of the Jacksons, in particular Marlon and help run a fanclub for him.
3T is a difficult thing. The same year 3T came out is the year I got in to MJ so they were literally invisible to me. I didn't know of them until 1998 when they were in a Jackson family documentary. Again, I thought they were cute but didn't know much since they were bigger in Europe. In 2005, Michael went into hiding following his trial and out of sheer boredom I looked them up. I liked them and for 2 years I was really strong and into 3T. The band broke up, I moved onto Prince. Prince has since annoyed the fudge out of me which was convenient as 3T came back with a reality show and new album. I fell right back in. I'm literally talking to people I met ten years ago like no time has passed. I joined several 3T and Taryll Jackson clubs--because Taryll did two solo albums in the lull--like 5 days ago. I've already been bumped to president of one 3T club and practically run a Taryll club. People are coming to me, when they learn I've been into 3T a long time, asking for help. Especially the American fans because the Europeans recognize talent better. I'm hoping they tour the USA I'm saving in hopes. I'm in so many clubs mostly to keep my ears open for performances and concerts etc. And I hope to one day see Taryll and hug him. He's only 40 he's got alot of music left in him. My friends want to see 3T. One loves Taj the other loves TJ so we all want to see our faves. Fingers crossed. The new album is good, it just needs to have the absolute raving hell promoted out of it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/17/17 at 7:28 am

Silverchair

Silverchair broke up in 2011. Correct me if i'm wrong, but was "Tomorrow" Silverchair's only hit in the US? That might be why they seem untalked about. In Australia, they continued to release successful albums/singles well into the Late 2000s. The majority of their singles peaked within the ARIA Top 10. 

Written By: #Infinity on 05/17/17 at 8:29 am

Silverchair broke up in 2011. Correct me if i'm wrong, but was "Tomorrow" Silverchair's only hit in the US? That might be why they seem untalked about. In Australia, they continued to release successful albums/singles well into the Late 2000s. The majority of their singles peaked within the ARIA Top 10.

"Abuse Me" was also a pretty big hit on rock stations, albeit not as massive as "Tomorrow." "Pure Massacre" and "Anthem for the Year 2000" also got some modest success.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/17/17 at 10:14 pm

"Abuse Me" was also a pretty big hit on rock stations, albeit not as massive as "Tomorrow." "Pure Massacre" and "Anthem for the Year 2000" also got some modest success.

Interesting. I had a feeling that was the case, but I wasn't entirely sure. If i'm not mistaken, "Tomorrow" was the only Silverchair song to have charted on the Billboard Hot 100. I think it peaked at #28 on the Hot 100 sometime in 1995. The version of "Tomorrow" which charted in the US is actually quite different from the original version of the song, which charted in Australia a year earlier. The US release is more polished and the vocals are less raw, whereas the original release is more true to the original Seattle Grunge sound. Both releases of the song are on YouTube.

On the topic of Silverchair, i'm a bit surprised that "Freak" didn't chart in the US at all. I'm not sure if you are aware of the song at all, but it is off the same album as "Abuse Me".

Check for new replies or respond here...