inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decade Eras Based on Your Personal Life

Written By: #Infinity on 12/02/15 at 4:13 am

Most of the time, we discuss where there boundaries are for decade sub-eras based on popular culture at-large.  However, the social atmosphere you experience is also heavily contingent with your personal life.  In some ways, your personal life may be affected by evolving popular trends, but usually, they're defined by life events, milestones, tragedies, achievements, or newly developed activities and passions.  I thought this would be a fun spin-off to the plethora of decade discussions we already have, based on how the world shifted through the lens of your own experiences.

Here's my personal rundown:

Mid-90s:  Summer 1995 to Summer 1998
Basically my early childhood, during the time I had my first memories.  This was when I attended preschool, as well as when I played several educational tools, watched PBS shows like Barney and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and saw Disney Renaissance movies while they were still new.

Late 90s:  Summer 1998 to Autumn 2001
This era ushered in my core childhood, beginning with my introduction to real video games via the Nintendo 64's at one of the daycares I attended.  During this time, I spent most of my free time playing video games and watching the Pokémon anime.  It was also when I was first introduced to memorable computer games such as SimTown, Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, and Age of Empires.  During second grade, I watched Nickelodeon, but abandoned the channel once The Angry Beavers was taken off the air.

Early 2000s:  Winter 2001/2002 to November 4, 2004
This was probably the period when I was most immersed in mainstream popular culture.  My love of Nintendo and computer games continued directly into this era, but I also began to predominantly listen to mainstream music, beginning with the Shrek soundtrack and then transitioning into the Now That's What I Call Music! series.  Though I was excited about the Nintendo GameCube when I first got it with Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee, I ended up playing with my Game Boy Advance far more than any other handheld.  At this time, a lot of my friends were getting into more mature video games like Halo, which I had little interest in, but I was able to chat with them heavily about Cartoon Network shows, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh!.  Early on in fifth grade, I began to play the trombone, which became my primary extracurricular activity throughout grade school and college.

Mid 2000s:  November 5, 2004 to November 3, 2006
This era of my life began the day that my sister got Dance Dance Revolution Extreme for her birthday (which is the 6th, but I distinctly remember the present being opened a day in advance).  I fell in love with the game instantly and was able to play on Heavy mode regularly by the end of the year.  Thanks to the additional workout from playing DDR, I was at my thinnest during this time.  During the course of sixth grade, I managed to shave off nearly five whole minutes from my mile time, which eventually inspired me to run cross country in high school.  This era was also when I first became an active participant of online communities; I initially began by posting customer reviews on Amazon.com (including the featured customer review for DDR Extreme 2), before joining my first online forum, DDRFreak.com, in January 2006.  Around the end of seventh grade, I started getting more interested in In the Groove, a more challenging clone of DDR, but stopped playing it after Konami acquired the rights to the series (effectively killing it), as well as when I found out that the ITG community in my area disliked me all along (which was the first major nudge in my life to become less socially awkward).

In general, I consider this period, which encompassed most of my middle school days, to be the period when I started to deviate from my peers to the point where I basically lived in my own little world.  As you should know based on posts I've made, seventh grade was about the time I started to really dislike current popular music, and I instead started listening mostly to DDR music, eurodance, and a few older groups like The Offspring and the Beastie Boys.  Whereas my world in the early 2000s was centered around my schoolmates, my mid 2000s world was my life revolved around my niched online communities.  It didn't help, either, that I began to notice my attraction towards other girls in 2004, during which I made two disastrous attempts at flirting with them, which gave birth to a tumorous insecurity about my ability to love somebody without scaring her away and which has made it hard for me to live in such a love/sex-centric society ever since.

Late 2000s:  November 4, 2006 to Spring 2009
This era for me began the day I first listened to a Super Eurobeat compilation.  I had learned about the eurobeat genre through my online DDR communities, and eventually discovered this expansive music series, which at the time consisted of 172 volumes, more than twice the number of UK Now albums that were out.  Though I continued to be an avid fan of Dance Dance Revolution, my focus gradually shifted away from the actual Konami games to the open source simulator, StepMania, through which I could design the graphics and steps for any song I desired and play them as DDR tracks.  I met most of my closest online acquaintances through simfile competitions for StepMania.  Once I transitioned from my 8th grade public middle school seminar program to my private 9th grade high school, my interests remained largely the same, but I began running cross country, which would gradually overtake DDR as my primary form of exercise.

Early 2010s:  Summer 2009 to June 5th, 2011
During my first two years of high school, I mostly continued to live in my own little world, listening to eurobeat songs on my iPod 24/7, designing StepMania simfiles, and eating several meals at the Wahoo's across the street from school.  Around the end of 10th grade was a sort of wake up call for me; I had gradually developed a love for theatre thanks to my exposure to student plays during enrichment periods, thus prompting me to take an introduction to theatre course in the fall of 11th grade, before later being part of the cast for Hamlet (I was given a part that the director inserted for me, which had few lines but whose Lion King counterpart is definitely the trio of hyenas).  I also began to take my academics more seriously than ever before; college was approaching, and perhaps in part thanks to the sentimentality of experiencing my school's centennial, but also because I had grown to seriously admire a lot of my fellow students, I wanted to make the absolute best out of my remaining two years before heading out to college (which I was also excited about at the time).  Due to the passage of Proposition 8 and popularization of Facebook, I became much more aware of current social and political trends around this time.  My obsession with eurobeat and eurodance continued into this period, but I also began to integrate Steely Dan and Stevie Wonder into my playlist as well.  Basically, this was the period that finally brought me out of my mid-late 2000s shell (or at least partially; I was still pretty eccentric compared to the rest of my classmates).

12th grade, in particular, was probably the happiest time of my whole life so far.  It was during this time that I did best in my classes and enjoyed them most, popular music was at its very best since 1997, the jazz big band and octet reached its peak, and I first fell in love with someone for far more than just looks.  It was also during this school year that I discovered how much of an 80s fan I was, prompting me to buy a bunch of 80s songs off of iTunes and burn them onto CD's that I could play in my car.

Mid 2010s:  June 6th, 2011 to present
After a highly vibrant and optimistic final two years of high school, the state of my personal life began to really sink as I prepared to enter college.  June 6th, 2011 is, so far, the worst day of my life.  It was on that day when I finally decided to call my high school crush, amidst months of anxiety, to ask if she wanted to meet for lunch, to which she replied, "Um, I don't think that's a good idea," a sentence which instantly commenced the bleak and foggy era that I've lived in to this day.  Later in the year, a month after I had started college, my crush blocked me on Facebook, and to this day I have never gotten the chance to reconcile with her.  At first, I figured I could at least dearly learn from my big mistakes and start fresh in college, but as the college environment continued to oppress me, and especially once SJW culture started to dominate the world, I felt so emotionally lost that nostalgia became the only thing through which I could appreciate life.  I missed high school more and more.  I became increasingly invested in 80s music and movies, not to mention I went through a Simpsons phase during sophomore year.  I was now lovesick to the point of dysfunction.  Coming into junior year, I began to long for my old high school crush again; I had not met anybody in college whom I admired anywhere near as much as her, and I thought that if I could somehow find a second chance to become friends with her, it would make me feel less lonely and less hard on myself.  Needless to say, even after my most passionate attempts to convince somebody to open a door of opportunity for me (since it would not have been right for me to contact my crush directly), I went absolutely nowhere.  This was a serious setback to my confidence in my own passions, and pretty much killed off whatever remaining ambition I had to make a serious impact in the world; my college courses had already led me to believe the problems of the world are in the hands of institutions (not to mention preachy, politically correct children of the digital age who complain about everything yet still have relationships, aka the one thing I've wanted most for over a decade), but seeing how useless it was for me to take heed in what my heart believed in finally led me to basically no longer set any major ambitions in life, and instead to just focus on enjoying all the little things, such as discovering music.  I finally outgrew my eurobeat obsession around the summer of 2014 and instead began purchasing music albums of every variety, mostly from the 80s and 90s.  It's the least I can enjoy while this empty feeling of helplessness continues to rage in my soul.

This entire period has been defined by identity crisis, during which I question my merit and social capabilities on an absolutely constant basis, never feeling truly satisfied due to still never having ever gotten the chance to be in a relationship, as well as lingering guilt for some of the horrible social mistakes I made growing up.  I don't know how much longer this tiresome era of mine will last, but I know that it will come to a screeching halt either the day I finally enter my first romantic relationship or I get the chance to reconcile with my old high school crush and become the close friend of hers she never had (we may not be sexually compatible - she's presumably not a lesbian - but that doesn't affect my emotional attraction to her).

Subject: Re: Decade Eras Based on Your Personal Life

Written By: Ripley on 12/02/15 at 8:40 am

I'll break this down by personal events as well as what I found fascinating at the time.

Mid 80's

I was born in March of 1985 in the afternoon.  I remember seeing a picture where my mom was sitting in the hospital bed eating McDonald's fries after she has given birth.  I had different ear surgeries.  We lived with family for a short time before getting a small house.

I was into Alf and Fraggle Rock.

Late 80's

We moved into a nice big house.  Years later I would find out that it has been haunted.  As a child I remember having imaginary friends so its kind of freaky to think about.  My sister was born the last year of the decade. 

Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.  I was a PBS kid.

Early 90's

The decade started out with my parents getting a divorce.  We lived with my mom mostly at my Grandparents' house before getting a trailer, yes a trailer.  My dad stayed at the big old house and we visited him most weekends.  When I was in the first grade I had tonsil surgery.  I also had another problem I don't care to talk about.  School was very memorable.  From the many field trips to the zoo and farms to the food and my teachers.  But I didn't have friends.  I was in Brownies for a few weeks and that's all the social I was.  I did however hang out with my sister and cousins a lot.  We all loved Hocus Pocus so much we re-enacted it a lot!  We would order pizza and rented movies every Friday.  I burnt my foot twice.  The first time I barely remember but I just stood on a heating vent cause I was young and didn't know what I was doing but I didn't get injured really.  But the other time I was hit by firecrackers and I still remember the feeling.  I have a huge scar on my foot.  This is why I am scared of fireworks.

The Little Mermaid was my favorite movie and just before the middle part of the decade Hocus Pocus became my other favorite. I loved playing video games and board games from that early age.  Especially Sonic the Hedgehog and Donkey Kong.  I became a Nickelodeon fan.  A big one.  Are You Afraid of the Dark is my favorite show ever!  House music was awesome.

Mid 90's

I was in Girl Scouts for a very short time.  I had a couple of friends but I still preferred spending time with my cousins.  We continued to spend our summers at my Grandparents while my mom was at work.  My Grandma and Mom got me into soap operas.  General Hospital and One Life To Live.  I had always loved music but I really started to appreciate it then.  I also started writing lyrics of my own, though I wouldn't take it seriously for about 5 years. 

I loved and have always loved Alternative but when the Spice Girls came out I became a super fan.  I wanted to be Victoria.  That same year I discovered the Backstreet Boys, before they actually became popular.  So I was into them for several years.  Now I really don't pay attention as I'm majorly into different Rock genres and can't stand pop.  But that's not really the reason, I wouldn't post it here.  Lets just say I know a lot about them personally that most don't.  :-X  I got seriously into Horror this year.  The Craft partly influenced my love of Magik.  But it was Scream that got me in love with Horror.  To this day Scream is still my favorite movie.  I was into MTV ovcourse.  Beavis and Butthead. 

Late 90's

I started writing stories.  Horror.  I still have so many plot ideas in my head.  I had a good friend.  We were friends for about 15 years.  But we were complete opposites.  School sucked.  I hated gym.  I was the unpopular one.  Cause I was overweight, quiet, withdrawn... I was in special ed classes.  But I hung around the bad kids in school cause they were actually cool with me being around.  This influenced my attitude so needless to say my mom made me spend the summer at my dad's.  I loved my dad but I preferred mom's house and plus at the time me and him were starting to butt heads.  I started high school a few months before the decade and I hated it.

South Park was my favorite thing to watch and I remember my mom would hate it when my sister watched.  I had the cd to Chef Aid.  But Chumbawamba - Tubthumping was the first cd I bought myself.  I had started getting into Industrial and other kinds of Rock music than Alternative.  Korn and Godsmack were my favorites bands. 

Early 00's

I became friends with my former best friend.  My first best friend.  I was closer to my cousin who was a few years younger than my others that I hung out with a lot during childhood.  I graduated in 2003.  I was still writing but by the mid 00s I wasn't as focused on either lyrics or stories.  I'm still not as into it as I once was.  My step brother passed and we were close, well used to be until he moved.  And my step sister passed too.  We were not very close.  My cat whom I had had since 1990 passed away.  :\'( I briefly worked at a grocery store.  I had been into Goth music and fashion for quite some time.  In my final year of school I really realized it though, I officially was Goth.

This is when Kittie debuted.  They were the best band.  By then I wasn't into any pop or anything outside of Rock.  Though I continued my love of House music it wasn't near as strong.  I memorized the whole first album and performed it.  By myself, in my room all alone!  Jeepers Creepers and Wrong Turn were great. 

Mid 00's 

My mom divorced my mean step father.  I was scared of his verbal abuse so I would lock myself in the bathroom.  I babysat for a while, just family.  Then, I finally got a job, well stopped being a slacker.  And I got my first apartment.  Both in 2006.  My sister got two kitties in 2005. One is now my mom's, well our's, Buddy.

I was still listening to a lot of Kittie but I had stopped listening to Nu Metal for the most part.

Late 00's

2008 was my favorite year.  I remember my cousin and I had great times.  He was almost out of high school.  Our fun would continue into 2009 but then our relationship fell apart once he started going to parties.  My mom, sister and I moved a lot.  The same city but different places.  My dad and I were like strangers when he passed away in 2007.  That same year I was having problems.  I ended up fainting and ended up in the hospital.  I'm severally anemic now.  Its not as bad as it was though.  The next year I got my dog Mattie.  I began dying my hair and now have been for 8 years I love it over my natural color.

I was pretty much into the same type of music.  But I got really into Evanescence.  I wasn't watching soap operas as much or any tv for that matter.

Early 10's 

My friendship with my best friend was having its back and forth moments.  I had dated a lot and had some crappy and short relationships.  A longer one with a serial player happened at the same time I got an apartment.  I ended up having two guy roommates.  One was a great friend.  We rarely talk now.  But nothing weird happened between us just to clear things up.  ;D This year I got my kitty Falcon.  He was almost 9 months at the time.  He's a shy boy as is my dog.  Like me.  Both have silky black hair, like me.  They both have thick fluffy hair, mine is thick as well.  Sounds like I gave birth to them!  I partied some but it was stupid.  There were drugs and I regret it all.  My mom and I moved into a nice house where we still live.  My sister got married.

I was really into Disturbed at the time.  I had a backstage ticket to a festival headlined by them.  I couldn't make it.  This really disappointed me.  >:(  I was into renting cheesy b c and d horror movies at the time.  This continued for a few years.

Mid 10's

Upon the birth of my niece, who is now a year and a half, I started really thinking about my life.  How I wanted happiness.  This got my depression spiraling out of control.  I was out of work a lot due to it.  But I lie to everyone and say it was cause someone was sick.  I feel bad about that but I just couldn't say the real reason.  I lost my job cause they don't give a crap about personal illnesses or family for that matter.  So I realized I'm manic depressive and have bad anxiety as well.  I ended my long friendship for good.  She was so toxic.  Always shoving her good stuff in my face, not giving a damn about me.  I don't know why she changed but really the problems lasted for too long.  I'm so over her.  Well that summer I met this cool guy who is into the same stuff as me and we live a couple hours apart.  But he is an awesome best friend!  I have since met several musicians and its got me wanting to get serious about writing again.  But the best thing that happened was meeting my fiancé.  He is the first man to ever give a damn about me.  We have our problems but I still feel he is the one.  He lives with me.  We haven't decided on where we will be next year but we will do it together. 
No more of the long distance crap we went through.  He has bad heath problems.  Also, my Grandpa is developing Alzheimers and its taken its toll on my mom who has arthritis.  Physically I am sore but my mental/emotional problems are mixed.  Some days are better some I just want to cry.  Work wise I have found a job at another store.  Its okay but I'm not staying with it forever.  I want to make a career for myself. 

I'm into most Rock music but Industrial is my favorite.  Most Horror movies now are bad!  But I'm a major fan of Alien which is why I post so much about it. As for tv, I don't care for it.  But I do enjoy those shows about what else?  Aliens.  :D 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/02/15 at 9:53 am

Mid 90's:

I was born during this period, March of 1996 to be exact, so I personally do not remember anything. However, during the time and period I was born the song 'One Sweet Day' by Mariah Carey was the most popular song on the Billboard charts. In other areas, Im pretty sure Gangsta Rap such as Tupac, Coolio, & Biggie Smalls were in their prime, Grunge like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam were popular as well. Movies like Happy Gilmore just released into theatres and it was around when Toy Story came onto VHS. In the realm of gaming, Super Nintendo was the most popular console at the time along with the game Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, with the Playstation starting to catch steam, especially with the release of Resident Evil several days after I was born. In fact I'm pretty sure I was born during the 4th to 5th gaming generation transition.

Late 90's: 1997-Mid 2001

Now this was for the most part my toddler and early childhood years, although a slice of my core childhood occurred in this era as I started to have vivid memories around when I was 5. Regardless I remember starting to do kiddy like things like going to the park and playing on the jungle gyms or the swings, learning to ride a bike, watching cartoons aimed at both pre school and school age audiences my favorites being Pokemon, Animaniacs, Histeria, Men in Black, & Batman Beyond on Kids WB, Doug, Recess, Buzz Lightyear Star Command, & Teacher's Pet on OSM, & I would occasionally watch Digimon and was a big fan of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, Power Rangers Light Speed Rescue, Power Rangers Time Force, & Power Rangers Wild Force all on FOX Kids! I also started gaming during this period with playing classics like the SNES, N64, Dreamcast and much more when I was 4. I got a Gameboy color in Christmas of 2000 and Playstation 1 on my 5th birthday. I saw my first movie in 1999, which was Titanic with my family and I remember watching many VHS Disney movies throughout 1999-2001/2. Some of my favorites being Lady in the Tramp, Cinderella, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Tarzan, & Dinosaur. This along with watching my first movie in theaters being Rugrats in Paris, and also being obsessed with Pokemon during this era, I had some of the cards, I had Pokemon Red and eventually Crystal on my GBC, and I would watch the show almost all the time on Weekdays or Saturdays!

Early 00's: Late 2001-Early 2004

This for me was my core childhood years. Going to elementary school, summer camp, many trips, etc. We had cable in our household now, so I watched kid cable channels rather than saturday morning blocks, although I still occasionally did. My favorite channel when I was a kid was probably Nick, with many 90's/early 00's classics like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Kablam/Action League Now, Kenan & Kel, All That, The Amanda Show, The Brothers Garcia, The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, Spongebob (seasons 1-3), Fairly Odd Parents (pre Poof), Jimmy Neutron, etc. I was also obsessed with Toonami and shows like Dragon Ball/Z,Sailor Moon, Batman Beyond, Ruroni Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, etc. Of course Cartoon Network during the Powerhouse era was epic, along with Toon Disney during the 1998-2001 era when I first discovered the channel and the 2002-early 2004 era when I watched the channel the most and my favorite era of the channel! I remember playing football with my friends at the park and attempting to learn how to ride a skateboard (and failing miserably  ;D). I played on the Little League from when I was age 6 to age 11, with some of my most cherished memories of Little League when I was 7-8 years old. I remember watching 'The Wonderful World of Disney' every Saturday night with my family, it was very fun. Also watching primetime sitcoms like Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, & That 70's Show, when they were on the air with the family as well! I spent most of this era playing my PSONE & GBC until I got a GBA & PS2 in 2003. In early 2004, I turned 8, and around that time I started to notice pop cultural phenomenom more clearly, such as Nipplegate in the Superbowl that year. Looking back, the early 2000's bring nothing but great memories for me!

Mid 2000's: Mid 2004-Mid 2006

This was when I felt like a big kid, but still felt mostly innocent nonetheless. I started going to a new Summer camp this year along with going to certain places like the store by myself. My family moved to NJ in 2005, so it took time for me to adjust out here and to make new friends. But for the most part it was pretty easy for me. In 2004 I went to Georgia & Orlando, Florida. There at Orlando I went on the Shrek ride for the first time and remember being blown away along with going to Nickelodeon Studios for the second and very last time  :\'(
Besides moving, summer of 2005 wasn't anything special but it was still very fun. Summer of 2006, I went to Georgia, North Carolina, Barbados, Antigua, Cape Cod, & Virginia, and in the car I would just sit back and play my GBA and games like the Super Mario Advance Series and Donkey Kong Country ports, Now that was a fun Summer!

Late 2000's: Late 2006-Early 2009

This was my tween/early teen years for the most part. Some of these things I associate with my very late childhood while some others with my youth, but regardless this era was a mix bag. I started to pay attention to news events much more, so I vividly remember the Bush backlash with the Democrats reclaiming congress in 2006, the Iraq Troop Surge, the Gaza Conflict, 2008 SuperBowl when my boys the NY Giants beat the New England Patriots in a very close game, 2008 Beijing Olympics, the Late 2000's Recession, & of course Obamamania. I was also heavily into sports now, with my favorite team being the NY Knicks, and I remember this was the 'peak' of the Kobe Bryant vs Lebron James Debates. I remember kids in my school physically fighting each other because of how gruesome the debates could get sometimes  ;D. I was also a big fan of the Wii and games like Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, & Super Paper Mario! I would also play COD Modern Warfare & COD World at War at friends houses. I made my first social media account, myspace, in late 2008 when I was 12 and got my first cellphone right around when I turned 13, it was a crappy Nokia 'Brick' Phone. That alone shows how far technologically we have come in 6/7 years  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/02/15 at 10:42 am

Mid 90s:(1995-1996)I was born during this time, specifically October of 1995; I was born to Kimberly and Eric Jones. I was named Eric Jones II, nicknamed EB. I was proud African American born in Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis Missouri. My parents have always told me I was a blessing.

Late 90s(late 1996-mid 1998): I was at the peak of my toddler hood during these years. I would cause havoc every single day. My mama and daddy had a handful with me during this time. My grandparents didn't have any issues with me solely because my grand mother didn't play! ;D  I actually watched tv during this time, I just don't really remember it! I watched Jordan win his last titles, my dad would hold me when we would watch the football games and other sporting events. Towards the end of this era I was coming of childhood age.

Millennial period(late 1998-mid 2001): A special time indeed. The early part of my childhood and the first half of my peak childhood was during this time. I remember that around this time, I started to collect VHS tapes on a consistent basis, I remember watching my first set of preschool shows such as Blues Clues, Sesame Street, Arthur, Thomas the tank engine, Teletubbies, Barnie, and Mr Rogers.
I remember my mom reading me bed time stories during this time, I also recall when I started getting mcdonalds and collecting happy meals :D !  Starting preschool was a big deal for the family cause it was a sing that times were now changing. I would meet a lot of my friends would stay with me all the way until high school. I did many sing a longs in he class, build blocks, go outside in the backyard playground, and learn backs things.I got the N64 for my 4th birthday.Now my earliest memories of watching Nick, Kids WB, Disney channel during the Zoog period, Fox Kids were during this time. I recall my St. Louis Rams winning the Super Bowl with its greatest show on turf period. The first two movies I saw in theaters were during this time as well. I recall the last Renaissance movies being released and when the first few dreamworks animated movies were being made. In the latter part of this era in 2000 I turned 5 years old and remember getting some N64 games, the game boy color and rugrats in Paris, and Star Wars Episode 1 for my birthday. My first memories of watching Cartoon Network Was around this time as well, and discovering the toonami block where I watched DBZ, gundam, tenchi muyo, and Zoids. I also begun to follow pro wrestling, WWF and WCW on a consistent basis. I was now scared to go on the Farris wheel because me and my mom kinda got stuck at a carnival. Pre K was similar to preschool. But it was also similar to kindergarten as well. Regardless my peak childhood was now here. Also 4 and 5 are my earliest memories listening to some newly made music. I listened to Will Smith, NSYNC, and even a little destiny's child solely because I heard some of their music at the end of a lot of their movies. ;D

I'll make the early, mid,late 2000s and early& mid 2010s eras when I get to my next class. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/02/15 at 12:49 pm

Early 2000s:(late 2001-2003):It was a good time to be a kid. I still played my N64 and Gameboy advanced. CN/Nickelodeon/Kids WB/Disney/Toon disney/PBS kids, WWF/WWE, Fox kids was still around for a little bit. Those years had the best music(Glam and bling bling Rap,Hard Rock) and video games of the decade. Oh and the adult TV shows at the time too(West Wing,CSI,Law and Order,Friends,That 70s Show,Simpsons) At the end of the school year when I was in kindergarten we did a tribute to america after the tragedy of September 11! Playing with legos were a thing! Watching Disney movies on VHS over the summer were big fro me! Kickball became a hobby of mine! I went to Branson Missouri in 2002! I went to Chicago from 2000-2003 during the summer and still go to this day over the summer! Everybody moved on from PS1 and got PS2's but many like myself still played N64 during the early 2000s! Anyways I moved to Florissant Missouri when I was 8 years old, in late 2003. Getting the PS2 was a dream come true, because it would become my favorite console ever. It was also fun seeing the Rams go back to the superbowl again but we lost to the damn Patriots which started their great run. >:( >:( >:( But seeing the Lakers/Spurs rivalry, MLB was still really good, and the final years Hockey was still relevant.  WWF became WWE, but the product was still good until the mid 2000s. It was cool to start kindergarten and go through 1st and 2nd grade. I LOVED being 6-8 during these years. My birthdays were all AT THEIR PEAK during these years!These were the last days I felt COMPLETELY innocent.

Mid 2000s:(2004-mid 2006):the mid 2000s was the best time for me as an older kid, a damn good economy,I FINALLY got PS2 and XBOX during these years, Cartoon Network was still the bomb. Wrestling was still entertaining during the later half of the ruthless aggression era. Movies however weren't that great and TV was nowhere near as good as before but still good. My personal/kid life was just the best it had ever been. My life started to change when I moved to the suburbs when I was 8 in 03, I was starting to get a bit older during this time! I could now do more outdoor activities. Riding my bike and scooter! Helping my parents and grandparents get the leaves up on the yard! I went tricker treating from 2003-2005! Jetix and teen nick were a thing I'd do! Disney was still good to watch; until 2006 when HSM and Hannah Monatana came. I just loved going out doors and playing football, kickball, tag, basketball, and baseball with my cousins and friends ANY time they came over!! PS2 and XBOX were GREAT! I started to collect DVDs! I joined a little leauge baseball team and played BBall in 3rd and 4th grade!! I wen to summer camp in 2005 and camped in the winter for my boy scout group. I discovered more about life during these years.

Late 2000s:(Late 2006-mid 2008):I enjoyed these years very much. Being 11-12 during these years, my kid years were coming to a close. I played my cousins Wii for the first time when I went over to his house. It was fun. I made even more new friends in 5th and 6th grade. I played baseball and soccer and traveled to district to district, field to field, town to town and had a BLAST! Listened to Soulja Boy's cranck dat, crank and snap rap music, and rock was good. Played Guitar Hero and Rock Band with cousins. I started to get into more mature things during these years. This period ended on a bad note with the death of my grandfather and a slightly better one with the purchase of the XBOX 360 in the summer of 2008.

Very Late 2000s and Very Early 2010s(Late 2008-mid 2011):This was defintley the biggest change in my life. From which the likes of which I haven't seen; I don't think I've EVER seen anything like it since, besides going to college. I entered my teen years officially during this time. Another reason why the shift in 2008 seemed HUGE. I mean WOW! I got Soul Calibur 4, The Force Unleashed, and another game for my 13th birthday! Times in my personal life begun to change as the culture had changed. Kids in my class started to clown, became more cynical, and crazier. Honestly we probably just got tired of each other. It was sad that my grade school years ended on such a bad note. I got the PS3 in 2009 christmas, which caused backlash with my uncle because he was a XBOX fan at the time.The 2000s ended on a bad note in general. When the 2010s started and I started high school, they had to be the worst fudgeing years in ALL of my life. I mean Jesus 2010 and ESPECIALLY 2011 were terrible! Music and TV was good during this time, but my life was horrible. The people in my high school were either arrogant, stuck up assholes or they were ghetto. I didn't have that many friends too. Politics and egotism were major at that place. I also got the freshman 15 while in high school actually! ;D I got pretty big, but that was because of a bunch of factors. Most of the girls were beautiful, but some of them were some big ol girls! ;D  Being a horny young teen I kind of enjoyed it! ;) ;D Overall being 13-15 during this time was odd and I LOST MY INNOCENCE COMPLETELY during this time.

Early 2010s:(Late 2011-2013):Kind of a transitional time, I turned 16 started to learn how to drive the got my license and wasn't driving full time until I was 17 1/2. I entered my latter teens years during this point. I really matured as a person during these years. There was less drama in high school. I still feels like yesterday to me. I got back into shape, I started playing tennis and even a little soccer for my high school during these years. I had fun. Watching TWD, Game of thrones, Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theroy, Sons of Anarchy, and later Arrow & Parenthood. I ended this time pride by turning 18, then getting the PS4 for Christmas; the first time I got a console during the launch year.  8)

Mid 2010s:(2014-present):Welp, I graduated from high school, had an after party. Sadly my Aunt passed away in the summer of the same year; right when I was at a summer program getting me ready for college. It was a interesting and magnificent life experience for me.I lost a lot of interest in gaming during these years. Gaming is in the sheeshs in my opinion and it's a shame. I entered my 20s this year and so far has been another life experience.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/02/15 at 1:57 pm

Early 90s

I can actually remember having my you know what changed by my dad and looked at by my sister. The last accident I remember was when it happened as I used a public store bathroom. I remember hearing G Thing by Dr featuring Snoop, sitting on the porch in front the house we used to live in. My mom threw a party at the same house. Me and my brother used to come up with these imaginary monsters called the Blue and Gett that would try to get us. It was most likely 1993. The year I first seen The Fresh Prince with my mom.

Middle 90s- 1994

At the time, my memories first developed. I graduated kindergarten this year. I was slightly obsessed with RTA bus coloring pages in class. I remember watching the intro of Animaniacs, but I don't remember watching the actual episode haha At one point, me and other people my age trespassed on to a school bus that was surprisingly opened during night time. As soon as one person mentioned a known scary movie villain, we instantly exited off the bus haha Its a good thing the campus gate was opened. We lived just across the street from a high school. I'm from and live in New Orleans, so I was scared of the parade floats. TLC and Brandy released the theme songs of that year to me.

I'm not sure. I think this is the year I met my first major friend. His mom stated we met in the previous year, but I really don't remember us meeting before I went to summer camp, which I'm positive was in 1995. I had my first crush this year, but it was really the other way around. She kept hitting me. Especially during lunch. I didn't understand at the time, but I still enjoyed it. We played tag with tall autistic dudes during recess. We were really active when it came to Chuck E Cheese through our older brother and his partner. Plus house party I think was mainly for people our age at the time. As it ended, we wanted to leave with the other kids, but didn't realize they weren't on a ride. That's all I strangely remember from that year. Its as if I was exclusively in summer camp. 1995 is majority a mystery to me.

I started chasing cats this year. I have my regrets. Things started to get physical. I was also obsessed with electric train sets. I played the PlayStation for the first time. We used to visit our cousins at the time. The area they lived in was mysterious and historic. One them song a neighbor had playing loud made the area pretty scary. Halloween and Christmas that year was fantastic. I didn't even noticed holidays before then. Our earliest aunt took us trick or treating and was barely home due to her great jobs. One of our cousins is autistic so admit to taking the best flavors of his share Haha Hey, candy is bad for you. Christmas then was really there and magical. We got awesome toy construction trucks, but our cousin got the Nintendo 64 that blew me away. I was so obsessed with that console. It even cured my obsession with train sets. This was the year I fully became aware of rap. My aunt would sit in her music room and bump to Notorious B.I.G, which mainly had radio play. Martin and Living Single, basically WB was the only channel my aunt had. Very nostalgic.

The year I became a hardcore Tiny Toons fan out the blue. Me and my brother used to build cars out of pillows haha Our mom bought us this toy like piano that you can customize music with and set to auto. I wish I never broked it. We would set it to auto as we build pillow cars. Our older brother accidentally broke one as he sat into it. That was the last time build pillow cars. We started imitating our hands out of real characters. Usher, Jon B, Next and Notorious B.I.G really added to the feel of that year.

This is where my imagination really kicked in as I was constantly exposed to Toonami. I was seriously obsessed with Pokémon at the time. I even made times bad for the people I was with. I was supposed to learn how to tie my shoes that year as my brother was beating me to it. We met and wandered with other kids our age around our sister's house she recently bought.

My curiosity of the opposite gender really came into play haha It really kicked in as we played Hide N Seek. I think this was the year I became obsessed with bugs. I really got what came to me that year. We first got our own N64, but it was used. So, I was a bit disappointed.

I had my first crush this year and this time it wasn't the other way around. I remember coming on to her too fast. Plus, I wasn't the cleanest dude in school. We both even had a anticipated game of that year, Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon. She was cool. I last seen her in 2005. I consider her my original crush now. Capcom Vs SNK 2000's soundtrack was the theme song of that year to me with Thong Song.

I was a bit obsessed with Ashanti haha I also lost interest in collecting bugs that year. As we lacked games for our N64, we eventually visited our cousin and honestly took his golden N64 games collection as he moved on to the PlayStation. It had to be done as we were semi poor. Plus, we knew our cousin started to care less for his N64.

My childhood imagination was in full swing. I became obsessed with Dragon Ball Z action figures, DBZ magazines and Smash Melee as much as I lacked bravery. My Yu-Gi-Oh card obsession was developing.

I My Yu-Gi-Oh card obsession was in full swing. I became more interested in the opposite gender and lost interest in Pokémon cards, but I wasn't exactly normal, so I turned off majority of the opposite gender. I didn't notice as girls I liked were still fun too harass. I think this was at the time I came into a final disagreement with my first major friend. Very story telling haha True Crime Streets of LA was my new favorite game. Even though I was slightly scared to play it.

This was the year I experienced being flirted with for the first time. Very memorable moments haha I was addicted to Pokémon Silver during the summer.

By that time, I adapted to a mindless person. I became basically a mute and nervous around the opposite gender even though I originally wasn't. I was just gone. Still was a great time though.

The year I changed for the better personal hygiene wise. I became actually wanted by the opposite gender while still being too mindless to realize. My drawing talent progressed, but was slowly losing interest as I became addicted to my first love interest. I had a critical depression that year.

Afterwards, I became exposed to the internet and been ever since. My personal life improved in school though. School was the only time I could really have fun and where I met my last major friends.

I probably didn't exactly responded to your topic haha I see personal life and memories as the same.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/15 at 2:00 pm

This is too interesting. Karma.

It also depends on a person's advantages. If they don't have enough money, they're not going to have cable, and their view of pop culture will be different.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 12/02/15 at 2:58 pm

I don't feel like writing a long commentary but here's the gist of my personal life:

I was born!

1994-1996
My earliest memories, mostly of family events (e.g. people's birthdays, grandparents retiring) and preschool.

1996-2000
The start of proper school in September 1996. I had become more aware of the culture of music, films and toys. The peak of my childhood. Clear memories of events such as Diana's death, a new family car and the turn of the millennium. I used the internet for the first time. The end of first school (age 5-8) and the beginning of middle school (age 8-12).

2001-2004
I started buying music for the first time in 2001, which was also the year I had my first crush. I went on a plane for the first time in 2002. I used a digital camera for the first time in 2003. I got my first mobile phone in 2004. The end of middle school and beginning of high school in September 2004. Puberty!

2004-2008
High school - making new friends but starting to drift apart from some of them by the end of school. I had my second crush in 2005. In 2007 I used social media for the first time, and I also (finally) began downloading music and using an MP3 player.

2008-2010
As well as being a significant era in pop culture, late 2008 was also a big change in my personal life as I began studying at college.

2010-2011
I was unemployed for 9 months after finishing my studies, but I did voluntary work for most of this time. My first job in 2011 was a part-time admin job.

June 2011-present
Working full-time in a laboratory. I have been on family holidays 3 times after a gap of 7 years between 2005 and 2012.

Written By: af2010 on 12/02/15 at 7:17 pm

Not gonna go into too much detail. It seems like each 'decade era' pretty much lines up with my life:

Late 80s: baby/toddler years
Born in '87. No memory of this era.

Early 90s: early childhood
Earliest memories. Mostly stuff like birthdays and family gatherings. Pretty vague now.

Mid 90s: core childhood (early)
Spent most of my time either outside with other neighborhood kids or inside watching Nick and playing Sega.

Late 90s: core childhood (late)
Started to develop my own tastes. Got my first CD player. Upgraded to a PS1.

Early 00s: early teens
Awkward stage (puberty, etc.). Was into skateboarding. Had my first girlfriend.

Mid 00s: late teens
Finished high school/started college. Had a lot of fun but did some pretty stupid stuff looking back.

Late 00s: early 20s
Started maturing and taking life a little more seriously. Began to lose interest in current pop culture and focus more on what I grew up with (which I guess is what draws me here).

Early 10s: mid 20s
Started my current job. Was in a pretty serious relationship but things didn't work out.

Mid 10s: late 20s
Not too different from my mid 20s; just a little bit wiser. Starting to actually feel like a real adult.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/02/15 at 7:55 pm

Not gonna go into too much detail. It seems like each 'decade era' pretty much lines up with my life:

Late 80s: baby/toddler years
Born in '87. No memory of this era.

Early 90s: early childhood
Earliest memories. Mostly stuff like birthdays and family gatherings. Pretty vague now.

Mid 90s: core childhood (early)
Spent most of my time either outside with other neighborhood kids or inside watching Nick and playing Sega.

Late 90s: core childhood (late)
Started to develop my own tastes. Got my first CD player. Upgraded to a PS1.

Hey, what part of 1987 were you born in?

Written By: mqg96 on 12/02/15 at 9:04 pm

Mid 90's: 1996
This was when I was born, and I was in my mom's womb for sometime too! :)

Late 90's: 1998-mid 2001 (Early Childhood)
I remember some of the old houses my grandparents and cousins used to live in. The old cars my parents owned. I started preschool in late 1999 and I attended pre-k in the same building during the 2000-2001 school year. Who Let's the Dogs Out was a big hit that came out in Summer 2000, and it's the earliest music I can remember brand new, I was 4 dancing to that music like crazy! I remember spending the night with my cousins in Mississippi in Spring 2001 as well.

Early 2000's: late 2001-mid 2004 (Core Childhood Part 1)
Oh yes, I started Kindergarten this year, a few months before then I discovered Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon for the first time. Watched season 6 of Arthur throughout the school year. I made a lot of new friends and started interacting with the real world much more. 2002 was the first full year my childhood really peaked. I remember being sick from Kindergarten for 2 weeks, the 1st week I was out sick the whole time and the 2nd week it was Spring Break when I went to Sarasota, FL with a trip to the Hampton Inn hotel and my first beach trip ever my whole life, and then I played Putt-Putt golf. After I finished Kindergarten it kicked off one of the best summers of my life. I went to my Aunt's wedding, took swimming lessons, and went to Six Flags a couple of times. I discovered Toon Disney around the Summer as well. Later this year I started 1st grade, and I participated in flag football at the time. I remember watching a lot of movies in 2002 & 2003, building a lot of lego toys, collecting hot wheel cars including getting on the website, and going to a lot of UGA games and Falcons games. That would continue throughout 2003 and I got a Gamecube and Super Smash Bros. Melee for my 7th birthday, and after I finished 1st grade I got a Gameboy Advance SP. Didn't do that much in Summer 2003 but boy scouts, playing with toys, and watching A LOT of TV. Fall 2003 came and I started 2nd grade, which is when I started gaining a lot more friends. Summer 2004 came and I had another great summer, this time a trip to Jamaica, my first plane ride ever and the only time I ever went out of the country my whole life. Then I went to Sarasota, FL again for the 2nd time.

Mid 2000's: late 2004-mid 2006 (Core Childhood Part 2)
Started 3rd grade this year, and I had the nicest teacher throughout my whole elementary school tenure, and switched playgrounds too for the 3rd-5th grade side of the school. 3rd grade was still in those easy grade school years like Kindergarten-2nd grade, not that much work yet and it was still laid back. Learned how to write cursive too. In Christmas 2004 I got an XBOX with a lot of games like Crash Wrath of Cortex and GTA III. 2005 comes and I remember a lot in my personal life going on this year, like going to a lot of football games and basketball games again like 2002, going to the mall a lot with my cousins, and going to the YMCA to swim again. I started Karate (Martial Arts America) during this summer, which thought you a lot of life lessons at the same time in the kid class, not just fighting each other and learning the forms. Didn't do as much during this summer like 2004, but wait 'til we get to 2006. This is when things get real interesting. I made it to green belt in Karate which made me enter the intermediate belt class. I always say that Summer 2006 was the absolute peak of my childhood in terms of my personal life and vacations I went to. It started with YMCA camp for about a week or two, then I went to Savannah, GA for the first time, and it was epic except for the Paper Mill smell lol, then I went to Disney World for the first time ever, it was a surprise trip by our parents and we stayed for a whole week in a large Double Tree hotel. Went to all the parks each day, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, and Epcot Theme Park. Then later throughout the summer I went to my first family reunion ever on my dad's side of the family, then I went to the Georgia Aquarium for the first time ever too. Oh, and I almost forgot, right before Summer 2006 kicked off, I got a Nintendo DS and Mario Kart DS, and that's the first time I started online gaming, then got New Super Mario Bros. right before summer ended.

Late 2000's: late 2006-2008 (Late Childhood)
I call this period my late childhood for a reason, and technically I was still in my core childhood in 5th grade for a little bit, but most of the time it was post-elementary school when my interests started changing and I was growing out of kiddy stuff. 5th grade was very difficult for me, the teachers started making us switch classes for the first time to prepare us for middle school, recess was reduced to 10-15 minutes, and they gave you lots of workloads and homework. Some of my favorite kid channels started declining around this time as I began to lose interest. Most of 5th grade was difficult for me, but after the grade was over it payed off. Throughout 2007 I went to the most trips ever in one whole year, it was a record, and it was due to my dad's job interviews going on. I went to Nashville, TN, Savannah, GA (again), Huntsville, AL, Washington DC, etc. The Washington DC trip is the one I remember the most, because that was when my aunt's graduation occurred and I remember my family taking a lot of pictures touring places. 2007 was a huge improvement year for movies of the decade compared to 2006 and even 2005 for some too. 2007 was the last year of the core 2000's, and it's the last full year that feels dated to me. I remember getting some more DS games this year, I got a DS Lite in Christmas 2006 actually, and then I got a Wii in Christmas 2007. I started middle school in 2007 and that was a HUGE TRANSITION I tell you! Lastly, 2007 was the first full year I was truly into the pop culture of music, and keeping up with celebrities and what was going on the news regularly. Some of my favorite music from 2007 includes Crank That- Soulja Boy, Umbrella- Rihanna, and We Takin' Over- DJ Khaled. Those songs were epic for me, but Girlfriend- Avril Lavigne was HORRIBLE!!! Now let's get to 2008, now while I believe early 2010's culture started coming in by the late part of this year and still consider this year as modern to me, for most of the part 2008 was still late 2000's culture, which is why I put it under this section. However, 2008 was a very transitional year for me personally and culturally. A lot of things changed this year. For my 12th birthday I got Super Mario Galaxy, my favorite Mario game of all time. Later on I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii which was my least favorite of the series. I remember this summer being the most boring of my life, having to fix up and renovate the house and staying home all day. It was a lot of work, but in the long run my new sister was born and I started 7th grade this year. I remember all the craziness going on about Barack Obama and then the Summer Olympics which was fun at the time. Last but not least, in November 2008, I finally made it to black belt in Karate, but it was tough, you had to pass 3 pretests before taking the real final black belt test, and lots of drills and mile runs were required as well!

Early 2010's: 2009-2012 (Early Adolescence)
2009 was like a bittersweet year, a lot of great movies came out this year that I enjoyed, but at the time same, a lot of deaths to well known stars that happened too. I started doing track in middle school, and I was a long distance runner, not a sprinter, which motivated me to do more distance since I eventually improved. This summer was a huge improvement for me from 2008, going to St. Simons Island was really fun, and I went to this party with one of my cousins who was moving out of state, and she had a house with a LARGE front yard, backyard, and roundabout. So the party was so large tons of neighbors who visited. I remember having a crush on one of the neighbors daughters and I had a great time with her, we were both the same age going to 8th grade at the time, sadly, I never got to see them again. It was only a one time experience, but it's an experience I won't forget. Later in 2009 I started 8th grade, which was my least favorite grade of middle school, having to pass all these writing tests and CRCT's in order to move on to high school. It was a lot of pressure, and the workload was so difficult I can't even explain it. I got through 2009 eventually, and 2010 hit, and boy as soon as we got to this year, it was a great year pop culturally that would take off. For my personal life 2010 did have a lot of issues for me, but for the pop culture of movies and music it was an epic year. Some of my favorite music from 2010 includes All The Way Turnt Up- Roscoe Dash, All I Do Is Win- DJ Khaled, Black & Yellow- Wiz Khalifa, Not Afraid & Love the Way You Lie- Eminem, I'm Back- T.I., Fireworks- Katy Perry, and Ridin' Solo- Jason Derulo. I eventually started high school and 1st semester of freshman year was one of my favorite semesters of high school ever. I started running Cross Country this year for the first time. 5k races were pretty fun and getting excited to know how the next course was going to be, whether it was going to be an easy flat course or a hard hilly course. I remember how epic it was for the first time experiencing high school pep rallies watching all the Indians (school mascot) at my school performing cartwheels and flips, and doing tons of stunts to prepare for the games. 2nd semester of freshman year wasn't as good, I actually didn't like it that much at all, especially that terrible art class, but once I finished it, it payed off big time. Summer 2011 was one of the best summers of my life, probably tied with 2006, I went to Ohio to see my cousins, and then I went to New York City for the first time ever, learned about all the crazy subways, visited so many sites like the Rockefeller Center, Nintendo World Store, and restaurants like Katz Delicatessen. I eventually would go through my sophomore year of high school and while a lot of people believe this year of high school is their worse, for me it was one my favorites, since my Cross Country & Track times improved drastically this year compared to freshman year, which I had a lot of shin splints from having the wrong shoes before. I changed to Asics shoes my sophomore year which helped my shins better. 2012 would come, which was one of my favorite years for movies, which included Avengers, Ted, and 21 Jump Street. This was the year I started going to the gym a lot to put on some muscle on me, the place is called Atlanta Fitness and I loved it! Later throughout the year I started junior year, which was my least favorite year of high school, and the toughest as well. However, my UGA Bulldogs and Atlanta Falcons had great seasons at the time, the college football team finished 12-2, while the NFL team finished 13-3, however, we all lost heartbreaker's in the SEC Championship and NFC Championship games, coming up a few yards short :\'( and we would've had a chance to get the national title or super bowl had we had more time on the clock.

Mid 2010's: 2013-present (Late Adolescence)
It started off terribly, but finished very peacefully. That 2nd semester of junior year was just forgettable, with American Lit class being the only good part about it. Later in 2013 senior year would begin, and it was great, really good years for Cross Country and Track. I felt like 2013 for movies was an extension from 2012 in terms of how good they were, and probably my favorite year for movies of the decade so far. Pacific Rim, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Gravity, Frozen, This Is The End, Man of Steel, Thor Dark World, Hunger Games, and Catching Fire were awesome for me personally! The shift in music that changed this year was very controversial, but I did like some music from this year, like Suit & Tie- Justin Timberlake and Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP 2 album. Then 2014 was a special year for me because I got my first job ever, and I graduated high school, this is when my personal life started getting real good, since I have a lot of freedom now, and I'm still alive today on here in 2015! About to turn 20 in 2 months, I can't believe it's approaching fast! :-X

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/02/15 at 10:14 pm

Here's an updated post:

Mid 90's - Born

I was born during this period, March of 1996 to be exact, so I personally do not remember anything. However, during the time and period I was born the song 'One Sweet Day' by Mariah Carey was the most popular song on the Billboard charts. In other areas, Im pretty sure Gangsta Rap such as Tupac, Coolio, & Biggie Smalls were in their prime, Grunge like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam were popular as well. Movies like Happy Gilmore just released into theatres and it was around when Toy Story came onto VHS. In the realm of gaming, Super Nintendo was the most popular console at the time along with the game Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, with the Playstation starting to catch steam, especially with the release of Resident Evil several days after I was born. In fact I'm pretty sure I was born during the 4th to 5th gaming generation transition.

Late 90's: 1997-Mid 2001 - Early Childhood

Now this was for the most part my toddler and early childhood years, although a slice of my core childhood occurred in this era as I started to have vivid memories around when I was 5. Regardless I remember starting to do kiddy like things like going to the park and playing on the jungle gyms or the swings, learning to ride a bike, watching cartoons aimed at both pre school and school age audiences my favorites being Pokemon, Animaniacs, Histeria, Men in Black, & Batman Beyond on Kids WB, Doug, Recess, Buzz Lightyear Star Command, & Teacher's Pet on OSM, & I would occasionally watch Digimon and was a big fan of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, Power Rangers Light Speed Rescue, Power Rangers Time Force, & Power Rangers Wild Force all on FOX Kids! I also started gaming during this period with playing classics like the SNES, N64, Dreamcast and much more when I was 4. I got a Gameboy color in Christmas of 2000 and Playstation 1 on my 5th birthday. I saw my first movie in 1999, which was Titanic with my family and I remember watching many VHS Disney movies throughout 1999-2001/2. Some of my favorites being Lady in the Tramp, Cinderella, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Tarzan, & Dinosaur. This along with watching my first movie in theaters being Rugrats in Paris, and also being obsessed with Pokemon during this era, I had some of the cards, I had Pokemon Red and eventually Crystal on my GBC, and I would watch the show almost all the time on Weekdays or Saturdays! While only a small slice of my childhood occurs during this era, I do have many fond memories from it and it remains very dear to my heart.

Early 00's: Late 2001-Early 2004 - Core Childhood Part I

This for me was my core childhood years. Going to elementary school, summer camp, many trips, etc. We had cable in our household now, so I watched kid cable channels rather than saturday morning blocks, although I still occasionally did. My favorite channel when I was a kid was probably Nick, with many 90's/early 00's classics like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Kablam/Action League Now, Kenan & Kel, All That, The Amanda Show, The Brothers Garcia, The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, Spongebob (seasons 1-3), Fairly Odd Parents (pre Poof), Jimmy Neutron, etc. I was also obsessed with Toonami and shows like Dragon Ball/Z,Sailor Moon, Batman Beyond, Ruroni Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, etc. Of course Cartoon Network during the Powerhouse era was epic, along with Toon Disney during the 1998-2001 era when I first discovered the channel and the 2002-early 2004 era when I watched the channel the most and my favorite era of the channel! I remember playing football with my friends at the park and attempting to learn how to ride a skateboard (and failing miserably  ;D). I played on the Little League from when I was age 6 to age 11, with some of my most cherished memories of Little League when I was 7-8 years old. I remember watching 'The Wonderful World of Disney' every Saturday night with my family, it was very fun. Also watching primetime sitcoms like Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, & That 70's Show, when they were on the air with the family as well! I also watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, 7th Heaven, Angel, Smallville & One Tree Hill on The WB! I spent most of this era playing my PSONE & GBC until I got a GBA & PS2 in 2003. In early 2004, I turned 8, and around that time I started to notice pop cultural phenomenom more clearly, such as Nipplegate in the Superbowl that year. Looking back, the early 2000's bring nothing but great memories for me!

Mid 2000's: Mid 2004-Mid 2006 Core Childhood Part II

This was when I felt like a big kid, but still felt mostly innocent nonetheless. I started going to a new Summer camp this year along with going to certain places like the store by myself. My family moved to NJ in 2005, so it took time for me to adjust out here and to make new friends. But for the most part it was pretty easy for me. In 2004 I went to Georgia & Orlando, Florida. There at Orlando I went on the Shrek ride for the first time and remember being blown away along with going to Nickelodeon Studios for the second and very last time  :\'(
Besides moving, summer of 2005 wasn't anything special but it was still very fun. Summer of 2006, I went to Georgia, North Carolina, Barbados, Antigua, Cape Cod, & Virginia, and in the car I would just sit back and play my GBA and games like the Super Mario Advance Series and Donkey Kong Country ports, Now that was a fun Summer!

Late 2000's: Late 2006-Early 2009 Late Childhood/Young Teens

This was my tween/early teen years for the most part. Some of these things I associate with my very late childhood while some others with my youth, but regardless this era was a mix bag. I started to pay attention to news events much more, so I vividly remember the Bush backlash with the Democrats reclaiming congress in 2006, the Iraq Troop Surge, the Gaza Conflict, 2008 SuperBowl when my boys the NY Giants beat the New England Patriots in a very close game, 2008 Beijing Olympics, the Late 2000's Recession, & of course Obamamania. I was also heavily into sports now, with my favorite team being the NY Knicks, and I remember this was the 'peak' of the Kobe Bryant vs Lebron James Debates. I remember kids in my school physically fighting each other because of how gruesome the debates could get sometimes  ;D. I was also a big fan of the Wii and games like Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, & Super Paper Mario! I would also play COD Modern Warfare & COD World at War at friends houses. I made my first social media account, myspace, in late 2008 when I was 12 and got my first cellphone right around when I turned 13, it was a crappy Nokia 'Brick' Phone. That alone shows how far technologically we have come in 6/7 years  :o

Early 2010's: Mid 2009-Early 2013 - Core Teen Years

This was the peak of my teen years! For the good and well the bad...
But all in all it was my least favorite part of my life, but looking back it wasn't as bad as I remembered it I guess. I remember being into rap music during these years most specifically Lil Wayne, Drake, Eminem, Flo Rida, Ja Rule & Tech N9NE. I am not ashamed to admit it but Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, & even Kesha were guilty pleasures of mine back in those days. However I vividly remember being heavily into dance music during those days, especially with the success of the shows Jersey Shore and being from Jersey myself I tried to be a 'Guido' during my Freshman and Sophomore years of high school, and outright failed  ;D. On the bright side I was heavily into sports during this period playing Freshman Football and being on the track team from Freshman-Junior year of High School, and I was involved in a few clubs such as Theatre crew & while not an official member did take a few Band classes in high school and thus was pretty close with many people on the Band club. I was heavily into gaming during this era with the PS3, which I got in 2009, and the Xbox 360, which I got in 2011. While I still played the Wii for exclusives like Skyward Sword & Xenoblade Chronicles, my absolute peak for the Wii was pretty much over. 2012 was a pretty memorable year, getting my first job at Six Flags Great Adventure, and then my second at an ice cream shop at the jersey shore, going to Cape Cod, & Lake George in NY were all very memorable. I also remember going to Disney World for Christmas of 2012, now that was pretty epic!

Mid 2010's: Mid 2013-Present - Late Teens/Young Adult Years

I would say this era for my personal life has been one of my best (with the minor exception of this year, although I did have fun talking to a lot of you guys so thats a plus!) however pop culturally not one of my favorites. I like a lot of music now, but also hate a lot of it as well. There seems to be a new teen pop bubble that we've entered which seems to be entering its peak. I liked 2013, only because It was a nice smooth transitional year from the Lady Gaga Era Electropop Music to the Modern Teen Pop/EDM Music, for instance songs like Get Lucky and Suit & Tie just give me a cool vibe, but then of course crap like Wrecking Ball & Harlem Shake screwed with my ears. 2014 managed to continue to be pretty good with songs like Stay With Me and Rude, but it was when the current teen pop era was very noticeable with songs like Bang Bang and Fancy. Now in 2015, most songs are very EDMish, personally I don't mind the genre, but it seems like many pop artists are abusing it and making lukewarm music. There are some exceptions though, I think Sorry by Justin Bieber is actually pretty decent, but nonetheless for the most part its a new craze which I'm not huge over. Besides a few good hits from The Weeknd, Adele, & quite suprisngly Justin Bieber, 2015 has been a pretty bland year for music, in the sense that I don't relate to it that much, but I'm pretty sure the average 15 year old probably thinks this is the best year ever for music ;D. Besides that the mid 10's have been pretty good in other pop cultural forms. Gaming has been ok, altough I do agree with a few guys on this forum that gaming at the moment is not a high point with lukewarm, cinematic like games. Although having a PS4 some of my favorite exclusives so far are Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886(despite mixed reviews), Bloodborne, & Until Dawn and I'm looking forward for The Last Guardian (provided it doesn't get delayed again), Uncharted 4, & Horizon Zero Dawn which are all supposed to drop next year.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/03/15 at 12:25 am

Mid 90s: 1992-early 1998

These were my prime kid years when.  I was pretty happy through most of these years, except for in 1995 when I was bullied pretty harshly in elementary school that year.  I moved in 1996 and went to a new school and things got much better.  I was into normal kid stuff like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, and whatever else was coming on Fox Kids.  I was also very into PC gaming at this point and learned my way around DOS and later Windows 95.  Games such as Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake were my thing.  As for music, I mostly listened to my own stuff during this era, though I did start listening to the radio some.  I really liked euro-dance and first-wave post-grunge.  Overall, this is an era I am very nostalgic for.

Late 90s: mid-1998-1999

These were the years when I really felt like I was transitioning from a child to an adolescent.  I was still happy but wasn't quite as happy as my childhood years.  Slowly but surely I found myself liking less and less kid culture.  I stopped watching Power Rangers during Turbo.  I watched Dragonball Z early on but didn't watch it for very long.  By the time Pokemon became popular, I felt I was kind of too old for it.  I was very into N64 though and games like Goldeneye 007 and Ocarina of Time.  I moved away from PC gaming since my computer at the time was too old for most of the games that were coming out.  The exception was Age of Empires, which brings back a lot of good memories.  This is also the era when I started to take more of an interest in popular music.  Fashion wise, I wore JNCOs, XXXL t-shirts, and grew my hair out.  These were also the last years I had friends until the late 2000s.

Early 00s: 2000-2003

A dark time in my life.  In late middle and high school I was bullied and didn't have any friends.  I was very into music at this time though and spent a lot of time listening to the radio.  Hip-hop and R&B was my genre of choice and Eminem was my favorite rapper.  In 2000, I changed my wardrobe to more preppy clothes and cut my hair and went for a clean cut look.  Overall this isn't an era I look back on fondly, despite the fact there is so much early 2000s nostalgia starting to come out.  The exception was 2003, which was a decent year.  I started college classes in the afternoon after high school and got my first job.  2003 was also the year I got back into PC gaming because I could finally afford a new PC.  My sister had a PS2 but I didn't really care for the kind of games she had.  They didn't have the same draw as the earlier N64 games that I loved.

Mid 00s: 2004-2007

These were my college years and also one of the worst times of my life.  It started with my first heartbreak in 2004.  Then, my best friend from my senior year turned against me and it ended with him giving death threats and my dad calling the police.  Unlike the early '00s, I can't think of any time during these years that I would like to relive if given the opportunity.  I made the mistake of going to a college near where I lived and lived at home.  My parents wouldn't support me taking out a loan to live on campus.  This meant being in college with all of the rules and restrictions of being a teenager. Except it was worse...it was really like being in prison.  I had no friends in real life.  These were my peak PC gaming years.  Most of my life outside of school was online in the games that I played.  I spent way too much money upgrading my PC.  Musically, I bounced back between hip-hop that was popular on the radio and techno/trance.

Late '00s: 2008-2009

The best years of my life.  I constantly look back on these years with fondness and nostalgia, wishing I could somehow relive the magic and excitement of these years.  I finally moved out of my parents place in 2008.  I then really began to find myself and learn who I was.  I began to have friends in the real world for the first time in a decade.  I began to learn responsibility.  I made numerous huge mistakes during these years but that was all part of learning life.  I wasn't prepared when I moved out so I had to fall down a few times to learn how to pick myself back up.  At the time, it wasn't fun, but looking back I wouldn't change a thing.  Musically this era had the best music.  In 2008, I was mostly into hip-hop and scene rock.  In 2009, I was big into electropop primarily and also hip-hop.  The hip-hop from this era had a sound that I miss that it hasn't had before or after.  There was a dark cloud over this era though with the economy and the recession.  I landed a great job out of college but got laid off. I landed another job pretty quickly that I made a mistake and was fired from.  By the end of 2009 I was in a dead-end job not using my degree (this would later be my undoing) but at the time, I didn't care because I was having a blast with my friends, partying and enjoying life.

Early 2010s: 2010-2012

This is probably the second best era of my life.  In late 2009, I moved across the country away from my parents to a large city I enjoyed living in.  During this era, I started to become more mature and cautious about decisions I was making.  I learned from my big mistakes during the late '00s.  Musically it wasn't quite as good as the late '00s but it was still awesome.  I also took a renewed interest in PC gaming during these years and there were some great titles that were released.  Towards the end of this era, my dead-end job starting to weigh on me and knocked me into a depression.  My relationship with my parents had also become tense.  Unfortunately, it lead me to quit my job and move back to my hometown, something I never should have done.

Mid 2010s: 2013-2015

I call this era of my life "the long depression."  It's been a tough, agonizing three years.  Since moving back to my hometown, I have a great job using my career but little life outside of that.  The music, which has shifted from electropop to teen pop and disco revival isn't enjoyable anymore.  Unfortunately, I have turned to booze and have developed a bit of a drinking problem.  I also got myself into some major debt which prevents me from making any big changes in my life until the year 2020, so I have a long time to wait.  I have a few friends but very few close friends and spend most nights drinking alone online.  My helecopter parents won't give me any room or privacy to be myself.  When 2020 gets here, I am out of this town.  I guess this is the hangover that follows the party, that for me was the late '00s and the early '10s.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/03/15 at 12:34 am

Let's see.

1986-1989: I was born two weeks early on May 8, 1986. (I was expected on June 2nd) My mother actually thought I was going to be special needs because she told me time and again all my life that I NEVER once moved in the womb. Like other mothers would talk about the baby kicking. (I'm lazy lol ) I missed the best decade for being too young and the only thing I remember about it is seeing Michael Jackson's "Leave Me Alone" and being scared of the dogs in it and starting to read at age 3.
1990-1995: I started school in the fall of 90 at age 4, in Pre-Kindergarten. Before the semester was over I had read all of the required books for the YEAR. I was a staunchly Nickelodeon kid. The bulk of these years were the pre-MJ years. I liked MC Hammer and my mom claimed I liked New Kids on the Block. I joined the children's choir at church at 5, Campfire Girls  and also participated in my first beauty pageant, which I placed third in. At eight I joined the school choir. I like all the regular RB  singers, Brandy, Ginuwine, TLC, Will Smith. In the summer of 1995, I discovered the King of Pop, Michael Jackson and my world changed.
1996-1999: I entered middle school and that was the darkest time of my life, that's all I have to say about that. In 1998, I became aware of 3T, but didn't join the crazy train till later. I was into pop and boy bands then. Around 1998 my mom first started getting sick and I started to be a nurse.
2000-2004: In the fall, I started high school and met people I'm still friends wit to this day. Mom got sicker and sicker and eventually left work in early 2002, losing her first leg in Nov of 2002 and the other in May of 2004 shortly after I graduated. I spent a great deal of time taking care of my mother, watching Michael Jackson and just trying to bear it all. I missed alot of things. I live about 5 blocks from the football stadium and have never been to a game but could always hear the cheers and halftime shows.
9/11 happened and I remember how close I came to losing my own life in that attack. If my mom hadn't said NO when I asked to see Michael Jackson, the tickets were only 800 dollars, we might have been on one of the hijacked flights, so I'm glad she said NO.
2005-2010: Michael had his trial and was vindicated and I found out what an anxiety attack was, while the verdict was handed down and I was in the fetal position in tears.  ::) There was hurricane Rita which I rode out in the backseat of my dad's Oldsmobile in the parking lot of a gas station in Lufkin Texas. We were stranded int he car for 3 days, me and my parents and got by on one gallon jug of hot water and a hunk of Spam. I'll never eat spam again. In 2005 I got heavy into 3T. Love 3T. And started writing what has evolved into my eroticas now. They've greatly improved. In 2006, I met my now ex-boyfriend and he introduced me to Prince. He was as into Prince as I am into MJ. In 2008 my mother became very ill and early in the morning on April 30, she went to Heaven. IT was the only time in my entire life I saw my father cry. In late 2008 I became very sick with what I eventually found out was kidney failire and requiring dialysis and a transplant. I was supposed to have died in April of 2009 because I was so ill, was actually refusing treatment and had made my peace with God. I only started dialysis because Michael Jackson annouced his This is It tour and my father promised to take me to see him. Michael lived just long enough for me to get started on dialysis. Two months after the announcement he was gone. I saved four fellow fans from suicide and I've spent the last 6 years trying to be as good a fan as I can to him. He saved my life. Oh yeah, and I saw history when the first Black president was elected.
2010-present. Dion and I eventually broke up and he moved to Minnesota to be closer to Prince. Nothing much of note happened. In January of this year, my father, who'd had Parkinson's for over ten years began to deteriorate. And on March 26, he joined my mom in Heaven on a cool afternoon. And now for the first time in my life I'm figuring who Tiffeny is, other than a nurse and other than a Jacksons fan. I am single and looking and after many months of mourning, I think I'm in a good place. All I want now is a relationship with a nice man (built like Thickums) to write and publish my book, and to see 3T if they tour the US. That's about it. And if I can go to the movies or something once a month, I'm happy. IT doesn't take alot to make me happy.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/03/15 at 1:10 am

Okay a little more personal update! ;D
Infancy(1995-1996): I was born during this time, specifically October of 1995; I was born to Kimberly and Eric Jones. I was named Eric Jones II, nicknamed EB. I was proud African American born in Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis Missouri. My parents have always told me I was a blessing.

Toddlerhood(late 1996-mid 1998): I was at the peak of my toddler hood during these years. I would cause havoc every single day. My mama and daddy had a handful with me during this time. My grandparents didn't have any issues with me solely because my grand mother didn't play! ;D  I actually watched tv during this time, I just don't really remember it! I watched Jordan win his last titles, my dad would hold me when we would watch the football games and other sporting events. Towards the end of this era I was coming of childhood age.

Early childhood(late 1998-mid 2000): A special time indeed. The early part of my childhood was during this time. I remember that around this time, I started to collect VHS tapes on a consistent basis, I remember watching my first set of preschool shows such as Blues Clues, Sesame Street, Arthur, Thomas the tank engine, Teletubbies, Barnie, and Mr Rogers. I remember my mom reading me bed time stories during this time, I also recall when I started getting mcdonalds and collecting happy meals :D !  Starting preschool was a big deal for the family cause it was a sing that times were now changing. I would meet a lot of my friends would stay with me all the way until high school. I did many sing a longs in he class, build blocks, go outside in the backyard playground, and learn backs things.I got the N64 for my 4th birthday.Now my earliest memories of watching Nick, Kids WB, Disney channel during the Zoog period, Fox Kids were during this time. I recall my St. Louis Rams winning the Super Bowl with its greatest show on turf period. The first two movies I saw in theaters were during this time as well. I recall the last Renaissance movies being released and when the first few dreamworks animated movies were being made.Also 4 and 5 are my earliest memories listening to some newly made music. I listened to Will Smith, NSYNC, and even a little destiny's child solely because I heard some of their music at the end of a lot of their movies. ;D  Finally I started going to church with my mother during this time and we've been there since! :) 

Core childhood Part 1(Late 2000-mid 2003):
I turned 5 years old and remember getting some N64 games, the game boy color and rugrats in Paris, and Star Wars Episode 1 for my birthday. My first memories of watching Cartoon Network Was around this time as well, and discovering the toonami block where I watched DBZ, gundam, tenchi muyo, and Zoids. I also begun to follow pro wrestling, WWF and WCW on a consistent basis. I was now scared to go on the Farris wheel because me and my mom kinda got stuck at a carnival. Pre K was similar to preschool. But it was also similar to kindergarten as well. Regardless my peak childhood was now here. It was a good time to be a kid. I still played my N64 and Gameboy advanced. CN/Nickelodeon/Kids WB/Disney/Toon disney/PBS kids, WWF/WWE, Fox kids was still around for a little bit. Those years had the best music(Glam and bling bling Rap,Hard Rock) and video games of the decade. Oh and the adult TV shows at the time too(West Wing,CSI,Law and Order,Friends,That 70s Show,Simpsons) At the end of the school year when I was in kindergarten we did a tribute to america after the tragedy of September 11! Playing with legos were a thing! Watching Disney movies on VHS over the summer were big fro me! Kickball became a hobby of mine! I went to Branson Missouri in 2002! I went to Chicago from 2000-2003 during the summer and still go to this day over the summer! Everybody moved on from PS1 and got PS2's but many like myself still played N64 during the early 2000s! Getting the PS2 was a dream come true, because it would become my favorite console ever. It was also fun seeing the Rams go back to the superbowl again but we lost to the damn Patriots which started their great run. >:( >:( >:( But seeing the Lakers/Spurs rivalry, MLB was still really good, and the final years Hockey was still relevant.  WWF became WWE, but the product was still good until the mid 2000s. It was cool to start be in Pre K, kindergarten and go through 1st grade I LOVED being 5-7 during these years. My birthdays were all AT THEIR PEAK during these years! I also gave my life to the lord at the age of 7 in latter half of 2002 OFFICIALLY!

Core childhood Part 2(late 2003-mid 2005): My personal/kid life was just the best it had ever been. My life started to change when I moved to the suburbs when I was 8 in 03, I was starting to get a bit older during this time! PS2 and Gameboy Advanced. 2nd and 3rd grade baby what an experience! Class field trips were at their peak during this time. I could now do more outdoor activities. Riding my bike and scooter! Helping my parents and grandparents get the leaves up on the yard!Riding my bike and scooter! Helping my parents and grandparents get the leaves up on the yard! I went tricker treating from 2003-2005! Toon Disney, CN, Nick all went through some changes during the latter part of this era, some 90s holdover shows ended during this time, and things like ABC kids,Fox Box,Jetix and teen nick all became a thing I'd do! Disney was still good to watch; until 2006 when HSM and Hannah Monatana came. Being 8 and 9 during these years.The St. Louis Cardinals begun a memorable run during this time. The last days the RAMS were ANY good. These were the last days I felt COMPLETELY innocent.

Late childhood(Late 2005-2007): Once again my kid and personal life was great!I just loved going out doors and playing football, kickball, tag, basketball, and baseball with my cousins and friends ANY time they came over!! PS2 and XBOX were GREAT! I started to collect DVDs on my own! I joined a little leauge baseball team and played BBall in 3rd and 4th grade!! I went to summer camp in 2005 and camped in the winter for my boy scout group. I discovered more about life during these years. I begun to watch MTV, BET, and VH1 regularly. 4th and 5th grade were quite the experience, due the classrooms being upstairs where all the 7th and 8th graders were!! :o I enjoyed these years very much. Being 10-12 during these years, my kid years were coming to a close. I played my cousins Wii for the first time when I went over to his house. It was fun. I made even more new friends in 5th and 6th grade. I played baseball and soccer and traveled to district to district, field to field, town to town and had a BLAST! My Cardinals won the world series in 2006 after my 11 th birthday!! :o :D  I Listened to Soulja Boy's cranck dat, crank and snap rap music, and rock was good. Played Guitar Hero and Rock Band with cousins. I started to get into more mature things during these years. This period ended on a bad note with the death of my grandfather and a slightly better one with the purchase of the XBOX 360 in the summer of 2008.

Early teen years(2008- mid 2010):This was defintley the biggest change in my life. From which the likes of which I haven't seen; I don't think I've EVER seen anything like it since, besides going to college. I entered my teen years officially during this time. Another reason why the shift in 2008 seemed HUGE. I mean WOW! I got Soul Calibur 4, The Force Unleashed, and another game for my 13th birthday! Times in my personal life begun to change as the culture had changed. Kids in my class started to clown, became more cynical, and crazier. Honestly we probably just got tired of each other. It was sad that my grade school years ended on such a bad note. I got the PS3 in 2009 Christmas, which caused backlash with my uncle because he was a XBOX fan at the time.The 2000s ended on a bad note in general.  Overall being 13-14 during this time was odd and I was REALLY starting to lose my innocence during this time.

Peak teen years(late 2010-2012):When the 2010s started and I started high school, they had to be the worst freaking years in ALL of my life. I mean Jesus 2010 and ESPECIALLY 2011 were terrible! Music and TV was good during this time, but my life was horrible. The people in my high school were either arrogant, stuck up assholes or they were ghetto. I didn't have that many friends too. Politics and egotism were major at that place. I also got the freshman 15 while in high school actually! ;D I got pretty big, but that was because of a bunch of factors. Most of the girls were beautiful, but some of them were some big ol girls! ;D  Being a horny young teen I kind of enjoyed it! ;) ;D !  Overall being 15-17 during this time was odd and I LOST MY INNOCENCE COMPLETELY during this time!Kind of a transitional time, I turned 16 started to learn how to drive the got my license and wasn't driving full time until I was 17 1/2. I begun to enter my latter teens years during the last year of this era. I started maturing.There was less drama in high school. I still feels like yesterday to me. I  started getting back into shape, I started playing tennis and even a little soccer for my high school during these years.My Cardinals beat the Texas Rangers after an EPIC game 6 comeback win thanks to David Freese and Lance Berkman! 8)  These were the final years where I enjoyed the mainstream music fully!

Late teen years(2013-mid 2015): I entered my latter teens years during this point. I really matured as a person during these years. There was less drama in high school. I still feels like yesterday to me. I got back into shape, I started playing tennis and even a little soccer for my high school during these years. I had fun. Watching TWD, Game of thrones, Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theroy, Sons of Anarchy, and later Arrow & Parenthood. I ended this time pride by turning 18, then getting the PS4 for Christmas; the first time I got a console during the launch year.  8) Welp, I eventually graduated from high school, and had an after party. Sadly my Aunt passed away in the summer of the same year; right when I was at a summer program getting me ready for college. It was a interesting and magnificent life experience for me.

Early 20s(late 2015-present): My current life I live and it's improved slightly! College is my current endeavor! ::)

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 12/03/15 at 5:22 pm

This is how it went down for me

Mid 90s 1994-Spring 1998
I formed my first memories in 1994 at age 3 and attended pre school until June 1996 where I graduates and I moved twice during this time period the first time in early 1996 to stay temporarily with my grandmother and then again in June 1996. I attended private school in fall of 1996 for kindergarten.

Late 90s Summer 1998-summer 2001
I changed schools twice during this period.

Early 00s late 2001-summer 2001
I graduated elementary school and I met a very good friend in September 2003.

Mid 2000s- late 2004-mid 2008 I moved away from him for a year from September 2004-June 2005 and ever since that move my life hasn't been the same and the internet started becoming a bigger part of my life in 2006/2007 when I was 15/16 and not to mention high interest I the opposite sex.

Late 00s late 2008-Spring 2010
Peer pressure and rush to find a girlfriend is all I have to say about this time period

2010s Summer 2010-2015 I was/am already in college during this time, started to nostalgize the 90s more than ever and created a YouTube account during this period.

Written By: af2010 on 12/04/15 at 1:55 am

Hey, what part of 1987 were you born in?

Late (I turn 28 on the 15th). Why?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/15 at 2:25 am

1988-1991: Huh?
1991-1992: Big hair, 80s influence, Whitney Houston, Vanessa Williams, etc, etc.
1993-1994: Power Rangers, Barney, Sesame Street
1995-2001: A very happy time in my life, teen pop, X-files, The Simpsons
2001-2004: Jr. High, puberty, Harry Potter, Family Guy etc, etc.
2004-2007: Ringtone rap, Eminem, Ciara, Lil' John, Soldier boy, Social Media, Apple bottom jeans song ( ;D ;D),  etc, etc,

Written By: aja675 on 12/04/15 at 7:35 am

I loved and have always loved Alternative but when the Spice Girls came out I became a super fan.  I wanted to be Victoria.  That same year I discovered the Backstreet Boys, before they actually became popular.  So I was into them for several years.  Now I really don't pay attention as I'm majorly into different Rock genres and can't stand pop.  But that's not really the reason, I wouldn't post it here.  Lets just say I know a lot about them personally that most don't.  :-X  I got seriously into Horror this year.  The Craft partly influenced my love of Magik.  But it was Scream that got me in love with Horror.  To this day Scream is still my favorite movie.  I was into MTV ovcourse.  Beavis and Butthead. 

I hope that it doesn't have to do anything with them being assholes, seeing as I actually like the Backstreet Boys.  :-X

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/04/15 at 11:33 am

Interesting topic. This is how I would define my own "eras":

Early '90s (Summer 1990 - August 1992)

For me, the "early '90s" is basically the time when my memories began to solidify. I can only recall a few snatches of 1990 (like that summer when I only narrowly avoided being bitten by a rattlesnake), but things start becoming somewhat clearer in 1991. I remember my parents moving that April, the birth of my younger brother in May, and going to see my first movie (TMNT II). I also remember opening up my presents on Christmas morning '91. I remember the Summer of 1992 quite well, particularly my 5th birthday party that July.

Mid '90s (September 1992 - August 1998)

I know that probably seems way too long a gap, but when I consider the "mid '90s" the first thing I think of is being in elementary school, so I really just consider that all one overextended era. Essentially, this is the absolute peak of my childhood. I got a Super Nintendo on Christmas '92, and spent the next several weeks trying to reach the Vanilla Dome on Super Mario World, rushed back from school every afternoon to watch the FOX Kids Club, played basketball with my friends and dreamed of being "Like Mike", collected Pogs, collected Goosebumps books, woke up early on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons, took my allowance down to our local Movie Gallery and hoped they had The Lion King or Toy Story in stock, eagerly awaited new Nicktoon episodes, and learned the Macarena. In the Fall of 1995, I watch my beloved Atlanta Braves finally win that elusive World Series title. I voted for Bill Clinton in our 4th grade classes' mock 1996 election, something that sparked a lifelong geeky interest in politics for me. Earlier that summer, my parents took us to Universal Studios in Orlando, and I actually got to see Nickelodeon Studios, when it was at the peak of it's powers.

In many ways, the Summer of 1998 was something of a "last gasp" for my peak childhood.  I spent those last halcyon days coveting a Nintendo 64 (which I would not get until that Christmas), finding any possible excuse to go over to my cousin's house because he was the only kid I knew with a PlayStation, and following with keen interest the home run chase between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. I watched Jordan's "Last Shot" in the '98 NBA Finals, and asked my parents alot of really uncomfortable questions about Monica Lewinsky's blue dress.

Late '90s (September 1998 - July 2001)

The late '90s for me is my junior high years. These were the years when I became fully immersed in pop culture. In 1998 I started watching MTV regularly, recording songs off the radio, and buying CD's and cassette tapes. I went on the World Wide Web for the first time at my cousin's house that fall. At this point, I started watching increasingly less cartoons (though Toonami was still on the daily docket), and expanded my horizons to include stuff like WWF RAW. I watched the 1998 Atlanta Falcons cap a storybook season by defeating the 15-1 Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship Game, only to get blown out in the Super Bowl by John Elway and the Denver Broncos, and then I watched the debut of Family Guy later that night. I watched the fires at Woodstock '99, enjoyed the incredible glut of great N64/PS1 era video games, collected Pokemon cards, watched my grandmother collect Beanie Babies, and was very glad on January 1, 2000 when the "Y2K problem" wound up being nothing.

In late 2000, I followed every development of the Bush v. Gore Florida recount controversy, and begged my parents (in vain) for a PlayStation 2. At the height of the Pokemon hype, I pre-ordered a video game for the first and only time (Pokemon Silver on the Game Boy Color). Like most kids growing up in the south, I was a big NASCAR fan, and was watching the 2001 Daytona 500 when Dale Earnhardt lost his life in a tragic last lap crash. In Spring '01, the XFL became a massive flop, but the WWF had it's greatest pay-per-view ever (even if Stone Cold Steve Austin turning heel did take out some of the steam). Artists like Limp Bizkit, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera and Linkin Park still ruled the musical landscape, but that era was coming to a close.

Early '00s (August 2001 - May 2005)

My high school years. I started high school in early August 2001, and right away everything felt different, not just because I was changing schools, but also because two of my best friends had moved away the previous summer. Of course, when I watched the World Trade Center collapse on September 11th everything truly felt different. For me, these were the days of dial-up internet use, shopping for CD's and DVD's at music stores., buying ugly Korn t-shirts at Hot Topic, devoting way too much time to playing my PlayStation 2, marveling at how awesome Michael Vick was, and watching the hottest music videos on Fuse. I mowed lawns for two weeks to save up enough money to buy Grand Theft Auto III. I brought Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by OutKast on the day it came out, and used one of my very first paychecks to go out and buy Elephant by The White Stripes. Like 52 million other Americans, I watched the Friends finale in May 2004.

Slowly but surely, the last vestiges of my childhood began to fade. I got my drivers license in July 2003, and my first job a few months later. I brought my first "M Rated" legally (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas), then stayed up playing it for 10 consecutive hours. In late 2004/early 2005, I spent considerable time at my cousin's Halo 2 LAN parties. Finally, in May 2005, I graduated from high school.

Mid '00s (June 2005 - December 2007)

Even before I started college in the fall, it was obvious that change was in the air. In the Summer of 2005, a new era of internet was on the rise as I found Wikipedia, MySpace and early streaming video. I discovered this website for the first time in late 2005, and watched my first video on YouTube in January 2006. I spent a hard earned $250 on a PSP at launch, and wound up regretting it as UMD flopped hard. The world really opened up for me when I finally got DSL internet connection in June 2006. Overnight, I started downloading songs off Limewire and Ares by the dozens, and spending hours at a time watching YouTube videos. I brought my very first MP3 player in December 2006.

From a musical standpoint, this is when I first began to "tune out" of pop culture a little bit, though I did still buy CD's fairly regularly up through 2006. Largely, this era for me (much like for the rest of America) was one of fun times and excess, until late 2007 when the Great Recession officially began and I, coincidentally, lost my job. Needless to say, that put a big hit in my runaway spending.

Late '00s (January 2008 - November 2010)

January 2008 proved a big turning point for me. Just as Barack Obama was winning the Iowa Caucus and starting his road to the White House, my dad was able to get me a job helping to remodel an old house. The job lasted through the summer and netted me a boatload of cash, with the only real downfall being having to hear All Summer Long by Kid Rock a billion times on that portable radio one of the other worker's had. :P

I finally got a PlayStation 3 as a Christmas gift in 2007, and spent much of 2008 playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and NBA 2K9. My parents got their first HDTV in February 2008, just in time to see the undefeated New England Patriots lose to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl. I was skeptical about the Wii at first, but finally caved and got one for Christmas 2009, and Super Mario Galaxy immediately became one of my all-time favorite games. I graduated college in the Summer of 2009, and finally got a decent enough job to afford my own place in November 2010.

Early/Mid '10s (December 2010 - Today)

There's really not much for me to say here. I find that, the older you get, the more of a blur everything starts to become. I know that much has changed since 2010, but my life individually has remained essentially steady. Heck, sometimes I have to remind myself it's not still 2010. I've been pretty much completely out of pop culture since I left college, and have even had to cut back on my gaming in recent years due to more demands on my time.

Written By: d90 on 12/06/15 at 4:25 am

Early 90s
1990 year i was born
Mid 90s
1993 first memories of life. first time playing a computer game which was Busytown for Ms Dos
1994 I made an echo in the Preschool bathroom
1996 school begins.
Late 90s
late 1998 I discovered how to record my voice on the computer.I began my interest in Pokemon
January 1999 Became a Pokemon fan.
early 2000s
September 1999 3rd grade made some good good friends.
2000 got a then 2 months old Chiuahua puppy in June.
2001 I start to become more aware of the world especially after 9/11. I begin drawing imaginary city maps on butcher block paper
2003 I have my Barmitzvah.
Mid 2000s
September 2003 I start going to Junior high
2005 I graduate Junior High
Late 2000s
September 2005 Begin high school
Late 2005 I start to go on the internet more often
and i discover more of the cool things the internet has to offer
2006: the year the fading of 90s influences ended . Windows 98 becomes obsolete and movies and tv episodes stop being released on VHS. My family gets a Windows Xp and wireless internet. I go to Homecoming dance
2008: I go to prom
2009: I graduate High School
Early 2010s
September 2009 I begin going to College
December 2009. The Chihuahua is put down due to getting a serious disease
2010: water damage at home . extremely grumpy grandpa fixes the damage
2011 first trip out of California. I went on a trip to Florida
2012 I get my first Tablet
Mid 2010s
2013: I start feeling more like an adult
Late 2010s
2017: I graduate from College

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 06/30/17 at 7:10 pm

Late 90's: June 22, 1998 - September 2002
Begins with the day I was born to when I started school.
-Basically the era I have no vivid memories of, as this was the first stage of my life.

Early 00's September 2002 - June 22, 2004
Begins with the first day of school and ends on the day I got my PS2 for my 6th birthday. (first time I ever played video games)
-Early days of school and when I first met my friends and many of the people I know now. Basically the period when my life really opened up (if that makes any sense)

Mid 00's June 22, 2004 - September 30, 2007
Begins with 6th birthday and ends with the worst day of my life (won't say why, too personal)
-Not much to say for this era, it was pretty much just an extension to the former period. 

Late 00's September 30, 2007 - July 17, 2009
Begins with the worst day of my life to the day I graduated elementary school (or primary school as it's called where I live)
-Probably the worst part of my life, not just because of what happened in September '07 but just because it was dull, and boring.

Early 10's Summer 2009 - July 23, 2010
Begins with the day I graduated elementary/primary school and ends with the final day of 6th grade/Year 7.
-This was the best time of my life, I was popular and had loads of friends, the summer of 2009 was the best time of my whole life, it was also when I started junior high school. This era ended on the last day of 6th grade, after this my popularity plummeted.

Mid 10's Part 1 Summer 2010 - May 23, 2014
Begins with the end of Year 7/Grade 6 and ends with the final day of high/secondary school.
-This is the period when I first became interested in pop culture of past decades, it's also when I started playing PS3 and when I met my former good friend Jordan.

Mid 10's Part 2 May 23, 2014 - present
Begins with the end of school to present
-This is where I'm at in life now, don't really have many friends any more due to high school being over and when I became a bum as all I do with my life now is sit on my ass all day on the computer  ;D

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/30/17 at 8:23 pm

Late 90s: December 21, 1999 - Summer 2002
Begins with the day that I was born to my first memory.
- Basically the era where I had no memories of, as this was the first stage of my life.

Early '00s: Summer 2002 - September 13, 2004
Begins with my first memory where my parents took me to Brooklyn to see a newborn baby. It also involved my dad taking me to a playground. Ended around the time I went to Kindergarten.
- My preschool and toddler years. Basically when I had my first memories.

Mid '00s: September 13, 2004 - July 2007
Begins with my first day in Kindergarten and ends around the time I heard about YouTube.
- The first time where I actually started to make long-term friends that I know now.
- Also around the time where I started watching Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel.

Late '00s: July 2007 - September 26, 2009
Begins when I started to regularly watch YouTube videos. Back when they were actually entertaining and didn't make a quick buck every second. Ended around the time where Nickelodeon rebranded.
- Basically the same as the mid 2000s, except I watched more videos on the Internet. It's more like an extension.

Early '10s: September 26, 2009 - October 5, 2011
Begins when Nickelodeon rebranded (which was a big deal to me because that's when I started to see differences). Ended around the time when Steve Jobs died.
- This is the period where I kinda went through the first stages of puberty. It was also the last time where I felt gradually happy.

Mid '10s Part I: October 5, 2011 - August 14, 2013
Begins with Steve Jobs' death to the end of the summer of 2013.
- The worst part of my life. This is when I was mostly depressed and I went through some of the worst times that I ever gone through.
- This was also around the time where I usually just watched horror movies, but also repetitively read Wikipedia articles about racism, eugenics, and Nazism. I'm not kidding.

Mid '10s Part II: August 14, 2013 - February 2, 2016
Begins around the time where my middle school days were over and ended when I went through different school districts.
- This was when I was mostly nostalgic over my childhood and hated anything related towards the 2010s.
- It was also around the time where I got super sensitive over stuff on the Internet, like the IGN Boards for example.

Late '10s: February 2, 2016 - present
Begins when I went with my new school district to present.
- This is where I am right now. I'm more neutral over stuff on the Internet because of the previous things I've experienced.
- Also around the time where I just get bored as hell and my friend starts to annoy me on Skype.

Written By: wixness on 06/30/17 at 9:21 pm

1997-2003 (mid-90s to mid-2000s): life was good. I was taken care of well by loving relatives and the environment was quite relaxed. I was quite a weird kid, and I spent most of my time playing with myself since I couldn't get any of the other kids to play with me. I had something of an obsession with girls or anyone that looked like them. I left for the UK from the Philippines at 2004.

2004-2005 (mid-2000s): life didn't seem so bright on me and my brother's first couple of years in the UK. Parents were often stressed with us and wanted us to do well with our studies. Didn't want us to go out and round to others' houses much, if, at all. School didn't seem that great as well when every other day, the teachers would get pissed off with a student.

2006-2007 (mid-2000s): best year of my life, especially since I got to visit the US for the first time. 2007 was when my sister was born. 2007 overall didn't seem that great to me again.

2008-2009 (late-2000s): not much going on around here, although this is one of the more clearer times I can remember. I might have had my first phone then or a bit earlier, maybe 2006 or 2007. Otherwise had a ton of tech or something, IDK (e.g. first new games console, namely the Xbox 360, I believe). I loved having my first games console since it all felt so real. It still lives today, only problem with it is a broken HDMI port (i.e. no multiplayer Minecraft). 2009 was also when I left for secondary, which didn't seem that bad at first aside from a few bad eggs. First relative I was close to died though. Year that one of my favourite YT videos was out before it got taken down for either copyright or by the user. Got interested in the LGBT community or something from around 2009 or later.

2010-2011 (early 2010s): my last speck of hope for pop culture and quickly began to hate school and my life. Guys were still wearing their hair long and I could somewhat tolerate the music. Also lost a lot of files since I was using a faulty memory stick that I got from the Philippines when I visited there once. Field trips in those two years were the last "fun" ones I had in my opinion, although one of these "fun" ones was kind of ruined towards the end because of some angry teacher and a student who pushed his luck. Attended the funeral of my maternal grandfather; sometime after, one of my aunts died of cervical cancer. Started getting online accounts for things that weren't just for emails, I believe; I opened up my first email account from years ago.

2012-2013 (mid 2010s): in my opinion, everything went to s***. I was more than happy to get out of school. Didn't know that I would get into a course with one of the angry teachers I hated if you tested him. Had confirmation as well and began to envy the atheists in my school as a result.

2014-2016 (mid 2010s): sixth form years. A break compared to secondary school although there was the occasional mean/shouty/angry teacher. Nothing much happened in these two years in my opinion. Loved the lack of uniform (wore tank tops a little too much though) and the fact that the students won't test the teachers' patience all the time. Given up hope on pop culture returning to its former glory of the 2000s at this point for the rest of the decade. By this time I only have one grandparent left. Got my gaming PC.

2016-2017 (mid 2010s): university years. Loved the even more relaxed environment, hated the extra workloads and additional expectations of a university student (e.g. reading journals everyday, maintaining a professional profile). Current course seems to me the least boring thing I've studied so far.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/01/17 at 9:16 am

Late 90's/early 2000's: 1998 - 2003 First era I have memories of. Both preschool and early school years. My life was innocent full  of wonder and joy at the simplest things. I was full of life and young however my life was almost too simple. I had no consistent friends and was on my own the most of the time.

Mid 2000's: 2003 - 2008 Dark era. I changed school's in 2003 and graduated in mid 2008. I was bullied a lot, was physically smaller than everyone else in my class and overall just had very low self esteem and was an easy target. I'll always remember these years as the years when I made my first best friend and met my childhood sweetheart and had a couple of my favorite teachers. There were a few positives in a cloud of negatives.

late 2000's/early 2010's: 2008 -2012 Best years of my life. I loved my secondary school. I'll always remember that it was painted a soft yellow color inside which almost reflected my mood during this era. It was bright and happy. I made the best friend I ever had. I loved my classmates. Was winning talent shows and competitions for my art and animation. Me and my best friend made animated films which were screened every year to the whole school in the talent shows that the school put on. Not to to mention the multitude of friends that I made because of this even people younger than me came up to me and were always asking are you the guy that makes the animated films? I also took part in a big stage production of a choir at my local convention center and around my country which was honestly a once in a lifetime experience for me. Loved the popular music during this era as well! Legendary era wish I could go back!

Early Mid 2010's : 2012 - 2015 HELL. After the high of the previous era I went through personal problems brought my life to a dark pit. Mental illnesses, and horrible encounters with horrible people and a general dark sense of hopelessness. I still haven't fully recovered. 2014 was pretty good but the dark atmosphere and depression was still there. most of it was bad.

late mid 2010's: 2015 - 2017:
Better than the previous era thank goodness. I started to recover at about September 2015 I was living in my nearest city with a good friend of mine and studying animation at college not to mention a lot of partying  ;) 2016 was the best year for my health since 2011! Still studying in college in 2017 but I'm not sure I'll ever be as happy as I was in late 2000's early 2010's because of what broke me. Hopefully I will be eventually.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/02/17 at 4:06 pm

Late 90s: December 21, 1999 - Summer 2002
Begins with the day that I was born to my first memory.
- Basically the era where I had no memories of, as this was the first stage of my life.

Whoa, you were almost born right at the start of the new millennium.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/17 at 5:32 pm

Mid 1990s (February 1993 - August 1996) — I was a baby.

Late 1990s (September 1996 - August 1998) — I was in kindergarten and making my first few friends.

Y2K era (September 1998 — August 2001) — Grades 1, 2 and 3. Started making my own friends and getting my own hobbies. I got a bike, started playing outside without parent supervision in 2000, and I loved my N64.

Early 2000s (September 2001 -  February 2003) — Grades 4 and 5. I had the most evil teacher! He gave us a lot of homework, so I didn't have much free time. My parents started signing me up for a lot of after school activities too.

Being 10 year olds (February 2003 - June 2004) — this felt like the longest year of my life. I hit puberty, got a job shovelling snow, my parents allowed me to bike around town so I started going places, I got into music, and I did have a boyfriend for a bit, and I followed my first major political event (Iraq War)

The Mid 2000s (July 2004 - May 2006) — Grades 7 and 8. A bit of a low point in my life. Moved to a new city, had zero friends, got bullied and ostracized for being gay, my maternal grandma passed away. My twin sisters were born, and one was born with disabilities, so my mom was living in the hospital. They were born in the summer, so my dad had used most of his full paid paternity by the time the school year started, and couldn't afford to use much more, and he often spent time after work on the visiting hours at the hospital and was dead tired after he came home at 11PM so.... It was up to me and my two brothers to raise our other sister (we were ages 10-12/13). We'd send her away sometimes to our cousin's house and our paternal grandmother moved in a few months afterwards (she was very old and had poor mobility skills though), which helped. Anyway, terrible school life, nonexistent family life, and a dying sister, and a screaming baby. I was depressed and my brother was suicidal. But my other sister got better and my mom returned home. We moved to a bigger house. We had a nurse coming to our house and I became good friends, she was like the first person I could socialize normally with in a long time. Things were looking up.

The late 2000s (May 2006 - August 2008) — started high school, Grades 9 and 10. Made a group of friends for the first time in three years. I was still extremely shy and didn't talk very much though and got bullied a lot, but at least I wasn't ostracized or treated like an untouchable anymore. Got a cool haircut, played some cool video games. Learnt how to use public transport, and grew the balls to ride a bike in the big city, so I was going out a lot, and even going to the other cities without my parents. I got a job in late 2007 at the grocery store, and started hobbies that I'm still deep into today.

Great Recession (September 2008 - May 2009) — I got into an specialized science programme. It was a bit far from my house, so I was living with an aunt/uncle who were living closer to the school. I only had few friends at my new school, and felt very lonely and homesick. One of the teachers had it out for me too. It doesn't sound as bad as 2005/6, but this was more depressing for me, since I was suicidal. I think it's because I felt very lonely and rejected, unlike in 2005/6 where I had some social support. I wasn't doing well in school anymore so my parents weren't happy with me either. I got laid off in April 2009 and that was probably the lowest low point of my life. I quit my programme and moved back home. I started talking to a counsellor and I became more mentally stable, and life got better.

The early 2010s (June 2009 - February 2013) — my last year of high school, a gap year and my first two years of university. I worked on myself, and forgave the people who hurt me, and forgave myself for the mistakes I made. I became a lot more social and active, and had tons of friends and good times. The bullying was no more. I did extremely well in school, I was almost a household name there because of it. I took a year off after high school and got a full time job. Then I went off to university on a full scholarship. It was a continuation of my last year of high school. Friends, good times, and learning a lot about myself and learning to let my past go.

The mid-2010s (February 2013 - April 2016) — my then 7 year old sister was diagnosed with lymphoma and my bubble popped and I crashed from the high very quickly. I failed all my classes that semester and took a year off from school. A lot of nights spent in the hospital for me, I was dead tired. The doctors said she wasn't going to make it, and that just ruined me. I was crying litres everyday  :\'(  My maternal grandmother passed away in the beginning of 2014, she was like a second mother to me. Thankfully, my sister got out of her coma and learnt to talk again, and gradually got better. I returned to school, but I took more courses than I could handle, especially since I was taking care of a kid with disabilities now, so I didn't do so well. I felt very lonely at times, but I found someone to talk to one way or another. I did get my mojo back at some point. I lost my full V card and had a boyfriend, but that ended in being a Hindenberg level disaster, and still fills me up with a lot of guilt. Anyway, it came to an end, I did write up my Physics thesis and I got a job! Whee!

The late 2010s (May 2016 - Present Day)— work! Life is simple for the most part. I go to work and I come home and do my thing. Learning a few things about adulting. Im trying to start my own business or at least make money on the side. I need to go back to school and finish my second major (Computer Science), and I want to do a masters in it too. I do feel lonely and confused at times, especially since I'm still closeted and my friends are very busy. But lol, I've been through all of this before. ;D

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/02/17 at 6:00 pm

Whoa, you were almost born right at the start of the new millennium.  :o

Well yeah. I was born 10 days before Y2K, but I'm pretty sure that's when people thought of it as a hoax.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/03/17 at 3:46 pm

Well yeah. I was born 10 days before Y2K, but I'm pretty sure that's when people thought of it as a hoax.

What do you mean?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 4:16 pm

What do you mean?

Nobody took the Y2K hoax seriously by the time I was born.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/01/18 at 1:56 pm

2002-2004: Baby/toddler era.
The time period in which I was born and was just a very small toddler and obviously have no memories of.

2005-2006:
Early childhood years, before my core childhood, this is where I have vague memories that start to clear up by 2006, but I was still doing the same stuff that I was doing at age 3.

2007-2012:

Core childhood era. The first full era that I can vividly remember, basically my time spent in elementary school. I was doing big kid stuff, I was firmly in my childhood.

Late 2012-mid-2013:
This was a transitional period between my core childhood and preteen years. I like to think of this time period as like a gradual cultural shift in my personal life. This was the last school year that I truly felt like I was in my childhood, but the fact that this was my final last year of elementary and teachers were preparing us for middle school was enough for me to consider this more of a transitional period, rather than a full-on core childhood school year, but I definitely still consider this school year to be apart of my childhood.

Late 2013-2016:
Middle school years, in which I started middle school, became a teenager and started doing more teenage stuff. I grew out of playing with dolls and barbies, signed up for Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter.

Late 2016 - present: High school era (AKA my current era) in which I am firmly in my teens and definitely in the core teen years.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/01/18 at 2:14 pm

I'm gonna make an updated version of my decade eras post because it seems a bit outdated.

December 21, 1999 - Spring 2002:
* Obviously did not have any memories from this era.
* Was mostly a baby and toddler.

Summer 2002 - Summer 2004:
* Vaguely had memories from this era.
* Was mostly a toddler going through preschool.
* Around the time when I started to say stuff.

September 2004 - Spring 2007:
* The first part of my main childhood.
* Starting going to elementary school at this time.
* Was mostly on the Internet with kiddy websites.

Summer 2007 - Fall 2011
* The second part of my main childhood.
* Had fun with my friends, along with playing video games.
* Started to watch YouTube videos in a fond manner.

October 2011 - August 2013:
* My early adolescence, also known as my least favorite part of my life.
* Used Wikipedia to read articles based on fascism.
* Usually listened to metal bands such as Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, and System of a Down.

August 2013 - February 2016:
* My nostalgic era, when I realized that life was much better in my childhood.
* Watched videos on YouTube that reminded me of my childhood.
* Joined here for a better community.

February 2016 - February 2017:
* Felt more anxious about school.
* Watched more modern YouTube videos.

February 2017 - present:
* Listened to bands such as Korn, Evanescence, Slipknot, Sevendust, Disturbed, etc.
* Developed an obsession with my YouTube watch history and extremely managed it.
* Went more on Discord to talk more privately.

Written By: Lyndialy on 04/01/18 at 3:41 pm

My preschool era in 2000s and my elementary schooling in 2010s.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/03/18 at 11:52 am

Mid-90s:  Spring 1994 to December 1997
This period makes up the bulk of my childhood memories, especially 1994-1996, the core Brooklyn years. 1994 through December 1996 was probably the happiest time of my childhood, but Summer 1997 represented a transition to the late 1990s. I started Pre-School in September 1994. I moved to New Jersey with my parents December 1996 through January 1997. It was a happy, weird, and sometimes chaotic time. By the summer of 1997, things which had existed for my entire life, or which I could remember for all my life up to that point, were gone: My dog Jackie, who we got in 1993 and was my first dog, got killed by a car around April 1997. My parents' collection of Bamboo furniture (which my mother had had since the late 1980), which had given our home a very unique flavor and aesthetic, especially for Brooklyn, NY, was all lost or broken between November 1996 and December 1997. By Christmas 1997, we had a bland wooden table, a bland wooden modern entertainment center and so on. In 1997 we got rid of the Packard Bell, which had been our first home computer, and gotten a HP PC which we would have until 2000. We would stick with HP until the end of the 2000s. We fully integrated into the New Jersey lifestyle in 1997. We bought a small boat. My dad cut his hair from a mullet fully in the summer of 1996 but allowed it to regrow, but cut it in late June 1997 for good. He would have short hair the rest of the 1990s.

Late 90s:  Spring 1998 to Spring 2002
The core New Jersey years. By now we're fully integrated here. Sega Genesis is over, I've gotten a SNES and will get a Playstation for Christmas 1998. My sisters Jenn marries her boyfriend she has been dating since 1996 in 1999. My other sister meets and marries her (now ex) husband in 1998. A certain order is settled to by this point. Our house is cleancut and conservative. The denim jackets are hung up for good. The turbulence of 1997 is over with. This era is my least favorite in pop cultural history as I hated all the music of the period. I discovered the Rolling Stones in early 1998 and that became my favorite music. We get a new dog in 2001.

Early 00s: Spring 2002-June 2005
We move back to Brooklyn in the spring of 2002, and I start middle school there. Our two dogs have puppies in 2003, one of which we keep. I get a PS2 in 2002. My dad grows his hair long again. My sisters all are back in my life and everything is relatively stable. This is an interesting midpoint I'll go into more detail on later.

Check for new replies or respond here...