inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 5th gen vs 6th gen

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 8:08 pm

http://images.gameskinny.com/gameskinny/cb75fb3b67f3d17f5e0416cef46334fa.jpg                                                https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D39hmiiwIFw/hqdefault.jpg

Ok I moved it to this thread, it was originally in the video game section! ;D
Alright, here we go!!! The Ultimate battle between my main childhood consoles. The 5th generation of gaming(PS1, N64,Saturn,gameboy color)vs the 6th generation(PS2, XBOX,GameCube,Dreamcast,Gameboy Advanced)!! It's generally a toss up though. However I gotta go with the 6th generation, because that generation took the previous generation to a WHOLE NOTHER level, just like 4th gen did with 3rd gen!

Subject: Re: 5th gen vs 6th gen

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 8:13 pm

Here are Adam's overviews of the generations and I agree 150%!!
IgHQAjlblbw                                                                                                                                  VkmUZpIpxtc

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/15 at 8:20 pm

just like 4th gen did with 4rd gen!

3rd

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/15 at 8:23 pm

One of the most difficult decisions of m life. I consider 5th gen & 6th gen as the golden age of gaming. The Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, and XBOX gives me the most nostalgia when it comes to 6th generation gaming. However, I've played the N64 many times at the old children's ministry I used to go to before service started or with of my cousins at their house. All the games I played were great too. I'll take me a while to make this one bro!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 8:25 pm

3rd

thanks!! ;D ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/05/15 at 8:40 pm

I have to go with 5th. N64 was my life from 1st grade until halfway through 5th when GameCube came out. I was into GameCube until about 7th grade and then I kind of lost interest in buying new games.

To this day I believe I'm one of the best Mario Kart 64 players of all time ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/15 at 9:48 pm

I have to go with 5th. N64 was my life from 1st grade until halfway through 5th when GameCube came out. I was into GameCube until about 7th grade and then I kind of lost interest in buying new games.

To this day I believe I'm one of the best Mario Kart 64 players of all time ;D

IMO Mario Kart 64 hasn't aged good when it comes to the controls, but I feel like it's not fair to judge a Mario Kart game based off how old it's gotten. At the time Mario Kart 64 was fresh and new it was and still is one of the best Mario Kart games of all time. Super Mario Kart may have gotten the franchise started but without Mario Kart 64 you don't have any of the Mario Kart games made afterwards and today. Mario Kart 64 was the real beginning of Mario Kart's popularity, with the CGI Mario Kart experience with all the tracks and the 4 player experience. It was so original at the time and you'd set up tournaments with your friends. After Mario Kart 64 there wasn't a Mario Kart game on the console with a single player on a kart until the Wii one came out in 2008, which was a 12 year hiatus. As much as I love Mario Kart Double Dash as a kid, I find it overrated for how much its praised, not because of how well the courses are, the graphics, or the 4 player experience, but the 2 players in 1 kart was NOT my cup of tea personally. The special items was a cool idea though. Mario Kart DS was my favorite Mario Kart game ever. The jump from Double Dash on a console to the DS on a handheld in just a span of 2 years you'd think it wouldn't be that much of a difference at all, but no, it was HUGE. So many new features that was added. Retro courses, wifi, mission mode, vs. mode with custom features, etc. Mario Kart DS has its own feel with the single player experience that not even the recent ones had lately. Super Circuit for the Advance was an absolute BUST and glad I didn't buy it.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/05/15 at 11:15 pm

I'd say 6th since it took what was great about the 5th generation such as 3-d graphics, and perfected it. However that said, while I prefer the PS2 over PS1, and Dreamcast over Saturn (poor Saturn), I have a lot more nostalgia and great memories with the N64 over the Gamecube. Regardless all of the consoles from the 5th-6th generations I love to death!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 11:52 pm

I'd say 5th since it took what was great about the 4th generation such as 3-d graphics, and perfected it. However that said, while prefer the PS2 over PS1, and Xbox over Saturn (poor Saturn), I have a lot more nostalgia and great memories with the N64 over the Gamecube. Regardless all of the consoles from the 5th-6th generations I love to death!

You mean 6th gen took what was great about 5th gen and perfect it. Since 4th gen was a 2D gen! ::)  Sorry if I gave you a hard time there! ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/06/15 at 12:04 am

IMO Mario Kart 64 hasn't aged good when it comes to the controls, but I feel like it's not fair to judge a Mario Kart game based off how old it's gotten. At the time Mario Kart 64 was fresh and new it was and still is one of the best Mario Kart games of all time. Super Mario Kart may have gotten the franchise started but without Mario Kart 64 you don't have any of the Mario Kart games made afterwards and today. Mario Kart 64 was the real beginning of Mario Kart's popularity, with the CGI Mario Kart experience with all the tracks and the 4 player experience. It was so original at the time and you'd set up tournaments with your friends. After Mario Kart 64 there wasn't a Mario Kart game on the console with a single player on a kart until the Wii one came out in 2008, which was a 12 year hiatus. As much as I love Mario Kart Double Dash as a kid, I find it overrated for how much its praised, not because of how well the courses are, the graphics, or the 4 player experience, but the 2 players in 1 kart was NOT my cup of tea personally. The special items was a cool idea though. Mario Kart DS was my favorite Mario Kart game ever. The jump from Double Dash on a console to the DS on a handheld in just a span of 2 years you'd think it wouldn't be that much of a difference at all, but no, it was HUGE. So many new features that was added. Retro courses, wifi, mission mode, vs. mode with custom features, etc. Mario Kart DS has its own feel with the single player experience that not even the recent ones had lately. Super Circuit for the Advance was an absolute BUST and glad I didn't buy it.

I pretty much agree with your analysis of the different Mario Karts. MK64 will always be my favorite for nostalgic reasons, but I freaking loved the DS one a lot as well. The missions were a great addition and I liked that you could do single races without having the play the whole cup.

Double Dash was fun, I don't really have any complaints about it. The two players on a kart was an interesting twist and I liked the unique items.

The Super Circuit for Advance was definitely the worst...it added nothing to the franchise. Same exact roster of characters from the 64 version, mediocre tracks, and difficult controls. Honestly the original SNES version is kind of the same way even if it started it all. I think Mario Kart just doesn't work in 2D.

I've only played 7 and 8 once each as I don't own a 3DS or Wii U.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/06/15 at 12:53 am

You mean 6th gen took what was great about 5th gen and perfect it. Since 4th gen was a 2D gen! ::)  Sorry if I gave you a hard time there! ;D

Lol I just realised that error my bad  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 12/06/15 at 1:16 am

I pretty much agree with your analysis of the different Mario Karts. MK64 will always be my favorite for nostalgic reasons, but I freaking loved the DS one a lot as well. The missions were a great addition and I liked that you could do single races without having the play the whole cup.

Double Dash was fun, I don't really have any complaints about it. The two players on a kart was an interesting twist and I liked the unique items.

The Super Circuit for Advance was definitely the worst...it added nothing to the franchise. Same exact roster of characters from the 64 version, mediocre tracks, and difficult controls. Honestly the original SNES version is kind of the same way even if it started it all. I think Mario Kart just doesn't work in 2D.

I've only played 7 and 8 once each as I don't own a 3DS or Wii U.

I agree 100%. I've always said my whole life that looking at the Mario Kart games individually throughout its ENTIRE history. NOTHING tops MK64 (console) or MKDS (handheld) no matter how long Mario Kart ages throughout the years based off originality and creativity. In terms of nostalgia Double Dash comes #2 on my list, and it's actually the first Mario Kart I ever owned which I got in 2004, however, I got MKDS in 2006 which gave me the most enjoyment for some reason. MKWii was the last one I played, but it did have its ups and downs though. As for 7 & 8, same here I don't own any of those games or consoles, I heard that MK8 is really good, but once you play that game you wouldn't want to play 7 anymore. MKDS still has its own unique feel to it even without wifi. DS was the first with retro courses, the only one with the great mission mode experience, the last to have the classic power slide boost technique due to snaking, and the last to have the boo item too. See, the problem with Super Circuit was that they were trying to remake the original one but upgrade it with extra tracks and features, which was a terrible letdown after the MK64 hit. I don't know why they'd go backwards like that. I only played it once with my cousin who had the game, and I was so glad I didn't attempt to get it. Here's a bonus though, to this day you still have all the Mario Kart websites active here. The only difference is that for the DS one, I remember how before the DS Lite came out the original DS would be displayed on the site instead. I used to get on these sometimes for tips and tricks.

http://www.mariokart.com/doubledash/launch/home.html

http://www.mariokart.com/mkds/launch/index.html

http://www.mariokart64.com/

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/mariokart/enGB/home.html

Written By: #Infinity on 12/06/15 at 1:20 am

Fifth generation produced better games overall, though sixth is still not bad, especially since it was the peak of Dance Dance Revolution.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/15 at 3:15 pm

http://images.gameskinny.com/gameskinny/cb75fb3b67f3d17f5e0416cef46334fa.jpg                                                https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D39hmiiwIFw/hqdefault.jpg

Ok I moved it to this thread, it was originally in the video game section! ;D
Alright, here we go!!! The Ultimate battle between my main childhood consoles. The 5th generation of gaming(PS1, N64,Saturn,gameboy color)vs the 6th generation(PS2, XBOX,GameCube,Dreamcast,Gameboy Advanced)!! It's generally a toss up though. However I gotta go with the 6th generation, because that generation took the previous generation to a WHOLE NOTHER level, just like 4th gen did with 3rd gen!

The 6th generation.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/08/15 at 1:13 am

It's a tie for me. I love both eras.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/08/15 at 6:24 pm

This was hard, so it's a tie for me too. The Gamecube and PS2 bring back memories of when I was in my 20s, and would spend hours gaming. I can't do that anymore :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/09/15 at 2:53 pm

This was hard, so it's a tie for me too. The Gamecube and PS2 bring back memories of when I was in my 20s, and would spend hours gaming. I can't do that anymore :\'(

Why not?  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 12/09/15 at 3:18 pm

Why not?  ???

My life is too busy and hectic, and I never seem to find the time for gaming.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/15 at 3:27 pm

My life is too busy and hectic, and I never seem to find the time for gaming.

I try to have time for gaming towards the end of the night before I head off to sleep.

Written By: Toon on 12/20/15 at 7:33 am

I'm a bit late for this thread. But anyways...

For me it's a tie. 5th Gen had Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Spyro, Gex, Super Smash Bros, Final Fantasy 7/8/9, Zelda Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time, Conker's Bad Fur Day and tons more. But the 6th gen had Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Super Mario sunshine, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Halo, Devil May Cry, Dark Cloud, Mario Kart Double Dash, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy 10/12, Zelda Windwaker/Twilight Princess and tons more. And both generations had great handhelds such as the Gameboy Color in the 5th Gen. And the Gameboy Advance in the 6th.

The 5th Gen introduced the world to 3D gaming. And the 6th gen brought 3D gaming to a new level (well it was a new level back in the early 2000s anyways).

So I'll go with a tie. To me the 4th, 5th, and 6th Console gens are the golden ages of gaming to me. So many great games coming at insane rates (especially if you owned all the consoles). I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the generations after the 6th (although I do like what the 7th Gen brought along).

Check for new replies or respond here...