inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the childhood era begin for Plurals (Generation Z)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/14/15 at 4:20 pm

As we have all talked about that the Millennial (Generation Y) childhood era began around the late 80s and ending somewhere around the early-mid 00s, when do you guys think the Plural childhood started?

Subject: Re: When did the childhood era begin for Plurals (Generation Z)

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/14/15 at 5:13 pm

As we have all talked about that the Millennial (Generation Y) childhood era began around the late 80s and ending somewhere around the early-mid 00s, when do you guys think the Plural childhood started?

If you consider "Plurals" as starting in 2001, then probably late 2006/early 2007, as suggested in another thread by @#Infinity:
-YouTube
-Wii
-PS3
-Xbox 360
-Phineas & Ferb
-Hannah Montana
-Wii
-Jonas Brothers
-Wizards of Waverly Place
-etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/14/15 at 5:42 pm

If you consider "Plurals" as starting in 2001, then probably late 2006/early 2007, as suggested in another thread by @#Infinity:
-YouTube
-Wii
-PS3
-Xbox 360
-Phineas & Ferb
-Hannah Montana
-Wii
-Jonas Brothers
-Wizards of Waverly Place
-etc.
That would be a good start as by then all of those things were released around that time. I feel that the mid 00s regarding childhood were in between both generations.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/14/15 at 5:52 pm

Gen Z kid culture began in the late 2000s. Around late 06/07ish, Plain and simple. Its roots can be traced all the way back to the 2005-06 school year.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/14/15 at 5:56 pm

Gen Z kid culture began in the late 2000s. Around late 06/07ish, Plain and simple. Its roots can be traced all the way back to the 2005-06 school year.

In your opinion, do "Plurals" begin in 1998, 1999, 2000, or 2001? I know you consider 95-97 to still be late millennials.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/14/15 at 6:42 pm

In your opinion, do "Plurals" begin in 1998, 1999, 2000, or 2001? I know you consider 95-97 to still be late millennials.

So far, 2001. But that's just my opinion.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/14/15 at 8:46 pm

Yeah if were going by the 2001 and on definition of Plurals then I would say child centric culture began around in the 2006-2007 school year.

I see the 1988-1989 School Year as the start of Gen Y Child Centric Culture and the 2003-2004 School year as the end of Gen Y Child Centric Culture.

2004-2005 and 2005-2006 would be cusp years between Gen Y & Gen Z Child Centric Culture. Similarly I see the 1986-1987 and 1987-1988 school years as the cusp years between Gen X & Gen Y Child Centric Culture

Written By: mqg96 on 12/14/15 at 9:12 pm

Eazy-EMAN1995, Zelek2, and Ocarinafan96 all have the correct answers.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/14/15 at 9:48 pm

Yeah if were going by the 2001 and on definition of Plurals then I would say child centric culture began around in the 2006-2007 school year.

I see the 1988-1989 School Year as the start of Gen Y Child Centric Culture and the 2003-2004 School year as the end of Gen Y Child Centric Culture.

2004-2005 and 2005-2006 would be cusp years between Gen Y & Gen Z Child Centric Culture. Similarly I see the 1986-1987 and 1987-1988 school years as the cusp years between Gen X & Gen Y Child Centric Culture

I'd say 1989-1990 school year was the beginning of Gen Y kid culture, but like I say sometimes to each his own.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/14/15 at 9:57 pm

I'd say 1989-1990 school year was the beginning of Gen Y kid culture, but like I say sometimes to each his own.

I guess that makes sense, especially since the NES & TurtleMania were at their peak in that school year!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/14/15 at 10:01 pm

1996/97-2003/04 peak of Gen Y kid culture

2004/05 and 2005/06 Gen Y kid culture slowly ending, 2004-05 school year was still more on the Y side.

2005-06 school year Gen Z kid culture was slowly creeping in; Naruto and Ben 10 debuted, HSM and Hannah Montana debuted during the second half of the school year, Justice League Unlimited and Teen Titans ended, Kids WB and Disney Channel went through dramatic changes, Cartoon Network city ended, Yu gi Oh ended, Original Pokemon voice cast left(Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart), XBOX 360 debuted, 6th gen gaming's prime was ending. Overall a lot of things changed regarding kid culture that season.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/14/15 at 11:11 pm

Late '00s. The Hannah Montana craze was to Generation Z what Pokemania was to Millennials.  Gen Z teen culture began in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe".

Written By: #Infinity on 12/15/15 at 12:43 am

Late '00s. The Hannah Montana craze was to Generation Z what Pokemania was to Millennials.  Gen Z teen culture began in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe".

You mean Turtlemania and/or Nintendomania.  Pokémon was a mid-late Millennial Generation craze; it certainly wasn't targeted at early Y'ers like Doug Walker, who has consistently made a point of not growing up with Pokémon at all.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/15/15 at 6:49 am

Actually I think Hannah Montana was to Gen Z what Clarissa Explains It All was to Gen Y, meaning they were popular with kids who were born in the earlier sections of their respected generations or in some cases the late portions of the previous generations. Like #infinity said, someone like Doug Walker who's on the cusp of X & Y was too old for Pokemon, but he certainly could've of watched Clarissa Explains It All.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 7:33 am

Yeah, you're comparing a franchise primarily targeted towards little girls to a franchise that was targeted towards not just young boys, but even older boys, young teen boys, and even a group of girls as well. Hannah Montana started when I was 10 and peaked throughout the late 2000's, when I first laid my eyes on it the plot of the show felt too cheesy, girly, and uncomfortable for me to watch, even as a 10 year old. However, my sister two years younger than me was obsessed with it. I could see somebody born in 1988 being 11 in 1999 easily being hooked into Pokemon just like the 6 to 9 year old's at the time. Pokemon, whether it was the Pokemania/cards in its prime (1998-2001) or the Pokemon show in its prime during 1st generation series (1998-2003), appealed to a large audience of people (both boys & girls) kids and young teens, unlike Hannah Montana which only appealed to young girls. It was rare for a boy around age 10 & up to enjoy Hannah Montana.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/15/15 at 12:02 pm

Yeah, you're comparing a franchise primarily targeted towards little girls to a franchise that was targeted towards not just young boys, but even older boys, young teen boys, and even a group of girls as well. Hannah Montana started when I was 10 and peaked throughout the late 2000's, when I first laid my eyes on it the plot of the show felt too cheesy, girly, and uncomfortable for me to watch, even as a 10 year old. However, my sister two years younger than me was obsessed with it. I could see somebody born in 1988 being 11 in 1999 easily being hooked into Pokemon just like the 6 to 9 year old's at the time. Pokemon, whether it was the Pokemania/cards in its prime (1998-2001) or the Pokemon show in its prime during 1st generation series (1998-2003), appealed to a large audience of people (both boys & girls) kids and young teens, unlike Hannah Montana which only appealed to young girls. It was rare for a boy around age 10 & up to enjoy Hannah Montana.

I do agree with this.  Hannah Montana primarily appealed to young girls while Pokemon's appeal was much broader.  However, it is comparable in that in 2008 you could hardly get away from it.  Hannah Montana stuff was everywhere.

I have no idea what young guys would have been into at the time as I was already in my early twenties and oblivious to kid culture.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 12:14 pm

I do agree with this.  Hannah Montana primarily appealed to young girls while Pokemon's appeal was much broader.  However, it is comparable in that in 2008 you could hardly get away from it.  Hannah Montana stuff was everywhere.

I have no idea what young guys would have been into at the time as I was already in my early twenties and oblivious to kid culture.

I remember throughout the entire late 2000's every time you went to Walmart it would be Hannah Montana stuff EVERYWHERE in the toy section or blanket section 8-P

I associate Hannah Montana with late 2000's culture without a question.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/15/15 at 1:21 pm

I am at the beginning of Generation Z and I would say that the Chidhood Era really started around 2005-2006 when the Wii and High school Musical came out, everyone my age was obsessed with this.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/15/15 at 1:40 pm

I am at the beginning of Generation Z and I would say that the Chidhood Era really started around 2005-2006 when the Wii and High school Musical came out, everyone my age was obsessed with this.

That would be more 2006-2007, school year wise. 2005-2006, was a transitional school year between Y & Z Kid Culture although it was leaning more on the Z side by then.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/15/15 at 1:46 pm

In other demographics this how I would divide it:

Gen X Kid Culture
1971-1972 School Year - 1987-1988 School Year

Gen X/Y Kid Culture Leaning X: 1988-1989

Gen X/YKid Culture Leaning Y: 1989-1990

Gen Y Kid Culture
1990-1991 School Year - 2003-2004 School Year

Gen Y/Z Kid Culture Leaning Y: 2004-2005

Gen Y/Z Kid Culture Leaning Z: 2005-2006

Gen Z Kid Culture
2006-2007 to approximately the 2019-2020 School Year...?

Do you guys think this is accurate?

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 2:11 pm

I remember people as old as middle school getting into High School Musical, boys and girls. It was the most viewed Disney Channel original movie in the history of the network at the time. The movie may have been bad by some people including myself, but a lot of the songs (if you're a fan of teen pop music) in the movie and the personality of each characters (big names) is what got people into the movie. The franchise was so popular that it got a 2nd movie and a theatrical 3rd movie. I have a female cousin born in 1994 and she enjoyed High School Musical, but she thought Hannah Montana was bad though. The height of popularity High School Musical had by elementary school and some middle school folks was the height of popularity Cheetah Girls had in 2003. Hannah Montana was ONLY popular by young girls in elementary school like I said before. Different audiences for each of 'em. Either way, in my opinion, it was the reason Disney Channel began to turn in a different direction which became fully noticeable by 2007. That's for another topic though. Personally for me, looking back at High School Musical, it was a creative movie, but it's just that I was and have never been a fan of teenybopper music, which is why I didn't like it. (same way I feel about Cheetah Girls btw).

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 2:13 pm

Also, the Wii did not come out during the 2005-2006 school year. High School Musical did though, in January. The Wii came out during the 2006-2007 school year and peaked during the 2007-2008 school year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/15/15 at 4:43 pm

Also, the Wii did not come out during the 2005-2006 school year. High School Musical did though, in January. The Wii came out during the 2006-2007 school year and peaked during the 2007-2008 school year.

Yeah he meant to say the 2006-07 school year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/15/15 at 4:46 pm

I remember people as old as middle school getting into High School Musical, boys and girls. It was the most viewed Disney Channel original movie in the history of the network at the time. The movie may have been bad by some people including myself, but a lot of the songs (if you're a fan of teen pop music) in the movie and the personality of each characters (big names) is what got people into the movie. The franchise was so popular that it got a 2nd movie and a theatrical 3rd movie. I have a female cousin born in 1994 and she enjoyed High School Musical, but she thought Hannah Montana was bad though. The height of popularity High School Musical had by elementary school and some middle school folks was the height of popularity Cheetah Girls had in 2003. Hannah Montana was ONLY popular by young girls in elementary school like I said before. Different audiences for each of 'em. Either way, in my opinion, it was the reason Disney Channel began to turn in a different direction which became fully noticeable by 2007. That's for another topic though. Personally for me, looking back at High School Musical, it was a creative movie, but it's just that I was and have never been a fan of teenybopper music, which is why I didn't like it. (same way I feel about Cheetah Girls btw).

Yeah Hannah Montana was only popular with those born in 1997 and under. My class didn't like it and the class below me weren't that big fans of it either. But the 1997-98 born(2016 class) were the first ones I noticed that were fans of the series.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 5:02 pm

Yeah Hannah Montana was only popular with those born in 1997 and under. My class didn't like it and the class below me weren't that big fans of it either. But the 1997-98 born(2016 class) were the first ones I noticed that were fans of the series.

Yep, my oldest sister was born in August 1998, and she's one of the youngest of the Class of 2016, and she loved that show. When I showed her the classic Disney Channel & Toon Disney stuff On Demand that just got added recently under the "Fa-la-la-lidays" section. The first thing that came to her mind was "hey I wanna see Hannah Montana" and I'm like "whaaaaa... how about all the other classic stuff on there other than that, c'mon Jazzy you can do better than that!" Also, I distinctly remember being in my 6th grade math class and a lot of boys were hating on the show or making fun of it.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/15/15 at 6:20 pm

Yep, my oldest sister was born in August 1998, and she's one of the youngest of the Class of 2016, and she loved that show. When I showed her the classic Disney Channel & Toon Disney stuff On Demand that just got added recently under the "Fa-la-la-lidays" section. The first thing that came to her mind was "hey I wanna see Hannah Montana" and I'm like "whaaaaa... how about all the other classic stuff on there other than that, c'mon Jazzy you can do better than that!" Also, I distinctly remember being in my 6th grade math class and a lot of boys were hating on the show or making fun of it.

Damn she's only two years younger than us and she would rather watch crap like Hannah Montana instead of quality shows like Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop... WTF!?

Lol I'm just kidding  ;D but in all seriousness though does she remember Toon Disney? Because I have friends from 98 who most certainly remember TD, so this is a shock for me  :o

Anyways I personally wasn't a big fan of Hannah Montana either when it first came out. I do remember watching High School Musical a few times back when I first turned 10 and it was pretty decent. It's not the marvelous masterpiece some people hold it up to be it wasn't terribly bad either. I do agree that High School Musical was more of a tween sort of thing, those who were 10-12ish (that is the first movie, maybe the 2 &3 was more for younger kids I guess although I've never seen them so I can't judge), while Hannah Montana at the time seemed to be popular with the 9 and under crowd.

Personally if you ask me the last good year for DCOMs was probably 2003, while the lady good year for Dieney Channel as a whole was probably 2005.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/15/15 at 6:39 pm

Damn she's only two years younger than us and she would rather watch crap like Hannah Montana instead of quality shows like Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop... WTF!?

Lol I'm just kidding  ;D but in all seriousness though does she remember Toon Disney? Because I have friends from 98 who most certainly remember TD, so this is a shock for me  :o

Anyways I personally wasn't a big fan of Hannah Montana either when it first came out. I do remember watching High School Musical a few times back when I first turned 10 and it was pretty decent. It's not the marvelous masterpiece some people hold it up to be it wasn't terribly bad either. I do agree that High School Musical was more of a tween sort of thing, those who were 10-12ish (that is the first movie, maybe the 2 &3 was more for younger kids I guess although I've never seen them so I can't judge), while Hannah Montana at the time seemed to be popular with the 9 and under crowd.

Personally if you ask me the last good year for DCOMs was probably 2003, while the lady good year for Dieney Channel as a whole was probably 2005.

High School Musical is like the modern day Grease if you ask me. The way Grease was popular towards late Baby Boomers or early X would be the way High School Musical was popular towards late Y/early Z. The difference is that Grease was probably a little more mature, since according to the internet Grease was rated PG-13 while High School Musical was rated G.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/15/15 at 8:10 pm

High School Musical is like the modern day Grease if you ask me. The way Grease was popular towards late Baby Boomers or early X would be the way High School Musical was popular towards late Y/early Z. The difference is that Grease was probably a little more mature, since according to the internet Grease was rated PG-13 while High School Musical was rated G.

Yeah this is true. Also Grease's target demographic was more teens and early 20 somethings while High School Musical being Tweens and Young Teens. Funny how my mom born in 1957 falls into the Grease Cohort and I (and my sister born in 1991 to some extent) fall into the High School Musical Cohort

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/15 at 6:31 am

I would say the main cohort for high school musical was around 1992-2000 borns. Those younger than that were probably not allowed to watch it and older than that were too old to enjoy the movie. I think some younger people watched the movie when HSM 2&3 came out in 2007 and 2008. HSM1 surprisingly came out in January of 2006 so that means it was before the 2006-2007 school year but in the 2005-2006. I started Kindergarten in August of 2005 and started grade school in August of 2006. I think the Wii peaked in the 2008-2009 school year as that was around the time our family got the Wii and Wii Sports Resort came out in 2009 and was fairly popular with us kids. I also played my first Zelda game in 2009, Twilight Princess and it created my fondness for Zelda games. Suprisingly in 2009 I got something that most of you guys would think would be mostly Gen Y. I got a Gameboy Advance instead of a Nintendo DSi. I played the heck out of that Gameboy and nearly beat the game Mario Superstar Saga. I finally got a Nintendo 3DS in Christmas of 2012. I believe the transition from Y to Z really started in 2004. That was when Nick ended ALL of thier 1990s cartoons and hits. Disney finally ended Gen Y shows like Lizzie Mcguire and Even Stevens. Kim Possible still went on until 2007 and was a notable exception. In 2005 Suite Life of Zach and Cody started which was one of the first sitcoms I ever watched however I think that was a Gen Y/Z show. I think the first real Gen Z sitcom was Hannah Montana as everyone and I MEAN EVERYONE was obsessed with that show. Even some of my friends(I am a male) were like obsessed with the show. From their it was iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, Victorious, The Emperors New School, Phineas and Ferb, The Suite Life on Deck, Cory in the House, etc.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/16/15 at 7:11 am

I would say the main cohort for high school musical was around 1992-2000 borns. Those younger than that were probably not allowed to watch it and older than that were too old to enjoy the movie. I think some younger people watched the movie when HSM 2&3 came out in 2007 and 2008. HSM1 surprisingly came out in January of 2006 so that means it was before the 2006-2007 school year but in the 2005-2006. I started Kindergarten in August of 2005 and started grade school in August of 2006. I think the Wii peaked in the 2008-2009 school year as that was around the time our family got the Wii and Wii Sports Resort came out in 2009 and was fairly popular with us kids. I also played my first Zelda game in 2009, Twilight Princess and it created my fondness for Zelda games. Suprisingly in 2009 I got something that most of you guys would think would be mostly Gen Y. I got a Gameboy Advance instead of a Nintendo DSi. I played the heck out of that Gameboy and nearly beat the game Mario Superstar Saga. I finally got a Nintendo 3DS in Christmas of 2012. I believe the transition from Y to Z really started in 2004. That was when Nick ended ALL of thier 1990s cartoons and hits. Disney finally ended Gen Y shows like Lizzie Mcguire and Even Stevens. Kim Possible still went on until 2007 and was a notable exception. In 2005 Suite Life of Zach and Cody started which was one of the first sitcoms I ever watched however I think that was a Gen Y/Z show. I think the first real Gen Z sitcom was Hannah Montana as everyone and I MEAN EVERYONE was obsessed with that show. Even some of my friends(I am a male) were like obsessed with the show. From their it was iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, Victorious, The Emperors New School, Phineas and Ferb, The Suite Life on Deck, Cory in the House, etc.

I agree with all of this! BTW, I have a question. You mentioned in another thread that you believe that your Gen Z, but that you also see your bros in 96' and 97', as Gen Z as well. So my question is, when do you think Gen Z officially begins? Because someone from 96' or 97', would of already had a huge influence childhood influence well before shows like Hannah Montana and Zack & Cody came onto the scene. In fact people my age would have been bigger fans of shows from the early-mid 00's like Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, That's So Raven, and Phil of the Future

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 7:19 am

The reason I say the Wii peaked during the 2007-2008 school year is because that's when Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Boom Blox, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out. However, a lot of those games carried on through 2008-2009, and even the 2009-2010 school year too, because as I've said before, people don't get games as soon as it comes out right away. That's cool that you got the Gameboy Advance in 2009, I'd consider the peak of that to be around mid 2001-early 2005. I always thought that 2004 in somewhat of a way was the transition from Y to Z culture as a full year too. However, I'd go with the 2004-early 2006 period as the transition as many others stated. I agree that Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens were the last true Y sitcoms on Disney. The Y/Z cusp shows would be That's So Raven and Phil of the Future. The Suite Life series is the first true Z show IMO, since it lasted from 2005-2011, however, I only liked seasons 1 & 2 of the original one. Might I add on that The Proud Family would probably be the last true Y cartoon, because while it lasted from 2001-2005, the majority of its episodes were from 2001-2003, after 2003 there were barely any new episodes spread out throughout 2004 & 2005 before the final movie. Everything else you said is spot on.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/16/15 at 9:06 am

Here is an updated post on my opinion on the cultural changes for child centric culture

In other demographics this is how I would divide it:

Gen X Kid Culture

GhVk49a7c6g

http://2014.filmfestival.tcm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MuppetM_470x350.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1c/39/51/1c3951b42b75ef73ee442b0efc67f7b3.jpg

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/but-not-simpler/files/2014/03/6661567671_f97c0b14ff_o.jpg

https://seriezreleases.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/transformers.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4004/4437706046_ea49aeebbd_b.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Super_Friends.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071004224933/muppet/images/1/17/Sesame_Street_Characters.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/heman/images/d/d3/He-man.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110826225326

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_270,w_580/t_mp_quality/liwfvxcthvks0gjpke2m/gi-joe-needs-a-reboot-and-here-s-the-perfect-cast-gi-joe-time-to-do-it-properly-537840.jpg

https://ronekissrichmond.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/fat-albert-02.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Inspector_Gadget_DIC_animated_series_title_card.png

http://reenied.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Electric-Company-1.jpg

http://atariage.com/2600/hacks/screenshots/s_SpaceInvaders_RK_Hack_2.png

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/avgn/images/d/dc/50-ToyHallofFame-atari-2600-game-system.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130818021209

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2015/03/nintendo_nes.jpg

http://www.kirinhobby.com/shop/images/TY/TYTK01821_01.jpg

Generation X/Y Era: 1988-1990

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r9oYR6OV2eg/maxresdefault.jpg

Gen Y Kid Culture

UYxfyKVoafs

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~marcus/ren_stimpy/Ren_and_Stimpy-opening-3.jpg

http://anitasnotebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The-Story-Behind-The-Rugrats-TV-Show.jpg

http://lenkom.org/p/2015/11/x-men-cartoon-8h38wbpx.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Darkwing_Duck_(animation)_title_card.jpg

http://epguides.com/DextersLaboratory/cast.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/powerrangers/images/c/c4/Poster-mmpr2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120120110119

http://epguides.com/Recess/cast.gif

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Powerpuff_girls_characters.jpg

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/as_told_by_ginger-show.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Lizzie_OST.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/g8rsni6hyxkdiy42imzs.jpg

https://haca.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/hey-arnold.jpg

http://whoinventedthe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/bopit.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starfox/images/4/4a/N64.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080827063940

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/4/42/7932420_440_1.gif/revision/latest?cb=20110306023908

http://files.mom.me/photos/2014/06/30/6-71749-mm_moonshoes-1404164697.jpg

Generation Y/Z Era: 2004-2006

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fairlyoddparents/images/c/c4/Intro-00096.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121011155930&path-prefix=en

Gen Z Kid Culture

XCsAYCC12dA

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/images/CMScontent/Image/HannahMontana.jpg

http://savvyauntie.com/Admin/Images/Article/Thumb288x201/Article_backyardigans_1846355244.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/jgquintel/images/f/f6/Camp-Lazlo.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120318161510

http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/Ben10Wallpaper3800.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19700000/-chowder-the-bunny-boy-rabbit-thing-19772660-600-750.jpg

http://www.toonopolis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/51cINRTMowL._SX500_.jpg

http://www.littleorbit.com/images/penguins-logo.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Destroy_Build_Destroy.jpg

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/adventure-time-screensaver_1.png?w=301&h=202&crop=1

http://www.cartoonwatcher.com/phineas-and-ferb/phineas-and-ferb-characters/phineas-and-ferb-01.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/steven-universe/images/e/ec/Su-key-art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141229130508

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gravityfalls/images/8/8b/Six_strange_tales.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131111015414

http://freeangrybirdsgame.org/images/angry-birds-online.png

http://www.mainlinetoday.com/Main-Line-Today/November-2010/Silly-Bandz-Invasion/end-of-silly_bands09-nov10_ms2.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/7781/1626677-wallpaper_74982.jpg

http://www.ps4home.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PS4-00.jpg

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/15 at 10:19 am

I agree with all of this! BTW, I have a question. You mentioned in another thread that you believe that your Gen Z, but that you also see your bros in 96' and 97', as Gen Z as well. So my question is, when do you think Gen Z officially begins? Because someone from 96' or 97', would of already had a huge influence childhood influence well before shows like Hannah Montana and Zack & Cody came onto the scene. In fact people my age would have been bigger fans of shows from the early-mid 00's like Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, That's So Raven, and Phil of the Future

I believe their is this weird period between mid 1996-early 1998 where one can relate to both generations. My brother who was born in August of 1996 and my other brother born in September of 1997 have childhood memories of the very late 1990s and early 2000s however they really did not start watching Disney and such until 2004-2005 almost the exact same time I did. They had earlier influences on technology, they actually used floopy disks and such outdated technology. I grew up with cds and remember Windows 98, 2000 and definitely XP the most.
I would say my oldest brother is leaning Y but has Z characteristics, 2nd oldest(1997) definitely is leaning more Z than Y but had a childhood similar to Late Gen Y.
My thing
1979-early 1996(Classes of 1997-2014) Gen Y
Y/Z Overlap Late 1996-Mid 1998(Classes of 2015-2016)
Generation Z For sure August 1998-July 2010?(Preliminary take this with a grain of salt)(Classes of 2017-2029 :o)
I agree with the chart above too it is fairly accurate thank you!

(

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 10:31 am

Angry Birds is an app game I remember people all ages being addicted to, whether it was kids in elementary school or teens in high school. That's just from my viewpoint. I think you jumped from the completely Y kid cultural stuff to the completely Z stuff in a huge gap. Ben 10 is the only one from your Z section I associate with my childhood. As for your Y section, half of the stuff would be before my time while the other half would be part of my early to core childhood. I think you're missing a lot of Y/Z cusp cultural kid stuff like 6th generation gaming (oh wait my bad you did post a PS2) or hit shows like Teen Titans, Fairly Odd Parents (in its prime), Drake & Josh, or That's So Raven.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 10:46 am

I believe their is this weird period between mid 1996-early 1998 where one can relate to both generations. My brother who was born in August of 1996 and my other brother born in September of 1997 have childhood memories of the very late 1990s and early 2000s however they really did not start watching Disney and such until 2004-2005 almost the exact same time I did.

Was your brother in the Class of 2014? He must have started watching Disney really late. However, everybody is different. Everybody started playing video games at different times or watching their favorite TV shows at different times. I started playing video games much later than watching TV. I didn't get into gaming until 2003 when I was 7. See for me, when it comes to cartoons, I got into them easily when I was 5. However, live-action shows on TV I didn't get into until I was 7. 2001-2002 when I was 5 & 6 I only watched Cartoon Network and Toon Disney. I remember being in Kindergarten and 1st grade how live-action sitcoms would bore me to death and I could only watch cartoons for some odd reason. I remember Disney Channel's old Zoog look before 2003 but it was more off and on then and I hardly watched it unless I was with my cousins, but by the summer before 2nd grade I started watching Disney Channel more often, because I was introduced to a shows like "That's So Raven" and "Sister Sister", and I said to myself "real life shows aren't so boring, they actually teach you some moral lessons...."  By 2nd grade I was watching a mixture of live-action and cartoons on all the channels. Same goes for Nickelodeon too, which I'd watch a lot more with my cousins. The target audience for kid channels have always been ages 6-11 year old's. So people can be watching kid stations as early as 5 and be into kid stations as late as 12 if they want to. It's their choice.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/16/15 at 11:04 am

Angry Birds is an app game I remember people all ages being addicted to, whether it was kids in elementary school or teens in high school. That's just from my viewpoint. I think you jumped from the completely Y kid cultural stuff to the completely Z stuff in a huge gap. Ben 10 is the only one from your Z section I associate with my childhood. As for your Y section, half of the stuff would be before my time while the other half would be part of my early to core childhood. I think you're missing a lot of Y/Z cusp cultural kid stuff like 6th generation gaming (oh wait my bad you did post a PS2) or hit shows like Teen Titans, Fairly Odd Parents (in its prime), Drake & Josh, or That's So Raven.

True, I was trying to stick with shows that reprsented their respected generations, as shows like TMNT are pretty hard to categorize since they spanned both in the X & Y eras and shows like Fairly Odd Parents spanned in both Y & Z eras.

However I will change it though so it will include shows that are on the cusp!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/16/15 at 11:06 am

I believe their is this weird period between mid 1996-early 1998 where one can relate to both generations. My brother who was born in August of 1996 and my other brother born in September of 1997 have childhood memories of the very late 1990s and early 2000s however they really did not start watching Disney and such until 2004-2005 almost the exact same time I did. They had earlier influences on technology, they actually used floopy disks and such outdated technology. I grew up with cds and remember Windows 98, 2000 and definitely XP the most.
I would say my oldest brother is leaning Y but has Z characteristics, 2nd oldest(1997) definitely is leaning more Z than Y but had a childhood similar to Late Gen Y.
My thing
1979-early 1996(Classes of 1997-2014) Gen Y
Y/Z Overlap Late 1996-Mid 1998(Classes of 2015-2016)
Generation Z For sure August 1998-July 2010?(Preliminary take this with a grain of salt)(Classes of 2017-2029 :o)
I agree with the chart above too it is fairly accurate thank you!

(

Thanks! And This is a pretty interesting view on generations, I'm curious as to why you start Y with 79' borns though

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 12:02 pm

Thanks! And This is a pretty interesting view on generations, I'm curious as to why you start Y with 79' borns though

1979 is still X to me, but around the tail end though.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/16/15 at 12:08 pm

1979 is still X to me, but around the tail end though.

Yeah I agree!

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/15 at 12:22 pm

I guess watching some 9/11 videos made me realize that anyone from 1979-1982 were very young adults when it happened(Those twentysomethings in New York in interviews that were in college at the time.) but I dont know I guess I feel like in some things Gen Y starts either too early(1976) or too late(1984). Its a little hard to decipher and I feel like anyone born from 1976-1983 are like a micro generation because they are almost like a Gen X/Y hybrid. They grew up and came of age right when the economy was reaching its peak(1994-2001) and did not feel the horrible job market for early Gen X(My Mom and Dad) and recession of the early 90s'(Statistics say this was from June 1990-March 1991 but I think it was from June 1990-January 1992 or even the summer of 1992 as the unemployment rate didnt peak until almost two years after the recession was over and the gdp did not really start growing until early 1993.) Its confusing but I went with 1979 as a medium between the two extremes of where Gen Y starts.

Was your brother in the Class of 2014? He must have started watching Disney really late. However, everybody is different. Everybody started playing video games at different times or watching their favorite TV shows at different times. I started playing video games much later than watching TV. I didn't get into gaming until 2003 when I was 7. See for me, when it comes to cartoons, I got into them easily when I was 5. However, live-action shows on TV I didn't get into until I was 7. 2001-2002 when I was 5 & 6 I only watched Cartoon Network and Toon Disney. I remember being in Kindergarten and 1st grade how live-action sitcoms would bore me to death and I could only watch cartoons for some odd reason. I remember Disney Channel's old Zoog look before 2003 but it was more off and on then and I hardly watched it unless I was with my cousins, but by the summer before 2nd grade I started watching Disney Channel more often, because I was introduced to a shows like "That's So Raven" and "Sister Sister", and I said to myself "real life shows aren't so boring, they actually teach you some moral lessons...."  By 2nd grade I was watching a mixture of live-action and cartoons on all the channels. Same goes for Nickelodeon too, which I'd watch a lot more with my cousins. The target audience for kid channels have always been ages 6-11 year old's. So people can be watching kid stations as early as 5 and be into kid stations as late as 12 if they want to. It's their choice.

Yeah I played the Gamecube at my cousins house a lot but our family did not get a home video game system until 2008, The Wii. We were raised in a fairly strict household at an early age and my mom and dad thought that most the stuff on Disney and Nick was bad in the early 2000s. We mostly watched PBS Kids shows such as arthur(one of the best kids shows ever IMO) Fetch! with Ruffruffman, etc. However by the mid 2000s they softened up and allowed us to watch kid shows on those channels. So my brothers were exposed to kids shows a little bit later than usual.
I remember in 2004 or 2005 watching the Proud Family and the Lilo and Stitch the series, two cartoons that started in the Gen Y kids period.
My brothers were born in August and September of 1996 and 1997 respectively and are the Classes of 2015 and 2016.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 12:39 pm

Yeah I played the Gamecube at my cousins house a lot but our family did not get a home video game system until 2008, The Wii. We were raised in a fairly strict household at an early age and my mom and dad thought that most the stuff on Disney and Nick was bad in the early 2000s. We mostly watched PBS Kids shows such as arthur(one of the best kids shows ever IMO) Fetch! with Ruffruffman, etc. However by the mid 2000s they softened up and allowed us to watch kid shows on those channels. So my brothers were exposed to kids shows a little bit later than usual.
I remember in 2004 or 2005 watching the Proud Family and the Lilo and Stitch the series, two cartoons that started in the Gen Y kids period.
My brothers were born in August and September of 1996 and 1997 respectively and are the Classes of 2015 and 2016.

Damn that sucks. Although my mom thought Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon were too violent, and she hated Ed, Edd n Eddy and Dave the Barbarian for some reason. However, I still sneaked and watched all of those shows regardless and turned quickly whenever I heard footsteps. She was completely find with many of the other cartoons I watched, she didn't even cared if I watched Spongebob when I was little. (I remember tons of parents not allowing their kids to watch Spongebob due to its suggestive humor) Funny thing is, my mom never had any problem with early 2000's Disney Channel shows, but had some problems with cartoons she thought was too violent that I listed, which was weird. Then I know some parents who didn't allow their kids to watch shows like Lizzie McGuire or Zoey 101 because they didn't like the way the people dressed in the shows and thought it was inappropriate for kids. So all parents (especially moms) have their own weird reasons which didn't make since to me as a young kid. My dad didn't care what I watched on TV growing up. When ever it was just my dad in the house while my mom was gone I was free to watch anything. Just to let you know, most of my time watching preschool shows was from 1998-2001. Preschool and pre-K I only watched preschool shows. Kindergarten I watched a mixture of big kid shows and little kid shows, then by summer 2002 before 1st grade began I only watched big kid shows and was no longer into preschool shows, however, in 1st through 3rd grade I still watched Arthur, Berenstain Bears, Liberty Kids, or Cyberchase sometimes. A lot of PBS Kids' afternoon shows were more like educational shows rather than little kid/preschool shows in the early mornings.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 12:47 pm

The Proud Family is the last true Y cartoon from Disney IMO, since the majority was its run was from 2001-2003, and barely had any episodes around 2004-2005 before the final movie. Lilo & Stitch started in late 2003 and ran through 2006, so that's Y/Z cusp IMO. The first Y/Z cusp cartoon from Disney would definitely be Kim Possible, since it ran from 2002-2007. It was the longest running Disney Channel cartoon from that era until Phineas & Ferb came out. Although, most of my memories from Kim Possible are from 2002-2005 until the "So Not the Drama" movie. I hardly remember watching the last season of Kim Possible in 2007, since by then I had dazed off the network.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/15 at 2:48 pm

Here is an updated post on my opinion on the cultural changes for child centric culture

In other demographics this is how I would divide it:

Gen X Kid Culture

GhVk49a7c6g

http://2014.filmfestival.tcm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MuppetM_470x350.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1c/39/51/1c3951b42b75ef73ee442b0efc67f7b3.jpg

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/but-not-simpler/files/2014/03/6661567671_f97c0b14ff_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4004/4437706046_ea49aeebbd_b.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Super_Friends.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071004224933/muppet/images/1/17/Sesame_Street_Characters.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/heman/images/d/d3/He-man.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110826225326

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_270,w_580/t_mp_quality/liwfvxcthvks0gjpke2m/gi-joe-needs-a-reboot-and-here-s-the-perfect-cast-gi-joe-time-to-do-it-properly-537840.jpg

https://ronekissrichmond.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/fat-albert-02.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Inspector_Gadget_DIC_animated_series_title_card.png

http://reenied.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Electric-Company-1.jpg

http://atariage.com/2600/hacks/screenshots/s_SpaceInvaders_RK_Hack_2.png

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/avgn/images/d/dc/50-ToyHallofFame-atari-2600-game-system.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130818021209

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2015/03/nintendo_nes.jpg

http://www.kirinhobby.com/shop/images/TY/TYTK01821_01.jpg

Generation X/Y Era: 1988-1990

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r9oYR6OV2eg/maxresdefault.jpg

Gen Y Kid Culture

UYxfyKVoafs

http://anitasnotebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The-Story-Behind-The-Rugrats-TV-Show.jpg

http://lenkom.org/p/2015/11/x-men-cartoon-8h38wbpx.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Darkwing_Duck_(animation)_title_card.jpg

http://epguides.com/DextersLaboratory/cast.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/powerrangers/images/c/c4/Poster-mmpr2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120120110119

http://epguides.com/Recess/cast.gif

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Powerpuff_girls_characters.jpg

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/as_told_by_ginger-show.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Lizzie_OST.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/g8rsni6hyxkdiy42imzs.jpg

https://haca.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/hey-arnold.jpg

http://whoinventedthe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/bopit.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starfox/images/4/4a/N64.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080827063940

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/4/42/7932420_440_1.gif/revision/latest?cb=20110306023908

http://files.mom.me/photos/2014/06/30/6-71749-mm_moonshoes-1404164697.jpg

Generation Y/Z Era: 2004-2006

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fairlyoddparents/images/c/c4/Intro-00096.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121011155930&path-prefix=en

Gen Z Kid Culture

XCsAYCC12dA

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/images/CMScontent/Image/HannahMontana.jpg

http://savvyauntie.com/Admin/Images/Article/Thumb288x201/Article_backyardigans_1846355244.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/jgquintel/images/f/f6/Camp-Lazlo.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120318161510

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19700000/-chowder-the-bunny-boy-rabbit-thing-19772660-600-750.jpg

http://www.toonopolis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/51cINRTMowL._SX500_.jpg

http://www.littleorbit.com/images/penguins-logo.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Destroy_Build_Destroy.jpg

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/adventure-time-screensaver_1.png?w=301&h=202&crop=1

http://www.cartoonwatcher.com/phineas-and-ferb/phineas-and-ferb-characters/phineas-and-ferb-01.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/steven-universe/images/e/ec/Su-key-art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141229130508

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gravityfalls/images/8/8b/Six_strange_tales.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131111015414

http://www.mainlinetoday.com/Main-Line-Today/November-2010/Silly-Bandz-Invasion/end-of-silly_bands09-nov10_ms2.jpg

http://www.ps4home.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PS4-00.jpg

Yes, it looks correct.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/16/15 at 3:43 pm

This is how I would divide the kid culture generations, going by school years:

Early X:  1969-1970 to 1975-1976

Culture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/School_House_Rock!.png

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17100000/Scooby-Doo-Where-Are-You-Hassle-in-the-Castle-1-03-scooby-doo-17176403-1067-800.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Pp_show_03.JPEG

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/8/83/SS1969Cast.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100120055633

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/o_mr-rogers-neighborhood-dvd-set-1fd5_large.jpg?v=1410792527

Core X:  1976-1977 to 1982-1983

Culture:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01643/pac-man1_1643805i.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/boomerang-from-cartoon-network/images/0/08/Captain_Caveman_and_Son.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130731162120

http://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/star-wars_0.jpg

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/itemimages/000054/54998a_lg.jpeg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/The_Smurfs_(1981_TV_series)_title_card.jpg

Late X:  1983-1984 to 1987-1988

Culture:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UWErkw8eL._SX940_.jpg

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/he-man.jpg

http://www.pictures88.com/p/care_bears/care_bears_008.jpg

http://nameberry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cabbagepatch-618x412.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/G.I._Joe_Cartoon_1985_Title.jpg

Early Y:  1988-1989 to 1992-1993

Culture:

https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/tmnt-1987.jpg

http://www.popoptiq.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NES-01.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Tinytoons.jpg

https://loftcinema.com/files/2013/11/Home-Alone-1-v3.png

http://thesupernaughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/mar_rgb2.jpg

https://thetoplister.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/disney-renassanse-1.jpg

http://pixelatedpop.com/sites/default/files/u3/What%20Nintendon't.jpg

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/visualhistory/sonic/sonic_1_1991.jpg

http://nick-intl.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:file:gsp:scenic:/international/nickelodeon.com.au/images/shows/ren-and-stimpy/property-header-ren-and-stimpy-480x270.png?height=0&width=480&matte=true&crop=false

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517pJfLbpfL._SY300_.jpg

Core Y:  1993-1994 to 1998-1999

Culture:

http://images.vcpost.com/data/images/full/32674/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-will-be-having-its-reboot.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/animaniacs/images/c/c9/Animaniacs.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20140603004922

http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images/90s-fad-pogs-640x533.jpg

http://i0.wp.com/www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Bill-Nye-640x350.jpg

http://movies.mxdwn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/goosebumps.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Rocko_title_card.jpg

http://anime.falseblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/sailor-moon.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Spider-Man_(1994_TV_series)_title_screen.png

http://s.sidereel.com/tv_shows/37615/giant_2x/boymeetsworld.jpg

https://fanart.tv/fanart/tv/72885/tvthumb/Gargoyles-72885-2.png

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_360,w_640/t_mp_quality/ojmumczevc3ec9anahmj/it-s-no-use-crying-over-spilt-soda-we-discover-the-truth-behind-kenan-kel-s-fall-out-597105.jpg

Late Y:  1999-2000 to 2005-2006

Culture:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/nintendo/pokemon/ronpaul/pokemon_pikachu_misty_pok_m.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerer's_Stone.jpg

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/shows/banner_191.jpg

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/gameboy_color_external_hard_drive_3.jpg

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/powerpuff-girls-4-ever-wallpaper.gif

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/51mD4Im5ePU/hqdefault.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ssb/images/3/3a/Bloggamecube.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140712200626

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JTF3E011L._SX355_.jpg

http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/482a99a1ac3e3f14a21687eb4f1b32cdbe1c719d.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Uc7-Tb1uD8s/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.picgifs.com/wallpapers/wallpapers/yu-gi-oh/yugioh-com-004.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/a/a7/Game-boy-advance-nintendo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140526012431

Early Z:  2006-2007 to 2010-2011

Culture:

https://grandmakissedasailor.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/hannah-montana-images-miley-stewart-vs-hannah-montana-15236015-800-600-disneychannel.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9200000/Fosters-fosters-home-for-imaginary-friends-9252552-570-370.jpg

https://theinquisitiveloon.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/avatar-the-last-airbender-poster.jpg

http://ib1.huluim.com/show_key_art/1304?size=1600x600&region=US

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Kw516moFL.jpg

http://aretheyoldenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/penguins_of_madagascar-wide.jpg

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/open-uri20150422-12561-w440zj_bc194833.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C997%2C1545

Core Z:  2011-2012 to present

Culture:

https://reviewsbyde.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/adventure-time-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-34444893-1680-1050.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/tremr/image/upload/jrukfukjzehsxfbwxzvv.jpg

http://www.toysrus.com/cms_widgets/26/00/2600576_assets/FrozenBP.jpg

http://dt.ecumenicalnews.com/full/9916/girl-meets-world.jpg

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/74ceujl9q_GBqTvqj9t5QnsJZMA2qHLF/3Yj-C07nmFfp05fB7_z54lMI3VsyQ5SR.jpg

http://www.nintendo.com/images/page/3ds/new-nintendo-3ds/hardware-hero.png

http://www.nintendo.com/images/page/wiiu/features/hero-1.jpg

Late Z:  2016-2017 to ??? (speculative)

Culture:

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/star-wars-1-640x397.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_400,w_620/t_mp_quality/yfafzq6b4x4al8jfrgai/first-look-at-disney-s-newest-princess-let-s-welcome-moana-574060.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/The_Powerpuff_Girls_(2016)_promotional_poster.jpg

http://images.bidnessetc.com/img/is-nintendo-stepping-into-the-right-direction-with-the-nintendo-nx.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 6:43 pm

Here's how I view things. I'll divide it into late Y, Y/Z, and early Z. I'm not going to do core Y & before or core Z to present since that's not really part of my generation and I don't want to make a mistake on it. I won't be including school years since a lot of these fad's lasted gradually in different spans. Some might disagree with where I have things put, but I'm going by based off the peak of popularity by different crowds I've known for a long time.

Late Y Culture
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/avgn/images/9/93/Original-Nintendo-64.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130818025252 http://www.nerdscentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/playstation-1995-1.jpg http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/gameboy_color_external_hard_drive_3.jpg http://orig14.deviantart.net/d4a2/f/2013/235/4/d/pokemon_card___ash__misty__brock_y_pikachu_by_adfpf1-d6jexcj.png http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/253038/p253038_b_v7_ah.jpg http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/482a99a1ac3e3f14a21687eb4f1b32cdbe1c719d.jpg http://culturecrossfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Hey_Arnold_by_Hey_Arnold_Fans.jpg http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/16/even-stevens-500x372c.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/pepperann/images/6/6d/Pepper_Ann_2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130305201550 http://images3.alphacoders.com/204/20485.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/413071/p413071_b_v7_aa.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/349976/p349976_b_v7_aa.jpg http://www.awn.com/sites/default/files/image/featured/1015034-netflix-uk-cartoon-network-ink-deal.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/cartoondatabase/images/e/e2/Courage-the-cowardly-dog-0-1-.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120423175400 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/4/49/Supermantasfront.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130319220011 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/0/0a/Qyo3xBmnCYZ8I6E.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140327183248 https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxxmheEJ781qm1uk9.jpg http://static.tumblr.com/j6gxpx4/7f4m3zcui/arthurr2.gif http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/184385/p184385_b_v7_aa.jpg http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11121/111215084/4574178-android+saga.png http://images.gogoanime.tv/images/anime/G/gundam-wing1.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/astoldbyginger/images/c/cc/Wallpaper-ginger-in-her-room-writing-in-her-journal-1024x768-as-told-by-ginger-12589384-1024-768.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131008173156

Cusp Y/Z Culture

http://images.gameskinny.com/gameskinny/fe488816b2ebe6613cea00bca814102f.jpg http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/4/45/NGC_Gamecube.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080902024548 http://cdn.mos.techradar.com/art/games_consoles/originalxbox-970-80.jpg http://i.testfreaks.es/images/products/600x400/26/nintendo-game-boy-advance.439322.jpg http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/056/Video/v4/17/f0/71/17f0715c-0329-3c1e-41ae-e3aa74866b1d/mzl.wsmhbkji.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/b/b8/Phil_of_the_Future.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120408055240 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610F4A5NQAL.jpg http://www.yugioh-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Yu_Gi_Oh-TV_600x450.jpg http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110617201628/kimpossible/images/d/d9/Kim_Possible_soundtrack_cover.jpg http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/teentitans.jpg http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11123/111235780/4884845-4598520-cartoons_samurai_jack_052186_.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jimmyneutron/images/4/44/The_Adventures_of_Jimmy_Neutron_Boy_Genius_(Title_Card).png/revision/latest?cb=20131203014248 http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/grimadventures/images/0/06/The-grim-adventures-of-billy-and-mandy-44745.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120120152032 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/KNDLogo.png https://kidzshowz.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/the-proud-family-7.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/b/bb/House_of_Mouse_staff.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121109182440 http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/184854/p184854_b_v7_aa.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PVD7WbI4HrU/hqdefault.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/3/3e/YuYu_Hakusho_Toonami.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130625020956 http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/409211/p409211_b_v7_aa.jpg http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/8/82/Vlcsnap-2012-08-17-17h04m19s230.png/revision/latest?cb=20121108163745 http://fallytv.com/showinfo/74095/74095-g4.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/thecncartoonnetwork/images/e/ea/Ed-edd-n-eddy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130611172817 http://xrysoi.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/71.jpg

Early Z Culture
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1555/15553757/2909555-m_wii_console.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61yx3uRbbnL._SL1000_.jpg https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B004XABXY0.04.lg.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/08/8-20-08-psp_3000.jpg http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/beanswish/NintendoDSLitePolarWhite.jpg http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19700000/-chowder-the-bunny-boy-rabbit-thing-19772660-600-750.jpg http://tbsila.cdn.turner.com/toonla/images/cnemea/content/383/downloadable/flapjack/uk/flapjack_medium.jpg http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/Ben10Wallpaper3800.jpg http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/Archive/CampLazloWallpaper800.jpg http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121013025953/powerlisting/images/1/1f/Foster-s-Home-For-Imaginary-Friends-fosters-home-for-imaginary-friends-21056959-1024-768.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/9/98/American-Dragon-american-dragon-jake-long-577631_287_227.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120320165537 http://images.zap2it.com/assets/p186024_b_h6_aa/the-replacements.jpg https://grandmakissedasailor.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/hannah-montana-images-miley-stewart-vs-hannah-montana-15236015-800-600-disneychannel.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/johnnytest/images/d/db/JohnnyTest_by_baddcat.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090618205309 http://images.moviepostershop.com/wizards-of-waverly-place-tv-movie-poster-2007-1020411242.jpg http://is1.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/bd/01/07/mzl.qmaxvdga.jpg/600x600bb-85.jpg http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10800000/sonny-with-a-chance-season-1-2-exclusive-wallpapers-sonny-with-a-chance-10886110-1024-768.jpg http://en.kidsmusic.info/photo/naked-brothers-band/Naked-Brothers-Band-1f5b1099-2d80-4b41-93f6-1cf44989ed66.jpg http://www.testedich.de/quiz32/picture/pic_1373583011_1.jpg http://nice-cool-pics.com/data/media/18/the_suite_life_of_zack_and_cody__tv_series___2005__ashley_tisdale.jpg https://theinquisitiveloon.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/avatar-the-last-airbender-poster.jpg http://ib3.huluim.com/show_key_art/1603?size=1600x600&region=US http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/totaldramaisland/images/c/c0/Winner.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090912050450

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/16/15 at 8:38 pm

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17100000/Scooby-Doo-Where-Are-You-Hassle-in-the-Castle-1-03-scooby-doo-17176403-1067-800.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/8/83/SS1969Cast.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100120055633

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/o_mr-rogers-neighborhood-dvd-set-1fd5_large.jpg?v=1410792527

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/boomerang-from-cartoon-network/images/0/08/Captain_Caveman_and_Son.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130731162120

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/The_Smurfs_(1981_TV_series)_title_card.jpg

http://nick-intl.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:file:gsp:scenic:/international/nickelodeon.com.au/images/shows/ren-and-stimpy/property-header-ren-and-stimpy-480x270.png?height=0&width=480&matte=true&crop=false

http://images.vcpost.com/data/images/full/32674/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-will-be-having-its-reboot.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/animaniacs/images/c/c9/Animaniacs.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20140603004922

http://i0.wp.com/www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Bill-Nye-640x350.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Spider-Man_(1994_TV_series)_title_screen.png

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_360,w_640/t_mp_quality/ojmumczevc3ec9anahmj/it-s-no-use-crying-over-spilt-soda-we-discover-the-truth-behind-kenan-kel-s-fall-out-597105.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/nintendo/pokemon/ronpaul/pokemon_pikachu_misty_pok_m.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerer's_Stone.jpg

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/shows/banner_191.jpg

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/powerpuff-girls-4-ever-wallpaper.gif

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ssb/images/3/3a/Bloggamecube.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140712200626

http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/482a99a1ac3e3f14a21687eb4f1b32cdbe1c719d.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/a/a7/Game-boy-advance-nintendo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140526012431

https://grandmakissedasailor.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/hannah-montana-images-miley-stewart-vs-hannah-montana-15236015-800-600-disneychannel.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9200000/Fosters-fosters-home-for-imaginary-friends-9252552-570-370.jpg

https://theinquisitiveloon.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/avatar-the-last-airbender-poster.jpg

http://aretheyoldenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/penguins_of_madagascar-wide.jpg

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/open-uri20150422-12561-w440zj_bc194833.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C997%2C1545

https://reviewsbyde.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/adventure-time-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-34444893-1680-1050.jpg

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/74ceujl9q_GBqTvqj9t5QnsJZMA2qHLF/3Yj-C07nmFfp05fB7_z54lMI3VsyQ5SR.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_400,w_620/t_mp_quality/yfafzq6b4x4al8jfrgai/first-look-at-disney-s-newest-princess-let-s-welcome-moana-574060.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/The_Powerpuff_Girls_(2016)_promotional_poster.jpg

http://images.bidnessetc.com/img/is-nintendo-stepping-into-the-right-direction-with-the-nintendo-nx.jpg

Yours was near perfect except, I'd say the 1998-99 school year was the beginning of late y culture. That felt like that's when my main kid culture started.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/16/15 at 8:46 pm

Here's how I view things. I'll divide it into late Y, Y/Z, and early Z. I'm not going to do core Y & before or core Z to present since that's not really part of my generation and I don't want to make a mistake on it. I won't be including school years since a lot of these fad's lasted gradually in different spans. Some might disagree with where I have things put, but I'm going by based off the peak of popularity by different crowds I've known for a long time.

Late Y Culture

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/avgn/images/9/93/Original-Nintendo-64.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130818025252 http://www.nerdscentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/playstation-1995-1.jpg http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/gameboy_color_external_hard_drive_3.jpg http://orig14.deviantart.net/d4a2/f/2013/235/4/d/pokemon_card___ash__misty__brock_y_pikachu_by_adfpf1-d6jexcj.png http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/253038/p253038_b_v7_ah.jpg http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/482a99a1ac3e3f14a21687eb4f1b32cdbe1c719d.jpg http://culturecrossfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Hey_Arnold_by_Hey_Arnold_Fans.jpg http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/16/even-stevens-500x372c.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/pepperann/images/6/6d/Pepper_Ann_2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130305201550 http://images3.alphacoders.com/204/20485.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/413071/p413071_b_v7_aa.jpg http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/349976/p349976_b_v7_aa.jpg http://www.awn.com/sites/default/files/image/featured/1015034-netflix-uk-cartoon-network-ink-deal.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/cartoondatabase/images/e/e2/Courage-the-cowardly-dog-0-1-.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120423175400 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/4/49/Supermantasfront.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130319220011 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/0/0a/Qyo3xBmnCYZ8I6E.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140327183248 https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxxmheEJ781qm1uk9.jpg http://static.tumblr.com/j6gxpx4/7f4m3zcui/arthurr2.gif http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/184385/p184385_b_v7_aa.jpg http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11121/111215084/4574178-android+saga.png http://images.gogoanime.tv/images/anime/G/gundam-wing1.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/astoldbyginger/images/c/cc/Wallpaper-ginger-in-her-room-writing-in-her-journal-1024x768-as-told-by-ginger-12589384-1024-768.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131008173156

Cusp Y/Z Culture

http://images.gameskinny.com/gameskinny/fe488816b2ebe6613cea00bca814102f.jpg http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/4/45/NGC_Gamecube.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080902024548 http://cdn.mos.techradar.com/art/games_consoles/originalxbox-970-80.jpg http://i.testfreaks.es/images/products/600x400/26/nintendo-game-boy-advance.439322.jpg http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/056/Video/v4/17/f0/71/17f0715c-0329-3c1e-41ae-e3aa74866b1d/mzl.wsmhbkji.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/b/b8/Phil_of_the_Future.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120408055240 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610F4A5NQAL.jpg http://www.yugioh-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Yu_Gi_Oh-TV_600x450.jpg http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110617201628/kimpossible/images/d/d9/Kim_Possible_soundtrack_cover.jpg http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/teentitans.jpg http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11123/111235780/4884845-4598520-cartoons_samurai_jack_052186_.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jimmyneutron/images/4/44/The_Adventures_of_Jimmy_Neutron_Boy_Genius_(Title_Card).png/revision/latest?cb=20131203014248 http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/grimadventures/images/0/06/The-grim-adventures-of-billy-and-mandy-44745.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120120152032 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/KNDLogo.png https://kidzshowz.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/the-proud-family-7.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/b/bb/House_of_Mouse_staff.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121109182440 http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/184854/p184854_b_v7_aa.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PVD7WbI4HrU/hqdefault.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/3/3e/YuYu_Hakusho_Toonami.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130625020956 http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/409211/p409211_b_v7_aa.jpg http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/8/82/Vlcsnap-2012-08-17-17h04m19s230.png/revision/latest?cb=20121108163745 http://fallytv.com/showinfo/74095/74095-g4.jpg http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/thecncartoonnetwork/images/e/ea/Ed-edd-n-eddy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130611172817 http://xrysoi.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/71.jpg

Early Z Culture

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1555/15553757/2909555-m_wii_console.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61yx3uRbbnL._SL1000_.jpg https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B004XABXY0.04.lg.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/08/8-20-08-psp_3000.jpg http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/beanswish/NintendoDSLitePolarWhite.jpg http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19700000/-chowder-the-bunny-boy-rabbit-thing-19772660-600-750.jpg http://tbsila.cdn.turner.com/toonla/images/cnemea/content/383/downloadable/flapjack/uk/flapjack_medium.jpg http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/Ben10Wallpaper3800.jpg http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/Archive/CampLazloWallpaper800.jpg http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121013025953/powerlisting/images/1/1f/Foster-s-Home-For-Imaginary-Friends-fosters-home-for-imaginary-friends-21056959-1024-768.jpg http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/9/98/American-Dragon-american-dragon-jake-long-577631_287_227.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120320165537 http://images.zap2it.com/assets/p186024_b_h6_aa/the-replacements.jpg https://grandmakissedasailor.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/hannah-montana-images-miley-stewart-vs-hannah-montana-15236015-800-600-disneychannel.jpg http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/johnnytest/images/d/db/JohnnyTest_by_baddcat.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090618205309 http://images.moviepostershop.com/wizards-of-waverly-place-tv-movie-poster-2007-1020411242.jpg http://is1.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/bd/01/07/mzl.qmaxvdga.jpg/600x600bb-85.jpg http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10800000/sonny-with-a-chance-season-1-2-exclusive-wallpapers-sonny-with-a-chance-10886110-1024-768.jpg http://en.kidsmusic.info/photo/naked-brothers-band/Naked-Brothers-Band-1f5b1099-2d80-4b41-93f6-1cf44989ed66.jpg http://www.testedich.de/quiz32/picture/pic_1373583011_1.jpg http://nice-cool-pics.com/data/media/18/the_suite_life_of_zack_and_cody__tv_series___2005__ashley_tisdale.jpg https://theinquisitiveloon.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/avatar-the-last-airbender-poster.jpg http://ib3.huluim.com/show_key_art/1603?size=1600x600&region=US http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/totaldramaisland/images/c/c0/Winner.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090912050450

Just because they were before your time doesn't  mean you still couldn't have made them! Lol

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/15 at 8:53 pm

That's actually a better chart than what ocarinafan96 has. I also like of how Early Z was from 2006 to 2011.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/16/15 at 9:44 pm

No offense, but this overload of images is slowing my computer down.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 9:54 pm

Just because they were before your time doesn't  mean you still couldn't have made them! Lol

I'll be honest, I was too lazy to post too many images for the other generations. I would have easily done Core Y before my time or Core Z past my time but I didn't have time to do it.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and I have high speed internet, so it doesn't bother mine.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/16/15 at 10:06 pm

Yours was near perfect except, I'd say the 1998-99 school year was the beginning of late y culture. That felt like that's when my main kid culture started.

That's actually the one cutoff I was sort of unsure of, but I went with the following school year because the first distinctly late Y things like Pokémon, Game Boy Color, and the Powerpuff Girls weren't present at the beginning of autumn 1998 and only gradually established themselves as the school year went on (Pokémania, for example, didn't truly arrive at my school and neighborhood until about spring 1999).  Also, Cartoon Network was still mostly dominated by shows that ended before the chronological late 90s were over, such as I Am Weasel, Cow and Chicken, What a Cartoon!, and pre-revival Dexter's Laboratory; The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n Eddy, and Courage the Cowardly Dog were really the shows that brought the channel into the core of its golden age, whereas Cow & Chicken and I Am Weasel, for example, still felt distinctly 90s (the same thing applies to KaBlam!, Kenan and Kel, and The Angry Beavers on Nickelodeon).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/15 at 10:11 pm

I agree. It does make me have to scroll a lot on my browser. Although I'm using a laptop that uses with Windows 8, it doesn't make it slower.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/16/15 at 11:34 pm

One solution to the image overload problem would be to not quote every single image, especially if considering the responses so far are extremely brief.

I just finished an amendment to my original chart that focuses on the Silent and Boomer generations, but right now I'm saving it until we get to the next page.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/16/15 at 11:39 pm

Mine is going to be a little controversial, but so be it. Here it goes!
EARLY GEN X

http://file2.answcdn.com/answ-cld/image/upload/f_jpg,w_672,c_fill,g_faces:center,q_70/v1415923481/fue6x35xscuwsswkk9bp.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/o_mr-rogers-neighborhood-dvd-set-1fd5_large.jpg?v=1410792527http://cp91279.biography.com/1000509261001/1000509261001_2085990537001_Bio-Biography-Richard-Nixon-SF.jpg

CORE GEN X

http://www.profightdb.com/img/wrestlers/thumbs-600/5cd3ed0d4fbillygraham.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelanimated/images/7/7c/Spider-Man_and_His_Amazing_Friends.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151001215351

http://cp91279.biography.com/1000509261001/1000509261001_2013809394001_Bio-Biography-Jimmy-Carter-SF.jpg

LATE GEN X (1983/84-1988/89)

http://thefamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ronald-Reagan.jpg

http://www.wearesuperfamous.com/wp-content/voltron_weare.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t122/jspires22/wwf.jpg

http://cdn.gamer-network.net/2013/usgamer/NES-01.jpg

http://www.retrogamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DSC_9508_master-system-cover-extra-conrtroller.png

EARLY GEN Y (1989/90-1992/93)

http://media.salon.com/2012/11/george_h_w_bush_rect.jpg

http://img13.deviantart.net/f986/i/2014/321/f/b/tmnt__1987__by_ambarbaez-d86qzfj.png

https://www.whitheouse.gov/sites/whitheouse.gov/files/images/first-family/41_george_h_w_bush.jpg

https://taestfulreviews.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/disneyrenaissance.jpg

http://33.media.tumblr.com/70db9546990450ab1faaaee395526bbd/tumblr_inline_naooj5QhBL1sjok3e.png

http://pre10.deviantart.net/e9fc/th/pre/f/2011/213/0/e/doug_and_porkchop_by_georgegant-d42cuic.jpg

CORE GEN Y (1993/94-1997/98)

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/animaniacs/images/c/c5/Img.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130504152251

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Pinky_and_the_Brain_vol1.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/features/malu/feat0002/wof/images/wclintonPortrait.gif

http://wiiudaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/genesis-vs-snes.jpg

https://atomiclegdropzine.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/ng2.jpg?w=1200

https://mickeymindset.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/e42ff-sunnyafternoon.png

https://the500section.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/90s-sports-movies.jpg

http://breakbang.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/x-men-animated-series.jpg

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/c/80/4cbf27e1d357f.jpg

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/110/542/original/Batman-Animated-Title-2.jpg?1375384500

http://media.comicbook.com/2015/09/3438685-orig-153188.jpg

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Are-You-Afraid-Of-The-Dark.jpg

LATE GEN Y (1998/99-2005/06)

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/021/290/attitudeera_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

http://41.media.tumblr.com/bdca3cf876461b17ac756ed92bc231a6/tumblr_n1qswgJdCt1rfwfq9o1_1280.png

http://sav-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/editorial/images/savannah/mdControlled/cms/2008/11/29/361387591.jpg

http://students.expression.edu/johnherrera/files/2013/06/generationy52.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/nickelodeon/images/6/6a/The_Amanda_Show_characters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100919094700

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825195121/logopedia/images/7/78/Disney_Channel_ID_-_Zoog_Disney_Open.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ytqS1SqpNu8/maxresdefault.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/jbwarner86/998_02.jpg

https://andrewfist002.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/yu-gi-oh.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OQW8kmosL._SX940_.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk38hKlbr1qm3rgko1_500.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_1241,w_873/t_mp_quality/staticshock-jaden-smith-to-star-in-static-shock-live-action-series-jpeg-160567.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/1/1f/Cubix.png/revision/latest?cb=20131231193748

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/359/MI0002359221.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/HmVFSx5ZrfA/maxresdefault.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_242,w_578/t_mp_quality/tlotr-vs-harry-potter-featured-the-middle-earth-universe-vs-the-harry-potter-universe-jpeg-78696.jpg

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/90s-One-Saturday-Morning.png
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130818040712/disney/images/6/64/One_Saturday_Morning.jpg

http://resizing.flixster.com/7W1D_EBXk8lL5qY7cwhwh0GBI-M=/353x500/dkpu1ddg7pbsk.cloudfront.net/movie/10/92/08/10920812_ori.jpg          http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vE1V5VEFL.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Atlantis_The_Lost_Empire_poster.jpg  http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ0NDg3MjU2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgyMDg5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R3M5S1CPL.jpg  http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTA2NzM4MjY1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzkzNzQyMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg  http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/f/f4/Home_on_the_Range_Poster_Promo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140809221036

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/34713694/original.jpg

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2012/12/PS2-Header.png

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/51ec7535eab8ea9505000020/huge-justice-league-superhero-movie-may-be-coming-in-2017.jpg

http://www.disney-pal.com/DisneyHollywoodStudios/images/playhouse_disney_store_03_large.jpg

http://files.khinsider.com/vgwallpaper/1024x768/3455-toonami-003-snirh.jpg

http://img15.deviantart.net/23fd/i/2009/297/f/2/toonami_10_best_by_j_rad306.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Bop_it.jpg

http://i.testfreaks.fr/images/products/600x400/26/nintendo-game-boy-advance.439322.jpg

Y/Z Cuspers(2004/05-2005/06)

https://keithroysdon.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/justice-league-unlimited.jpg

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/products/large/1678/xbox.jpg?1316016132

http://img03.deviantart.net/03b8/i/2005/218/9/2/the_cartoon_network_collection_by_ajd08.jpg

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/926831.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Jetix.png

http://s3.foreveryoungadult.com.s3.amazonaws.com/_uploads/images/32047/airbender-poster-2__span.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/DannyPhantomTitleCard.jpg

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lokcb9NJUf1qbbw9to1_1311049686_cover.png

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/59f85234-081a-43c8-a34d-b9466a7958de/870dc1fa-5ffa-44bd-a6a7-6fe24630d001.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23600000/WWE-Best-of-2005-wwe-23639473-693-883.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Nintendo-DS.jpg

EARLY GEN Z(2006/07- 2010/11)

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19000000/NARUTO-naruto-abridged-series-19005344-1024-768.jpg

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1555/15553757/2909555-m_wii_console.jpg

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5455/97/16x9/960.jpg

http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/channel_frederator/files/2008/04/flapjack-and-capn.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7c2f09b6c85ca3dd23d7fa6562bd811d/tumblr_inline_mzfuyjTDGn1qi3u3c.jpg

http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/upl_images/disney.jpg

http://www.wrestlingmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/wwe-raw-superstars-wallpaper-preview.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/miranda-cosgrove/images/6/63/ICarly.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121111012626

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01014/02-iowa_1014778c.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 12/16/15 at 11:55 pm

Eazy-EMAN1995:

I guess it's easy to tell which parts of my list you agree with and don't quite agree with! ;D

Actually, your list is pretty accurate in my opinion, although I would like to know where you would set the beginning of early Y culture, especially since you list the Nintendo and Bush '41 era-ish wrestlers in both late X and early Y.  Keep in mind, too, that the Nintendo was hardly popular at all at its 1985 test launch and didn't become a truly significant toy until 1987, eventually entering its peak in 1988.  The Master System, on the other hand, was nowhere near as successful as the NES.  Also, why did you omit Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the early Y category?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/16/15 at 11:59 pm

Eazy-EMAN1995:

I guess it's easy to tell which parts of my list you agree with and don't quite agree with! ;D

Actually, your list is pretty accurate in my opinion, although I would like to know where you would set the beginning of early Y culture, especially since you list the Nintendo and Bush '41 era-ish wrestlers in both late X and early Y.  Keep in mind, too, that the Nintendo was hardly popular at all at its 1985 test launch and didn't become a truly significant toy until 1987, eventually entering its peak in 1988.  The Master System, on the other hand, was nowhere near as successful as the NES.  Also, why did you omit Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the early Y category?

I simply forgot!! ;D ;D ;D  I will edit it in a minute!

Written By: mqg96 on 12/17/15 at 12:00 am

The Lombardi Trophy goes to Eazy-EMAN1995! That list really helped clear things up!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 12:13 am

I simply forgot!! ;D ;D ;D  I will edit it in a minute!

Lol, I can tell you used a Next Mutation-based image for the original cartoon, since Venus de Milo is in the picture!

Sorry for the trivial comments, just trying to get discussion moving past the overloaded page 4!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/17/15 at 12:54 am

The Lombardi Trophy goes to Eazy-EMAN1995! That list really helped clear things up!

Thanks bruh!

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/17/15 at 2:43 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think Naruto and Ben 10 have more of "late Y" than "early Z" feel to them. The latter feels more in-line with shows like Samurai Jack and Avatar, compared to what came after. I also noticed they're the cutoff point for a lot of late Y-ers who grew up watching CN (mqg96 included) - basically the last shows that feel like a part of childhood to them.

Chowder and Flapjack on the other hand, feel "Z" to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 3:02 am

After a bit of research, here's a brief amendment to my chart, focusing on the Silent Generation and Baby Boomers, just for fun:

Early Silent:  1937-1938 to 1942-1943

Culture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Snow_White_1937_poster.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/And_to_Think_That_I_Saw_It_on_Mulberry_Street.png
Amazingly, both this first book of Dr. Seuss' and Snow White came out the exact same day, December 21, 1937 - truly, that was a revolutionary day in children's media!

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/65/6559/ZXQ4100Z/posters/superman-comic-book-1938.jpg

http://goldenagecomics.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/87_4_000027.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/FirstBugs.jpg

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/images/CLP0209.jpg

http://www.yearsofears.com/wp-content/uploads/yearsofears/2014/10/Fantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-3296.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Swordstone.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Wizard_of_oz_movie_poster.jpg

Core Silent:  1943-1944 to 1946-1947

Culture:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/tjpuss1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Wwoman1.jpg

http://www.mallstuffs.com/Blogs/BlogImages/Whoinventedsnakesandladders4.png

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/The_Three_Caballeros.jpg

Late Silent:  1947-1948 to 1952-1953

Culture:

http://legendinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/HowdyDoody4.jpg

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/chuck-jones-9-rules-wile-e-coyote-road-runner-5.jpg?quality=94&strip=info

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/First_Peanuts_comic.png

http://traciemahan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Candyland-19491-1.jpg

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/books-that-shaped-america/1950-2000/Assets/ba0076_enlarge.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/TheLionWitchWardrobe%281stEd%29.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/b5/0a/d4b50a22d70beb2f478c04d70fd4e5ed.jpg

Early Boomer: 1953-1954 to 1957-1958

Culture:

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/images/main/lr/fr-1954.gif

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Seuss-cat-hat.gif

http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/w-z/mmc1.jpg

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fki123234LARGE.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/HortonHearsAWhoBookCover.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b1/OldYeller.jpg/220px-OldYeller.jpg

Core Boomer:  1958-1959 to 1963-1964

Culture:

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12506384.jpg

https://wherethewildthingsread.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/green-eggs.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/64/32/80/6432808132abbb37589938f641e09607.jpg

http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-110414-barbie/ss-110414-barbie-1959Barbie(SideFull).grid-5x2.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/One_Hundred_and_One_Dalmatians_movie_poster.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/flinstones/images/0/02/The_Flintstones_1960_title_screen.png/revision/latest?cb=20120205063402

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WBTPBUO8L._SX940_.jpg

Late Boomer:  1964-1965 to 1968-1969:

Culture:

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_195034_1J8zFvjDiDugc_RsxZKZwXvan.jpg

http://dayintechhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/GIJoe-DITH.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/018/3/7414572/il_570xN.496594131_byh0.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5673842/il_570xN.230598117.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/a/a7/Batman_1966_movie.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20060614122013

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/68/76/f0687600d7e91eecbd3f722fd1803b94.jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/6/90/4be852d826b53.jpg

http://www.theoldrobots.com/images61/RockEm-70.JPG

http://discussions.mnhs.org/collections/wp-content/imagescaler/f40ac29cc628060caed6da1610313787.jpg

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/17/15 at 5:51 am

Mine is going to be a little controversial, but so be it. Here it goes!
EARLY GEN X

http://file2.answcdn.com/answ-cld/image/upload/f_jpg,w_672,c_fill,g_faces:center,q_70/v1415923481/fue6x35xscuwsswkk9bp.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/0081/products/o_mr-rogers-neighborhood-dvd-set-1fd5_large.jpg?v=1410792527http://cp91279.biography.com/1000509261001/1000509261001_2085990537001_Bio-Biography-Richard-Nixon-SF.jpg

CORE GEN X

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelanimated/images/7/7c/Spider-Man_and_His_Amazing_Friends.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151001215351

http://cp91279.biography.com/1000509261001/1000509261001_2013809394001_Bio-Biography-Jimmy-Carter-SF.jpg

LATE GEN X (1983/84-1988/89)

http://www.retrogamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DSC_9508_master-system-cover-extra-conrtroller.png

EARLY GEN Y (1989/90-1992/93)

http://img13.deviantart.net/f986/i/2014/321/f/b/tmnt__1987__by_ambarbaez-d86qzfj.png

https://www.whitheouse.gov/sites/whitheouse.gov/files/images/first-family/41_george_h_w_bush.jpg

http://33.media.tumblr.com/70db9546990450ab1faaaee395526bbd/tumblr_inline_naooj5QhBL1sjok3e.png

http://pre10.deviantart.net/e9fc/th/pre/f/2011/213/0/e/doug_and_porkchop_by_georgegant-d42cuic.jpg

CORE GEN Y (1993/94-1997/98)
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/animaniacs/images/c/c5/Img.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130504152251

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/110/542/original/Batman-Animated-Title-2.jpg?1375384500

LATE GEN Y (1998/99-2005/06)
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/021/290/attitudeera_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

http://41.media.tumblr.com/bdca3cf876461b17ac756ed92bc231a6/tumblr_n1qswgJdCt1rfwfq9o1_1280.png

http://sav-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/editorial/images/savannah/mdControlled/cms/2008/11/29/361387591.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/nickelodeon/images/6/6a/The_Amanda_Show_characters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100919094700

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825195121/logopedia/images/7/78/Disney_Channel_ID_-_Zoog_Disney_Open.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_1241,w_873/t_mp_quality/staticshock-jaden-smith-to-star-in-static-shock-live-action-series-jpeg-160567.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/1/1f/Cubix.png/revision/latest?cb=20131231193748

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/359/MI0002359221.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_242,w_578/t_mp_quality/tlotr-vs-harry-potter-featured-the-middle-earth-universe-vs-the-harry-potter-universe-jpeg-78696.jpg

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/90s-One-Saturday-Morning.png
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130818040712/disney/images/6/64/One_Saturday_Morning.jpg

http://resizing.flixster.com/7W1D_EBXk8lL5qY7cwhwh0GBI-M=/353x500/dkpu1ddg7pbsk.cloudfront.net/movie/10/92/08/10920812_ori.jpg          http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vE1V5VEFL.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Atlantis_The_Lost_Empire_poster.jpg  http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ0NDg3MjU2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgyMDg5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R3M5S1CPL.jpg  http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTA2NzM4MjY1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzkzNzQyMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg  http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/f/f4/Home_on_the_Range_Poster_Promo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140809221036

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/51ec7535eab8ea9505000020/huge-justice-league-superhero-movie-may-be-coming-in-2017.jpg

http://www.disney-pal.com/DisneyHollywoodStudios/images/playhouse_disney_store_03_large.jpg

http://i.testfreaks.fr/images/products/600x400/26/nintendo-game-boy-advance.439322.jpg

Y/Z Cuspers(2004/05-2005/06)

http://img03.deviantart.net/03b8/i/2005/218/9/2/the_cartoon_network_collection_by_ajd08.jpg

http://s3.foreveryoungadult.com.s3.amazonaws.com/_uploads/images/32047/airbender-poster-2__span.jpg

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/59f85234-081a-43c8-a34d-b9466a7958de/870dc1fa-5ffa-44bd-a6a7-6fe24630d001.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23600000/WWE-Best-of-2005-wwe-23639473-693-883.jpg

EARLY GEN Z(2006/07- 2010/11)

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19000000/NARUTO-naruto-abridged-series-19005344-1024-768.jpg

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1555/15553757/2909555-m_wii_console.jpg

http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/channel_frederator/files/2008/04/flapjack-and-capn.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7c2f09b6c85ca3dd23d7fa6562bd811d/tumblr_inline_mzfuyjTDGn1qi3u3c.jpg

http://www.wrestlingmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/wwe-raw-superstars-wallpaper-preview.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/miranda-cosgrove/images/6/63/ICarly.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121111012626

This post is a millions times more accurate than mine, good job!

Maybe it's just me, but I think Naruto and Ben 10 have more of "late Y" than "early Z" feel to them. The latter feels more in-line with shows like Samurai Jack and Avatar, compared to what came after. I also noticed they're the cutoff point for a lot of late Y-ers who grew up watching CN (mqg96 included) - basically the last shows that feel like a part of childhood to them.

Chowder and Flapjack on the other hand, feel "Z" to me.

I actually agree with this. It seems like anything that debuted in the 2005-2006 school year was the last to have an impact on Late Gen Yer's childhoods, while anything that debuted after that school year had little to no effect to people my age what so ever.

Anther example is Nicktoons. Most people my age relate to Avatar with their childhoods, albeit their late childhoods. But a show like Back at the Barnyard, which came out a year and a half later, people my age see as 'garbage' or something that was not for our generation.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 3:41 pm

same here, he should cut down on the overload of pictures.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 4:09 pm

same here, he should cut down on the overload of pictures.

Who should?  There have been four people so far who have made charts like this; I personally take more issues with the fact that people are quoting the entire lists of images all over again just to make one brief remark.  Also, I hope you weren't referring to me when you said "he."

Written By: mqg96 on 12/17/15 at 4:20 pm

Who should?  There have been four people so far who have made charts like this; I personally take more issues with the fact that people are quoting the entire lists of images all over again just to make one brief remark.  Also, I hope you weren't referring to me when you said "he."

What computer do you have? I originally bought this computer as Windows 8 last year but recently upgraded to Windows 10, and with the Charter high speed internet I have I'm completely find. Everybody's computers are different so we all have to deal with it as I stated before.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 4:24 pm

What computer do you have? I originally bought this computer as Windows 8 last year but recently upgraded to Windows 10, and with the Charter high speed internet I have I'm completely find. Everybody's computers are different so we all have to deal with it as I stated before.

I have a Mac OS X Yosemite, so my computer isn't nearly the slowest here, but my point was that these pages would already load much faster if people at least didn't quote entire image charts all over again in their replies.  I tried to at least suggest that last page in order to save speed, but I guess my comment got overlooked on a page that was so swallowed by multiple giant lists and quotes of previous giant lists.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/15 at 4:27 pm

No, I think Howard was talking about you, ocarinafan96 and mqg96 to cut off on the amount of pictures used on your charts.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/17/15 at 4:28 pm

A good solution might be to put the pictures in spoilers if you have a lot.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 4:43 pm

I just tried putting my Silent/Boomer list in spoilers.  Not sure if it'll truly speed this page up a bit, since it still took me a while to preview it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/15 at 4:55 pm

I have a Mac OS X Yosemite, so my computer isn't nearly the slowest here, but my point was that these pages would already load much faster if people at least didn't quote entire image charts all over again in their replies.  I tried to at least suggest that last page in order to save speed, but I guess my comment got overlooked on a page that was so swallowed by multiple giant lists and quotes of previous giant lists.

Maybe they should've put the whole chart with spoilers, since seeing the charts as quoted wouldn't help them that much.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/17/15 at 4:57 pm

Maybe they should've put the whole chart with spoilers, since seeing the charts as quoted wouldn't help them that much.

That's exactly what I thought once JordanK1982 suggested using spoiler tags.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/15 at 10:33 pm

Gen Z started in 1997/1998, so their memories started in 2000/2001? Wow, they remember nothing about the 90s.  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/17/15 at 10:58 pm

Gen Z started in 1997/1998, so their memories started in 2000/2001? Wow, they remember nothing about the 90s.  :o

No, the question is asking, when did Gen Z kid culture begin?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/15 at 11:03 pm

No, the question is asking, when did Gen Z kid culture begin?

Culture for childhood would begin 2000/2001 then, 2002 at the latest for childhood pop culture. Adolescence is a different thing.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/18/15 at 1:07 am

Culture for childhood would begin 2000/2001 then, 2002 at the latest for childhood pop culture. Adolescence is a different thing.

Kindergarten is a more official starting point for kid culture.  Toddlers are usually exposed to some significant childhood culture, but their lives are still dominated by kiddie toys and shows.  Boys born in 1987 may have worn TMNT pajamas in 1990 and girls born in 1960 could have been playing with Barbie dolls back in 1963, but their parents still would have had primary influence over what things they were exposed to, and they wouldn't really have had a community to share it with in-depth.  As for memories, while most children can definitely remember several things from their toddlerhood, they're usually scattered scenes (especially at age 3) across a broken continuum.

From my own experience, I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame in theaters and played computer games back in the summer of 1996, not long before I turned 4, but I can't articulate what I specifically appreciated about them at that age except that they were bright and colorful.  I can remember some of the computer games I played in 1996, before one of neighbors bought me a Macintosh for my room, including Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds, Get Ready for School: Kindergarten, and The Playroom, but I forget what order I first played them, don't remember the specific months, and practically forgot that I even played them at all until I took a step back to try and remember what computer games I played during my early childhood.

As for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I could hardly remember the story at all when I was 3 and a half and could only directly recall some of the songs (I didn't even know God Help the Outcasts and The Court of Miracles were in the movie until years later when I saw the film again); I only truly remembered the character designs, but that was largely due to the Burger King action figures I got of them, so I basically associated the movie with Burger King just as much as with Disney.  By contrast, Hercules and Mulan, which I saw on the verge of turning 5 and 6, respectively, were both crystal clear to me from day 1; both movies completely knocked me off my feet as a kid, and both had stories that I knew from start to finish.  The Hunchback of Notre Dame may have been a huge part of my childhood, but since I was still too young to fully grasp it back when it came out, it didn't have nearly the same impact on me for its actual content rather than the spin-off toys, which were just as toddler-friendly as teddy bears and rattlers.

From what I remember, my personal sense of memory consolidated into a consistent continuum around the autumn of 1996, when I started preschool at an actual teaching facility.  I had just turned 4 years old.  I remember like yesterday the 20-minute drives to school in my mom's new Chrysler Town & Country, being best friends with a kid named Timothy, being an intentional troublemaker for the only time in my life (i.e., falling straight down with Timothy during a song about the falling of autumn leaves despite the teacher warning us to come down slowly), coming to school in a Buzz Lightyear costume on Halloween, and reenacting the words to a song about somebody putting different kids of shoes on your feet while you're asleep.  Since I wasn't 5 yet, there may or may not have been days that slipped my mind while I was growing up, but I certainly remember enough that it felt like my memory had fully developed.  This, of course is all preliminary to my real childhood, as I don't remember becoming fully aware or appreciative of popular culture until about the summer of 1997, when I saw Hercules in theaters, got my Macintosh (which produced the vast bulk of educational tools that shaped my early years as a kid), and started constantly hearing about the Spice Girls from the other kids who went to Panda's P.E. with me.  I was older for my class, due to going to the same preschool two separate times, so most kids would have entered kindergarten at the same age as I was at some random point in the 1997-1998 school year, but at the very least, I can clearly distinguish my mid-90s early childhood from my late 90s early childhood.

Despite everything coming together during the 1996-1997 school year, however, I can definitely recall plenty of things in my life that happened from about the summer of 1995 though the summer of 1996.  3 was the youngest age I specifically remember being, and as I stated in another thread, my third birthday party in August of 1995 was the first full day that I can mostly remember having lived through.  This, of course, was due to my birthday party that year making a huge impact on me.  I remember plenty of other details about the 1995-1996 school year and its near-vicinity, such as becoming friends with a kid named Kyle who lived three doors down (his mother is my mom's best friend, and I'm still in touch with him to this day), going to preschool at another house in our neighborhood under the instruction of a woman named Peggy, going to the community pool with another one of my best friends at the time named Tendai, being babysat by a woman from Switzerland, being told I was "bigger than everyone," watching Pocahontas on the small tv in my parents' bedroom, being obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine (my iconic third birthday party was Thomas-themed), falling in love with the Me and My Best Teddy-Bear segment from Barney & Friends, eventually going to Chuck E. Cheese's (I think my first memory of this was early '96), eventually playing Get Ready for School: Kindergarten on my dad's PC, going to a party near my 1995-1996 home-preschool and having a boa constrictor in my lap, and being completely familiar with the layout of my house.

Aside from August 18, 1995, however, all of these details are completely disconnected from each other, and I don't remember much of them except mostly for images and a few sound clips, as if my life that school year was literally a home video filmed at different times before being compiled together.

Anyways, tl;dr, I have plenty of key memories from my toddlerhood, but it was really not until I turned 4 that it felt like my life had fully became my life, and not until the dawning of my fifth birthday party that I started to fully grasp popular culture.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 2:28 am

GEN Z KID CULTURE OVERALL

http://i50.tinypic.com/2i03l7a.png

https://media.playstation.com/is/image/SCEA/ps4-system-imageblock-vs-us-19jun15?$TwoColumn_Image$

http://www.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ps3.jpg

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzAxLzIzLzFmL0h1bmdlckdhbWVzLjczNzk0LmpwZwpwCXRodW1iCTk1MHg1MzQjCmUJanBn/7ca6a7d1/770/Hunger-Games-Collage.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gravityfalls/images/7/74/Gravity_Falls_Logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20140526121714

http://www.doctordisney.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/phineas-and-ferb.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Disney_Junior_Logo.png

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 2:29 am

BTW, Infinity how do you do spoilers? ??? ??? ???

Written By: #Infinity on 12/18/15 at 2:36 am

BTW, Infinity how do you do spoilers? ??? ??? ???

The question mark icon in the dashboard, sixth from the right.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 2:44 am

Boomer Kid Culutre OVERALL
http://legendinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/HowdyDoody4.jpg

http://www.mtvhive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lone-Ranger-640.jpg

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/unit10powerpointthe1950s-110829151755-phpapp01/95/unit-10-powerpoint-the-1950s-and-1960s-17-728.jpg?cb=1314631862

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/60-s-TV-wallpaper-the-60s-926330_800_600.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/6LjPLZ8wv3ecmRKS4aFNpDnNQD2k7lW58XGOfrM5jnkq2lwu62GFhCDlDdX9ldCHuJ0qOk*9UeIpBzEMl4kq7RBg3vyZdcjU/loonypuzzle.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/21700000/Some-Classic-Disney-Characters-walt-disney-50-animated-motion-pictures-21757172-634-518.png

http://www.timewarptoys.com/102311.JPG

http://moderncultclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Cabec%CC%A7as.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 3:08 am

GEN X kid culture overall

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/fat_albert.jpg

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2010/12/07/sports/MEREDITH1-obit/MEREDITH1-obit-articleLarge.jpg

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2013/12/reagan-swornin-P.jpeg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 3:29 am

X/Y Cusps(1988/89-1989/90)

http://orig03.deviantart.net/15f3/f/2012/328/2/2/tmnt_1987_by_coolgirls2-d5m1zn5.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/ChipDaleLogo.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Ducktails.jpg

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/nm/mo/ot/wwf.jpg

http://animekawaiimoemoe.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/9/3/14938744/784352695_orig.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54aea10fe4b06532c83ba3f3/t/56028c94e4b0d4e44ff31c6c/1443007637174/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/AllDogsGotoHeaven.jpg

http://reuther.wayne.edu/files/images/28766.preview.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 3:46 am

GEN Y KID CULTURE AS A WHOLE

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HCDzupi4yBY/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hNV_vj17puM/hqdefault.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131211142108/adjl/images/a/a2/Jake-and-rose-american-dragon-jake-long-2879947-303-404.jpg

https://services.timewarnercable.com/imageserver/program/SH006619660000?default=true&twcCategory=showcard

https://images.rapgenius.com/097127f7585a4285b6a33d19a45ed282.1000x500x1.jpg

http://2.images.southparkstudios.com/default/image.jpg?quality=0.8

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/kingofthehill/images/0/05/King_of_the_Hill.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130506011838

http://drjeffreychung.net/wp-content/uploads/drjeffreychung-net/sites/353/Screen-Shot-2014-10-15-at-4.38.49-PM.png

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr06/31/0/enhanced-buzz-28804-1383192927-2.jpg

http://www.alternativefinland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Finnishcandy1.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 12/18/15 at 4:21 am

Silent Kid Culture Overall:  1937 to 1952

Culture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Snow_White_1937_poster.png

http://www.movpins.com/big/MV5BMTc5NjY3ODQyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTE1MTkzMjE@._V1/bambi-(1942)-large-picture.jpg

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/tjpuss1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Wwoman1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Horton_hatches_the_egg.jpg

http://comiccoverage.typepad.com/comic_coverage/images/2007/09/29/classic_heroes.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/99/24/25/992425753938cfc24c31b90dc058f9b4.jpg

http://cdn2.retrowaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1940s-Toys.jpg

Boomer Kid Culture Overall:  1953 to 1969

Culture:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01080/earth-graphics-200_1080068a.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Seuss-cat-hat.gif

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/images/cius_0005_0002_0_img0234.jpg

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/duck-and-cover-drill.jpg

http://www.collecttolkien.com/images/Books/Book%20Tolkien%20Hobbit%20LOTR%20Set%20Random%20House%200345340426.jpg

http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/w-z/mmc1.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/68/04/7e680422b1f42424af8c3a27b659a299.jpg

http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-110414-barbie/ss-110414-barbie-1959Barbie(SideFull).grid-5x2.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/9d3fafb0266df10fe8d16e5e8955df78/tumblr_nrcjb4ytPo1sq88gbo1_500.png

X Kid Culture Overall:  1969 to 1988:

Culture:

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/crop/1999x1500+0+0/resize/630x473!/format/jpg/quality/85/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/midas/6e4cfc5188e1e5f88e64965f40e8da25/200881679/5170714201_c337636c0e.jpg

http://www.itats.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Life-Cover.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/7f/f6/747ff6d2e93d9ec0bd4e09e8f15d2364.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/e3/31/ece3317b105d44fdb23aa29ab11cdaee.jpg

https://thewanderingnerd.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/56381-karateka-atari-7800-screenshot-atari-logos.gif

https://speakeasyohiou.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dd-09.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/4527/1051897-pacman.png

Y Kid Culture Overall:  1988 to 2006

Culture:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-RGYWX2KBzA/hqdefault.jpg

http://clashofthenerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/nintendo-vs-sega.jpg

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_779,w_1343/t_mp_quality/dbylx4szda2bfx8agg91/do-the-latest-and-upcoming-animated-blockbusters-mark-walt-disney-studios-return-to-a-gold-443906.jpg

http://g33kingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/gensnes.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/6/6b/Nickelodeon_OlderSplat.png/revision/latest?cb=20121101125033

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/key_art_the_simpsons.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Wikipedia_gameboygroup.jpg/500px-Wikipedia_gameboygroup.jpg

http://http://images.vcpost.com/data/images/full/32674/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-will-be-having-its-reboot.jpg

http://payload342.cargocollective.com/1/13/420087/9141604/Anime-of-the-90s_Colour_Website_670.jpg

Z Kid Culture Overall:  2006 to present

Culture:

http://www.croatiaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/1.jpeg

http://blog.ludei.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/nickelodeon-logo.png

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,h_782,w_1346/t_mp_quality/yxfemmqb8rghizrl4n2s/do-the-latest-and-upcoming-animated-blockbusters-mark-walt-disney-studios-return-to-a-gold-443946.jpg

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/Csit9SKfkcFgig9s9p-fJA41734/GW421H245

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Adventure_Time_-_Title_card.png

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/v1426604264/power-ranking-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-jpeg-303482.jpg

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Michael-Bay-Transformers-the-Ride-3D.png

http://www.tubefilter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/smosh-2015-calendar.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KRHMcowe7vg/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 7:33 am

Also, I hope you weren't referring to me when you said "he."

Sorry I meant the others.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/18/15 at 7:33 am

You gotta admit some of that Z kid culture is really good, like The Hunger Games series, Regular Show, Angry Birds, the Wii craze with games like Super Mario Galaxy, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or the Yes We Can campaign with Barack Obama.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 7:34 am

A good solution might be to put the pictures in spoilers if you have a lot.

That's a good idea.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/15 at 11:18 am

Kindergarten is a more official starting point for kid culture.  Toddlers are usually exposed to some significant childhood culture, but their lives are still dominated by kiddie toys and shows.  Boys born in 1987 may have worn TMNT pajamas in 1990 and girls born in 1960 could have been playing with Barbie dolls back in 1963, but their parents still would have had primary influence over what things they were exposed to, and they wouldn't really have had a community to share it with in-depth.  As for memories, while most children can definitely remember several things from their toddlerhood, they're usually scattered scenes (especially at age 3) across a broken continuum.

From my own experience, I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame in theaters and played computer games back in the summer of 1996, not long before I turned 4, but I can't articulate what I specifically appreciated about them at that age except that they were bright and colorful.  I can remember some of the computer games I played in 1996, before one of neighbors bought me a Macintosh for my room, including Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds, Get Ready for School: Kindergarten, and The Playroom, but I forget what order I first played them, don't remember the specific months, and practically forgot that I even played them at all until I took a step back to try and remember what computer games I played during my early childhood.

As for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I could hardly remember the story at all when I was 3 and a half and could only directly recall some of the songs (I didn't even know God Help the Outcasts and The Court of Miracles were in the movie until years later when I saw the film again); I only truly remembered the character designs, but that was largely due to the Burger King action figures I got of them, so I basically associated the movie with Burger King just as much as with Disney.  By contrast, Hercules and Mulan, which I saw on the verge of turning 5 and 6, respectively, were both crystal clear to me from day 1; both movies completely knocked me off my feet as a kid, and both had stories that I knew from start to finish.  The Hunchback of Notre Dame may have been a huge part of my childhood, but since I was still too young to fully grasp it back when it came out, it didn't have nearly the same impact on me for its actual content rather than the spin-off toys, which were just as toddler-friendly as teddy bears and rattlers.

From what I remember, my personal sense of memory consolidated into a consistent continuum around the autumn of 1996, when I started preschool at an actual teaching facility.  I had just turned 4 years old.  I remember like yesterday the 20-minute drives to school in my mom's new Chrysler Town & Country, being best friends with a kid named Timothy, being an intentional troublemaker for the only time in my life (i.e., falling straight down with Timothy during a song about the falling of autumn leaves despite the teacher warning us to come down slowly), coming to school in a Buzz Lightyear costume on Halloween, and reenacting the words to a song about somebody putting different kids of shoes on your feet while you're asleep.  Since I wasn't 5 yet, there may or may not have been days that slipped my mind while I was growing up, but I certainly remember enough that it felt like my memory had fully developed.  This, of course is all preliminary to my real childhood, as I don't remember becoming fully aware or appreciative of popular culture until about the summer of 1997, when I saw Hercules in theaters, got my Macintosh (which produced the vast bulk of educational tools that shaped my early years as a kid), and started constantly hearing about the Spice Girls from the other kids who went to Panda's P.E. with me.  I was older for my class, due to going to the same preschool two separate times, so most kids would have entered kindergarten at the same age as I was at some random point in the 1997-1998 school year, but at the very least, I can clearly distinguish my mid-90s early childhood from my late 90s early childhood.

Despite everything coming together during the 1996-1997 school year, however, I can definitely recall plenty of things in my life that happened from about the summer of 1995 though the summer of 1996.  3 was the youngest age I specifically remember being, and as I stated in another thread, my third birthday party in August of 1995 was the first full day that I can mostly remember having lived through.  This, of course, was due to my birthday party that year making a huge impact on me.  I remember plenty of other details about the 1995-1996 school year and its near-vicinity, such as becoming friends with a kid named Kyle who lived three doors down (his mother is my mom's best friend, and I'm still in touch with him to this day), going to preschool at another house in our neighborhood under the instruction of a woman named Peggy, going to the community pool with another one of my best friends at the time named Tendai, being babysat by a woman from Switzerland, being told I was "bigger than everyone," watching Pocahontas on the small tv in my parents' bedroom, being obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine (my iconic third birthday party was Thomas-themed), falling in love with the Me and My Best Teddy-Bear segment from Barney & Friends, eventually going to Chuck E. Cheese's (I think my first memory of this was early '96), eventually playing Get Ready for School: Kindergarten on my dad's PC, going to a party near my 1995-1996 home-preschool and having a boa constrictor in my lap, and being completely familiar with the layout of my house.

Aside from August 18, 1995, however, all of these details are completely disconnected from each other, and I don't remember much of them except mostly for images and a few sound clips, as if my life that school year was literally a home video filmed at different times before being compiled together.

Anyways, tl;dr, I have plenty of key memories from my toddlerhood, but it was really not until I turned 4 that it felt like my life had fully became my life, and not until the dawning of my fifth birthday party that I started to fully grasp popular culture.

Yup, kindergarten or preschool. I don't remember much as a fetus!  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 12/18/15 at 11:49 am

When it comes to me being born in 1996, I can look at pictures from when I was 3 & 4 years old and actually have vague memories or glimpses of me being there in the pictures and knowing the events as it was happening. 3 & 4 years old feels like millions of years ago to me. However, if I look at pictures when I was 6 months or 1 years old, no matter how hard I try it's completely blank like it never happened. When I look at photos from when I was age 6-9, it feels like yesterday to me. Age 10 & up feels like it was an hour ago. Age 5 for me is like stuck in between vague (3 & 4) and crystal clear (6 & up). My age 5 memories is when things start becoming clear and constant but it's not 100% clear yet. I can remember my 2nd semester of pre-K (Spring 2001) like 100000x better than my 1st semester of pre-K (Fall 2000). Same goes for how much better my 2nd semester of Kindergarten memories (Spring 2002) are much better than my 1st semester of Kindergarten memories (Fall 2001). If I had to measure my memories in life. It would go like this.

1996: 0% clear

1997: 0% clear

1998: 5% clear

1999: 10% clear

2000: 25% clear

2001: 50% clear (1st full year I can get events in order of when it happened in my life, aware of the months we're in and days of the week)

2002: 85% clear

2003-present: 100% clear

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/18/15 at 12:54 pm

I'm going to do something a little different, I'm going to use a combination of commercial breaks and pictures from different childhood eras:

Baby Boomer Kid Era
1953-1971 - The Current Generation of Retirees

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4tL9Mxluc2k/UuFeAOfLc0I/AAAAAAABZ-c/nItAU3BQg_M/s1600/Mickey_Mouse_Club.gif

TkaMFjBSUr4zvrF0jl0-50
98PNIkvvlU4ckjIbT1bUos

Generation X Kid Era
1971-1988 - The Current Generation of Middle Aged Adults

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/112811_themuppets.jpg

mrAsdwzbi2YWH7EP9yfKpw
_83gTfwUlJEGhVk49a7c6g

Millennial Kid Era
1988-2006 - The Current Generation of Young Adults

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/1e/8e/631e8e61baabb6ab4be27a0fb07ffb51.jpg

E4SB9PkCnX0IAxQ96krv3c
0Bvg_EBpa-I6ovbjwO9frI

Homelander Kid Era
2006-Present - The Current Generation of Children and Young Teens

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_kz-twgbWMjzCcZDuEn9vS-YB9dIlunSfQTFTSs5GHaPvLbNFXIW7kARCsd0kXFuiqgb=s630-fcrop64=1,006a0000ff94ffff

Sm-yC7S1xhsXCsAYCC12dA
II9qwUJSVWsjtUI_7t0sz4

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/18/15 at 9:12 pm

Homelander Kid Era
2006-Present - The Current Generation of Children and Young Teens

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_kz-twgbWMjzCcZDuEn9vS-YB9dIlunSfQTFTSs5GHaPvLbNFXIW7kARCsd0kXFuiqgb=s630-fcrop64=1,006a0000ff94ffff

Sm-yC7S1xhsXCsAYCC12dA
II9qwUJSVWsjtUI_7t0sz4

You might disagree with me, but those CN commercials still felt like "late Y" (though very late Y) to me, particularly the Dell ones. I believe "pure Gen Z" CN started with the "Fall" era in late 2007.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/18/15 at 9:51 pm

You might disagree with me, but those CN commercials still felt like "late Y" (though very late Y) to me, particularly the Dell ones. I believe "pure Gen Z" CN started with the "Fall" era in late 2007.

You do have somewhat of a point, actually.  I can probably go with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends as the last Cartoon Cartoon with more of a Y feel to it (though I listed it as early Z), not to mention Codename:  Kids Next Door, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Ed, Edd n Eddy were all still airing new episodes until 2008 (2009 in the latter case, though far fewer new episodes came out during its later years compared to its earlier seasons).  I think most people categorize the mid-2000s introductions as Generation Z culture because the period they first came out was also a time of radical change at pretty much all of the major children's channels.  Between 2003 and 2006, almost all of the programs that debuted in the 90s or early 2000s met their end, while a huge flood of new shows came along that were a huge step down in quality for those who grew up with the previous series.

I distinctly remember the premiere of Codename: Kids Next Door on the December 6, 2002 edition of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays being one of the heights of my entire childhood, aside from going to amusement parks like Disneyland.  I was already hooked by the multiple promotions for the show earlier that fall, and when I finally saw Operation: I.-S.C.R.E.A.M./Operation: N.O.-P.O.W.U.H., I was not disappointed.  This was a show that still had the originality, direction, and identifiable characters of all other Cartoon Cartoons, despite coming out when I was the same age as the operatives on the show.  I loved it so much that it became the sole reason I kept tuning into Cartoon Network throughout 2004.  Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, on the other hand, had a great tv movie pilot, but otherwise I couldn't get into it nearly as much as the shows that premiered as Cartoon Cartoons.  The show's cast had markedly different personalities, which I found unpleasantly spontaneous and thus harder for me to identify with.  Shows like KND and Craig McCracken's own Powerpuff Girls had plenty of bickering between its leads, but you still sensed an incredible love and dedication that even the ditziest or most arrogant ones had for each other.  With Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, it feels as though all of the conflicts are just for the sake of mischief, rather than mostly good (but still sometimes selfish) intentions going horribly astray.  I'm sure all of us can relate to having an imaginary friend when we were young, especially courtesy of Dr. Seuss and Jim Henson, but I certainly wouldn't have imagined him or her as an egotistical brat like Bloo; even Inside Out got the imaginary friend thing right, and that was over a decade later.  Regardless, Bloo supposedly still being likable despite being far less cuddly than Pikachu or Courage the Cowardly Dog is a pretty good representation of how familial attitudes were changing as the 21st century began to really unfold.  Despite its December 2002 premiere, Codename: Kids Next Door still retained the casually rebellious yet ernest model of character casts that had been common since about the time Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first came out in the late 80s.  Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends seems to have had far less restraint to its morals and storytelling, which can be a good thing for newer families with children that conduct lives that are much faster-paced than typical millennials' were, but a dip in quality for most old school viewers who preferred more holistic, if comparatively minimalist programs.  It's for all of these reasons that I consider it more of a Gen-Z show than a Gen-Y one; I'm only on the cusp of core and late Y, but I felt far more of a shift between Codename: Kids Next Door than I did between any previous Cartoon Cartoons, plus other cartoons going back to the Bush '41 era.  I say I am willing to accept Foster's as late Y because I knew a lot of people around my age who liked the show despite agreeing with me over how bad the other new stuff that followed was, not to mention it's by the creator of arguably the most successful Cartoon Cartoon, but at the very least, it certainly marks some shift away from the status quo of Generation Y shows.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 10:09 pm

Interesting conversation between you guys. But yes, KND and Bill & Mandy are the last TRUE Y shows from CN.
Fosters, Code Lyoko, Totally Spies, Atomic Betty, Juniper Lee, Justice League Unlimited, One Piece, Transfromers Energon & Cybertron,Teen Titan would be examples of Late Y/ Early Z cusp CN shows.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/18/15 at 10:24 pm

Is Class of 3000 a Y or Z show? I know some late Y-ers who remember it fondly from the tail-end of their childhood, mostly for the songs and well-done artwork. It's also the last CN show before Stuart Snyder took over, as a result of the 2007 Boston bomb scare.

For me, shows like Out of jimmy's head and beyond, those are "pure Z".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/18/15 at 10:53 pm

ULTIMATE LATE Y/EARLY Z CUSP THINGS
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/rugrats/images/d/d4/All_grown_up_characters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111217133048

http://www.dorkadia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/JLU.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/Transformers_Cyberton_DVD_cover_art.jpg

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/thumbs/Transformers-Energon-Episode-1--Cybertron-City.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131211142108/adjl/images/a/a2/Jake-and-rose-american-dragon-jake-long-2879947-303-404.jpg

https://services.timewarnercable.com/imageserver/program/SH006619660000?default=true&twcCategory=showcard

https://images.rapgenius.com/097127f7585a4285b6a33d19a45ed282.1000x500x1.jpg

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10785/normal_BIONICLE2.jpg

http://superluchas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/1195450780-00.jpg

http://proyectofreak.com/pw/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/one-piece_64431380857712.jpg

http://ib4.huluim.com/show_key_art/4156?size=1600x600&region=US

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PgUAmv35_5A/maxresdefault.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lostmedia/images/e/e4/1188210469_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130809073614

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/teen-titans-go/images/a/a4/4374406-teen-titans-season-1-screenshot-1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150919022507

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Atomic_Betty.png

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/juniperlee/images/c/cf/Juniper_Lee_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130921100952

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xiaolinpedia/images/1/13/Xiaolin_showdown_logo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120823195954

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v0UeRlLfYug/hqdefault.jpg
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/powerrangers/images/3/33/SPD_B_Squad.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070701130638

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/scratchpad/images/4/44/Code_lyoko_s1_s3_by_nelbsia-d6ksn11.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150404221548

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120626211609/witch/images/thumb/7/73/W.I.T.C.H._characters_in_TV_series.jpg/500px-W.I.T.C.H._characters_in_TV_series.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nickelodeon/images/3/34/Unfabulous.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100927053836

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KBNNT063L.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Robot_Chicken_Logo.png

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcwMjMwNTA3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk4OTgyMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/19/50/a7/1950a73242ffc0b79b67fc8c983844af.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 12/19/15 at 4:22 am

I'd say Cars is really more of a general Z thing, since the toys have always been more popular with little kids and toddlers rather than big kids and the franchise's merchandising empire has continued to thrive to this day, frankly peaking in the early-mid 2010s with the release of Cars 2 and the Planes movies, as well as Cars Land opening in Disneyland and Disney World.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/19/15 at 6:21 am

Interesting conversation between you guys. But yes, KND and Bill & Mandy are the last TRUE Y shows from CN.
Fosters, Code Lyoko, Totally Spies, Atomic Betty, Juniper Lee, Justice League Unlimited, One Piece, Transfromers Energon & Cybertron,Teen Titan would be examples of Late Y/ Early Z cusp CN shows.

I agree with this

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/19/15 at 6:25 am

While there was still a few Gen Y influences around that time, CN for the most part was already transitioning to the Gen Z CN we know today. Lack of the Checkerboard Logo, most Powerhouse Cartoons now done with their runs/reruns, almost all classic 70's & before cartoons shown exclusively on Boomerang, Toonami (while still pretty good) only shown on Saturday nights somewhat similar to today, some of the first live action movies came out in 06', etc.

However 2006 in general is more of a transitional year, however by late 2006 it was pretty obvious we were leaning more on the Z side although still cuspy. I would say the 2007-2008 school year was the first pure Gen Z school year, especially when it came to CN!

Written By: mqg96 on 12/19/15 at 7:29 am

Here's my take. When it comes to a TV series that had the majority of its run in 2004 & earlier, then it's a Y show. If it's a show that had the majority of its run in 2005 & later, it's Z. However, if it's a show that had a mixture of its run between 2004 & earlier and 2005 & later, then it's Y/Z cusp. This is why I consider shows like Teen Titans, Codename: KND, Ed Edd n Eddy, Spongebob Squarepants, or That's So Raven as Y/Z cusp shows because it had a mixture of its run between the 1st half of the 2000's and 2nd half of the 2000's, and had popularity by both late Y kids and early Z kids. Shows like Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Avatar: The Last Airbender, or the Suite Life series is Z because most of its episodes were from 2005 onwards. Shows like the Courage the Cowardly Dog, Even Stevens, or Justice League (original) are Y since all or most of its run was around 2004 or earlier.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/19/15 at 7:31 am

However 2006 in general is more of a transitional year, however by late 2006 it was pretty obvious we were leaning more on the Z side although still cuspy. I would say the 2007-2008 school year was the first pure Gen Z school year, especially when it came to CN!

That would be 2006-2007 for me personally. 2005-2006 was the last gasp of the real CN City Era in transition into the Yes style, so that's that last cusp for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/19/15 at 7:36 am

I'd say Cars is really more of a general Z thing, since the toys have always been more popular with little kids and toddlers rather than big kids and the franchise's merchandising empire has continued to thrive to this day, frankly peaking in the early-mid 2010s with the release of Cars 2 and the Planes movies, as well as Cars Land opening in Disneyland and Disney World.

I remember being excited for Cars when I was 10 years old, because of my obsession with cars and racing games in general when I was little, however, I would have not asked by parents to buy any of the toys or merchandise at that age, since by the time I was 10 I was not playing with cars or building lego toys anymore. That's something I would've done when I was around 6-8 years old.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/19/15 at 11:45 am

Here's my take. When it comes to a TV series that had the majority of its run in 2004 & earlier, then it's a Y show. If it's a show that had the majority of its run in 2005 & later, it's Z. However, if it's a show that had a mixture of its run between 2004 & earlier and 2005 & later, then it's Y/Z cusp. This is why I consider shows like Teen Titans, Codename: KND, Ed Edd n Eddy, Spongebob Squarepants, or That's So Raven as Y/Z cusp shows because it had a mixture of its run between the 1st half of the 2000's and 2nd half of the 2000's, and had popularity by both late Y kids and early Z kids. Shows like Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Avatar: The Last Airbender, or the Suite Life series is Z because most of its episodes were from 2005 onwards. Shows like the Courage the Cowardly Dog, Even Stevens, or Justice League (original) are Y since all or most of its run was around 2004 or earlier.

VERY Debatable, ED Edd n Eddy and Spongebob were at their best in the early 2000s, that's why I consider them to be more late Y than Y/Z cusp, both shows debuted in early 1999 for crying out loud. KND was the last true late Y show from CN. But I guess it could be considered Y/Z cusp. But I see it as both late Y and Y/Z cusp.

Also when I think of Fosters I think of it's mid 2000s run so that's why I put it in the Y/Z cusp. Avatar could be considered Late Y/Early Z cusp and plain early Z.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/19/15 at 6:32 pm

One really notable thing about Codename: Kids Next Door is that while characters themselves were pretty consistent during the show's run and never Flanderized, the show began to elaborate much more on its expanded universe as it progressed.  As a result, it became more of a Z show towards the end of its run, compared to its early seasons, which can just as easily be compared to cartoons from the Bush '41 era.

Episodes from the first season, which premiered while it was still the Cartoon Cartoons era, focused almost exclusively on Sector V operatives, thereby giving them more of a isolated, centralized, and perhaps audacious role in a world completely dominated by the adults.  The only episode that really acknowledged the existence of other sectors was Operation: C.H.A.D., and that episode made it seem like the Kids Next Door had one sector per country, as well as one celebrity operative who everybody looked up to.  The way Bradley the skunk was so readily knighted Numbuh 6 in Operation: C.A.M.P. seemed like a big deal because you would think there would already be a different operative Numbuh 6 if the Kids Next Door was larger than just the Cleveland treehouse.

Once season 2 came along, viewers were a bit more familiarized with the broader Kids Next Door universe, especially towards the end.  Key episodes include Operation: M.O.V.I.E., which introduced the adults as an underground organization headed by Mr. Boss (instead of just a bunch of supervillains under the command of Father and the Delightfuls); Operation: F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E., which marked the debuts of Numbuh 86 and Numbuh 362 (both of whom would emerge as major characters during later seasons); and Operation: E.N.D., which introduced the concept of decommission, as well as other details about the Kids Next Door's constitution.

Season 3 capped off the transition by featuring more episodes with Numbuh 86, clarifying Numbuh 362 as the Supreme Leader of the Kids Next Door, centralizing an episode on Kids Next Door trainees, and dedicating an entire episode (Operation: A.R.C.H.I.V.E., easily my favorite in the series, by the way) to the genesis of the show's universe.  By the time the season finale Operation: G.R.A.D.U.A.T.E.S. aired, Codename: Kids Next Door had gone from show about a small gang of rebellious preteens with a few distant acquaintances to an intricately structured network of kids everywhere, not just Cleveland, collectively coordinating to thwart the adults and teenagers.  The first two seasons of the show were modeled very similarly to comedy-action children shows from as early as the Bush '41 era, such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which was also about a small band of casually rebellious youngsters ambitiously taking on an entire empire of evil, using only walkie talkie-ish or fantastical technology and the occasional ally to help them.  Seasons 3 through 6, as well as the three tv movies, however, are far less centralized and portray the conflict quite similarly to the social media protests that would later emerge in the following decade, uniting thousands of youngsters across the globe to confront the insensitive older-generation establishment that underestimates their wit.  Even though Codename: Kids Next Door did not ever jump the shark and expanded upon its universe brilliantly, it also perfectly captured the transition from Generation Y kid shows to Generation Z kid shows, reflecting directly upon how much more networked and complicated the world is today compared to thirteen years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...