inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think there is a massive difference between Late 80's & Mid 90's Babies?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/22/15 at 8:39 pm

I've been wondering about this a lot lately. People born in the mid 90's, lets say Late 1993 - Mid 1996 babies, are now between the ages of 19-22. They are the prime college aged kids and most of them are now in their 20's or are about to enter their 20's within months. Plus we are all in the workforce for the most part, either working at part time or full time jobs, and or working as Interns.

The question remains for late 80's babies, those from say Late 1986 through 1989, do you still see Mid 90's babies as children? And if so why? If not, what are some of the major similarities you have with mid 90's babies?

Also do you guys think the age gap will ever subside like how for instance many mid 50's borns are VERY close with late 40's borns, despite the former being Prime 'Brady Bunch' Era Baby Boomers and the latter being the Vietnam Section of Baby Boomers. Or how late 60's babies who are part of the 'Brat Pack' Cohort of Gen X could now relate VERY well with the mid 70's borns part of the 'Heathers' Cohort.

Personally for me I've always have had connections with late 80's babies since I have many cousins born in that era. Despite age differences growing up, I was really close with them. However I viewed them as my older siblings and always opted to play/hang out with my cousins closer to my age instead, they're all around my age from about age 19-23. However, it seems like ever since I started working at my first job at age 15/16, and especially since I came of age a year ago, that the differences between myself and many late 80's babies has decreased, especially with working with many late 80's babies. Despite them remembering the 90's, we actually tend to relate with many fads such as Pokemon, DBZ, Nicktoons like Rugrats and Hey Arnold, Beanie Babies, Moon Shoes, Wonderballs, etc. I think its because I spent most of my childhood in the first half of the 2000's which were culturally very similar to the second half of the 90's.

Regardless I feel like since the life experiences, while still noticeable, do not seem to be as drastic as before, and my older late 80's/early 90's babies cousins now seeing me as a peer rather than a 'little cuzzo', I find it hard to fathom that many late 80's babies will still spew ignorant and absurd accusations about us mid 90's babies such as "Kids born after 1992 grew up with Justin Bieber and One Direction :P When I were their age we had Pokemon and Recess!" when many of these shows that late 80's/early 90's babies grew up with many people in my so called, Harry Potter Cohort? (the name is tentative), grew up with as well (not on reruns, but on their original televised runs)

But I would still like to hear your guys opinion on this

Subject: Re: Do you think there is a massive difference between Late 80's & Mid 90's Babies?

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/22/15 at 8:50 pm

No offense, but these decadeology/generation threads are getting boring and starting to run in circles.

Subject: Re: Do you think there is a massive difference between Late 80's & Mid 90's Babies?

Written By: mqg96 on 12/22/15 at 9:10 pm

Well in reality it's really simple. 1990-1994 born's relate more to 80's babies than 2000's babies, but 1995-1999 born's relate more to 2000's babies than 80's babies. I've always come up with this rule, but when it comes to childhood & teen years, you relate to people 3 years older or younger than you, however, when it comes to adulthood (18+), you can relate to people 15 years older or younger than you. Rather you relate to one side better or the other is based off your personal life.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/22/15 at 11:17 pm

As somebody born in the mid 80s, I can relate pretty well to late '80s babies.  I can even relate to some early '90s-born but when talking about childhood experiences the age difference really starts to show, especially post-1990.  By the time you get to the mid 90s, our childhoods were so different that we don't have much in common in that regard.  Somebody born in 1996 for instance would have been in preschool when I was in high school, would have no memory of the Clinton presidency and might barely remember 9/11.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/23/15 at 2:07 am

No offense, but these decadeology/generation threads are getting boring and starting to run in circles.

It feels as though ocarinafan96 is simply trying to justify the feeling that he's part of the older generation out of insecurity.  His tastes are really just mature for his age, and I think the fact that he had several older cousins born in the late 80s has shaped that.  He's emphasizing his love for culture from the millennial era of 1997-2001, when most people his age were still playing with kiddie toys or watching shows like Barney and Teletubbies during that time.  Sure, there were some people born in 1996 who embraced things like Recess and Nintendo 64, but 2-5 year-olds were not the prime audience that such culture were targeting.  ocarinafan96 could have just as easily grown up with Naruto, Wii, and the 2003 TMNT cartoon, but instead he related more to what his older relatives introduced him to, which is fine, but it doesn't give an accurate representation of how 1996 children grew up for the most part.  By his definition, as someone born in 1992, I should have primarily grown up with the Super Nintendo (which I had played, but certainly not owned) and never even owned a Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance.  I got my Nintendo 64 in 1998, back when I was 6, and before that, pretty much all I was ever exposed to was educational tools for computer, plus my dad's PS1 and his copy of the original Age of Empires.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/23/15 at 4:23 am

It feels as though ocarinafan96 is simply trying to justify the feeling that he's part of the older generation out of insecurity.  His tastes are really just mature for his age, and I think the fact that he had several older cousins born in the late 80s has shaped that.  He's emphasizing his love for culture from the millennial era of 1997-2001, when most people his age were still playing with kiddie toys or watching shows like Barney and Teletubbies during that time.  Sure, there were some people born in 1996 who embraced things like Recess and Nintendo 64, but 2-5 year-olds were not the prime audience that such culture were targeting.  ocarinafan96 could have just as easily grown up with Naruto, Wii, and the 2003 TMNT cartoon, but instead he related more to what his older relatives introduced him to, which is fine, but it doesn't give an accurate representation of how 1996 children grew up for the most part.  By his definition, as someone born in 1992, I should have primarily grown up with the Super Nintendo (which I had played, but certainly not owned) and never even owned a Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance.  I got my Nintendo 64 in 1998, back when I was 6, and before that, pretty much all I was ever exposed to was educational tools for computer, plus my dad's PS1 and his copy of the original Age of Empires.

From what I've heard, he likes all of those things and considers them still part of his childhood, just at the tail-end of his childhood.

Also, let's say someone born in 1996 got their cable cut off in 2005, or their parents were poor and couldn't buy them a Wii or 360. Their childhood was basically "pure early 2000s". I know ocarinafan isn't this way, but there are a lot of people who did grow up in a "behind the times" fashion.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/23/15 at 4:55 am

I define early childhood as ages 2-5 (toddlerhood, preschool, & pre-K life), core childhood as ages 6-10 (Kindergarten thru 5th grade), and late childhood as ages 11-14 (middle school). Whenever you spent time at age 6-10 years old is the pop culture you associate with the most with from a kids viewpoint on average. Like me being born in 1996, my peak childhood would have been from 2002-2006. If you go by the age 3-12 rule as full childhood, then age 5 in 2001 would technically be part of my core childhood, but I wouldn't put age 5 on the same level as 6-10. 5 is debatable but even most sources and parents say that 5 is still preschool aged and not really core kid aged yet like 6-10, because while I turned 5 in 2001, over half of 2001 I was still in pre-K in my early childhood and didn't start Kindergarten until August 2001, and even starting Kindergarten is just barely out of the preschool stage, so I wouldn't consider ALL of 2001 as apart of my core childhood. Same goes for 2007 too when I finished 5th grade and went onto middle school.

If I said that the Nintendo 64 was apart of my childhood, then I would have to say the Wii was apart of my childhood too. 6th generation gaming is what my core childhood was clearly spent in without a question, but 5th generation would be my early childhood while 7th generation (1st half of popularity) would be my late childhood. When it comes to millennial shows it depends on if it was still running by the time I hit elementary school or not. A millennial show like Recess, I do consider it as apart of my childhood, since reruns were played on Toon Disney and Disney Channel, however, I grew up with reruns though and not the original run on One Saturday Morning. Dexter's Lab on the other hand, lasted until late 2003, so whether the older episodes were played or the newer ones, I still consider it as apart of my generation. But I have to include Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar: the Last Airbender, or Ben 10 as apart of my generation too, since I was still in the latter half of my core childhood when these premiered, maybe not all 1996 born's liked the shows but I know many who in fact did like those including myself. You have lower class, middle class, and upper class people. Not everybody started watching TV or playing video games when they were 3 or 4, some folks started late at 9 or 10 years old. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Most of my memories of the pop culture geared towards kids began in late 2001/early 2002 for me. However, having older brothers or sisters might have changed that starting point for you.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/23/15 at 6:17 am

From what I've heard, he likes all of those things and considers them still part of his childhood, just at the tail-end of his childhood.

Well, simply by considering those things part of his childhood at all, he has at least somewhat of a resemblance to people born in years after him, including early Z'ers.

To be fair though, there's a lot to be said, just judging by his username.  Most people his age would associate with the GameCube or maybe the Wii, but instead his favorite Nintendo system was the one released the year he was born, his favorite game coming out when he was just 2.  You are right that childhood boundaries per person depend on more than just birth year, and someone's family's ability to buy toys has a lot to do with that.

My own core childhood occurred a bit later in my life than most, due to the fact that not only was I the oldest kid in my family, I didn't meet a whole lot of people significantly older than me to introduce me to the earlier kid culture; those who were a few years older than me were, at the time, interested in the same things as I was.  I also played a ton of educational tools on my Macintosh as a little kid and didn't discover Nintendo until I was nearly 6.  Codename: Kids Next Door turned out to be my favorite show on Cartoon Network, despite premiering after I had already turned 10, and I continued to loyally follow it until I was 12 and a half, well into middle school.  There are plenty of people a decade younger than me who grew up with that show as part of their core childhood, but that doesn't mean they grew up similarly to me on a general level.  They would have caught on to KND at the tail end of that show's relevance, just as ocarinafan96 entered his core childhood at a time the Nintendo 64 was still quite popular.  However, these same people who watched KND when they were 5 would have also grown up with things such as Frozen, Minions, Tobuscus, Angry Birds, and the 2012 TMNT cartoon as part of their later childhood, something I cannot relate to at all.  A lot of the kid culture from the mid-2010s is still appealing to people my age, but seeing Frozen as a junior in college is simply not the same experience as seeing it when you're 11.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/23/15 at 7:26 am

I never claimed that I grew up mainly in the Y2K Era though. I was just stating that even someone like me who grew up mostly in the early-mid 00's, could still relate pretty well with late 80's babies...

Not the SAME exact experiences, but many shows that ran in the 90's when they were in their core childhoods such as Hey Arnold, also ran in the early 00's (both new episodes and reruns) when I was in my core childhood, along with some other fads.

Anyways, while I prefer some things from my early childhood years like N64 Over Gamecube or Kids WB over 4KidsTV, I am not going to say that the late 90's was 'my time'. It was when I was discovering cartoon channels and other kid orientated things, hence why I am just as nostalgic over it as my main childhood years in the early & mid 00's.

Heck in the grand scheme of things I prefer Toonami during the 2001-2006 period over the late 90's period and the 6th Generation of Gaming as a whole more than the 5th generation. So please don't make accusations that I just claim stuff before my time, because that gets under my skin.

Besides whats the big deal? You seem to epitomize that you remember watching the Disney Renaissance Films as a way to justify why you consider your childhood to have began in the mid 90's, so why is it a problem when I talk about how I first watched Pokemon in my early childhood in the very late 90's/very early 00's?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/23/15 at 7:46 am

Also, let's say someone born in 1996 got their cable cut off in 2005, or their parents were poor and couldn't buy them a Wii or 360. Their childhood was basically "pure early 2000s". I know ocarinafan isn't this way, but there are a lot of people who did grow up in a "behind the times" fashion.

I agree with this

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/23/15 at 7:53 am

I define early childhood as ages 2-5 (toddlerhood, preschool, & pre-K life), core childhood as ages 6-10 (Kindergarten thru 5th grade), and late childhood as ages 11-14 (middle school). Whenever you spent time at age 6-10 years old is the pop culture you associate with the most with from a kids viewpoint on average. Like me being born in 1996, my peak childhood would have been from 2002-2006. If you go by the age 3-12 rule as full childhood, then age 5 in 2001 would technically be part of my core childhood, but I wouldn't put age 5 on the same level as 6-10. 5 is debatable but even most sources and parents say that 5 is still preschool aged and not really core kid aged yet like 6-10, because while I turned 5 in 2001, over half of 2001 I was still in pre-K in my early childhood and didn't start Kindergarten until August 2001, and even starting Kindergarten is just barely out of the preschool stage, so I wouldn't consider ALL of 2001 as apart of my core childhood. Same goes for 2007 too when I finished 5th grade and went onto middle school.

If I said that the Nintendo 64 was apart of my childhood, then I would have to say the Wii was apart of my childhood too. 6th generation gaming is what my core childhood was clearly spent in without a question, but 5th generation would be my early childhood while 7th generation (1st half of popularity) would be my late childhood. When it comes to millennial shows it depends on if it was still running by the time I hit elementary school or not. A millennial show like Recess, I do consider it as apart of my childhood, since reruns were played on Toon Disney and Disney Channel, however, I grew up with reruns though and not the original run on One Saturday Morning. Dexter's Lab on the other hand, lasted until late 2003, so whether the older episodes were played or the newer ones, I still consider it as apart of my generation. But I have to include Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar: the Last Airbender, or Ben 10 as apart of my generation too, since I was still in the latter half of my core childhood when these premiered, maybe not all 1996 born's liked the shows but I know many who in fact did like those including myself. You have lower class, middle class, and upper class people. Not everybody started watching TV or playing video games when they were 3 or 4, some folks started late at 9 or 10 years old. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Most of my memories of the pop culture geared towards kids began in late 2001/early 2002 for me. However, having older brothers or sisters might have changed that starting point for you.

I agree with all of this, I just consider my childhood to be a mixture of eras. I was 3-5 from 1999-2001 during the Y2K era, aka my early years. Age 5/6-10 in the early-mid 00's, my core childhood and my mathematical peak was from late 2003-mid 2004. Finally I had most of my late childhood from age 10/11 to about age 12 in the late 00's. I wouldn't consider 13 or 14 childhood though since that was when I was at the peak of puberty and discovering new things. However for the most part I agree with you

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/23/15 at 2:54 pm

I never claimed that I grew up mainly in the Y2K Era though. I was just stating that even someone like me who grew up mostly in the early-mid 00's, could still relate pretty well with late 80's babies...

Not the SAME exact experiences, but many shows that ran in the 90's when they were in their core childhoods such as Hey Arnold, also ran in the early 00's (both new episodes and reruns) when I was in my core childhood, along with some other fads.

Anyways, while I prefer some things from my early childhood years like N64 Over Gamecube or Kids WB over 4KidsTV, I am not going to say that the late 90's was 'my time'. It was when I was discovering cartoon channels and other kid orientated things, hence why I am just as nostalgic over it as my main childhood years in the early & mid 00's.

Heck in the grand scheme of things I prefer Toonami during the 2001-2006 period over the late 90's period and the 6th Generation of Gaming as a whole more than the 5th generation. So please don't make accusations that I just claim stuff before my time, because that gets under my skin.

Besides whats the big deal? You seem to epitomize that you remember watching the Disney Renaissance Films as a way to justify why you consider your childhood to have began in the mid 90's, so why is it a problem when I talk about how I first watched Pokemon in my early childhood in the very late 90's/very early 00's?

I think people sometimes forget that experience is very subjective. That's why I feel people probably shouldn't pattern other people's childhoods. My core childhood, according mqg96's definition, would be from about 1999-2003. Though I still value my early childhood memories from 1996-1998. At the end of the day, all that matters is what you think of your childhood, not what others think. Personally, I feel nostalgic for my entire childhood, be it early, core, or late. Sure, some may favor one part over another within their childhood. For example, I hated most of the music from my late childhood/early adolescence (11-14), but I still loved playing the video games (I remember being totally addicted to Kingdom Hearts in the mid 00s), watching tv shows (around this time, I started to watch non-kids shows), and going to see movies in the mid 00s. All in all, I guess I wouldn't consider myself a "decade" kid. I just think of my childhood as just being my childhood. So if you find that your early childhood is equal to your core childhood, more power to you.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/15 at 3:10 pm

I know I agree Zelek.  ::)

Written By: #Infinity on 12/23/15 at 4:23 pm

I thought you explicitly talked about how you didn't want to be associated with even the transition between late Y and early Z, which is why I thought you made this thread out of personal insecurity.  If I completely misinterpreted you, then I apologize.

I watched Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame as a toddler, but I don't consider them a part of my core childhood the way I do Hercules and Mulan, not to mention the vast majority of what I grew up with in the mid-90s was kiddie stuff and not regular childhood things like Nintendo and Cartoon Network.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/23/15 at 4:38 pm

I thought you explicitly talked about how you didn't want to be associated with even the transition between late Y and early Z, which is why I thought you made this thread out of personal insecurity.  If I completely misinterpreted you, then I apologize.

I watched Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame as a toddler, but I don't consider them a part of my core childhood the way I do Hercules and Mulan, not to mention the vast majority of what I grew up with in the mid-90s was kiddie stuff and not regular childhood things like Nintendo and Cartoon Network.

I made this thread because I wanted to have a discussion about how people feel about the age differences between late 80's babies and mid 90's babies. I know I'm in the transition between Generation Y & Z, I was just wanted to discuss about the similarities about late 80's and mid 90's babies, since we tend to talk about the differences too much. But it's what ever I guess

Also on the second post, what I was referring to was that if someone like yourself wanted to claim stuff from your early childhood years like watching Pocahontas or playing educational games on the computer; then someone my age has the right to claim stuff from their early childhood whether it's watching shows like Blues Clues or playing consoles like PS1. Once again I never claimed to have spent my core childhood in the late 90's/very early 00's, but I still find it just as nostalgic as I find most of my core childhood in the early & mid 00's

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/23/15 at 4:55 pm

Well in reality it's really simple. 1990-1994 born's relate more to 80's babies than 2000's babies, but 1995-1999 born's relate more to 2000's babies than 80's babies. I've always come up with this rule, but when it comes to childhood & teen years, you relate to people 3 years older or younger than you, however, when it comes to adulthood (18+), you can relate to people 15 years older or younger than you. Rather you relate to one side better or the other is based off your personal life.

Sigh... Not true man, not true!

Written By: mqg96 on 12/23/15 at 4:59 pm

Sigh... Not true man, not true!

I'm talking about when relating to the whole cohort of 80's babies vs. the whole cohort of 2000's babies. Sorry I had to post this on a numerical year standpoint. No offense to you or anybody else, but I feel like this thread was unnecessary and it's causing hostility and problems. However, I believe musicguy93 has the best post which is what I go by.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/23/15 at 5:09 pm

I'm talking about when relating to the whole cohort of 80's babies vs. the whole cohort of 2000's babies. Sorry I had to post this on a numerical year standpoint. No offense to you or anybody else, but I feel like this thread was unnecessary and it's causing hostility and problems. However, I believe musicguy93 has the best post which is what I go by.

True dat!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/23/15 at 5:29 pm

I'm really sorry if I was "causing hostility," I was just trying to make sense out of why ocarinafan96 made this thread when Zelek said it was unnecessary and repetitive.  But yeah, childhood era depends on the person, not just birth year.

Written By: af2010 on 12/24/15 at 9:37 am

Watching the same shows doesn't mean people had the same upbringing. A 50 year old and a 10 year old could have both watched Sesame Street as little kids.

Look at major events that actually impacted people's daily lives. As someone born in late 87, the internet didn't really become a mainstream thing until my late childhood (and was nothing compared to what it is today). 9/11 happened when I was a teen. The Great Recession Happened when I was a young adult. Compare where you were when those things happened and you see the difference.

It seems like some of the younger posters on this board are always looking for validation that they're "from the old school." Not to be rude, but... A lot of you are still a teenagers for crying out loud :P

Written By: Richbrings2life on 12/24/15 at 10:04 am

Look people, if you find the generations cohorts and childhood or teen years similarities discussion "unnecessary" and "boring", then you can come out of this discussion and find another one that Is different to what Ocarina96 is posting. Because, you're wasting your time looking up on things that you are not interested in and there are variety of other forum you can search on. Basic mathematics and common sense.

Written By: af2010 on 12/24/15 at 10:05 am

As far as what we have in common, I guess there might be some overlap with Y2K era kid culture like Pokemon. Similar to how I was into TMNT as a little kid, while someone 8/9 years older than me might have also been into it. We could have also liked some of the same music in the late 00s (I haven't really kept up with music in the 10s).

But like I said, I don't think popular culture is as important as paradigm-shifting events and your stage of life when they happened.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/24/15 at 10:28 am

Watching the same shows doesn't mean people had the same upbringing. A 50 year old and a 10 year old could have both watched Sesame Street as little kids.

Look at major events that actually impacted people's daily lives. As someone born in late 87, the internet didn't really become a mainstream thing until my late childhood (and was nothing compared to what it is today). 9/11 happened when I was a teen. The Great Recession Happened when I was a young adult. Compare where you were when those things happened and you see the difference.

It seems like some of the younger posters on this board are always looking for validation that they're "from the old school." Not to be rude, but... A lot of you are still a teenagers for crying out loud :P

This is like a "tough love" post.

Anyways, I see you're saying. What really matters in life is how the state of culture is when you "grow up" or "come of age". In the end, childhood while it is important and can effect your personality depending on how you were raised, is still a small part of life that doesn't really matter compared to what you learn and discover throughout your adulthood. BTW, I'll be 20 in February so....

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/15 at 3:01 am

I have a cousin born late 95, and he remembers all the N64 games I played in the the late 90s/early 2000s. So I believe you when you say you remember it and consider it a part of your childhood, especially if you had elder siblings.

We got my 10 year old sister to play Nightmare Creatures (1998),  we're awful people. Then we played Mario Party 2 and Banjo Tooie (both released 2000), and I share all those games as childhood games with him. Overall, a good retro Christmas ;D

As for late 80s babies, they had a very different childhood. 1980-1987 at least grew up on a different time table. We might be able to identify with each other as adults, but our childhoods weren't the same.

1988 and onwards I'm not so sure. You guys are Pokémon and N64 kids like us  ;D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 12:11 pm

I will admit this thread was a bit unnecessary, my apologies

As far as what we have in common, I guess there might be some overlap with Y2K era kid culture like Pokemon. Similar to how I was into TMNT as a little kid, while someone 8/9 years older than me might have also been into it. We could have also liked some of the same music in the late 00s (I haven't really kept up with music in the 10s).

But like I said, I don't think popular culture is as important as paradigm-shifting events and your stage of life when they happened.

Well this was where I was trying to convey. I'm not saying my childhood was the exact same as someone's from the late 80's, but rather some things someone from 89' for instance experienced in their peak/late childhoods like Pokemonania, 5th Generation Game Consoles, snacks like Wonderballs and such were things a 95er or a 96er could relate as well with their early/peak (although mostly early) childhoods.

That and plus the fact that we are now all adults now and for the most part in our 20's is why the differences, while still noticeable of course, have subsided, and would only continue to subside as the years go on.

However I do agree with mqg that when it comes down to your main relation of childhood/teenhood nostalgia typically those 3 years older than you and 3 years younger than you would be your main peers. So I guess I should've explained what this thread was about much better since theres a few misunderstandings from a few of the users.

Once again my apologies

I have a cousin born late 95, and he remembers all the N64 games I played in the the late 90s/early 2000s. So I believe you when you say you remember it and consider it a part of your childhood, especially if you had elder siblings.

We got my 10 year old sister to play Nightmare Creatures (1998),  we're awful people. Then we played Mario Party 2 and Banjo Tooie (both released 2000), and I share all those games as childhood games with him. Overall, a good retro Christmas ;D

As for late 80s babies, they had a very different childhood. 1980-1987 at least grew up on a different time table. We might be able to identify with each other as adults, but our childhoods weren't the same.

I'm from Early 96' and yeah I started gaming with consoles like the N64, PS1, & Dreamcast, amongst others. While I wasn't part of the MAIN N64 era kids like you would be since you was 5-7 during the peak in popularity of the system, however I still caught the tail end of popularity of the system so that should atleast count for something lol

My core childhood was sort of a mixture of 5th generation consoles and 6th generation consoles. I got a Gameboy Color in Christmas of 2000 (exactly 15 years ago OMG Wow :o), and a PS1 in 2001, and they were my main systems I played on until I got a Gameboy Advanced in mid 2003 and a PS2 for Christmas 2003 (exactly 12 years ago  ;D).

But thats just me though, as a few others on this forum who are my exact same age like mqg and ArticFox first systems were the Gamecube in 2002/3, and EazyMan's first was the N64 in 1999.

Written By: Toon on 12/25/15 at 1:34 pm

Anyone past 2-3 years apart in ages seem unrepeatable to me. Someone from the late 1980s would be not comparable to someone from the mid 1990s. If you mainly grew up in different decades then you won't really relate. It's like comparing someone from the late 1990s to someone from the mid 2000s. The late 1990s born grew up in the 2000s. But the mid 2000s born grew up in 2010s. They experienced SOME similar things, but at different stages in their life. Someone from 2006 would've seen what someone from 1999 seen, but the 2006 born would've been a kid while the 1999 born would've been a teenager. Same thing with the late 1980s and mid 1990s borns. 

Written By: gibbo on 12/26/15 at 5:32 am

Ummm  ... They look the same to me!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/27/15 at 9:35 pm

Holde up, you just contradicted yourself you said that late 80s babies had VERY different childhoods like us, yet you also said 1988 and 1989 are pokemon and N64 kids like us?! ??? ??? ???

Also, early-mid 80s babies did kinda have different kid culture experience, but late 80s babies or core Y's childhoods were NOT that dramatically that different from ours.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/27/15 at 9:35 pm

Ummm  ... They look the same to me!

Answers will vary with age! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/15 at 10:17 pm

Holde up, you just contradicted yourself you said that late 80s babies had VERY different childhoods like us, yet you also said 1988 and 1989 are pokemon and N64 kids like us?! ??? ??? ???

Also, early-mid 80s babies did kinda have different kid culture experience, but late 80s babies or core Y's childhoods were NOT that dramatically that different from ours.

Whoops. It's been a while I'm not even sure what I was trying to say.  ;D

Honestly, when your childhood was seems rather irrelevant once you grow older.

Written By: The Burger King on 12/28/15 at 2:53 pm

Yes, there is a massive difference (especially during childhood), but as time goes on (and as they get older) the differences will decrease.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/29/15 at 6:18 pm

No, there isn't a huge difference even for childhood. I think what some people forget is that during childhood, kids don't care how old someone is. They all play with each other regardless of age. As for the similarities, I see it a 5/6 year max limit. I'm sure people born in the late 80s and mid 90s can relate to each other with some things such as Pokemon, old cell phones, and video game consoles.

Written By: af2010 on 12/29/15 at 11:08 pm

No, there isn't a huge difference even for childhood. I think what some people forget is that during childhood, kids don't care how old someone is. They all play with each other regardless of age. As for the similarities, I see it a 5/6 year max limit. I'm sure people born in the late 80s and mid 90s can relate to each other with some things such as Pokemon, old cell phones, and video game consoles.

Um.. yea they do. A 12 year old isn't going to hang out with a 3 year old unless they're babysitting them.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/30/15 at 2:45 am

Um.. yea they do. A 12 year old isn't going to hang out with a 3 year old unless they're babysitting them.

A 12 year old can be a whole different animal from age 6-10 year old's too. Believe it or not. By the time you're 12 you are in middle school in your late childhood or early adolescence along with 11, 13, & early 14 year old's, and your interests start changing and you're no longer doing "kiddy" stuff. Now a current 12 year old could relate to the current 9 & 10 year old's when they were still in their core childhoods, but once they enter middle or high school they'll be able to relate again. However, someone who's currently 12 will never relate to the current 6-8 year old's or younger until they are all graduated from high school. Since I'm currently a young adult I relate to everybody who's in their late teens , 20's or even early 30's too, and those who are currently in elementary & middle school right now I'll be able to relate to once they graduate and get in the workforce one day. The differeence between you and your peers are huge when it comes to how you "grow" up as a kid or teen, but the differences aren't that big once you enter your adulthood or get in the workforce for your career. Like for example, compare all the adults 20-60 year's of age right now, then people currently in their 20's & 30's can easily relate to each other, however, go back to how those 20 & 30 year old's grew up when we were 0-17 years of age, then there's a huge difference in just 4 or 5 years so it's too big of a gap.

Check for new replies or respond here...