inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 2016 will be like a NEO 2008

Written By: the2001 on 12/25/15 at 11:25 am

Just watch lol  ( I am not talking about economy, but rather pop cultural  and with a new president)

Subject: Re: Late 2016 will be like a NEO 2008

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/15 at 11:50 am

If Trump gets elected, then it would be the opposite of late 2008 to me.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 11:56 am

If Trump gets elected, then it would be the opposite of late 2008 to me.

True but theres a huge chance Bernie Sanders might become POTUS, which would have a bit of a late 08'/early 09' feel cultural wise

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/28/15 at 1:04 pm

I would not be surprised however if the economy went downhill next year. I still say that we peaked economically in May-October 2014 and have started a downward spiral since early 2015. With the GDP Now estimates for this quarter as of December 23rd at a dissapointing 1.3% I think it is safe to say we are currently stagnate.

I think the democrats will lose next year (I think it is likely) since Hilary will be the candidate.

Bernie may have the young millenials votes but definitely not the majority of democratic voters.

Written By: 2001 on 12/28/15 at 2:17 pm

I would not be surprised however if the economy went downhill next year. I still say that we peaked economically in May-October 2014 and have started a downward spiral since early 2015. With the GDP Now estimates for this quarter as of December 23rd at a dissapointing 1.3% I think it is safe to say we are currently stagnate.

I think the democrats will lose next year (I think it is likely) since Hilary will be the candidate.

Bernie may have the young millenials votes but definitely not the majority of democratic voters.

It depends on who the Republican nominee is. If it's Trump and maybe Cruz, then Hillary has this hands down. Anyone else though, except Bush, then she might just lose.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider it too 'likely' that Democrats will lose. People said the same thing about Obama's second term and when Romney lost handily, everyone suffered amnesia and talked about how obvious it was that Obama would win  ;D

I agree with you on the economic downturn. China's growth is slowing down big time and the Euro Crisis is still raging on. I don't think 2016 will be a good year for economic growth. Possibly a global recession.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/28/15 at 3:51 pm

It depends on who the Republican nominee is. If it's Trump and maybe Cruz, then Hillary has this hands down. Anyone else though, except Bush, then she might just lose.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider it too 'likely' that Democrats will lose. People said the same thing about Obama's second term and when Romney lost handily, everyone suffered amnesia and talked about how obvious it was that Obama would win  ;D

I agree with you on the economic downturn. China's growth is slowing down big time and the Euro Crisis is still raging on. I don't think 2016 will be a good year for economic growth. Possibly a global recession.

Oh I did not mean as in it is likely the democrats will lose I meant it is likely that Hilary will be the nominee.  ;) However I do agree with analysis on the 2016 election. Hilary will win over Trump, Cruz is debatable but I think the best nominee to win the White House for the Republican Party is Marco Rubio. He can appeal to both tea partiers and moderates and has policies(except foriegn) that are not overly conservative but are not liberal.

2016 I think will be the start of another Global Recession or the beginning signs of one. China has slowed BIG time and I think they are slightly cooking the books with their GDP figures. The electiricty and auto sales, manufacturing PMI, ISM etc. make the GDP picture look around 4-5% not 7%. Many countries that are commodities linked and are big trading partners with China *looks dead on at Australia* will be hit the hardest. Global trade is also a sign of a Global Recession and it is down 12% YTD, not the best picture. I will put the chances of a Recession at a 60-70%.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/28/15 at 5:08 pm

True but theres a huge chance Bernie Sanders might become POTUS, which would have a bit of a late 08'/early 09' feel cultural wise

Although, he would be the first Jewish (and Independent) president of the U.S, it wouldn't really be the same compared to late 2008. When Obama got elected, sh!t tons of people were crazy because he was the first black (although mixed-race) president of the U.S, especially when there was a lot of civil rights leaders being invited to his inaugural because of that. Sure, a lot of Jews would love to see Bernie Sanders as president, but it wouldn't be as crazy.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/29/15 at 8:55 am

Although, he would be the first Jewish (and Independent) president of the U.S, it wouldn't really be the same compared to late 2008. When Obama got elected, sh!t tons of people were crazy because he was the first black (although mixed-race) president of the U.S, especially when there was a lot of civil rights leaders being invited to his inaugural because of that. Sure, a lot of Jews would love to see Bernie Sanders as president, but it wouldn't be as crazy.

You do make a good point. However, I think Bernie Sanders's message is very relatable to the average joe in America, such as raising the minimum wage and or fixing our infrastructure. Hence his huge populist support that he has garnered in the last 6 months through grass root support and individual donations.

So if Bernie were to win Presidency, I think if we were to judge his political substance and charisma, that it would be similar to Barack Obama in 08', since Obama was very relatable to Americans as well. He promised to end very unpopular policies at the time like the Iraq War (in which he accomplished) and ending The Bush Era Counter Terrorism policies like the PATRIOT Act and Shutting Down Gitmo (which unfortunately he didn't do, but hopefully a miracle occurs and he works on achieving those objectives next year).

So Bernie in a sense is like the new Obama, with the exception of Bernie not accepting big money from corporate donors money. I agree with a few others that, if Bernie wins expect to see a big cultural shift. However if Trump or any of the Repubs were to win I would expect a much bigger shift since they are more right wing than ever, and the views of the American people do not really reflect since we've become much more Liberal.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/29/15 at 9:08 am

Late 2016 will be like neo 2008 and neo 2000 too.

Just think about it. What has history told us? The same school year the new president gets elected and inaugurated seems to be the transition periods not just politically/worldly but the pop culture tends to change at the same time too.

LATE 2000 to MID 2001 (transition from late 90's to early 00's culture)

LATE 2008 to MID 2009 (transition from late 00's to early 10's culture)

LATE 2016 to MID 2017 (transition from mid 10's to late 10's culture)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/29/15 at 9:36 am

Late 2016 will be like neo 2008 and neo 2000 too.

Just think about it. What has history told us? The same school year the new president gets elected and inaugurated seems to be the transition periods not just politically/worldly but the pop culture tends to change at the same time too.

LATE 2000 to MID 2001 (transition from late 90's to early 00's culture)

LATE 2008 to MID 2009 (transition from late 00's to early 10's culture)

LATE 2016 to MID 2017 (transition from mid 10's to late 10's culture)

Written By: Ripley on 12/29/15 at 7:07 pm

I don't normally pay attention to politics for a number of reasons. But a recession seems likely. I don't usually tell people whether I vote or not cause I always get crapped out for it. But I actually like Hilary. Not cause she's a woman but I've just always liked her. And one reason why is I can tell she genuinally cares about people. And if anyone here disagrees with me I could care less. Bernie seems like a good choice as well but I'm more team Hilary. Again I'm not saying whether I'm going to vote or who I'm voting for. I will not ever vote Republican though. Though I consider myself independent if anything I've always favored the Democrat party. I think the main reason I'm posting this is to say that our government is really messed up.

Written By: tv on 01/02/16 at 4:22 pm

You do make a good point. However, I think Bernie Sanders's message is very relatable to the average joe in America, such as raising the minimum wage and or fixing our infrastructure. Hence his huge populist support that he has garnered in the last 6 months through grass root support and individual donations.

So if Bernie were to win Presidency, I think if we were to judge his political substance and charisma, that it would be similar to Barack Obama in 08', since Obama was very relatable to Americans as well. He promised to end very unpopular policies at the time like the Iraq War (in which he accomplished) and ending The Bush Era Counter Terrorism policies like the PATRIOT Act and Shutting Down Gitmo (which unfortunately he didn't do, but hopefully a miracle occurs and he works on achieving those objectives next year).

So Bernie in a sense is like the new Obama, with the exception of Bernie not accepting big money from corporate donors money. I agree with a few others that, if Bernie wins expect to see a big cultural shift. However if Trump or any of the Repubs were to win I would expect a much bigger shift since they are more right wing than ever, and the views of the American people do not really reflect since we've become much more Liberal.
Yeah they have moved more to the right since the 2010 mid-terms in the US Senate but not in the US House per VoteviewWordpress.com which is a scaling of US House and US Senate Idealogy.

The views of the American People-On social issues yes Republican Voters have moderated(per Gallup data.) Please don't view Conservative Talk Radio at where Republicans are at on social issues. The average voter is 34% Moderate Idealogy which is the same rate as Republican Voters overall.  Economic Issues-I don't think the average voter is ultra left wing on economic issues. Yes Trump is polarizing though because of his rhetoric though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/16 at 5:25 pm

I don't think Trump's going to win, despite being at the top of the polls.

Check for new replies or respond here...