inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man/Woman of the (insert decade)

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/06/16 at 9:19 am

I was watching an old newscast from 1987 that I found on an old videotape and a commentator stated that a "Man/Woman of the '80s" was one that entered adulthood during that decade itself. However, some people seem to peak in their spirit earlier or later on, and explained how it came about. Thus, a man/woman of the '80s would be those born between 1962 and 1971 based on turning 18 during that decade, but since the 1970-71ers were really just tweens/adolescence during the '80s, I consider those people "Men/Women of the '90s". They also compared a "Woman of the '80s" to the earlier as the first to mainly work outside of the home rather than staying in since those came of age during the '70s revolution, meaning that I'd more likely move the target range to 1955 to 1965, or being in their 20s for at least half of decade which is in contrast to a teen or settled down adult, and I'd to the same with men. Most of the great pop artists of the '80s were born in those years as well. As for the current 2010s, this would logically apply to all those born between 1985 and 1995, or the core Millenials. Those born before are seen as "past their heyday" and simply refining on what they started when they were in their 20s. But people have their opinion on what decade they associate someone with, and I'd like to post your thoughts.

Subject: Re: Man/Woman of the (insert decade)

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/06/16 at 2:47 pm

That seems a bit too technical, but it makes sense I guess. As a 1995 baby, I consider myself "A Child of the 2010's". The 2010's are my decade.

Subject: Woman of the 1860s

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/16 at 3:06 pm

1860s

Florence Nightingale

She laid the foundation of professional nursing with the establishment of her nursing school at St Thomas' Hospital in London.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 3:07 pm

The man of the 90's would probably be Kurt Cobain.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 3:26 pm

I'd say the decade where you spent age 18-25 the most would be your Young Adult Decade. So for me that would mostly be the 2010's being age 18 in 2014 and 25 by 2021. By the time your 25/26, your officially adult age no question, especially by the time your 30.

But its really upto on a person to person basis. If we were to go by this definition then the main 2010's young adults would be those born from 1989 - 1997, with a heavy emphasis on those in 1993, and with those in 1988 and 1998 being hybrids respectively.

So with that in mind anybody born in 1993 could possibly be the ultimate man or woman of the decade.

Here is the list of the most famous 93ers, if you guys are interested, http://www.famousbirthdays.com/year/1993.html

Written By: Ripley on 01/06/16 at 8:37 pm

I say Angelena Jolie is the Ultimate woman of the 2000s. She was very popular that decade and one of the most if not the most successful actresses at that time. She had plenty of work before that but didn't really get her popularity star until Tomb Raider in 2001.

Check for new replies or respond here...