inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The first internet generation?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/16 at 10:54 pm

???

Subject: Re: The first internet generation?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/16 at 11:04 pm

Maybe X? Either them or the boomers.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/16 at 11:22 pm

Maybe X? Either them or the boomers.

I can see X.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/16 at 11:24 pm

I can see X.

Yeah. I think X is the first generation to adapt to the internet and start to use it in their daily lives.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/16 at 11:24 pm

Yeah. I think X is the first generation to adapt to the internet and start to use it in their daily lives.

Late X?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/16 at 11:28 pm

Late X?

Actually, I think even early X would of had to adapt, too. They would of been in their late 20's and early 30's when the internet got big which means they would of been in the working world during the era of... dot coms!! Even early Millennials like myself were too young as we were still in high school.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/16 at 11:31 pm

Actually, I think even early X would of had to adapt, too. They would of been in their late 20's and early 30's when the internet got big which means they would of been in the working world during the era of... dot coms!! Even early Millennials like myself were too young as we were still in high school.

Before Baby Boom probably, that generation didn't care!  :)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/16 at 11:35 pm

Before Baby Boom probably, that generation didn't care!  :)

I think the old folks still found some use for the internet...

https://40.media.tumblr.com/f816ee683663568d44e6c3a7b00f95fb/tumblr_nlqyzb5vTN1st4w9lo1_500.png

;D ;D ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/16 at 9:09 pm

If you're talking about the first generation to use the internet in large numbers then it would be Gen X, but if you mean the first generation to "grow up" with the internet I would say Zers (or whatever they're called these days). Millennials/Yers, particularly those of us in the first half of the generation, largely grew up without access to the internet and had to adapt to using it in high school and college.

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/15/16 at 9:31 pm

Those who argue that "Gen Z" begins in 1995 (which means most marketers nowadays) state that since the Internet became popular in 1995, those born in that year were really the first to be born "into" the Internet.

Others argue that Gen Z begins around 2000 instead, since the Internet didn't become "ubiquitous" until 2005, when it started to lose most of its Web 1.0 charm.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/15/16 at 9:40 pm

Those who argue that "Gen Z" begins in 1995 (which means most marketers nowadays) state that since the Internet became popular in 1995, those born in that year were really the first to be born "into" the Internet.

Others argue that Gen Z begins around 2000 instead, since the Internet didn't become "ubiquitous" until 2005, when it started to lose most of its Web 1.0 charm.

When do you think the post-Millennial generation begins? I think that people used to say it began in 1995 a few years ago but now I hear a lot of people say 2000 is the starting point. Personally, it makes more sense to me that it begins between 1998-2000. My younger cousins feel more like late millennials than post-millennials.

This is true. The internet wasn't really truly that widespread until 2005. By then, broadband and home PC's were really common and workplaces/businesses started to incorporate the internet more and more in their services.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 1:07 am

When do you think the post-Millennial generation begins? I think that people used to say it began in 1995 a few years ago but now I hear a lot of people say 2000 is the starting point. Personally, it makes more sense to me that it begins between 1998-2000. My younger cousins feel more like late millennials than post-millennials.

This is true. The internet wasn't really truly that widespread until 2005. By then, broadband and home PC's were really common and workplaces/businesses started to incorporate the internet more and more in their services.

I always thought that 1996, or 1997, was the last year of the Millenials.  ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 2:06 am

I always thought that 1996, or 1997, was the last year of the Millenials.  ;)

At first I wasn't sure what I'd end it but as time has gone on, it seems ending it around 1998 makes sense. Early Millennials would probably be 1981-1986, mid Millennials would be 1987-1992 and late Millennials would be 1993-1997.

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/16/16 at 4:03 am

IMHO, 1997 is the last year of Gen Y

Written By: aja675 on 01/16/16 at 4:04 am

By the way, people say that there is a bit of a mindset shift when you get to 1997-borns, like from 1997 and later, they get more Z in mindset.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 01/16/16 at 5:32 am

I was born in 1991 and I consider myself to have 'grown up with the internet'. I was 8 years old when I started using it regularly, so although I remember not having internet access, I had been using it for a few years by the end of my childhood.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/16 at 11:52 am

I think the first generation of internet regulars were Generation X babies. Then came Generation Y (along with early Z) babies in the '00s. And now we have Gen Z babies who are probably the first generation to use the Internet on mobile devices.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 12:17 pm

IMHO, 1997 is the last year of Gen Y

They seems about right.

By the way, people say that there is a bit of a mindset shift when you get to 1997-borns, like from 1997 and later, they get more Z in mindset.

There is!? Kids born from 1993 to 1997 all seem the same to me.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 11:49 am

I was born in 1991 and I consider myself to have 'grown up with the internet'. I was 8 years old when I started using it regularly, so although I remember not having internet access, I had been using it for a few years by the end of my childhood.

Same. Except born in 93, and have had Internet since I was 4 or 5. It was mostly my dad who used it though. Started using Internet more in 2003 when he bought us our a separate computer and also upgraded to Broadband. But the Internet always existed as far as my living memory goes.

My mom is Gen X and I don't consider her Internet generation. She was like 30 when we got the Internet and she's still scared of email and online shopping, she faxes whenever she can. She didn't go on the Internet regularly until we got the iPad.

I think people are confusing the X/Y cuspers of 1977-1983 with actual pure Gen Xers.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/18/16 at 9:07 pm

Late X.  They were the pioneers and really kicked the Internet into popularity during the 1990s.

Hard to believe today's high schoolers have likely never used dial-up.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/18/16 at 9:25 pm

Late X.  They were the pioneers and really kicked the Internet into popularity during the 1990s.

Gen Zers grew up with laptops/smartphones/tablets with wi-fi in the late 2000s and 2010s, while Late Millennials grew up only with desktops with broadband in the early/mid 2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/18/16 at 10:30 pm

The second half of Generation X. They were the ones that made it culturally relevant like it is today. If it weren't for them, the internet would very likely still be used for business and scientific organizations.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/16 at 7:17 am

I'm a sophomore in college and I never really used dial-up either. Yes my parents had it but I didn't use the internet then. I only used the Windows 98 computer for CD-ROM games or whenever my dad would play music on there. I was about to turn 6 by the time my parents switched to Windows XP and broadband (Christmas 2001), and by the start of 2002 I was using the internet regularly and going to a lot of kid sites. However, it seems like my parents got ours earlier than a lot of people on here from what I've noticed.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/16 at 7:24 am

The first internet generation? If we go by the first ones who came of age when it started getting big around the mid to late 90's, then it would probably be late X or early Y. However, honestly I feel like not everybody had it yet that early. I believe it's only fair to say who is the first generation of people to grow up with internet around the time it truly got popular with big name websites. Plus when the internet really became widespread with broadbands too. Gen X is really the last generation to not grow up with internet for most of their kid, teen, and young adult years combined. So overall it's definitely around Gen Y/Millennials who are the first internet generation.

Written By: aja675 on 01/19/16 at 8:16 am

I'm a sophomore in college and I never really used dial-up either. Yes my parents had it but I didn't use the internet then. I only used the Windows 98 computer for CD-ROM games or whenever my dad would play music on there. I was about to turn 6 by the time my parents switched to Windows XP and broadband (Christmas 2001), and by the start of 2002 I was using the internet regularly and going to a lot of kid sites. However, it seems like my parents got ours earlier than a lot of people on here from what I've noticed.

I have had Internet since I was 5 going on 6, but our family used dial-up until 2009. As late as the late '00s, our lifestyle was still like 1998-2003, albeit with YouTube. (I'm from the Philippines, which explains all of this.)

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 3:05 pm

today's high schoolers only know stuff like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/19/16 at 7:47 pm

today's high schoolers only know stuff like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Gen Zers don't know the world before social media, not even the Web 1.0. Late Millennials, like myself, know what was it like back in the early 2000s without social media, just when the internet started to gain popularity.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/16 at 8:01 pm

Gen Zers don't know the world before social media, not even the Web 1.0. Late Millennials, like myself, know what was it like back in the early 2000s without social media, just when the internet started to gain popularity.

From 2003-2006, the big 4 social media sites came out which would eventually define the social media culture throughout the mid-late 2000's-present. Myspace (2003), Facebook (2004, Youtube (2005), and Twitter (2006). You have to remember how the internet was before the mid 2000's in order to had experienced the internet before social media got big.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 8:28 pm

From 2003-2006, the big 4 social media sites came out which would eventually define the social media culture throughout the mid-late 2000's-present. Myspace (2003), Facebook (2004, Youtube (2005), and Twitter (2006). You have to remember how the internet was before the mid 2000's in order to had experienced the internet before social media got big.

Back when what you did on the Internet stayed on the Internet.

Nowadays, the Internet and reality are so intertwined. They're almost one and the same  :o No one looked your name up on Google in 2006 when they hired you lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/19/16 at 8:55 pm

Even though I was born in late 1999, I recall using the Internet back in 2003. Also, what's with people like you saying that social media was addicting as today, when it wasn't even that popular during the mid 2000s. Hell, Twitter started to rise by popularity during the early 2010s when people used hashtags.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/19/16 at 9:00 pm

That's because they were born from late 1997 to late 2001 (if you lived in Canada or states like New York).

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 9:08 pm

Even though I was born in late 1999, I recall using the Internet back in 2003. Also, what's with people like you saying that social media was addicting as today, when it wasn't even that popular during the mid 2000s. Hell, Twitter started to rise by popularity during the early 2010s when people used hashtags.

I remember that pretty much everyone had an MSN account by 2003. (I guess the equivalent would be AOL in the US).

There were social media sites like MySpace, Orkut, Bebo, Hi5, (Facebook) etc. in the mid-2000s, although none hit quite the critical mass that Facebook did in 2008.

My favourite website in the mid-2000s was Habbo Hotel. That game/chat room was a smashing success among Canadian and British teens. I think I saw a few teens playing it 2002/2003, but it hit its peak around 2005-2007; that's also when I started using it.

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/19/16 at 9:24 pm

I know not everyone's the same, but I've heard a fair amount of people claim they had dial-up until 2007.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 9:33 pm

I know not everyone's the same, but I've heard a fair amount of people claim they had dial-up until 2007.

Probably lived in rural areas.

Written By: aja675 on 01/19/16 at 9:52 pm

Even though I was born in late 1999, I recall using the Internet back in 2003.

Did you use dial-up?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/16 at 11:40 pm

I stopped using dial-up in 2002, or 2003.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/16 at 11:41 pm

I've heard of the early years of the internet as the wilderness years by some people.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/20/16 at 7:19 am

When I think about it in terms of the older end in terms of adaption, I see the Greatest/GI generation as the earliest to "try it out", given that they were already senior citizens when the Internet became popular and the dying WWI Generation before it at the time was either too old to try or were too frail to try. My late grandfather (b. 1919) had the Internet and even though it was slow, occasionally tried basic functions such as email around the early-mid 00s before he started to get unhealthy before he passed away in 2012. But generally speaking, the Silent generation is the oldest generation to widely adapt to the Internet and are today in a similar situation with the smartphone/tablet/social media technology in that a few may try, but most are set in their ways. Generally speaking though it was Generation X as teens/young adults who launched its popularity via BBS/college campuses in the '80s/early '90s before its widespread boom, in which a combination of Boomers, Xers, and some of the older Millenials hitting adolescence were trying out in the 1995-99 era.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/16 at 3:08 pm

Back when what you did on the Internet stayed on the Internet.

Nowadays, the Internet and reality are so intertwined. They're almost one and the same  :o No one looked your name up on Google in 2006 when they hired you lol.

Now you can search your own name.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/16 at 11:50 pm

That's because they were born from late 1997 to late 2001 (if you lived in Canada or states like New York).

There are 1998 borns in a first-year university course I'm taking (it's an elective). They were too young to vote in the federal election we had a few months ago.  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 1:09 am

There are 1998 borns in a first-year university course I'm taking (it's an elective). They were too young to vote in the federal election we had a few months ago.  :o

Oh, I was about say.... lol There aren't any 98 born at my university, yet. ;D  There are a few 97ers that are freshemens though!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/25/16 at 1:34 pm

Oh, I was about say.... lol There aren't any 98 born at my university, yet. ;D  There are a few 97ers that are freshemens though!

I met a girl who was born in 2000 who was in one of my classes and she told me she was home schooled and was taking college classes. Now, she said she is almost done with high school and then soon after she will be a full-time student I think.

Check for new replies or respond here...