inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Obscure" music your parents introduced you to

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/17/16 at 1:20 am

It seems that with most people under 35,  their knowledge of "old music" often extends only to radio hits that have been overplayed and drilled into one's skull for decades (Hotel California, Don't Stop Believin', Won't get fooled again, Stairway to heaven, etc.). Usually, their parents will play these songs while they're in the car with their kids.

That being said, what are some bands/songs/albums who your parents played a lot in the car, but seem to be rather obscure in contrast to other "dad music"? Here are some of my examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhQm48rH8Vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBm1MNb5xrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWqe7l6JK8

Subject: Re: "Obscure" music your parents introduced you to

Written By: violet_shy on 01/17/16 at 4:25 pm

First one that came to mind

euhgMBgTB34

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/17/16 at 4:39 pm

When I look at the YouTube videos for these bands, they've only got like 100,000 views on average. Also, on RateYourMusic, there are only around 50 ratings.

That's what I mean by obscure "dad music".

Written By: #Infinity on 01/17/16 at 5:50 pm

I discovered Steely Dan largely through my dad, who owned their entire catalogue on CD except for Gaucho.  They've been one of my favorite bands since my second semester of 11th grade.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/16 at 6:26 pm

My mother listened to Elvis and and father liked Glenn Miller, not obscure but I like them both.
On the other hand; because of me, my son likes The Dead Kennedys, The Dead Milkmen and
The Tubes. My daughter listens to Emerson Lake & Palmer, Triumvirat and Jethro Tull and my
granddaughter listens to Trivium, Epica and Night Wish. I also turned them all on to some
other music such as The Peanut Butter Conspiracy and The 13th Floor Elevators.

Written By: Ripley on 01/18/16 at 9:48 pm

New Wave. By the time I payed attention to what she played on the sterio it was no longer popular.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/18/16 at 10:20 pm

My father introduced me to blues with BB King, and Muddy Waters, and Ray Charles. I think I was a hipster because I knew what it was. Being six, riding around in my daddy's restored 65 Chevy Impala and playing all those old songs.

My mom introduced me to Motown--Martha and Vandellas, The Miracles, the Supremes, so on and so forth.

(both of these occurred during the late 80s, early 90s and my Spotify playlists are littered with these songs. )

I just like music with a generally positive message and light to no cursing.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 3:11 pm

My father introduced me to blues with BB King, and Muddy Waters, and Ray Charles. I think I was a hipster because I knew what it was. Being six, riding around in my daddy's restored 65 Chevy Impala and playing all those old songs.

My mom introduced me to Motown--Martha and Vandellas, The Miracles, the Supremes, so on and so forth.

(both of these occurred during the late 80s, early 90s and my Spotify playlists are littered with these songs. )

I just like music with a generally positive message and light to no cursing.

same here, that's my type of music I listen to.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/05/16 at 5:25 pm

I know almost nobody is replying to this thread, but I'm bumping it with more obscure music.

MvFRMMUga0s
jrbQPUKyku4
8Y92lZEPn9o
GJ8Ej7TaOl0

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 7:41 am

I think I introduced myself into obscure music. Usually, my parents listened to their old 70s and 80s music when I was little. But when I discovered Youtube, I would usually listen to techno music from the mid and late 2000s. So I guess it was kinda obscure, if you think about it.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/29/16 at 7:30 pm

I gained an introduction to blues and country through my dad. I learned about Carl Perkins, who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes". My mom was a big fan of instrumental music. I think that's where I got my love for old movie themes.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/03/16 at 6:31 pm

EASY! I've said this a bunch of times.
At the age of 6 and 7,My father introduced me to old school Jazz(Louis Armstrong, Theolnius Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. Tony Bennett) 60s/70s R&B music(mowtown artists and Atlantic artists like Temptations, 5th Dimension, Earth wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Aretha, Jimmy ruffin, Diana Ross,) Classic Rock (Beatles, Queen, The Who, Eagles, Chicago, Steve Miller Band, Zepplin etc. )

To this day I still listen to this music. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/03/16 at 6:33 pm

Theolnius Monk

My father had my middle name as Thelonious because of how he loved his music.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/11/16 at 6:16 pm

Ok, Zelek, here I am! My parents weren't really into too much but I have a lot of older friends and relatives with interesting music taste.

My uncle lives in Canada and every once in a while when I'd visit, he would show me some cool 80's hits from back then:

27-Ub4Yc5Qg

FzqX6VwaKMk

M54TzJh4KLE

4IZ9IPwFRSw

He's got a diverse music taste so I got him into some Canadian Punk Rock:

twSREBowTwQ

ZiK7qLkqNVc

ZW5TnZQeIbs

ndBJbtZjNok

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/11/16 at 11:42 pm

Ok, Zelek, here I am! My parents weren't really into too much but I have a lot of older friends and relatives with interesting music taste.

My uncle lives in Canada and every once in a while when I'd visit, he would show me some cool 80's hits from back then:

27-Ub4Yc5Qg

FzqX6VwaKMk

M54TzJh4KLE

4IZ9IPwFRSw

He's got a diverse music taste so I got him into some Canadian Punk Rock:

twSREBowTwQ

ZiK7qLkqNVc

ZW5TnZQeIbs

ndBJbtZjNok

Nice.

So, what do you think of the songs I linked? They good or they suck? :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/12/16 at 5:53 pm

Nice.

So, what do you think of the songs I linked? They good or they suck? :P

They're no Starship but they're pretty good. ;)

Written By: XYkid on 12/25/16 at 3:36 am

My parents both grew up in Texas, so I grew up listening to a lot of lesser known bands and singers from there, most of them were country or pop /rock with country influence.
My dad loves bluegrass and Americana music, and would even go to music festivals for that, and would discover a new bands very time he did.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/01/17 at 11:41 pm

I don't know if they introduced me to anything obscure (I of course listen to obscure stuff though), but the closest to it for my mom would be a lot of those female indie coffeehouse type singers, she listens to Norah Jones (not obscure, I know, haha), Kate Miller-Heidke, Ingrid Michaelson, etc. I don't actually listen to those artists, but I hear them because of her.

My dad is a big classic rock guy, however, he hasn't really introduced me to anyone obscure whatsoever. He introduced me to artists like Queen, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi, Def Lepard, etc. I listen to some of that stuff, but most of the stuff I listen to is from different genres. He also likes some country, but I've never liked country music (like my mom who hates country music), only country I like is Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, people like that.

Check for new replies or respond here...