inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you found a time machine and you could only make one trip, which year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/16 at 7:23 am

Back to schooldays so that I can revise better and retake my exams.

Suddenly I find that I am the creator of this topic, I like to state right here and now, I am not the originator. It was someone else

Subject: Re: Re: If you found a time machine and you could only make one trip, which year?

Written By: #Infinity on 01/19/16 at 9:17 pm

If the trip was contingent with my personal life, then I'd probably go back to 2007 so that I could go through high school again, having learned from my previous mistakes and being able to make stronger friendships.

If I could time travel back to any year, without affecting my previous personal life, then I'd probably visit 1995, but if the trip was permanent, I'd probably go back to 1981 so that I could experience all of the cultural 80s and 90s.

Subject: Re: Re: If you found a time machine and you could only make one trip, which year?

Written By: oingo_fan on 01/19/16 at 9:34 pm

1987.  I'd tell the young me to not let "the one" slip away... :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/16 at 11:13 pm

I'm still deciding between 1985, 1986, and 1987.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 11:18 pm

That's easy. Go back to 1985 so you can experience all three!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/16 at 11:20 pm

That's easy. Go back to 1985 so you can experience all three!  ;D

Oh my God, that is genius. I HAVE TO karma you for this!!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/16 at 2:29 pm

1987.  I'd tell the young me to not let "the one" slip away... :-\\

You were in a relationship?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/20/16 at 2:30 pm

I would probably travel back to the year I was born: 1974.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 2:31 pm

Let the flux capacitor decide?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 2:34 pm

Let the flux capacitor decide?

Layman's terms, please.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 2:44 pm

Get into your De Loren, and drive at 88mph.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/21/16 at 8:36 am

I'd go back anywhere from 1981 to 2003. I'd love to experience the early 80's Hardcore Punk scene and mid-late 80's Pop Punk scene then relive the 90's-early 00's Pop Punk scene.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/21/16 at 5:06 pm

I would go back to 1994.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/21/16 at 6:26 pm

I would have to go back to 1990.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/21/16 at 9:43 pm

I would have to go back to 1990.

You're just as predictable as I am!!

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 9:46 pm

Probably last Friday. I should have studied at the library instead of eating that soggy pizza at that engineering party.  8-P Now I'm playing catch up.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 7:06 am

Probably last Friday. I should have studied at the library instead of eating that soggy pizza at that engineering party.  8-P Now I'm playing catch up.

Could that be arranged?

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 7:09 am

Blizzard Of 1888

http://myinwood.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Blizzard-of-1888-r.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/22/16 at 11:33 am

Early 80s Black Flag, now that's a concert worth going to!

For sure! Though, I'd say the best Black Flag era is probably back in 1978/1979 with Keith Morris. Speaking of Keith, seeing the Circle Jerks during the Group Sex/Wild/Golden Shower era would be pretty rad.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/22/16 at 12:44 pm

1986 One of the best years of my life.

Written By: oingo_fan on 01/23/16 at 1:17 am

You were in a relationship?  ???

Yup.  I got the career, the stock options but "she" slipped away.  I'd give it all for her in a heartbeat.  The movie "Family Man" sums it all up pretty well.

Written By: d90 on 01/23/16 at 9:54 pm

I would go to 2150 and buy technology and medicine and explore the web and take back that knowledge with me to now in 2016

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/23/16 at 10:09 pm

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 11:48 pm

Subject: Re: If you found a time machine and you could only make one trip, which year?

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/01/16 at 12:38 pm

1987. The best year of my life.

Subject: Re: If you found a time machine and you could only make one trip, which year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 12:50 pm

Blizzard Of 1888

http://myinwood.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Blizzard-of-1888-r.jpg
That does look cold?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 1:00 pm

Personal Reasons: Any year from the Late 90's through the Mid 00's

For Fun: Probably the 1980's & then I would just live through out that the 80's,90's, 00's, and today

If I were able to change my birth year: I'd probably be born in the mid 70's so I could grow up as a kid and teen in the 80's & early 90's, or be born in the mid 50's and grow up as a kid and teen in the 60's & early 70's

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 1:03 pm

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 1:17 pm

I had a feeling you'd say that ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 1:24 pm

I had a feeling you'd say that ;D

Well, OP said if you could only make one trip. So I can't break the rules.  :P

Although, I do agree that being born in the mid 70's to experience the kid culture throughout the 80's and being a teen/young adult throughout the 90's would have been an awesome experience. Especially with how Atlanta was throughout the 90's with the Braves and the Summer Olympics. The mainstream pop culture throughout the early to mid 90's like the music or movies are cool as well.

But TBH I don't really care for the 90's pop culture that much. I only care for the early 2000's culture and onwards in my life since that's what I remember the most as long as I've been alive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 1:34 pm

One of these!

http://deloreantimemachines.com/uploads/Flux_Flash1.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 1:43 pm

Explained

https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web04/2010/8/17/13/how-the-flux-capacitor-works-29284-1282065640-18.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 3:16 pm

That does look cold?

I wouldn't mind going back to that year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 3:17 pm

I wouldn't mind going back to that year.
You could make a mint buy selling fur coats and coffee on a street corner.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 3:54 pm

You could make a mint buy selling fur coats and coffee on a street corner.

I meant the snowstorm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 3:55 pm

I meant the snowstorm.
You will freeze...

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 3:58 pm

You will freeze...

I could wear warm layers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 4:08 pm

I meant the snowstorm.
1888 in London would be a different story, for that was the year of Jack The Ripper.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/01/16 at 4:59 pm

One trip only?...Hmm. This one's hard. There are two years I would go back to. Either 1993, or 2006. I guess I would choose 2006. Where's that time machine!? ;D

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 5:38 pm

One trip only?...Hmm. This one's hard. There are two years I would go back to. Either 1993, or 2006. I guess I would choose 2006. Where's that time machine!? ;D

It would be hard! I have a few options.

1990- I turned 5 this year. My sister, me and 3 cousins spent so much time together, we were all best friends. Now we dont talk to them cause they've changed in a bad way. I miss the good old days. I could relive my childhood. And change things to make my adult life better.

2003- That year I graduated and had a fun summer. After that I could have got a good job, done some traveling, went to school and made better choices.

2006- This is what I call our freedom year, mine, my mom and sister's. My mom finally divorced our step father. I should have tried harder to get a job I would actually like.

2008- This was a great year. Me and my cousin, the other one I was close to, had so many good times.

So my choices were a combination of going back for a good time and changing the future.  I think 1990 is at the bottom of choices. School was horrible. But I look at it like this: If I can't go back to 2003 can I at least go back to 2006, if not 2006 then at least 2008? For the most part things have been bad since the end of 2009.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/01/16 at 5:41 pm

Go to 1986 and see my parents when they were like in their 20s in person! :D  That would be crazy! :D

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 5:42 pm

From a strictly pop culture standpoint...

1993-1998 is where I would go. I would like to be the age I am now, almost 31, in those years. I could go to R rated movies without an adult, though I did get to go to Scream 2 with my step mom when I was 12. I could have bought those films and any PA CD I wanted, went to awesome concerts and all kinds of stuff.

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 6:08 pm

Go to 1986 and see my parents when they were like in their 20s in person! :D  That would be crazy! :D

My parents were cool. My mom had long brown hair, so pretty and shiny with cute bangs. She didn't wear those acid wash jeans though which is great lol My dad had a fro. I know most white men can't grow one but he did and it looked great on him. He also had thick framed glasses. He was into photography, I wish he wouldn't have gave that up.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/16 at 6:09 pm

It depends.  Am I going back to relive past times, or am I going back as my current self, possibly warning my younger self about the possible outcome of a decision?

Looking back, if I could relive my life from a certain point, it would probably be high school graduation.  I would have gone through college differently and not passed up the opportunities I passed up.

If it were to warn my younger self not to do something, I would go back to 2011.  I made many pivotal decisions between 2012 and 2014 that have possibly set me back in life 5 years to a decade.

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 6:12 pm

If it were to warn my younger self not to do something, I would go back to 2011.  I made many pivotal decisions between 2012 and 2014 that have possibly set me back in life 5 years to a decade.

There are many things I would warn my future self about. This is the main reason I would like to go back.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 6:33 pm

1999/2000. I miss when I was friends with every kid in the neighbourhood. We would play soccer, video games, climb trees/fences, chase the ice cream truck, ride our bikes until the sunset and do all sorts of crazy stuff. My favourite memories are the sleepovers. Oh man, sleepovers and slumber parties are so much fun.

Other than that, if it's a "go back and change the course of your life" situation, then probably 2004. I've made a lot of mistakes through my teenage life 2004 - 2009 that could really be rectified. But those choices don't really affect me all that much nowadays, I spent all of 2009-2016 fixing them.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/01/16 at 6:42 pm

There are many things I would warn my future self about. This is the main reason I would like to go back.

Don't we all wish to do this. I know I do, I have imagined it many times throughout my life.

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 7:38 pm

Don't we all wish to do this. I know I do, I have imagined it many times throughout my life.

I would have made my career happen, writing. Now I don't get much time or I'm not in the right state of mind. I get so stressed I need a clear head. I do think of ideas from time to time though. Also I really missed out on getting to travel. I would have to save and I can't even pay my phone bill. I know my parents would have helped me with it back then.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:07 am

1888 in London would be a different story, for that was the year of Jack The Ripper.

He was a dangerous man?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 8:08 am

He was a dangerous man?
More than dangerous, he (she or them) were murderous!

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:08 am

I would back to the late 60's when My Parents were in their 20's.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:09 am

More than dangerous, he (she or them) were murderous!

So he would be like those nutcases you'd see on the streets these days?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 8:15 am

So he would be like those nutcases you'd see on the streets these days?
The true identity of Jack The Ripper has never been proven.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/02/16 at 1:18 pm

Either 2010 or 1999.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 02/02/16 at 1:40 pm

I think 1999. It was the peak year of my childhood, but it would also be interesting to experience the year as an adult to compare adult life then vs now. Perhaps I could try to get a job at the same company I work for now, and meet the younger versions of my colleagues who are still there!

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 2:50 pm

I would like to go back to August 1969 to watch My Parents get married.

Written By: Ripley on 02/02/16 at 4:32 pm

:) That's cool :)

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 02/02/16 at 10:58 pm

I would go back to the mid 90s starting at about 1994, I 'd honestly go back to anytime between the mid 90s and the early 2000s so from about 1994-2002 thereabout. These years were basically my entire childhood and the best years of my life as teenhood and adulthood haven't treated me as well as childhood has.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/03/16 at 12:16 am

I would go back to 1987. There, I made a decision.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/16 at 3:56 am

Remember you are not allowed to interact with your parents.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/03/16 at 1:38 pm

Well, obviously it would be great to go back to, like, 1994 and relive my elementary school days, but I feel like that's sort of the standard cliche answer.

One interesting question is, if you could go back in time and stop any infamous historical tragedies, would you do it? If so, which ones would you stop? How about going back to 1865 and preventing Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated, or 1912 and warning the Titanic about that iceberg? You could even go back to 2001 and stop 9/11 from happening, which almost certainly would prevent both the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq from ever happening.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/16 at 4:04 pm

Remember you are not allowed to interact with your parents.

I understand.

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/16 at 8:28 pm

One interesting question is, if you could go back in time and stop any infamous historical tragedies, would you do it? If so, which ones would you stop? warning the Titanic about that iceberg?

While I don't remember off the top of my head what it was called, a man wrote a story about a ship with a demise. It was very similar to what actually happened. He wrote it well before The Titanic sank. Weird coincidence but its true.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/03/16 at 10:32 pm

I know I usually would scream 80s but I have to change it to like 96/97. Michael Jackson, 3T, and TAFKAP were all on tour at the same time and those are some shows I'd have to go see.  ::) I could suffer the fashion and makeup to see all my boys.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/16 at 3:22 pm

Well, obviously it would be great to go back to, like, 1994 and relive my elementary school days, but I feel like that's sort of the standard cliche answer.

One interesting question is, if you could go back in time and stop any infamous historical tragedies, would you do it? If so, which ones would you stop? How about going back to 1865 and preventing Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated, or 1912 and warning the Titanic about that iceberg? You could even go back to 2001 and stop 9/11 from happening, which almost certainly would prevent both the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq from ever happening.

I would probably prevent Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated but wouldn't he shoot me? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/07/16 at 6:34 pm

I would probably prevent Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated but wouldn't he shoot me? ???

Not unless you grab John Wilke's gun and shoot him. You would probably be a hero if you do that.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/16 at 3:53 pm

Not unless you grab John Wilke's gun and shoot him. You would probably be a hero if you do that.

or I could just set him free.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 5:25 am

Stopping John Wilkes Booth from jumping of the balcony and breaking his ankle?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 5:26 am

How about the other members of the conspiracy?

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 7:53 am

Stopping John Wilkes Booth from jumping of the balcony and breaking his ankle?

I would have to catch him first.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 7:53 am

How about the other members of the conspiracy?

Who are other members? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/16 at 6:51 am

Who are other members? ???
One that bottled out killing the vice-president, and there was a woman too, there were others, but I am not up on US history. All were hanged.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/16 at 3:26 pm

I would travel back to a few months before Elvis wanted to kill himself in 1977.

Written By: Toon on 03/31/16 at 5:39 am

You could even go back to 2001 and stop 9/11 from happening, which almost certainly would prevent both the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq from ever happening.

I'd travel back to 2000 and relive the year. Then when 2001 rolls around I'll prevent 9/11 from happening. Live through 2002 and 2003 as I loved those years when considering my personal life. And then continue to go through the rest of the decades (although I may skip 2006).

Written By: Howard on 03/31/16 at 2:59 pm

I'd travel back to 2000 and relive the year. Then when 2001 rolls around I'll prevent 9/11 from happening. Live through 2002 and 2003 as I loved those years when considering my personal life. And then continue to go through the rest of the decades (although I may skip 2006).

You'd have to start with January of 2001.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/16 at 3:00 pm

I would also travel back to March 29th, 1981, the day before Ronald Reagan was shot and prevent that from happening.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/12/16 at 1:46 am

I would travel back to 1989, so I could live & experience the 90's from start to finish. To a lesser degree, I also wouldn't mind travelling back to 1965, to experience what the Mid/Late 60's and the 70's were like. However, 1965 would be the furthest I would travel back to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/16 at 2:46 am

I would also travel back to March 29th, 1981, the day before Ronald Reagan was shot and prevent that from happening.
You have been reading Stephen King?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 9:21 am

You have been reading Stephen King?

No, I don't read books.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/16 at 9:21 am

No, I don't read books.
Did you see the serial on television?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 9:22 am

I would travel back to November 22nd,1963 and prevent JFK from being shot.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 9:22 am

Did you see the serial on television?

I saw some footage a long time ago from when Reagan got shot on television.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/16 at 9:23 am

I would travel back to November 22nd,1963 and prevent JFK from being shot.
Did you see the serial of 11.22.63 on television?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/16 at 9:24 am

I saw some footage a long time ago from when Reagan got shot on television.
There an excellent display on that at the Ronald Reagan Archive and Library.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 10:07 am

Did you see the serial of 11.22.63 on television?

No, YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 4:48 am

No, YouTube.
All eight episodes?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/16 at 3:07 pm

All eight episodes?

I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/16 at 3:08 pm

I'd go back to Woodstock 1969 and to see what life was like.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 11:30 pm

I'd go back to Woodstock 1969 and to see what life was like.
Groovy!

Written By: Howard on 08/22/16 at 2:57 pm

Groovy!

Would I be allowed to use my cell phone in 1969?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 2:59 pm

Would I be allowed to use my cell phone in 1969?

I don't really think so. It would seem useless, since it wouldn't seem to work without cellular satellites. Which they didn't have until the 80s.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/16 at 3:36 pm

I don't really think so. It would seem useless, since it wouldn't seem to work without cellular satellites. Which they didn't have until the 80s.

I guess I would need to use a regular pay phone.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 3:39 pm

I guess I would need to use a regular pay phone.

That would seem to be the case. Considering that didn't even have cell phones at the time.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 08/22/16 at 4:42 pm

Hero? People would just bash you for killing an innocent actor. Even though he wasn't.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 4:49 pm

Hero? People would just bash you for killing an innocent actor. Even though he wasn't.

But he tried to assassinate Lincoln. Somebody would already saw Booth with a gun pointed at Lincoln's head.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 08/22/16 at 5:05 pm

But he tried to assassinate Lincoln. Somebody would already saw Booth with a gun pointed at Lincoln's head.
Oh yeah.....I forgot how it happened for a second.

Written By: wixness on 08/22/16 at 8:33 pm

From age 13, back to 2005 and stay there for the rest of my life so I can live my teens and adulthood at the coming years I want to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/16 at 8:40 pm

From age 13, back to 2005 and stay there for the rest of my life so I can live my teens and adulthood at the coming years I want to.
...with the knowledge you know now?

Written By: wixness on 08/22/16 at 9:12 pm

...with the knowledge you know now?

Yes, but even at that age, I was beginning to hate the 2010s as I suspected that the music was getting more and more lighter (i.e. not that much rock in it). Maroon 5 sounded unbearable, for one thing, and I don't really remember many new songs then. LMFAO's one hit wonder I could bear, though, as with Carly Rae Jepsen's song. I was a bit disappointed when I played Saints Row 3 as it lacked many of the things I found in Saints Row 2 (which has things most other games lack), and I envied the guys who wore their hair long like Andy Biersack in the Knives and Pens music video, and the early 2010s was the last time that hairstyle was cool until it got replaced by that stupid short back and sides hairstyle I seem to see on every guy these days, blech, which gave my dad enough of an excuse to make me look like Mao when giving me a haircut since he grew to be fond of that disgusting hairstyle.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/16 at 2:59 pm

That would seem to be the case. Considering that didn't even have cell phones at the time.

I would have to call my Mother and tell her I'm coming home late.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/23/18 at 9:36 pm

If I could go back to any year, even the years I wasn't alive, I'd probably go back to 1990 to experience the 90's to see how it was like. :P

If I had to go back to a year that I actually lived and experienced, I'd go back to 2013 since that was the best year of my personal life so far.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/24/18 at 4:12 am

If I could go back to any year, even the years I wasn't alive, I'd probably go back to 1990 to experience the 90's to see how it was like. :P

If I had to go back to a year that I actually lived and experienced, I'd go back to 2013 since that was the best year of my personal life so far.

If you wanted to really see the 90s maybe you should visit 1994 instead, otherwise you'd be getting some weird 80s culture aswell :P

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 11:19 am

If you wanted to really see the 90s maybe you should visit 1994 instead, otherwise you'd be getting some weird 80s culture aswell :P

No, because if I went back to 1994 I'd only experience 1994-1999. I'm talking about the whole decade.

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/18 at 11:28 am

LOL thanks for bumping this thread. I miss my university years.  :\'( ;D

Take me back to 2011 and let's replay :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/24/18 at 11:54 am

I like that "weird" '80s culture. The early '90s is my favorite part of the '90s.

It was the '80s but with a '90s flair/flavor, which made for the perfect combo in my opinion.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/24/18 at 12:11 pm

1969 so I could experience Woodstock.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/24/18 at 12:32 pm

2005, to experience the launch of YouTube and Xbox 360.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/18 at 3:14 pm

The 1800's.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/18 at 3:15 pm

1969 so I could experience Woodstock.

You'd probably enjoy the festival.

Written By: Dundee on 02/25/18 at 6:49 pm

1997, to see baby me :D
2014, to slap myself in the face and stop a bad decision being made
2015, to relive it on endless loop :D

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 7:08 pm

2012 and then 2008!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...