inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When a Cover song is better than the original ...

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/16 at 8:16 pm

As a lot of people might say, the original is always the best.  I often agree, but there are some cases where I do not.  What are some of your favourites?

Subject: Re: When a Cover song is better than the original ...

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/16 at 8:26 pm

The big one for me is the song 'Kiss' which was written and first made famous by Prince in 1986.  Within music genres that I enjoy, it is my least favourite song of the 80s.  His singing (or screaming) on it is just atrocious and I was never a fan.  I would post a video of it, but Prince does not want his songs on YouTube, which is good because in order for me to post it, I would have to listen to it first.  No thanks lol

In 1988, The Art of Noise teamed up with Tom Jones to record it and their version was one of my favourite songs of the 80s.  It was just wonderful.  What made this version even cooler was that it included samples of previous hits by The Art of Noise.  This, I can listen to all day ...

Kiss - The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones (1988)
Iw3so6ClU9I

Written By: Ripley on 01/22/16 at 8:42 pm

New Order - Blue Monday
Orgy's cover is better. While most wouldn't agree I'm really into electronic rock music which is what this band performs.

Seals And Crofts - Summer Breeze
Remade by others before them, Type O Negative made it best. I'm a fan of them. Their version is heaver, darker. While the old is more mellow hippie rock.

Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam - All Cried Out
In the late 90's Allure and 112 remade this. Its so beautiful.

Written By: gibbo on 01/25/16 at 3:18 am

Not certain if the it's actually better ... But it's damn close.

'Always Something There To Remind Me' by Naked Eyes.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/25/16 at 10:53 am

Ace of Base - Cruel Summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG5bnjR4EOg
I do not like the European version, but this cover is better. In 1998 Ace of Base released a similar, yet superior, version of Bananarama's 1984 hit single "Cruel Summer". This one has more of an urban feel to it rather than the synth-poppy version of Bananarama.

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/16 at 3:46 pm

I do not like the European version, but this cover is better. In 1998 Ace of Base released a similar, yet superior, version of Bananarama's 1984 hit single "Cruel Summer". This one has more of an urban feel to it rather than the synth-poppy version of Bananarama.

This version is much better. However Bananarama had a cover much better than the original aa well. Their cover of "Venus" tops the original, Shocking Blue's version.

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/16 at 3:49 pm

Atomic Kitten has recorded a few covers.  Two them better than the original are The Bangels' "Eternal Flame" and Blondie's "The Tide Is High". Both versions were more hyper pop cuts as opposed to the originals being more soft rock.

Written By: nally on 01/25/16 at 3:52 pm

^^ No offense, but I prefer the original "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama. I like Ace Of Base's music, but I did not like when they decided to cover a good 80s song. But then again I did not realize that their version of "Don't Turn Around" (1994) was a cover, having been originally recorded by Tina Turner in 1986 (and covered by a band called Aswad in 1988, before Ace Of Base recorded their version in '93).

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/16 at 3:55 pm

^^ No offense, but I prefer the original "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama. I like Ace Of Base's music, but I did not like when they decided to cover a good 80s song. But then again I did not realize that their version of "Don't Turn Around" (1994) was a cover, having been originally recorded by Tina Turner in 1986 (and covered by a band called Aswad in 1988, before Ace Of Base recorded their version in '93).

"Don't Turn Around" by Ace is better too. Its more my style as I'm into dance music.

Written By: nally on 01/25/16 at 4:00 pm

One cover song I seem to enjoy better than the original is James Taylor's version of "Everyday" (1985), a song originally performed by Buddy Holly in 1957. James Taylor's arrangement is more lively and upbeat than the original.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 4:03 pm

This version is OK.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 4:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uWF-37DAM
This is Chris Cornell's version of Michael's "Billie Jean"

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/16 at 4:46 pm

Dare I say it? Elvis was truly a music king. But "I can't help falling in love" was better by UB40

Written By: Henk on 01/26/16 at 3:38 pm

This version is much better. However Bananarama had a cover much better than the original aa well. Their cover of "Venus" tops the original, Shocking Blue's version.

Blasphemy!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 3:51 pm

Blasphemy!
Shocking Blue reigns supreme!

Written By: nally on 01/26/16 at 6:15 pm

Dare I say it? Elvis was truly a music king. But "I can't help falling in love" was better by UB40

To me, both the original and the cover are good to listen to in their own ways.

Speaking of UB40 covers, I prefer their version of "Here I Am (Come & Take Me)" over the original by Al Green. Just my personal opinion, that's all.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/26/16 at 6:43 pm

A few off the top of my head.

Metallica: Turn The Page
Jimi Hendrix: All Along The Watchtower
Earth Wind And Fire: Got To Get You Into My Life

Written By: nally on 01/26/16 at 6:45 pm

I also like the Beatles' covers of "Twist And Shout" (original by the Isley Bros.) and "Money (That's What I Want)" (original by Barrett Strong, although this one's good to listen to as well).

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 7:13 pm

Shocking Blue reigns supreme!

I'm not really into that type of music though  :P

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 7:15 pm

Speaking of UB40 covers, I prefer their version of "Here I Am (Come & Take Me)" over the original by Al Green. Just my personal opinion, that's all.

I agree on that one. Their version of "Red Red Wine" too.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 4:01 pm

I agree on that one. Their version of "Red Red Wine" too.

very classic song.

Written By: nally on 01/27/16 at 6:31 pm

I also like the Beatles' covers of "Twist And Shout" (original by the Isley Bros.) and "Money (That's What I Want)" (original by Barrett Strong, although this one's good to listen to as well).

I also realized that the Beatles covered "Rock And Roll Music" (originally performed by Chuck Berry); I like that version too.

Written By: Henk on 01/28/16 at 1:50 pm

There are quite a few cover versions that I really enjoy listening to ("Go Now" by the Moody Blues, "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell or "What's A Matter Baby" by Ellen Foley, to name but a few), but to say that they're better than the original...no.

That said, there are exceptions to the rule, one of those being "State Of Independence" by Donna Summer - mainly because I'm not a fan of Jon Andersons vocals (in general).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o3zqenOA50

Written By: Henk on 01/28/16 at 1:57 pm

And as goofy as these two may appear, I think they're (at least) rivalling the original versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDePwTjYPlY

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/28/16 at 2:22 pm

Everybody has praised Robert Smith, lead singer of The Cure, and Crystal Castles for their cover of Not In Love.  To me it's not bad but the original version by Platinum Blonde will always be vastly superior.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/16 at 7:31 am

There are quite a few cover versions that I really enjoy listening to ("Go Now" by the Moody Blues, "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell or "What's A Matter Baby" by Ellen Foley, to name but a few), but to say that they're better than the original...no.

That said, there are exceptions to the rule, one of those being "State Of Independence" by Donna Summer - mainly because I'm not a fan of Jon Andersons vocals (in general).

As much as I enjoy the music of Jon and Vangelis, I will agree with this one.  Donna's version is far superior

And that Alien Ant Farm track, it was sooo good.  It really did rival Jacko's version

Written By: Henk on 01/30/16 at 3:20 am

And then there's these two that I don't think need argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2K4jHs92A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5_LQArLa0

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/16 at 5:06 pm

bzvuvt9Db8g  32udqal_lyQ

Not In Love Platinum Blonde's version on the right and Crystal Castles version on the left.  If you play both songs side by side for comparison I think you'll feel what I'm feeling.  "Not bad but doesn't even come close to being as good as the original."

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 6:54 pm

One of my personal opinions (as shared on another thread)...

"People Are Strange" by Echo & The Bunnymen. Original by the Doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6x8bY5asw

The main difference is the instrumental break, which is a completely different arrangement in more ways than one. (It's longer too!)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/03/17 at 5:27 am

I prefer Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold The World" over the original by David Bowie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

Written By: nally on 07/10/17 at 1:39 pm

"Funkytown" - I personally prefer Pseudo Echo's cover to Lipps Inc's original (although I do like listening to both).

Written By: gibbo on 07/18/17 at 10:24 pm

"Funkytown" - I personally prefer Pseudo Echo's cover to Lipps Inc's original (although I do like listening to both).

I liked the original the best. However, I was surprised at how good the Pseudo Echo version was.  I'm also surprised that it was known outside Australia!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/19/17 at 12:09 am

I'm also surprised that it was known outside Australia!

From what I've read, Pseudo Echo's cover was actually a big hit in the US!  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/20/17 at 10:31 am

It's astonishing how so many people say that Gary Jules version of Mad World is better than the original but I think that's hogwash.  I mean the name of the song is "Mad World" not "Sad World."

Written By: Fearsword on 07/22/17 at 10:26 pm

Forever Young-Youth Group(2006). Originally recorded in 1984 by Alphaville

Written By: wixness on 07/23/17 at 3:44 pm

For instance a Grimmie cover of Titanium by Calvin Harris. It might have been someone else who covered it though.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/23/17 at 5:38 pm

V8vDBuY0ks0  MbXWrmQW-OE

Message In A Bottle Platinum Blonde on the right and The Police on the left.  Each version of the song has its quirks but I rather am fond of the Platinum Blonde version.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/23/17 at 5:52 pm

I can think of a few off the top of my head.

"Nothing Compares 2U" was originally written and recorded by Prince, but it was not until Sinead O’Connor performed it that it became famous.

"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was performed by The Arrows in 1975, and went nowhere.  But Joan Jett made it famous.

But the ultimate example of this happening has got to be "Hurt".

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails was reluctant to let a country star cover one of his most personal songs.  But after hearing it, even he admitted that it was no longer his song, it belonged to Johnny Cash.

And it was the perfect swan song to an outstanding career.

Written By: nally on 07/23/17 at 10:56 pm

I liked the original the best. However, I was surprised at how good the Pseudo Echo version was.  I'm also surprised that it was known outside Australia!

Well, it did become their only big hit in the States, so they were considered a one hit wonder. Just like Lipps Inc, the band that originally performed it.

Written By: nally on 08/14/17 at 1:43 pm

Forever Young-Youth Group(2006). Originally recorded in 1984 by Alphaville

No offense, but I prefer the original by Alphaville any day.

Written By: aja675 on 08/30/17 at 5:36 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9sj7

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/17 at 9:54 pm

The 1993 Pet Shop Boys cover of the 1979 song Go West by The Village People

The 1990 Candy Flip cover of the 1967 song Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
To be fair, I heard the Candy Flip version when it was popular and long before I knew it was a Beatles song, so it's more of a nostalgia thing for me

Written By: nally on 10/11/17 at 10:03 pm

The 1990 Candy Flip cover of the 1967 song Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
To be fair, I heard the Candy Flip version when it was popular and long before I knew it was a Beatles song, so it's more of a nostalgia thing for me

Similarly, I have tended to hear certain cover songs before becoming aware of the fact, so I tend to feel that nostalgia as well.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/17 at 5:48 am

Sorry man, but I will have to disagree but Village People all the way, there's just no feeling in The Pet Shop Boys song.

Written By: nally on 10/12/17 at 8:10 am

Sorry man, but I will have to disagree but Village People all the way, there's just no feeling in The Pet Shop Boys.

To be fair, I like the Pet Shop Boys' cover of "Always On My Mind." That's just my preference.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/17 at 8:37 am

Kim Carnes' cover of "Bette Davis Eyes", released in 1981, is far better than the original by the song's author, Jackie DeShannon, released in 1974. And I'm not even generally a fan of that 80s synth style. I don't wish to slag Jackie DeShannon, who contributed a lot as a songwriter and performer in the 1960s, but her version of "Bette Davis Eyes" is just awful. The arrangement is ludicrous. Listen for yourself:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQsOJbs-yo

Written By: #Infinity on 10/12/17 at 9:10 am

Sorry man, but I will have to disagree but Village People all the way, there's just no feeling in The Pet Shop Boys.

Actually, it’s completely and utterly the opposite. The original song is fairly harmless, little more than a cheesy, upbeat disco song in the same vein as “Y.M.C.A.” The cover from 14 years later, however, is produced and sung with an intensely bittersweet overtone, thanks to a more delibetate pace, more epic production, more somber vocals, and even an additional verse to put the track’s story into perspective. Whereas the Village People sound carefree and unaffected, the Pet Shop Boys convey a backstory of weariness and frail hope, that going west may or may not fulfill a fantasy of paradise that doesn’t involve abuse, isolation, and discrimination. There’s obviously so much more at stake, yet there’s also no guarantee of complete redemption. It’s the dream that grounds their version so poignantly. It doesn’t just merrily assume the best like the original does. The Pet Shop Boys cover is absolutely moving, in my opinion, and easily contends for the title of best dance song of the 1990s.

Written By: nally on 10/12/17 at 10:26 pm

Kim Carnes' cover of "Bette Davis Eyes", released in 1981, is far better than the original by the song's author, Jackie DeShannon, released in 1974. And I'm not even generally a fan of that 80s synth style. I don't wish to slag Jackie DeShannon, who contributed a lot as a songwriter and performer in the 1960s, but her version of "Bette Davis Eyes" is just awful. The arrangement is ludicrous. Listen for yourself:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQsOJbs-yo

Yeah, that is one song that I often forget is actually a cover.

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/17 at 11:52 pm

Sorry man, but I will have to disagree but Village People all the way, there's just no feeling in The Pet Shop Boys

The Village People version is great and I love it, but it is bare bones compared to the PSB version.  To be fair, it was the 90s and they had more to work with. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/17 at 12:03 am

'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth.  It was written and first recorded by Joni Mitchell in 1971 as a B-Side.  Nazareth's version came out in 1973 as a single and was a Top 40 hit in several parts of Europe plus Canada.  Since Joni's version was only ever a B-Side, there might be some fans of the Nazareth version who don't even know it is a cover

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/22 at 8:11 pm

In 1973, Joe Walsh had a Top 40 hit in the US and Canada with Rocky Mountain Way.  In 1978, it was covered by the arena rock band Triumph and while it never made the Top 40 in Canada (it peaked at #64), it is the one heard most often as radio stations will play it to meet their Canadian Content quotas (and still do to this day), so in my defense, it is the version I know better.  I may be a bit biased in my preference of the Triumph version, but I do still enjoy Joe's version 

Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way (1973)
4Fz-mHGXgzs

Triumph - Rocky Mountain Way (1978)
d6x4KJCWF5o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/10/22 at 4:11 pm

lQg6P-AEjW0  O2vHbXI2p4k

NSFW: Get It On (Bang A Gong) Both versions by T-Rex and by Power Station.  I didn't realize that the Power Station version was a cover song.

Check for new replies or respond here...