inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Future of robots?

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/24/16 at 3:00 pm

How long until robots that can pass as humans are created?

Subject: Re: The Future of robots?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 3:08 pm

The world may never know for a long time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/16 at 3:19 pm

The human brain is still far superior than a processor of a robot.

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/16 at 9:21 pm

I was hoping this thread would be about the roomba. I'm thinking of buying one because I'm extremely lazy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 4:13 am

I was hoping this thread would be about the roomba. I'm thinking of buying one because I'm extremely lazy.
http://www.irobotweb.com/~/media/MainSite/Images/Home/Products/Roomba/iRobot-Roomba-carefully-moves.jpg?h=500&la=en&w=680

Yes, vacuum cleaners to perform to a computer program, fine till the energy runs out and a human has to plug it in the mains to recharge?

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/16 at 12:45 pm

http://www.irobotweb.com/~/media/MainSite/Images/Home/Products/Roomba/iRobot-Roomba-carefully-moves.jpg?h=500&la=en&w=680

Yes, vacuum cleaners to perform to a computer program, fine till the energy runs out and a human has to plug it in the mains to recharge?

It actually returns to its charging base automatically.

You either schedule clean ups or have it clean whenever, but when it feels as of it's done cleaning, it goes back to its base to recharge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 12:50 pm

You either schedule clean ups or have it clean whenever, but when it feels as of it's done cleaning, it goes back to its base to recharge.
...but the human still has to plug the charger in.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/16 at 12:55 pm

...but the human still has to plug the charger in.  ;D

Oh no, it has a dock/base.  The roomba just goes in an starts charging itself. I mean unless you unplug the base when you're not using it, you won't have to worry about forgetting to charge it  ;D

You still have to take out the bag and clean it out though, that's the only disadvantage. I want to never worry about anything related to vacuuming ever again  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 1:00 pm

Oh no, it has a dock/base.  The roomba just goes in an starts charging itself. I mean unless you unplug the base when you're not using it, you won't have to worry about forgetting to charge it  ;D

You still have to take out the bag and clean it out though, that's the only disadvantage. I want to never worry about anything related to vacuuming ever again  ;D
Bag removed, treated as solved.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 4:11 pm

How long until robots that can pass as humans are created?

probably not until another 10-15 years from now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 7:45 am

...but can a roomba explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/16 at 7:47 am

It ain't no Amazon Echo  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/26/16 at 4:16 pm

If it only talked.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 5:07 pm

If it only talked.
Squeaks and bleeps like R2-D2?

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 4:02 pm

Squeaks and bleeps like R2-D2?

No, human voices.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 4:38 pm

No, human voices.
An android type voice?

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 4:47 pm

An android type voice?

a voice that people can understand.

Written By: Toon on 01/27/16 at 5:27 pm

Maybe in the 22nd century? We already have robots. But they're limited to just what their programming allows them to do. Who knows.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/16 at 4:14 pm

Maybe in the 22nd century? We already have robots. But they're limited to just what their programming allows them to do. Who knows.

Maybe they can assist me in helping me with carts. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/16 at 4:15 pm

Maybe they can assist me in helping me with carts. ;D
...you may end up unemployed?

Written By: Howard on 01/28/16 at 5:03 pm

...you may end up unemployed?

yeah so true.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/16 at 5:09 pm

yeah so true.
Say no to robots!

Written By: Toon on 01/28/16 at 6:30 pm

Soon we'll have robots that function like normal humans. And then in the year 2489 there will be a robot invasion where all non-artificial lifeforms will be destroy if we don't worship out new robot overlord.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/16 at 8:10 am

Soon we'll have robots that function like normal humans. And then in the year 2489 there will be a robot invasion where all non-artificial lifeforms will be destroy if we don't worship out new robot overlord.

Why 400 years from now? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/16 at 1:14 pm

Why 400 years from now? ???
Today's market is not fully mature. One or more software compatibility layers have yet to emerge to allow the development of a rich robotics ecosystem (similar to today's personal computers one). The most commonly used software in the robotics research are free software solutions such as Player/Stage or cross-platform technologies such as URBI. Microsoft is currently working in this direction with its new proprietary software Microsoft Robotics Studio. The use of open source tools helps in continued improvement of the tools and algorithms for robotic research from the point one team leaves it.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/16 at 3:14 pm

http://leanblitz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rosie-robot.gif
How about Rosie The Robot? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/16 at 3:17 pm

http://leanblitz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rosie-robot.gif
How about Rosie The Robot? ???
She eloped with her boyfriend, the robot Mac, ages ago!

Written By: 2001 on 01/29/16 at 8:22 pm

What's funny about the Jetsons is how massive the computers are. Oh and Jane is still a typical 60s housewife who talks on the phone all day and goes shopping with her husband's money.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/16 at 8:31 am

What's funny about the Jetsons is how massive the computers are. Oh and Jane is still a typical 60s housewife who talks on the phone all day and goes shopping with her husband's money.

I loved the computers in The Jetsons.

Written By: Toon on 01/30/16 at 4:04 pm

Soon we'd have a world where lonely people will start to make their own robot friends. Real friends will become a dying trend (same for real parents and kids). Be prepared for a sad sad world.  :\'( :-\\ :(

Boy - "Lets play some basketball, Robo! ;D"

Robo - *in a robot voice* "Lets go shoot some hoops"

Then the boy comes home sad as during the basketball game the boy accidentally bumped into the robot which caused it to fall over and break apart. But the said thing isn't the robot breaking apart and the boy now being sad and lonely. No! It's the fact that the robot cost the parents $1000 and they'll be pissed to find out what happen and the fact that their warranty expired the day before.

Nah, but in all seriousness I'd love to have a robot that was an "all-in-one". Can become a TV, Car, Game System and a bunch of other stuff that I'm too lazy to think of. It'll be like a transformer, but without the death lasers and sharp objects.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/16 at 4:06 pm

I vaguely remember some episodes of Jetsons on Cartoon Network when I was still in my early childhood. My parents actually had it on a couple times LOL, but those robots and advanced technology was the coolest thing to me in my little head. TBH that show along with some other HB cartoons are boring as hell.

Written By: Toon on 01/30/16 at 4:09 pm

I vaguely remember some episodes of Jetsons on Cartoon Network when I was still in my early childhood. My parents actually had it on a couple times LOL, but those robots and advanced technology was the coolest thing to me in my little head. TBH that show along with some other HB cartoons are boring as hell.

I feel the same way. Heck even Scooby Doo can get boring due to how formulaic it is. Can almost predict what'll happen despite never seeing the episode.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/16 at 4:15 pm

I feel the same way. Heck even Scooby Doo can get boring due to how formulaic it is. Can almost predict what'll happen despite never seeing the episode.

It's funny how as a kid the only HB cartoons that I were into on Cartoon Network were Tom & Jerry and three Scooby-Doo series (Scooby-Doo Where Are You, New Scooby-Doo Movies, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo)yet those were like the most popular ones right? Even The Flintstones was boring to me. Although, I've seen Top Cat on Boomerang before and it was ok.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/16 at 4:19 pm

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YEGGJpL0-kE/maxresdefault.jpg

I visited a couple of car manufacturing plants before, and these immediately come to mind. It's amazing what these are programmed to do, but sometimes creepy at the same time.

Written By: Toon on 01/30/16 at 4:32 pm

It's funny how as a kid the only HB cartoons that I were into on Cartoon Network were Tom & Jerry and three Scooby-Doo series (Scooby-Doo Where Are You, New Scooby-Doo Movies, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo)yet those were like the most popular ones right? Even The Flintstones was boring to me. Although, I've seen Top Cat on Boomerang before and it was ok.

I think those were the most popular ones. They've been airing on Cartoon Network for years now (not sure if they still are, but from the Checkerboard, Powerhouse, and CN City eras I kept seeing them). When it came to HB's cartoons I liked "A Pup Named Scooby" and "Tom and Jerry". What's funny is that due to things like Boomerang I've grown to hate cartoons from the '60s - '80s. I find them be so boring. Anything Scooby Doo related can get boring to me. But I did like think that What's New Scooby Doo, A Pup name Scooby Doo, and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated were decent shows. And I will forever love Tom and Jerry.

Written By: Toon on 01/30/16 at 4:34 pm

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YEGGJpL0-kE/maxresdefault.jpg

I visited a couple of car manufacturing plants before, and these immediately come to mind. It's amazing what these are programmed to do, but sometimes creepy at the same time.

Now imagine the tech in that imagine, but then imagine what'll be like within the next 10-20 years. Today it's amazing what technology can do. So I'm eager to see the future.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/16 at 6:24 pm

Soon we'd have a world where lonely people will start to make their own robot friends. Real friends will become a dying trend (same for real parents and kids). Be prepared for a sad sad world.  :\'( :-\\ :(

Boy - "Lets play some basketball, Robo! ;D"

Robo - *in a robot voice* "Lets go shoot some hoops"

Then the boy comes home sad as during the basketball game the boy accidentally bumped into the robot which caused it to fall over and break apart. But the said thing isn't the robot breaking apart and the boy now being sad and lonely. No! It's the fact that the robot cost the parents $1000 and they'll be pissed to find out what happen and the fact that their warranty expired the day before.

Nah, but in all seriousness I'd love to have a robot that was an "all-in-one". Can become a TV, Car, Game System and a bunch of other stuff that I'm too lazy to think of. It'll be like a transformer, but without the death lasers and sharp objects.

https://usatlife.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/xxx_robot.jpg?w=1000&h=1523
Johnny Five would be my friend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 12:35 pm

It all started with Magic Robot!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/fc/2f/3dfc2f13a159b0c1b0588ec42790e526.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/31/16 at 3:05 pm

It all started with Magic Robot!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/fc/2f/3dfc2f13a159b0c1b0588ec42790e526.jpg

Is that a board game?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 3:27 pm

Is that a board game?
On yes, I played when young in the 1960s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/16 at 5:23 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EarlyRobot.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 4:19 pm

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/robot-jobs.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/16 at 4:20 pm

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/robot-jobs.jpg
But can it think for itself, than be a manservant?

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 5:12 pm

But can it think for itself, than be a manservant?

I sure hope so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/16 at 5:14 pm

What about Omnibots?

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 7:56 am

What about Omnibots?

What are they?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 8:06 am

What are they?  ???
Toy robots from the past.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 9:44 am

What are they?  ???
The Omnibot (オムニボット) is a toy robot originally manufactured by Tomy in the mid-1980s. The name then came to apply to the successful line of robots manufactured by the company. The initial Omnibot was announced with expectations of restoring popular interest in robots, at a time when it was becoming obvious that robots with advanced AI such as R2-D2 were still a long way away. A more advanced version of the Omnibot was called the Omnibot 2000 and did not have a plastic bubble over its head. With the success of the Omnibots, the Omnibot range quickly expanded. After the North American video game crash of 1983 and its debilitating effect on the entire nascent home electronics industry, the Omnibot faded away but it was revived in the early 2000s. The latest version of the Omnibot is the i-SOBOT.

Both the Omnibot and the more advanced Omnibot 2000 had a cassette tape player built into the chest area of the robot, which slid out like a drawer to reveal the cassette and could record and play back sequences of commands, as well as regular audio recordings. The built in digital clock with timers and alarms allowed the playback of movement recordings at specified times, such as moving into the bedroom in the morning. Both robots were able to broadcast speech from the remote control handset through a speaker on the robot, and both were shipped with a cardboard "home" base which was suggested to be taped to the floor and used as a reference point for programming.

Both Omnibot and the Omnibot 2000 could carry light objects. The Omnibot carried a specially made tray which slotted into its claws, and the Omnibot 2000 had a tray which slotted into its motorised "accessory panel", allowing the tray to revolve cups and glasses into the reach of the arm.

The Omnibot 2000 was 25 inches tall, powered by a 6-volt lead–acid battery and two AA batteries. Its right arm was controllable. The user could control its shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers, the left arm being a poseable "dummy".

Unfortunately, losing the remote control unit for an Omnibot meant that the robot was virtually useless outside of the clock and cassette deck based functions.

Two lesser known robots in the Omnibot range were the Omnibot OOM and the Omniwagon. The Omnibot OOM was shaped like a standard Omnibot except with the addition of a spherical head, its remote controller including a basic form of voice-control. The Omniwagon was merely a remote controlled drive unit and wheels from an omnibot with a flat surface on top to carry objects.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 2:39 pm

Toy robots from the past.

toy robots that can talk?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 2:40 pm

toy robots that can talk?
Pre-programmed?

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 2:40 pm

http://tftppull.freethoughtllc.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/real-life-robocop-to-patrol-the-streets.jpg
Robot Police

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 2:41 pm

Pre-programmed?

Would you need to put the words and sentences in for him to speak? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 2:56 pm

Would you need to put the words and sentences in for him to speak? ???
Yes, therefore human input.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 3:45 pm

Yes, therefore human input.

that could take many hours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 3:46 pm

that could take many hours.
...and the robot had not crested it's own thinking for which words to use.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 8:12 am

...and the robot had not crested it's own thinking for which words to use.

You'd have to input those words.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 8:14 am

You'd have to input those words.
Speak & Spell could speak.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 9:17 am

Speak & Spell could speak.

that's a talking robot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 9:50 am

that's a talking robot.
The toy was originally advertised as a tool for helping young children to learn to spell and pronounce over 200 commonly misspelled words.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 9:51 am

that's a talking robot.
Remember it is a toy.

Written By: annimal on 02/13/16 at 10:57 am

well my left ear had gone deaf in the middle ear so I've had sergery and stuff so I guess you can call me a part medal head.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 10:58 am

that's a talking robot.
Also:
The Speak & Math (or Speak & Maths in some countries) was a popular and revolutionary electronic toy created by Texas Instruments in 1980. Speak & Math was one of a three-part talking educational toy series that also included Speak & Spell and Speak & Read. The Speak & Math was sold in both the United States and in Europe; it was originally advertised as a tool for helping young children to become better at mathematics. The Speak & Math had a distinct gray with blue and orange color scheme. The unit could utilize either 4 "C" batteries or 6 volt DC power adapter. The display resembled a vacuum fluorescent display, not unlike an LED display. The Speak & Math used a TI TMS5110 chip for voice synthesis. The Speak & Math, like the earlier Speak & Spell, also had the ability to expand its memory using expansion modules that plugged into a slot near the battery compartment. Speak & Math had five distinct learning games: Solve It, Word Problems, Greater Than/Less Than, Write It, and Number Stumper, all playable at three levels of difficulty. Solve It is the classic math problem-solving game where the participant must solve five math problems to the best of their ability. Number Stumper is a game of bulls and cows, whereby one is told the "number right" and the "number in wrong place." Write It involves the participant typing the number they hear. Greater Than/Less Than involves whether the number on the left is greater than or less than the number on the right.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 3:25 pm

The toy was originally advertised as a tool for helping young children to learn to spell and pronounce over 200 commonly misspelled words.

I remember having a Speak And Spell back in the late 80's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 3:28 pm

I remember having a Speak And Spell back in the late 80's.
It spoke with an American accent, saying 'see' not 'zed'.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/16 at 3:40 pm

I pronounced Jay-Z like Jay-Zed for the longest time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 3:48 pm

I pronounced Jay-Z like Jay-Zed for the longest time.
...or Zed Zed Top?

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 4:16 pm

I use to play with it all the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 5:53 pm

I use to play with it all the time.
We have both in our household.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 3:16 pm

http://www.speaknspell.co.uk/speaknspell.html

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/24/16 at 9:24 am

Rise of the Machines: New ATLAS Robot can open/close doors, walk across snowy, hilly terrain while avoiding obstacles, do detail-oriented tasks with distractions and right itself if knocked to the ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 1:11 pm

Rise of the Machines: New ATLAS Robot can open/close doors, walk across snowy, hilly terrain while avoiding obstacles, do detail-oriented tasks with distractions and right itself if knocked to the ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
Can it make a cup of tea?

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:27 pm

Can it make a cup of tea?

I'm pretty sure it could.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 3:27 pm

I'm pretty sure it could.
Can it tell which flavour?

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/16 at 3:32 pm

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3036796/emerging-technology/pepper-a-humanoid-robot-will-make-first-appearance-in-us-businesses-this-year.html

Pepper The Humanoid Robot will make first appearance in US businesses later this year

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2665857.1401974265!/cpImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/japan-emotional-robot.jpg

It can read emotions and do basic information tasks (e.g. Where is the nearest café), and give reminders. It was designed to keep people company and to keep an eye on people in senior homes.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/16 at 4:09 pm

Can it tell which flavour?

I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/16 at 4:12 pm

I don't think so.
Humans 1 vs. Robots 0!

Written By: Howard on 11/27/18 at 1:28 pm

I really think that in the near future that us as humans we can co-exist together with robots or AI's. BTW, just the other day maybe you've seen it, An AI robot by the name of Sophia was on The Jimmy Fallon show twice once last year and just a couple of weeks ago and she blew me away about how smart she was intelligently and I also think that we guys/girls can have sex with them too (male or female), maybe you've seen Harmony The Robot too as well just look them up on YouTube, you'll know what I'm talking about.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Sophia_at_the_AI_for_Good_Global_Summit_2018_%2827254369347%29_%28cropped%29.jpg/220px-Sophia_at_the_AI_for_Good_Global_Summit_2018_%2827254369347%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
Sophia

Written By: Howard on 11/29/18 at 7:42 am

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/harmony-sex-robot-1111834.jpg

But let's say you wanted to have sex with them, This here is named Harmony The Sex Robot, she was created by Realbotix a robotics company that make male or female robots for sex and companionship. What is your opinion on them?

Written By: annimal on 11/29/18 at 10:37 am

I've always wanted a human robot child

Written By: Howard on 12/02/18 at 2:13 pm

Hey Phillip, What do you think about the future of communicating with AI robots?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 2:15 pm

Hey Phillip, What do you think about the future of communicating with AI robots?
The idea of AI robots has been around since science fiction began, and to put is simply, machines can and do go wrong. If you rely on a robot for 'life' and it goes wrong... ?

Written By: karen on 12/02/18 at 2:22 pm

The idea of AI robots has been around since science fiction began, and to put is simply, machines can and do go wrong. If you rely on a robot for 'life' and it goes wrong... ?

On the eighth day machine just got upset
A problem man had not foreseen as yet
No time for flight, a blinding light
Then nothing but a void, forever night

Read more: Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Written By: Howard on 12/02/18 at 2:42 pm

not for life but as a companion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 2:51 pm

not for life but as a companion.
Humans are much better, no batteries required.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/18 at 5:44 am

Humans are much better, no batteries required.

That's true.

Check for new replies or respond here...