inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was 1999-2000 cornier than the 80's?

Written By: tv on 02/08/16 at 12:12 am

The 80's is always bashed for its tacky clothing and wild hair spray. I remember 1999-2000 the culture was geared towards 10 year olds mostly because of teen-pop. Once the tech bubble burst in late 2000 the 1999-2000 culture was over and I liked the fact it was over.

Subject: Re: Was 1999-2000 cornier than the 80's?

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/08/16 at 1:42 am

Heck yes. I really dislike a lot of the culture from then. Everything from the music to the television to the video games and especially to the fashions.

Just 3-4 years earlier, you had wonderful songs such as "When I Come Around", "Brain Stew", "Name", "What I Got", "The World I Know", "Un-Break My Heart", "California Love", "Big Bang Baby", "Don't Speak", "Stupid Girl", "Salvation", "Free to Decide", "Flood", "You're Makin' Me High", "1979", "Not Gon' Cry", "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Beautiful Life", "Give Me One Reason", "Nobody Knows", "You Learn", "Twisted", "Runaway", "Got 'Til It's Gone", and a whole boatload of other fantastic songs that were on the radio. It ranged from sweet, to tender, to edgy, to powerful, to revealing, to innovative.

Then comes 1999 and 2000 and you have boy bands and pop princesses hogging up the charts and dominating the music industry and basically no one over the age of 14 likes music.  ::)

A lot of tv shows that were on the air jumped the shark at this time, as well as numerous video game franchises (Sonic, Tomb Raider, Mario who bounced back with the Wii).

Aside from The Matrix and Erin Brockovich, 1999 and 2000 were pretty underwhelming years for films as well.

There really isn't too much to say about this anymore. It was definitely cheesy.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/08/16 at 1:56 am

A lot of tv shows that were on the air jumped the shark at this time, as well as numerous video game franchises (Sonic, Tomb Raider, Mario who bounced back with the Wii).

I'd say Mario bounced back during the DS era once New Super Mario Bros. came out, shortly before Super Mario Galaxy was released for the Wii the following year. Out of the entire Mario franchise, from my experience the 6th generation era was its lowest point, or basically the Gamecube ones, despite the Gamecube still being a great, underrated console overall when it came to variety of games and when Nintendo still targeted mostly its true gamers. Games like Super Mario Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion, even though these weren't bad games, were no where near as good as Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros, or Super Mario Galaxy. Plus, the Gameboy Advance (which is 6th gen too) kept releasing remakes of previous Mario games (Super Mario Advance 1, 2, etc.) instead of original ones like the DS and Wii did.

Now I wasn't a Sonic fan at all growing up, nor I'm aware of Sega's history other than hearing it from people on the internet. However, I've heard a lot of people say that Sonic declined when Sonic 06 came out.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 2:06 am

I'd say Mario bounced back during the DS era once New Super Mario Bros. came out, shortly before Super Mario Galaxy was released for the Wii the following year. Out of the entire Mario franchise, from my experience the 6th generation era was its lowest point, or basically the Gamecube ones, despite the Gamecube still being a great, underrated console overall when it came to variety of games and when Nintendo still targeted mostly its true gamers. Games like Super Mario Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion, even though these weren't bad games, were no where near as good as Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros, or Super Mario Galaxy. Plus, the Gameboy Advance (which is 6th gen too) kept releasing remakes of previous Mario games (Super Mario Advance 1, 2, etc.) instead of original ones like the DS and Wii did.

Now I wasn't a Sonic fan at all growing up, nor I'm aware of Sega's history other than hearing it from people on the internet. However, I've heard a lot of people say that Sonic declined when Sonic 06 came out.

WoW, I'm glad that the N64 was main Nintendo console I grew up with and not the gamecube, and I'm glad the PS2 was the 6th gen console I grew up with as well! But I disagree with Arctic on Sonic, Sonic was going through a mini golden age with The Adventure games all the way to Sonic Advanced 3.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 2:10 am

Heck yes. I really dislike a lot of the culture from then. Everything from the music to the television to the video games and especially to the fashions.

Just 3-4 years earlier, you had wonderful songs such as "When I Come Around", "Brain Stew", "Name", "What I Got", "The World I Know", "Un-Break My Heart", "California Love", "Big Bang Baby", "Don't Speak", "Stupid Girl", "Salvation", "Free to Decide", "Flood", "You're Makin' Me High", "1979", "Not Gon' Cry", "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Beautiful Life", "Give Me One Reason", "Nobody Knows", "You Learn", "Twisted", "Runaway", "Got 'Til It's Gone", and a whole boatload of other fantastic songs that were on the radio. It ranged from sweet, to tender, to edgy, to powerful, to revealing, to innovative.

Then comes 1999 and 2000 and you have boy bands and pop princesses hogging up the charts and dominating the music industry and basically no one over the age of 14 likes music.  ::)

Aside from The Matrix and Erin Brockovich, 1999 and 2000 were pretty underwhelming years for films as well.

There really isn't too much to say about this anymore. It was definitely cheesy.

Are you kdding, 1999: Fight Club, Tarzan, Green Mile, Toy Story 2, The Iron Giant, American Beauty, American Pie, Being John Malkovich, Big Daddy, Galaxy Quest, Election.

Written By: aja675 on 02/08/16 at 3:14 am

I actually agree with you, but at the same time, 1999-2000 could still look like 10 years ago if you're watching an HD video of something from that era. You can't say that about 1989 or 1990 in 2006.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/08/16 at 6:16 am

You mean 1998-2002 Y2K era culture? I think it was amazing. Too many people focus on the Teeny stuff (which could be worse. i.e. Justin Bieber) and forget about all the great movies, television and music that came out during this time. Personally, I'm glad I was a teenager/young adult throughout the core 90's and the Y2K era and I'm very nostalgic for those days. All the bands I saw live when they were at their peak, all the times I'd skate around with the newest Pop Punk CD's in my discman, when MTV2 actually played the real stuff, the Dell Guy was the TV mascot, Green Day were true to their roots and that garbage American Idiot album had yet to come out, you had TV like Friends, Buffy, King of the Hill, Invader Zim and the movies coming out were hilarious and fun like Dirty Work, American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait, Emperor's New Groove, Spider-Man and Scooby Doo. The 80's were also great no matter how corny people say they are. I loved the core 90's too because of the good care-free Beavis and Butthead vibes that were felt. Everyone wants things to be super melodramatic, hypersensitive and serious like the mid 00's-today but I'm the type of guy who actually likes having fun with my life and not taking things too seriously like the guys in Panic at the Disco would rather do.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 6:53 am

Honestly, I actually really like a lot of the teen pop from the millennial era.  Some of it is pretty vapid, like 98 Degrees and Aaron Carter, but so much of it gives off a bubbly, vibrant, melodic, and in-your-face spirit that I just really adore.  It all takes me back to a really special place, when there seemed to be a pure lust for the fundamentals of life, and should not be compared to the shallow, drearily produced, melodically bankrupt teen pop of today.  I'm the type of woman who loves clinging to anything catchy, no matter how cheesy it is.  Here are some of my favorite teen pop songs from around 1999-2000:

* "Always Come Back to Your Love" / Samantha Mumba
* "Never Had a Dream Come True" / S Club 7
* "Smile" / Vitamin C
* "(You Drive Me) Crazy" / Britney Spears
* "Day and Night" / Billie Piper
* "Pure Shores" / All Saints

Although I definitely prefer the mid-90s over the late 90s for music, I still get nostalgic for the Y2K era in a precious way.  If mid-90s music chills me out and stimulates my thought, then late 90s music puts me on a sugar high and helps me to crack a smile.

I also really miss the fashion of the second half of the Y2K era.  I wish I could wear sweats and tube tops everywhere I went, rather than having to don unengaging thrift shop outfits just to be stylish.  The colorful aesthetic of the millennial era is a lot more up my alley.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/08/16 at 9:56 am

1999(Year I was born :) ) and 2000 people were optimistic about the new Millennium, while many were fearful of the Y2K Bug it did not really affect anything that much so the optimism continued. The incredible bull market run of the Nasdaq was evident in those two years..... the Nasdaq went from 1,700 in October 1998 to an incredible 5,048 on March 10th, 2000. An incredible ONCE IN A LIFETIME gain of nearly 500%. The economy after slowing down slightly in mid 1998 incredibly roared back to life with 1998, 1999 and early 2000. Each year from 1997-2000 the US Economy grew at 4%..... unprecedented and the last time we grew at 4%. The Dotcom bubble bursting in April 2000 busted a lot of the optimism but most people were still slightly optimistic about the new millennium. 2001 we slowed down significantly but we were pretty much outside of a recession and we would not have a recession if 9/11 didn't happen and burst consumer confidence. I think some of the aspects of pop culture in 1999-2000 can be attributed to the incredible optimism by everyone and by the US & Stock Market Economy doing really well.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 2:48 pm

Ah yes, I definitely have to mention the games that were massive back in 1999 and 2000!  The PC was practically heaven, full of titles that promoted artistic freedom and legit strategy and weren't all just a bunch of repetitive macho man fuel fests.  Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, Age of Empires II, those games truly blew me away!  I still come back to them frequently today.  Then, of course, there was Pokémania, Nintendo 64 games like Donkey Kong 64 and Pokémon Stadium, and the debut of Dance Dance Revolution!  Back then, just about anybody could be a gamer and find something that would appeal to them, including females.  I really wish the gaming industry had expanded more upon these foundations rather than degenerating into a men's Fight Club on the hardcore side and a gaggle of pedestrian mobile games on the casual side.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/08/16 at 3:34 pm

I really wish the gaming industry had expanded more upon these foundations rather than degenerating into a men's Fight Club on the hardcore side and a gaggle of pedestrian mobile games on the casual side.

While there are still some kids playing video games on their 3DS's today, I notice a large group of them playing most of their games on mobile devices like the iPad, iPod, or Samsung. Like the way the Gameboy Color, Advance, or even DS games were exciting to us when we were younger is how mobile apps on touchscreens are exciting to them today.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/08/16 at 3:39 pm

While I am not a huge fan of teen pop, I'd take N'SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, & Aaron Carter over One Direction, Five Seconds of Summer, Fifth Harmony, & Justin Bieber any day of the week!

Written By: Howard on 02/08/16 at 3:42 pm

While there are still some kids playing video games on their 3DS's today, I notice a large group of them playing most of their games on mobile devices like the iPad, iPod, or Samsung. Like the way the Gameboy Color, Advance, or even DS games were exciting to us when we were younger is how mobile apps on touchscreens are exciting to them today.

that's the newest thing kids are doing these days.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 5:23 pm

The iPhone originally came out as close to 1998 as it did to today, so I don't understand why people are still so addicted to touchscreen games and apps.  Hopefully, virtual reality will flourish into something exciting within a few years.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/08/16 at 5:27 pm

While I am not a huge fan of teen pop, I'd take N'SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, & Aaron Carter over One Direction, Five Seconds of Summer, Fifth Harmony, & Justin Bieber any day of the week!

All of that is absolute crap.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/16 at 5:29 pm

Ah yes, I definitely have to mention the games that were massive back in 1999 and 2000!  The PC was practically heaven, full of titles that promoted artistic freedom and legit strategy and weren't all just a bunch of repetitive macho man fuel fests.  Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, Age of Empires II, those games truly blew me away!  I still come back to them frequently today.  Then, of course, there was Pokémania, Nintendo 64 games like Donkey Kong 64 and Pokémon Stadium, and the debut of Dance Dance Revolution!  Back then, just about anybody could be a gamer and find something that would appeal to them, including females.  I really wish the gaming industry had expanded more upon these foundations rather than degenerating into a men's Fight Club on the hardcore side and a gaggle of pedestrian mobile games on the casual side.

Agreed! I loved those games! 1998-2000 was an amazing time to be alive just for the video games. Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, Super Smash Bros. (N64), Mario Party series, Kirby 64, Donkey Kong 64, Majora's Mask, Resident Evil 2 are also games I remember being addicted to. There were a billion others I hadn't played. You just don't get games like those these days anymore. Gaming has been dominated by "dudebros" for the longest time now.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 5:41 pm

I hate to admit it, but I loved NSYNC and Aaron Carter as a little boy! ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/16 at 5:43 pm

I hate to admit it, but I loved NSYNC and Aaron Carter as a little boy! ;D

You may hate me but it ain't no lie baby bye bye bye

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/08/16 at 5:44 pm

You may hate me but it ain't no lie baby bye bye bye

Pre K and Kindergeten they were ALWAYS on Disney Channel, during that zoog phase!

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/16 at 5:45 pm

Pre K and Kindergeten they were ALWAYS on Disney Channel, during that zoog phase!

I played loads of NSYNC at basically any party or any time playing musical chairs  ;D Backstreet Boys and Ricky Martin as well.

The music is pretty corny, but it's not 80s corny. The 80s give off this vibe that everyone had clown makeup and side ponytails. I don't think people assume everyone in the Y2K era was in a boyband. Or at least I don't think they do.  :o

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 6:01 pm

Do you prefer mid-2010s teen pop over Y2K-era teen pop?

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/08/16 at 6:54 pm

No. I'm too old for both. I don't listen to either of them because I like good music.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 7:26 pm

No. I'm too old for both. I don't listen to either of them because I like good music.

I still think millennial teen pop was a lot catchier and more alive than the boring kitsch we're stuck with today.  I personally don't care how prepackaged a song is so long as I enjoy listening to it.

I don't know, maybe it's just that Y2K-era teen pop's cheesy, in-your-face style resonates a lot more with me personally than somebody like you.  I love the sugar coated melodies that are actually backed by fresh, emphatic production, although I can definitely see why others would feel opposite.

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 9:00 pm

The iPhone originally came out as close to 1998 as it did to today, so I don't understand why people are still so addicted to touchscreen games and apps.  Hopefully, virtual reality will flourish into something exciting within a few years.

Mobile gaming over the years (from the late '00s - present '10s) has apparently been at a rise. The rise of mobile gaming even made some analysts predict that console gaming would die after the 8th gen. They all thought the 8th gen consoles would fail in terms of sales as mobile devices would keep gives from getting consoles. That prediction has now been proven false as the 8th gen consoles (with the exception of the Wii U) have had a decent to great levels of success. And we'll be going into a 9th console gen soon. As for why people are still into mobile games......eeehhh I can't answer that with 100% accuracy. Some say it's because people can play tons of inexpensive games on the go. And others say people like how mobile devices can have more than 1 use.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/08/16 at 10:57 pm

Am I the only person here with a soft spot for Y2K era teen pop?  :\'(

Written By: Toon on 02/08/16 at 11:07 pm

Am I the only person here with a soft spot for Y2K era teen pop?  :\'(

Nope!  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/08/16 at 11:16 pm

Honestly, I actually really like a lot of the teen pop from the millennial era.  Some of it is pretty vapid, like 98 Degrees and Aaron Carter, but so much of it gives off a bubbly, vibrant, melodic, and in-your-face spirit that I just really adore.  It all takes me back to a really special place, when there seemed to be a pure lust for the fundamentals of life, and should not be compared to the shallow, drearily produced, melodically bankrupt teen pop of today.  I'm the type of woman who loves clinging to anything catchy, no matter how cheesy it is.  Here are some of my favorite teen pop songs from around 1999-2000:

* "Always Come Back to Your Love" / Samantha Mumba
* "Never Had a Dream Come True" / S Club 7
* "Smile" / Vitamin C
* "(You Drive Me) Crazy" / Britney Spears
* "Day and Night" / Billie Piper
* "Pure Shores" / All Saints

Although I definitely prefer the mid-90s over the late 90s for music, I still get nostalgic for the Y2K era in a precious way.  If mid-90s music chills me out and stimulates my thought, then late 90s music puts me on a sugar high and helps me to crack a smile.

I also really miss the fashion of the second half of the Y2K era.  I wish I could wear sweats and tube tops everywhere I went, rather than having to don unengaging thrift shop outfits just to be stylish.  The colorful aesthetic of the millennial era is a lot more up my alley.
I agree with you. There was something about the Teen pop from the Millennial era that was different than today's. In fact, despite a majority of those songs being cheesy, they were listenable. I actually listened to some of them some time ago and they still had that cheesy vibe. Just like you, I even get nostalgic for that era; there was something wonderful about it. It was like fantasyland.

Yes yes yes!!!! The games were definitely fantastic during that timeframe. I have played many of them and they had variety. Every genre you can find was there. Me too. If they had done that, the industry would be much better.

As for the question, I say no is because some people have forgotten that there was more than just teen pop. There was latin music, techno, R&B, Rap, and Rock. I recall J.Lo, Smash Mouth, Alice DJ, Jagged Edge, Mya, Aaliyah, N'Sync, Third Eye Blind, Faith Evans and more. There was definitely something excellent about the Y2K era. A few factors I noticed is that it was exciting, happy, unique and miscellaneous that other users have said. Regarding that, it's much better than today for sure. Sometimes, I wish I was older at the time so I could have experienced it like Jordan did. Despite the bad events that occurred in that timeframe, it was still awesome to enjoy ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/08/16 at 11:37 pm

Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney Spears, 98 Degrees, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, Aaron Carter, M2M, Five,...

Written By: aja675 on 02/09/16 at 8:40 am

I personally remember teen pop from my early childhood.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/09/16 at 9:11 am

Nope, I loved the late 90's/early 00's teen pop! BSB, NSYNC, Britney Spears, etc.

Heck music from 1997-2003 was like a mini golden age IMO, Guilty Pleasure Teen Pop, Glam Rap, Latin Pop, Neptunes Era R&B, Post Grunge, Nu Metal, Pop Punk, etc. those were good times 8)

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/16 at 3:32 pm

Yes yes yes!!!! The games were definitely fantastic during that timeframe. I have played many of them and they had variety. Every genre you can find was there. Me too. If they had done that, the industry would be much better.

That post by Infinity is the post I agree with most on this forum, ever.  ;D In the late 90s for gaming there was something for everyone. The rise of dudebro gaming since the mid-2000s has been a real shame. Back then one could argue that games were marketed heavily kids but there were still many games that an adult or teen of both genders could play. Nowadays, console gaming is heavily targetted towards teen boys or macho 20-30something men, basically dudebros.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/16 at 6:04 pm

That post by Infinity is the post I agree with most on this forum, ever.  ;D In the late 90s for gaming there was something for everyone. The rise of dudebro gaming since the mid-2000s has been a real shame. Back then one could argue that games were marketed heavily kids but there were still many games that an adult or teen of both genders could play. Nowadays, console gaming is heavily targetted towards teen boys or macho 20-30something men, basically dudebros.
That's right!! I can tell you as a gamer. The games today are definitely not the same as the ones from the past. I wish the gaming experience of the pre-mid 00s would return again. I had so much fun in that era. There was some much to choose from no matter what genre and/or console it was from. I also wonder if the people in charge of the industry forgot that women play video games as well? There was many games in each genre out there in the past that they played.

Written By: Jquar on 02/13/16 at 3:46 am

1999 was clearly one of the more impressive years for film in recent history, actually.

The Sixth Sense, The Green Mile, Fight Club, The Insider, The Straight Story, Office Space, The Matrix, Being John Malkovich, American Beauty, Eyes Wide Shut, Toy Story 2, October Sky, Magnolia, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Iron Giant, Three Kings, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Blair Witch Project

Written By: Toon on 02/13/16 at 9:01 pm

Dudebros are awesome. Nothing better than being a 20-30something that sits around and plays gritty shooters on your Xbox one while munching on Doritos and Dew.  8)

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/562/239/e3b.jpg

20-30somethings are the ones who end up paying for the games while kids have to wait for mommy and daddy to buy them the games. Companies recognized this and decided to mainly go for the older audience. And boy did this bring success. Got the dudebro-ish games like GTA, COD, Halo, Destiny and such that sell around 10+ million. But at the same time I did like it when games were colorful. I don't want mature games to go away, but I'd be happier if over half the games shown at E3 DIDN'T involve shooting. This is why I mainly stick to indie games nowadays. They offer unique ideas/experiences while also being much cheaper (usually around $0-$20 vs the AAA FPS games that go for $60).

Check for new replies or respond here...