inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Listening Preference

Written By: Ripley on 02/09/16 at 1:57 pm

Which way do you prefer listening to music? I'm not including digital. Imagine it's 20 years ago and I phones and pods don't exist! :D

Subject: Re: Music Listening Preference

Written By: #Infinity on 02/09/16 at 1:59 pm

CD's are just really convenient, especially after the introduction of the portable CD player.  It's likely I'd still use cassettes as running music, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 2:13 pm

Radio!

With no option for radio or live concerts?

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 4:38 pm

The CD.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/16 at 5:03 pm

Vinyl.  I like the warm, authentic sound you get from it.  I also like putting on an album and just listening.  Vinyl is an experience, something you don't get from digital.  Digital is great for being able to carry thousands of songs on your phone, but it robs you of the tangible aspect of music.

Written By: nally on 02/12/16 at 11:28 pm

Radio!

With no option for radio or live concerts?

That would be my preference too, as my main method of listening to music, as long as I can remember, has primarily been radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 3:44 am

That would be my preference too, as my main method of listening to music, as long as I can remember, has primarily been radio.
If I listen to a CD, I know which track comes next. I prefer the mystery of songs on the radio, you do not know what is coming next.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 7:56 am

If I listen to a CD, I know which track comes next. I prefer the mystery of songs on the radio, you do not know what is coming next.

same here, the radio is a good listening preference.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 7:57 am

I also prefer internet radio, I want to know what's coming next.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/16 at 3:48 pm

In the 90s my bed had a built-in cassette player, so definitely that. ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/16 at 3:51 pm

All of them! I also listen to music on the internet or I download them to my phone.

Written By: nally on 02/13/16 at 4:03 pm

Yeah, me too. :)

Of course, with some CD players, there is the "random/shuffle" selection, which will start with a random track on the CD (you don't know which one), and then go to one of the other tracks... and will keep going this way until all the tracks are played.

Written By: nally on 02/13/16 at 4:05 pm

I also prefer internet radio, I want to know what's coming next.

I haven't listened to internet radio in a long time.

There is also Music Choice; no matter what channel you select, the next song will always be a mystery.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 4:06 pm

How was that even possible?

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 4:07 pm

All of them! I also listen to music on the internet or I download them to my phone.

What's your favorite internet radio station?

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/16 at 4:10 pm

How was that even possible?

Hmmm, it was sort of like this, except it was smaller, and a cassette player instead of 8-track.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_K6OoUqsGlAA/TK0yEpgZTEI/AAAAAAAAGLY/bHa1qWJc5pg/s1600/IMG_2261.jpg

Written By: Toon on 02/13/16 at 8:33 pm

As of 2016 I'm more of a CD kind of guy.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/13/16 at 8:52 pm

8-tracks made the poll. I figured I was the only person on the planet that still listens to 8-tracks. There is
nothing like hearing a song fade out, the track change, and the song fade in where it left off. I like albums
most, I bought my first album in '74, it was Led Zeppelin II. My second album was Foghat - Fool For The City.
I still have them, as well as all my other albums.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/14/16 at 12:55 am

I just started collecting vinyls last year.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/14/16 at 6:38 am

What's your favorite internet radio station?

I go to Grooveshark which isn't really a radio station it's more of searching for songs. I also like Pandora which is Internet radio.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/16 at 12:45 pm

It is and will always be CDs for me

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 3:11 pm

Hmmm, it was sort of like this, except it was smaller, and a cassette player instead of 8-track.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_K6OoUqsGlAA/TK0yEpgZTEI/AAAAAAAAGLY/bHa1qWJc5pg/s1600/IMG_2261.jpg

That's a cool invention.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 3:11 pm

I go to Grooveshark which isn't really a radio station it's more of searching for songs. I also like Pandora which is Internet radio.

I love Pandora.

Written By: 2001 on 02/14/16 at 3:16 pm

The nice thing about vinyl is they still release new albums on vinyl. They stopped releasing new music on cassettes and 8-tracks ages ago obviously.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/16 at 4:18 pm

I love Pandora.

Me too but I don't like iheart

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/14/16 at 6:26 pm

We used to have this sectional with two loveseats, and a middle table, and it had a rasied portion on the back of it, with a radio/cassette. It never got used because we had a radio/cd/cassette/record player system

Written By: violet_shy on 02/14/16 at 6:49 pm

That's different! Must have been really awesome :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 7:00 pm

CDs FTW! They're basically the best format for music. 45' and Vinyl records aren't that good mobile-wise, and 8-Tracks are pretty much terrible because of their audio quality. Cassettes are okay, but it would never beat the mighty CD.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/14/16 at 7:25 pm

I do like CDs, but haven't bought any in years, since descovering I can get just about any song I ever wanted, on my phone, for free. OncexI get, and have room for a record player- I'll star getting records.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/14/16 at 11:55 pm

vwrU8s-M-gc

Interesting video from the early days of the CD in 1985.

Say what you want about vinyl but 75 years from now, as long as records have been taken care of they will still be playable.  Early CDs are already showing signs of rot, after only 30 years.  Compare that to the shellac 78s from the opening decades of the 20th century that still play and still sound good (as long as they are in good condition).  One of the original selling points of CDs are that they would last forever, but now we are finding out that isn't necessarily true.

The CD was a great medium during its heyday, before the loudness wars ruined the quality of it.  Nowadays its MP3 for portability but if you really want to sit back and enjoy an album, vinyl is the way to do it.  Like cassette before it, the CD will gradually die out and I don't see it ever becoming super valuable like some of the rarer vinyl records are today.

The one thing that could save the CD is better mastering and optimization for the format.  Give people a reason to choose CD over digital or vinyl.  It is capable of far more than what we've seen in recent years.  With the highly compressed, muddy sound offered by today's CD, there is no reason to choose it over iTunes and those who want a physical copy of their music are better served by vinyl, provided that they have a decent turntable and speakers.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:18 pm

Me too but I don't like iheart

Pandora, I like to mix and match my favorite songs and artists.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 10:44 am

I, for one, welcome our new vinyl overlords.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 10:53 am

The nice thing about vinyl is they still release new albums on vinyl. They stopped releasing new music on cassettes and 8-tracks ages ago obviously.

Haha, you won't believe this but tons of new music is actually coming out on cassette. Yes, even major label bands are releasing new tapes. ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 02/20/16 at 11:01 am

Haha, you won't believe this but tons of new music is actually coming out on cassette. Yes, even major label bands are releasing new tapes. ;D

Why?  Is it specifically for people with old cars that only have a cassette player?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 11:03 am

Why?  Is it specifically for people with old cars that only have a cassette player?

It's because of the whole cassette comeback thing. You know about Record Store Day, right? About a year or two (2013, I believe) they started having a Cassette Store Day and it just took off. Now a lot of new releases are coming out on CD, vinyl and cassette.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/20/16 at 11:19 am

It's because of the whole cassette comeback thing. You know about Record Store Day, right? About a year or two (2013, I believe) they started having a Cassette Store Day and it just took off. Now a lot of new releases are coming out on CD, vinyl and cassette.

Like I posted in the '10s forum about the cassette comeback, I just don't see a point.  Cassette was never a worthy successor to the LP, which is why vinyl didn't decline until the second half of the 80s when CD started to take over.  It was pretty much just a way to make music portable; the MP3 of its day, except much worse.  If you want analog sound, vinyl is the answer.  If you want portability, CD or MP3 are the best options.  Cassette belongs in the trash heap of history.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 11:30 am

Like I posted in the '10s forum about the cassette comeback, I just don't see a point.  Cassette was never a worthy successor to the LP, which is why vinyl didn't decline until the second half of the 80s when CD started to take over.  It was pretty much just a way to make music portable; the MP3 of its day, except much worse.  If you want analog sound, vinyl is the answer.  If you want portability, CD or MP3 are the best options.  Cassette belongs in the trash heap of history.

It depends, really. Regular cassettes degrade over time and don't always sound the best but it's a different story if you buy CrO2 or Metal tapes. Much like your needle (which should be replaced often if you use your records a lot) and the records themselves, it's also a good idea to clean your tape deck as often as you can. Many people forget to do this and then they wonder why their cassettes start sounding like sh!t. You can get pretty close to vinyl sound if you've got a quality stereo system (from the 70's or 80's as that's when stereo equipment peaked) and some CrO2 and Metal tapes. Vinyl will always be the superior music format but, in today's world, listening to new music on any analog formats doesn't make any sense. Until more newer artists start recording and mastering their albums completely in analog and then pressing it to vinyl you might as well just buy the CD.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 2:39 pm

I, for one, welcome our new vinyl overlords.

You still own vinyl?

Written By: nally on 02/20/16 at 2:42 pm

You still own vinyl?

My parents still do... and last time we played one of those records, it still sounded fine.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 9:22 pm

You still own vinyl?

Yeah. It's all 70's and 80's Punk, Alternative, Hip Hop and Industrial stuff.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 3:16 pm

Yeah. It's all 70's and 80's Punk, Alternative, Hip Hop and Industrial stuff.

My Father collected a lot of 70's music plus a lot of comedy that included Belle Barth.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 3:24 pm

My Father collected a lot of 70's music plus a lot of comedy that included Belle Barth.

I got a lot of 70's Punk. The Ramones, Clash, Pistols, Generation X, The Buzzcocks, etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/16 at 4:03 pm

It depends, really. Regular cassettes degrade over time and don't always sound the best but it's a different story if you buy CrO2 or Metal tapes. Much like your needle (which should be replaced often if you use your records a lot) and the records themselves, it's also a good idea to clean your tape deck as often as you can. Many people forget to do this and then they wonder why their cassettes start sounding like sh!t. You can get pretty close to vinyl sound if you've got a quality stereo system (from the 70's or 80's as that's when stereo equipment peaked) and some CrO2 and Metal tapes. Vinyl will always be the superior music format but, in today's world, listening to new music on any analog formats doesn't make any sense. Until more newer artists start recording and mastering their albums completely in analog and then pressing it to vinyl you might as well just buy the CD.

I definitely think vinyl is the way to archive music for future generations.  The reason being is that CDs rot overtime and are proving not to last indefinitely like was touted during the early days of the technology.  Digital will last but in the event of a solar flare/pulse or collapse of the electrical grid, it could very easily be wiped out.  Vinyl is the only thing that is sure to last and it will still be playable 200 years from now if taken care of.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/22/16 at 4:12 pm

I definitely think vinyl is the way to archive music for future generations.  The reason being is that CDs rot overtime and are proving not to last indefinitely like was touted during the early days of the technology.  Digital will last but in the event of a solar flare/pulse or collapse of the electrical grid, it could very easily be wiped out.  Vinyl is the only thing that is sure to last and it will still be playable 200 years from now if taken care of.

Those are good points but I don't think anyone today is really that invested in vinyl to actually use it for archiving purposes. Most archives, unfortunately, have gone the way of the digital. In general, digital music should just not be listened to on vinyl. It's a waste of money and resources. The recent surge of limited edition colored vinyl is also hurting independent labels and artist who used to have a thriving vinyl scene. Thanks to big major labels investing in this new vinyl resurgence, newer digitally recorded albums are being horded up at vinyl pressing plants while bands and labels that actually recorded their stuff on analog are being squeezed out. Hell, even major labels are having problems themselves. There is a small number of high quality pressing plants around these days and it's too expensive to build more. But thanks Hipsters and their colored vinyl obsession, they have managed to bring out the worst in vinyl and ruin it for everyone. 

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/16 at 12:15 am

Those are good points but I don't think anyone today is really that invested in vinyl to actually use it for archiving purposes. Most archives, unfortunately, have gone the way of the digital. In general, digital music should just not be listened to on vinyl. It's a waste of money and resources. The recent surge of limited edition colored vinyl is also hurting independent labels and artist who used to have a thriving vinyl scene. Thanks to big major labels investing in this new vinyl resurgence, newer digitally recorded albums are being horded up at vinyl pressing plants while bands and labels that actually recorded their stuff on analog are being squeezed out. Hell, even major labels are having problems themselves. There is a small number of high quality pressing plants around these days and it's too expensive to build more. But thanks Hipsters and their colored vinyl obsession, they have managed to bring out the worst in vinyl and ruin it for everyone.

Agree with all of this.  I wish more people would realize that the real benefit to vinyl comes when the music was mastered in analog.  Digitally-mastered music doesn't sound any better in my opinion.  I think the only use for digital music on vinyl is for DJs.  A lot of DJs have refused to move to digital and stuck with vinyl through the CD era, before the resurgence began for consumers.  I don't so much wish people would stop buying new music on vinyl, but that major labels would go back to analog mastering in order to better take advantage of it.  An analog recording can be converted to sound good digitally much easier than a digital master can be made to sound good on vinyl.

As for hipsters, they are probably listening to it on Crosleys anyways, which ruins records and completely defeats the purpose of the format.

I was at my local record store the other evening and there was a hipster, probably about 24 years old, browsing the cassettes.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/16 at 7:38 am

I'm a music lover, so I own records: 45s, vinyl. I also own cassettes and CDs. But I love listening to music on my phone and downloading songs from the internet.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 10:22 am

Agree with all of this.  I wish more people would realize that the real benefit to vinyl comes when the music was mastered in analog.  Digitally-mastered music doesn't sound any better in my opinion.  I think the only use for digital music on vinyl is for DJs.  A lot of DJs have refused to move to digital and stuck with vinyl through the CD era, before the resurgence began for consumers.  I don't so much wish people would stop buying new music on vinyl, but that major labels would go back to analog mastering in order to better take advantage of it.  An analog recording can be converted to sound good digitally much easier than a digital master can be made to sound good on vinyl.

As for hipsters, they are probably listening to it on Crosleys anyways, which ruins records and completely defeats the purpose of the format.

I was at my local record store the other evening and there was a hipster, probably about 24 years old, browsing the cassettes.

100%. If you take an analog recording and convert it to digital so you can put it on a CD, it probably won't sound any worse if remixed and mastered properly for the format. Do it the other way around for vinyl, it'll sound like crap.

Crosleys?!?! Oh boy... I just hope they're not playing any rare/expensive records one their Crosleys... A few time on that thing and it's going in the trash (thanks to the arm having no counterweight adjustments). I'm tired of telling people that Crosley is only good for wrecking your wreckords (their new slogan) and nothing else. You know it's a bad turntable when you can't even change the needle! The 70s and 80s are the best era for turntables/stereo equipment by far.

I always see them browsing the tape/vinyl section. They love their limited edition colored vinyl. I was out at a record store a few weeks back and the store had a limited edition Decemberists (I think? Terrible band, anyway) LP so, of course, the dude with his friends took it out (and got their fingerprints all over the grooves, I might add) and you wouldn't believe the disappointment on their faces. "Aw, shucks! They don't have it colored? Black is soooo boring" Yes, he actually said this. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/23/16 at 2:54 pm

I'm a music lover, so I own records: 45s, vinyl. I also own cassettes and CDs. But I love listening to music on my phone and downloading songs from the internet.

You ever hear what's on your cassettes?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/16 at 3:30 pm

Crosleys?!?! Oh boy... I just hope they're not playing any rare/expensive records one their Crosleys... A few time on that thing and it's going in the trash (thanks to the arm having no counterweight adjustments). I'm tired of telling people that Crosley is only good for wrecking your wreckords (their new slogan) and nothing else. You know it's a bad turntable when you can't even change the needle! The 70s and 80s are the best era for turntables/stereo equipment by far.

Take a look at this video for a laugh.

hN2qxn0xNzg

I had a Crosley for about a month before I learned how terrible they are and exchanged it for an Audio-Technica.  I did ruin a couple of records on it.  After only a few weeks, it started playing off pitch because the motor simply isn't strong enough to handle the weight of the older, pre-Dynaflex records.

One thing I like about the Crosley is their style.  They are the only manufacturer currently making equipment to look vintage as well as including a pre-amp/speakers are part of the package.  It's too bad that the actual equipment itself is pure garbage, worse than the late 1970s children's record players from Fisher Price. 

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/f0eLfYg5_48/hqdefault.jpg

I wish a manufacturer would come up with a vintage-style system that has a turntable at least as good as the Audio-Technica LP-60 (which for a new turntable is the cheapest acceptable model you can get).

I always see them browsing the tape/vinyl section. They love their limited edition colored vinyl. I was out at a record store a few weeks back and the store had a limited edition Decemberists (I think? Terrible band, anyway) LP so, of course, the dude with his friends took it out (and got their fingerprints all over the grooves, I might add) and you wouldn't believe the disappointment on their faces. "Aw, shucks! They don't have it colored? Black is soooo boring" Yes, he actually said this. ::)

Colored vinyl has been around for a long time.  I've seen old 1950s RCA-Victor records that are colored.  However, I really don't see a point in it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 3:45 pm

Take a look at this video for a laugh.

hN2qxn0xNzg

I had a Crosley for about a month before I learned how terrible they are and exchanged it for an Audio-Technica.  I did ruin a couple of records on it.  After only a few weeks, it started playing off pitch because the motor simply isn't strong enough to handle the weight of the older, pre-Dynaflex records.

One thing I like about the Crosley is their style.  They are the only manufacturer currently making equipment to look vintage as well as including a pre-amp/speakers are part of the package.  It's too bad that the actual equipment itself is pure garbage, worse than the late 1970s children's record players from Fisher Price. 

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/f0eLfYg5_48/hqdefault.jpg

I wish a manufacturer would come up with a vintage-style system that has a turntable at least as good as the Audio-Technica LP-60 (which for a new turntable is the cheapest acceptable model you can get).

That video's hilarious! I'm proud to say I've never owned a Crosley in my life. They're fun if you either want: your records to started getting bad skips, scratche them to shreds, totally destroy the grooves, have them started to sound all wonky or, in the best case scenario, actually warp the record itself!!!

Personally, I just like the look of the 70's-80's stereo equipment. The sliver boxy look is pretty rad. Crosley tries to hard to be nostalgic while selling off their garbage.

I don't think turntables have been at their best since around 1990/1991, honestly.

Colored vinyl has been around for a long time.  I've seen old 1950s RCA-Victor records that are colored.  However, I really don't see a point in it.

Yeah, I got old S.O.A. and Minor Threat records from 1981 that are colored. It's nothing new but the market's a different story. When I was growing up and me, my sister and my brother went to buy records in the late 80's, it wasn't anything like "Oh no! This record is black! That's so boring!!! I guess we'll have to go home. Boo hoo." Buying the same record (in different colors) 20 times is even worse. Hipsters don't even play records. They buy them to show off on their shelves.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/16 at 5:18 pm

Yeah, I got old S.O.A. and Minor Threat records from 1981 that are colored. It's nothing new but the market's a different story. When I was growing up and me, my sister and my brother went to buy records in the late 80's, it wasn't anything like "Oh no! This record is black! That's so boring!!! I guess we'll have to go home. Boo hoo." Buying the same record (in different colors) 20 times is even worse. Hipsters don't even play records. They buy them to show off on their shelves.

Yeah, I agree.  It's pretty ridiculous.

When trying to talk vinyl with hipsters, I sometimes wonder if they realize how much they are embarrassing themselves.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 5:24 pm

Yeah, I agree.  It's pretty ridiculous.

When trying to talk vinyl with hipsters, I sometimes wonder if they realize how much they are embarrassing themselves.

They seem to think vinyl is all about limited edition colors, gatefold sleeves, Crosleys and nothing more. It's unfortunate that hipsters have to take an incredible format and give it a bad name and give it some sorta stigma.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/16 at 5:34 pm

They seem to think vinyl is all about limited edition colors, gatefold sleeves, Crosleys and nothing more. It's unfortunate that hipsters have to take an incredible format and give it a bad name and give it some sorta stigma.

Good thing is that some of them will jump on the fad and discover the actual joys of the format and then move onto a better turntable.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 5:46 pm

Good thing is that some of them will jump on the fad and discover the actual joys of the format and then move onto a better turntable.

Hopefully they learn to watch out with what they're buying, too. As we both know, some people think "just because it's on vinyl it sounds better" when it's much more complex than that. I'm hoping more people educate themselves on what makes a good record.

You know what's another thing that is ruining the format? Vinyl today's quality is actually getting worse. Nowadays the plants use cheaper materials rather than 30 years ago so all those reissues will decay a lot faster.

Written By: nally on 02/23/16 at 6:02 pm

I still play mine semi-regularly.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/16 at 6:07 pm

Hopefully they learn to watch out with what they're buying, too. As we both know, some people think "just because it's on vinyl it sounds better" when it's much more complex than that. I'm hoping more people educate themselves on what makes a good record.

You know what's another thing that is ruining the format? Vinyl today's quality is actually getting worse. Nowadays the plants use cheaper materials rather than 30 years ago so all those reissues will decay a lot faster.

It depends.  I think today's vinyl is of better quality than a lot of what was being produced in the 1980s, but nothing beats pressings from the 1950s and 1960s, before RCA-Victor switched to Dynaflex and other labels followed suit.

Speaking of hipsters, here is something else they are playing their records with, if you thought a crosley as bad enough.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=38928826&category=A_MUSIC_TURNTABLE

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 6:33 pm

It depends.  I think today's vinyl is of better quality than a lot of what was being produced in the 1980s, but nothing beats pressings from the 1950s and 1960s, before RCA-Victor switched to Dynaflex and other labels followed suit.

Speaking of hipsters, here is something else they are playing their records with, if you thought a crosley as bad enough.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=38928826&category=A_MUSIC_TURNTABLE

I think today there's more recycled vinyl that's more susceptible and skipping. Thing with Dynaflex is that the records don't really sound bad but the material is so thin and flimsy. I actually don't own too many Dynalflex (if any at all. I'll have to check) records but the one's I've heard sound pretty good.

Oh yes, the amazing Vinyl Bus! I hope to god they're not playing something valuable with these things.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:30 pm

I still play mine semi-regularly.

I play mine occasionally.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/24/16 at 6:20 pm

Only when I get all nostalgic and have to listen to them. Not very often, but when I do it's beautiful harmony, lol.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/16 at 4:08 pm

Only when I get all nostalgic and have to listen to them. Not very often, but when I do it's beautiful harmony, lol.

Now I don't even remember what's on mine, It's been years.

Check for new replies or respond here...