inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video Rental Store

Written By: Ripley on 02/09/16 at 2:48 pm

Which rental store did you go to when they were still around? Was it a big name or a small Mom & Pop store? If there's still one that exists that you go to, what's the name of it and how often do you go?

Subject: Re: Video Rental Store

Written By: Brian06 on 02/09/16 at 3:50 pm

I usually went to Blockbuster growing up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 3:59 pm

In my time back then, I never hired a video tape, I brought mine to keep.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 4:00 pm

Which rental store did you go to when they were still around? Was it a big name or a small Mom & Pop store? If there's still one that exists that you go to, what's the name of it and how often do you go?
You put this topic in the Food Glorious Food board.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 4:47 pm

I always went to Blockbuster.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 6:23 pm

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were the most memorable ones, but I'm going with Blockbuster since I saw more of those around my area growing up.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/12/16 at 6:37 pm

I went to a local chain called Orland Video. I have such fond memories of going there and picking out movies from the kid's section. Going in there and smelling that stale, plasticky smell and browsing all the faded VHS covers, often knowing exactly what I was looking for. The thrill of the tape being available behind the cover and the disappointment of it being gone/checked out. It's like the old saying goes, you can't go home again!

I cannot tell you how many times I rented Return to Oz as a kid.

Written By: Toon on 02/12/16 at 6:43 pm

RIP Blockbuster 1985-2013
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/blockbuster-closing.jpg

Back when I used to get rentals I mainly went to Blockbuster.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 6:53 pm

Hollywood Video FTW! So many great memories in that place, renting VHS Tapes, DVDs, & Video Games, ahh nostalgia

http://media2.fdncms.com/portmerc/imager/farewell-hollywood-video/u/original/2495689/1272994764-hollywood.png

Although I loved Blockbuster as well, but I personally have a little more memories with Hollywood Video for some reason

Also this quote will live through the ages (hopefully):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KNwriJczssI/Vjoq1Oe5fDI/AAAAAAAAqUI/03WkyS_ecq4/s640/bekindrewind%2B01.png

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 6:57 pm

We had a chain store called "Movie Shack". They had video games, VHS, and of course a lot of candy as you were heading out!

It snows a lot where I live. Me and my friends would knock at houses and offer to shovel their driveways for $1 or $2 each with our puppy eyes. We made bank, and then we'd go to the rental store to rent all the latest games and movies.

I went to a local chain called Orland Video. I have such fond memories of going there and picking out movies from the kid's section. Going in there and smelling that stale, plasticky smell and browsing all the faded VHS covers, often knowing exactly what I was looking for. The thrill of the tape being available behind the cover and the disappointment of it being gone/checked out. It's like the old saying goes, you can't go home again!

Haha, I've also rented a few things multiple times! I distinctly remember my mom not letting me buy Pokémon Stadium 2 because she thought I was addicted, so I just rented it multiple times instead. Silly mom! I probably paid more in renting it then just buying it outright. What can I say? I needed my fix!

My main rental obsession were the Olsen Twins.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/16 at 7:50 pm

In the 80s and 90s it was Major Video. Then later we would go to Blockbuster Video, and after those days Hollywood video.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 8:46 pm

I mainly went to Blockbuster. Though I would occasionally go to Hollywood Video.  Also there was a Movie Gallery and the grocery stores had them. Then there were two I don't remember the names.  But I was really young.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/12/16 at 9:41 pm

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who missed that smell. ;D

Anyways, it was Movie Gallery for us in our little rural town. The store was literally just a half mile from my house, so my parents would let me walk there by myself once I got older. In addition to the movies, MG also had an awesome game section back in the day. I remember browsing the latest Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games, and trying to scrape together $5 worth of allowance so I could rent stuff I didn't already have like Earthworm Jim and Donkey Kong Country.

I also still remember coveting all of those PlayStation and Nintendo 64 games they started adding to their shelves around 1996, even though I wouldn't own either console for another two years. Those memories aren't quite so fond.

Written By: nally on 02/12/16 at 11:25 pm

Hollywood Video FTW! So many great memories in that place, renting VHS Tapes, DVDs, & Video Games, ahh nostalgia

http://media2.fdncms.com/portmerc/imager/farewell-hollywood-video/u/original/2495689/1272994764-hollywood.png

Although I loved Blockbuster as well, but I personally have a little more memories with Hollywood Video for some reason

Also this quote will live through the ages (hopefully):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KNwriJczssI/Vjoq1Oe5fDI/AAAAAAAAqUI/03WkyS_ecq4/s640/bekindrewind%2B01.png

I remember Hollywood Video.

But my family and I mostly went to Blockbuster to rent videos.

Written By: nally on 02/12/16 at 11:26 pm

Yep... it was the end of an era when they went out of business :(

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 8:06 am

Back in the days when you'd rent a video after eating pizza and ice cream on a Friday Night.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 8:07 am

In the 80s and 90s it was Major Video. Then later we would go to Blockbuster Video, and after those days Hollywood video.  :)

In our neighborhood, we had Video Box and Video Zone.

Written By: Ripley on 02/13/16 at 8:55 am

Back in the days when you'd rent a video after eating pizza and ice cream on a Friday Night.  :)

We would rent them then go home and order a pizza

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 9:09 am

We would rent them then go home and order a pizza

Those were the good old days.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/16 at 3:55 pm

Those were the good old days.

Now you can order pizza and watch Netflix  :P

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/16 at 3:56 pm

Back in the 80s, we would frequent two local video stores:  Bandito Video and Diamond Video.  As for chain video stores, it was Jumbo Video.  All the Jumbos in my town have since closed, but there is one in a neighbouring city that I frequent.  I was just there yesterday in fact!

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 4:13 pm

Now you can order pizza and watch Netflix  :P

or you can just watch films on Crackle.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/16 at 4:20 pm

Also there was a Movie Gallery and the grocery stores had them.

Oh yeah, I remember those! Every grocery store had them.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/16/16 at 5:09 pm

I remember seeing a Blockbuster before it went out of business during the early 2010s. I wished I actually went there to rent stuff, but I think I wouldn't care since I have a collection of DVDs.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/16/16 at 5:36 pm

West Coast Video.

I was there just about every night. I got in good with the people who worked there, so much
so that I didn't need to put my name on a list for a hot rental. They always saved a copy for
me. I saw The Last Temptation Of Christ the night it was released on video because they held
a copy for me, boy I wish they hadn't.  :P

When they closed up shop I went to Blockbuster.

Check for new replies or respond here...