inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Video Game You Ever Played/Beaten

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 12:45 pm

Just a fun little topic i just thought of  ;D

I'll start, my first game I ever played was Super Mario World on my cousin's SNES, while my first game that I beaten was Tarzan on my PlayStation 1 :D

Subject: Re: First Video Game You Ever Played/Beaten

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 1:10 pm

First game played: Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

First game finished: some unknown Atari SHMUP. Technically my neighbour helped me finish it. First game I finished mostly by myself was Super Mario 64.

Was Tarzan a 2D game? I think I played that game on the Gameboy.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 1:14 pm

I'm surprised I was able to beat New Super Mario Bros. but not Super Mario Galaxy. Those damn purple comet levels on Super Mario Galaxy http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/bash-head.gif

and when I say beat the WHOLE game, I mean not just the story mode, but unlocking ALL levels, including bonus levels, alternate levels, coins, ALL guns, max prestige, highest ranking, getting ALL your hours in, etc.

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 1:16 pm

I'm surprised I was able to beat New Super Mario Bros. but not Super Mario Galaxy. Those damn purple comet levels on Super Mario Galaxy http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/bash-head.gif

and when I say beat the WHOLE game, I mean not just the story mode, but unlocking ALL levels, including bonus levels, alternate exits, coins, ALL guns, max prestige, getting ALL your hours in, etc.

You mean "complete"? I think the first game I completed was Mario Kart 64 or Super Smash Bros. (N64). Does that count?  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 1:19 pm

You mean "complete"? I think the first game I completed was Mario Kart 64 or Super Smash Bros. (N64). Does that count?  ;D

Did you complete ALL the cups by getting 1st place trophies on 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, and mirror mode (extra) on Mario Kart 64?

Written By: #Infinity on 02/12/16 at 1:26 pm

I believe either Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario 64 was the first video game I ever played - I was introduced to both at the same daycare center so I essentially learned about them at the same time - but I think Super Mario Land may have been the first video game that I beat.  I may have defeated Bowser in the Sky or taken out Andross' brain before then, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't until later that I got 120 stars or medals on all stages.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 1:52 pm

First game played: Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

First game finished: some unknown Atari SHMUP. Technically my neighbour helped me finish it. First game I finished mostly by myself was Super Mario 64.

Was Tarzan a 2D game? I think I played that game on the Gameboy.

Damn you started with the classics thats pretty awesome ;)

Also the Tarzan game I owned had 3-D Polygons but was mainly a sidescroller. Here's some gameplay footage:

C5SfHPIcsOk

and when I say beat the WHOLE game, I mean not just the story mode, but unlocking ALL levels, including bonus levels, alternate levels, coins, ALL guns, max prestige, highest ranking, getting ALL your hours in, etc.

I was the complete opposite, I beat didn't beat New Super Mario Bros until very reccently, I beat Galaxy around in early 08', a few months after I got it ;D

Both games are amazing, and I'd argue some of the greatest Mario games of all time!

I believe either Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario 64 was the first video game I ever played - I was introduced to both at the same daycare center so I essentially learned about them at the same time - but I think Super Mario Land may have been the first video game that I beat.  I may have defeated Bowser in the Sky or taken out Andross' brain before then, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't until later that I got 120 stars or medals on all stages.

Yeah I remember playing both at my cousin's house when I was little. Super Mario 64 was my favorite 3d Mario platformer until Galaxy so thats so saying something! Mario Kart 64 is still my favorite Mario Kart to this day, although DS & 8 (minus lackluster battle mode) were pretty close in taking that spot.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 2:14 pm

I was the complete opposite, I beat didn't beat New Super Mario Bros until very reccently, I beat Galaxy around in early 08', a few months after I got it ;D

Both games are amazing, and I'd argue some of the greatest Mario games of all time!

Yeah I remember playing both at my cousin's house when I was little. Super Mario 64 was my favorite 3d Mario platformer until Galaxy so thats so saying something! Mario Kart 64 is still my favorite Mario Kart to this day, although DS & 8 (minus lackluster battle mode) were pretty close in taking that spot.

One question, did you unlock Luigi on Super Mario Galaxy?

and I could definitely see how Super Mario 64 was the best 3-D Mario platform game out there until you got Galaxy

64 & DS will always be my favorite Mario Kart games, and I don't care how good or bad 64 or DS have aged. It isn't fair to judge a Mario game off of that. I judge based off originality and the features that were added coming into the games compared to previous ones. Just think of the gameplay and experience those two Mario Kart games were like at the time those were brand new and we never seen anything like it before. You didn't feel that at all with Super Circuit, 7, heck even Wii to an extent too. Mario Kart Double Dash was great too but I think the 2 folks in 1 kart was overrated though, but still a really great game though, and it was the first Mario Kart game I owned too.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/16 at 3:24 pm

It was Super Mario 3.

I actually have a Polaroid photo that my mother took of me(and my sister) the day we first played Super Mario 3 on Super Nintendo. :D

Written By: Toon on 02/12/16 at 6:10 pm

For me it was Banjo Kazooie on the Nintendo 64. Always loved the Rare games. Banjo Kazooie was the first game I ever beaten. I can't remember what was my first played game though.

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 6:31 pm

Did you complete ALL the cups by getting 1st place trophies on 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, and mirror mode (extra) on Mario Kart 64?

Yep! I even unlocked the different start screens. I'm not sure if I unlocked all of them; but I did finish all of the cups on all modes.

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/16 at 6:36 pm

Damn you started with the classics thats pretty awesome ;)

Also the Tarzan game I owned had 3-D Polygons but was mainly a sidescroller. Here's some gameplay footage:

C5SfHPIcsOk

Oh yes! I remember that game! I rented it for the N64, it was fun! Good introduction to gaming ;)

Haha, yeah, my parents were cheap. Although this was 1995-97 or around there, so maybe the NES wasn't really retro then. I remember my dad teaching me how to use the gun in Duck Hunt. I was short so I had to stand on the sofa to shoot  ;D I loved my Atari though, I was playing that thing until 1999 at least! The joystick is perfect for airplane and sidescrolling SHMUPs.

For me it was Banjo Kazooie on the Nintendo 64. Always loved the Rare games. Banjo Kazooie was the first game I ever beaten. I can't remember what was my first played game though.

LOVED that game!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 7:11 pm

One question, did you unlock Luigi on Super Mario Galaxy?

and I could definitely see how Super Mario 64 was the best 3-D Mario platform game out there until you got Galaxy

64 & DS will always be my favorite Mario Kart games, and I don't care how good or bad 64 or DS have aged. It isn't fair to judge a Mario game off of that. I judge based off originality and the features that were added coming into the games compared to previous ones. Just think of the gameplay and experience those two Mario Kart games were like at the time those were brand new and we never seen anything like it before. You didn't feel that at all with Super Circuit, 7, heck even Wii to an extent too. Mario Kart Double Dash was great too but I think the 2 folks in 1 kart was overrated though, but still a really great game though, and it was the first Mario Kart game I owned too.

Unfortunately I never did :\'(. However from what I seen from gameplay footage on YouTube he definitely looks like a worthwhile addition to the game!

Also I agree, 64 & DS have yet to have been topped fundamentally on what they were able to achieve. Don't get me wrong I like all of the Mario Karts, but 64, DS, & (to a lesser extent) 8, are hands down the best when it comes to innovation and fun!

I don't think I asked, but what's your least favorite Mario Kart? Mine would probably be Double Dash, but I still though it was pretty fun. I just was never too fond of the double team mechanic

It was Super Mario 3.

I actually have a Polaroid photo that my mother took of me(and my sister) the day we first played Super Mario 3 on Super Nintendo. :D

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite Mario game of all time, so that had to have been awesome expereincing it when it was new :D :D :D (I'm jealous)

My introduction to it was on the Gameboy Advance!

http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/images/Z006/Z00689/Z0068901.jpg

Yeah Banjo Kazooie is classic! I remember playing that at friend's houses and such. Question do you prefer Kazooie or Mario 64? This tends to be a heated debate when it comes to N64 owners. Personally I prefer Mario 64, just slightly, but Kazooie was still a damn good game!

Oh yes! I remember that game! I rented it for the N64, it was fun! Good introduction to gaming ;)

Haha, yeah, my parents were cheap. Although this was 1995-97 or around there, so maybe the NES wasn't really retro then. I remember my dad teaching me how to use the gun in Duck Hunt. I was short so I had to stand on the sofa to shoot  ;D I loved my Atari though, I was playing that thing until 1999 at least! The joystick is perfect for airplane and sidescrolling SHMUPs.

LOVED that game!

Haha yep this game was awesome! Also Tarzan was one of my favorite Disney films as a kid, I owned the it on VHS & DVD, and I would watch the cartoon as well! So this game is definitely something very special to me. Also yeah, the NES & Atari 2600 was WAY before my time, however that's cool your parents introduced you to it!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 7:22 pm

Unfortunately I never did :\'(. However from what I seen from gameplay footage on YouTube he definitely looks like a worthwhile addition to the game!

Then you didn't fully complete Super Mario Galaxy. You may have defeated all of the Bowser's throughout the game and saved Princess Peach, but my qualification of finishing a Mario game is completing all of the levels including the comets, and in order to unlock Luigi you have to fully complete all of the levels on Galaxy, which is insanely difficult with how long the game is with all those galaxies. I got stuck on a purple comet level, had it not been for that I would have unlocked Luigi and fully completed the game with Mario.

Also I agree, 64 & DS have yet to have been topped fundamentally on what they were able to achieve. Don't get me wrong I like all of the Mario Karts, but 64, DS, & (to a lesser extent) 8, are hands down the best when it comes to innovation and fun!

I don't think I asked, but what's your least favorite Mario Kart? Mine would probably be Double Dash, but I still though it was pretty fun. I just was never too fond of the double team mechanic

Super Circuit was hands down the one with the least afford put into the game. Just another version of Super Mario Kart with extra courses added to it which was a bust. It was boring as hell and glad I never got it. Really? Double Dash was one of the best Mario Kart games, and yes I do think it's overrated with the 2 folks in one kart, but other than that it's still an amazing game, not the best but still great. The addition of special items, the courses were amazing, the graphics were a huge upgrade from the previous two Mario Karts, and the multiplayer experience was still great. Double Dash would probably be #3 on my list not counting 7 or 8 since I haven't been into Mario anymore since this decade began. Mario Kart Wii is #4, and it's the last Mario Kart game I ever played. I don't care for Super Mario Kart and you already know my story on Super Circuit.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/16 at 7:44 pm

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite Mario game of all time, so that had to have been awesome expereincing it when it was new :D :D :D (I'm jealous)

It WAS awesome! In Super Mario Brothers 3 there were 8 worlds. My favorite one was 4. It was so exciting when I got to it since world 3 was a bit difficult and long in its time. *sigh* Fun times!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 7:49 pm

It WAS awesome! In Super Mario Brothers 3 there were 8 worlds. My favorite one was 4. It was so exciting when I got to it since world 3 was a bit difficult and long in its time. *sigh* Fun times!

World 7 on Super Mario Bros 3 was the most difficult for me.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/16 at 7:53 pm

World 7 on Super Mario Bros 3 was the most difficult for me.

I remember 7 it was called Pipe land! ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/12/16 at 8:08 pm

I remember 7 it was called Pipe land! ;D

Yeah, for some reason on almost all of the 2-D Mario platformers I've played World 7 was always the most difficult one for me of the entire game. Just take a look at the World 7 levels on the original Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, or New Super Mario Bros. It's even tougher than World 8 for me. The trickiest part about World 8 is avoiding the lava and pit holes, but other than that by the time World 8 comes you've become so skilled to the point where it goes by fast. World 8 in most of the Mario games have always been  fast for me, but World 7 I was always had to get LUCKY to beat a LUCKY 7 LEVEL ;D SEVEN took me FOREVER!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/12/16 at 8:31 pm

(leans back in rocking chair and lights pipe)

My family had an Atari C-380 Video Pinball console back in the 1970's.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/15f5cfe691599a10ad9ca9cf33f89ff9/tumblr_ntykhyjQXI1qjotzlo1_1280.jpg

You basically just set the whole console in your lap and played it like that. (It was roughly the same size as a PlayStation or Xbox.) You played the paddle games with the knob on the right side and the pinball games were played with the flipper buttons on each side. And no sound came through the TV, instead it came out of a speaker built into the console (which was the black area that says Video Pinball).

My older siblings played Breakout the most. Even though the system was introduced in 1977, it was still a quite challenging and fun game.

Unfortunately the console disappeared sometime in the 1980's. I kind of figured that it got packed away in my parents' garage somewhere, but a few years back they had a yard sale where they cleaned the garage out and I specifically asked them to keep an eye out for it but it never turned up.  :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/12/16 at 10:02 pm

I didn't get my first console until 1992 with the SNES, so pretty much all of my most formative gaming experiences came at my cousin's house on his NES. Like most little kids in the early '90s, I was a big time TMNT freak, so it's not really a huge surprise that the first game I can remember playing is this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281989_video_game%29.jpg

Good lord TMNT 1 was hard! Looking back, it's kind of amazing that I didn't just give up on video games altogether after having that demonic cartridge thrust upon me at such a young age. If you've ever watched the Angry Video Game Nerd review for this game, just take my word for it that it's every bit as frustrating as he says it is. >:(

As far as the first game I ever actually beat that would be:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Yeah, me and my cousin always used the warp whistles, but hey, like they say, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'. Even though I can't be exact, I'm pretty sure that we beat SMB3 for the first time, on two-player mode at least, when we were around 6-years-old or so. It was the first time I ever actually saw the credits roll on a video game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/10/16 at 6:43 pm

The first console game that I've possibly beaten was Pokemon Red on an emulator. I had a Venusaur as a starter, and I was pretty happy once I defeated Blue in the Pokemon League. lol

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/8/80/Red_EN_boxart.png/598px-Red_EN_boxart.png

Written By: Starlighter on 10/19/16 at 7:16 pm

The first game I ever played was Super Mario Bros.  The first game I beat was Donkey Kong for the NES.

Check for new replies or respond here...