inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your First Computer?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/17/16 at 11:58 pm

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore Amiga 500 that my older cousin let me have when he went off to college back in 1993.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Amiga500_system.jpg

It was already a few years old by the time I got it, but man that thing was an awesome gaming machine! When my cousin gave me the Amiga, he also let me have a whole cardboard box full of games, probably about 100 floppy disks in all, and it was amazing. I mean, I had Bionic Commando, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, all of it. Sadly, the old bird doesn't work anymore these days, but it certainly gave me more than it's fair share of good times back in the day.

Subject: Re: Your First Computer?

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:05 am

I didn't own a computer until around 2000. I used computers before 2000, but I never own anyone of them. Was kind of like this, but instead of Windows 2000 it had Windows '98.

http://www.tvfilmprops.co.uk/userdata/PRODPIC-473.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:07 am

I'm not as old school as you!  ;D. It was a PC made by NEC in 1997, running Windows 95. I loved playing Pinball, Pajama Sam, Jump Start First Grade, Freddi Fish and Putt Putt on it, and of course drawing houses or birthday parties on MS Paint. I also had a few floppy disk games for it that I borrowed from my friend, such as Frogger, and this game where you had to cross the street without dying (can't remember the name).

Those old PC games were pretty simple eh.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:09 am

It was some IBM my dad bought in late 1996. Looked sorta like this I think:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Ibm300pl.jpg

Had Windows 95 on it and everything. We used it until 2003-ish but by then I had my own computer in my room.

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:11 am

I'm not as old school as you!  ;D. It was a PC made by NEC in 1997, running Windows 95. I loved playing Pinball, Pajama Sam, Jump Start First Grade, Freddi Fish and Putt Putt on it, and of course drawing houses or birthday parties on MS Paint. I also had a few floppy disk games for it that I borrowed from my friend, such as Frogger, and this game where you had to cross the street without dying (can't remember the name).

Those old PC games were pretty simple eh.

My favorite PC game was Toonstruck back in 1996. It's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but reversed. You're a human artist/animator who gets sucked into the cartoon world. It was a point and click adventure game. I also had other point and click games like Grim Fandango and Blade Runner. Most of my games were mainly late 90's PC games.

Now 2000 was when I first got my own PC.  Before that I don't think my family even owned a PC that we would use on a daily basis. Plus I hated Dial up. So I didn't even bother with PCs as much.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:18 am

My favorite PC game was Toonstruck back in 1996. It's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but reversed. You're a human artist/animator who gets sucked into the cartoon world. It was a point and click adventure game. I also had other point and click games like Grim Fandango and Blade Runner. Most of my games were mainly late 90's PC games.

Now 2000 was when I first got my own PC.  Before that I don't think my family even owned a PC that we would use on a daily basis. Plus I hated Dial up. So I didn't even bother with PCs as much.

I loved Grim Fandango! I played it waay later though, like in 2012ish. Is Toonstruck any good? It sounds like the most amazing game ever made  :o

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:37 am

I loved Grim Fandango! I played it waay later though, like in 2012ish. Is Toonstruck any good? It sounds like the most amazing game ever made  :o

I like Toonstruck quite a lot. I first played the game 1996, but it wasn't until I bought it in 2001 where I'd fully complete it.
OIIXjulD3_w

If you ever get the free time then try to play it. What I like about the game is as you get sucked into the cartoon world you run into a lot of toon characters. Your sidekick throughout the entire game is one of your other character creations named "Flux". Drew (that main character) goes through a crazy adventure with his buddy Flux and they go on to stop Nefarious who plans to take of the toon world and even the human world.

Give it a try. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 8:50 am

I like Toonstruck quite a lot. I first played the game 1996, but it wasn't until I bought it in 2001 where I'd fully complete it.

If you ever get the free time then try to play it. What I like about the game is as you get sucked into the cartoon world you run into a lot of toon characters. Your sidekick throughout the entire game is one of your other character creations named "Flux". Drew (that main character) goes through a crazy adventure with his buddy Flux and they go on to stop Nefarious who plans to take of the toon world and even the human world.

Give it a try. ;)

Wow, looks awesome! I can't believe they hired that dude to do all the cutscenes. They must have had a big budget or they didn't pay him very well  ;D

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/18/16 at 9:13 am

Windows 3.1.
Used it until I got my parents Win 98 when they got XP.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 9:36 am

This Sony Vaio my family got in 2000. I vividly remember my parents trying to hook this computer up, installing the software which was Windows 98, and hooking it up to the internet which was mainly through dial up.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/jFQFG0x9oA2YFqFw4OLi2lUudYk=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2818216/01_pcv90.1391682323.jpg

I also remember playing this Blues Clues game a lot when I was 4/5 years old :D

http://www.cdaccess.com/jpg/shared/front/large/bluebday.jpg

Written By: Ripley on 02/18/16 at 9:40 am

I don't remember what kind it was.  But it was a white one.  1996?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 9:43 am

The first computer that I ever used was a Dell that my dad bought back in 2000. I started to use it back in 2003.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/18/16 at 11:26 am

http://www.cdaccess.com/jpg/shared/front/large/bluebday.jpg

I remember playing this game at my Grandma's house when I was little. In fact, I forgot almost all of the preschool CD-ROM games I played throughout my early childhood since it's been way too long ago. I've have to do long research for many of those to comeback to me.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/18/16 at 11:27 am

Windows 98, which our family had from 1998-2001.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 2:03 pm

I remember playing this game at my Grandma's house when I was little. In fact, I forgot almost all of the preschool CD-ROM games I played throughout my early childhood since it's been way too long ago. I've have to do long research for many of those to comeback to me.

Yeah this game was pretty fun as a kid, and being a big Blues Clues fan definitely helped ;D

Windows 98, which our family had from 1998-2001.

Yeah the computer I showed came with 98', however we updated to XP in 03'.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/16 at 3:36 pm

http://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/old-pc-windows-95.jpg
Windows 95

Written By: nally on 02/19/16 at 1:40 pm

First one we ever had in our household was a Mac Performa, which we acquired on my birthday in 1993. It became obsolete rather quickly.

Check for new replies or respond here...