inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coldplay

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/23/16 at 6:59 pm

Coldplay is one of my favorite bands. I think Coldplay albums, like U2 albums, are like James Bond movies: Whichever one you came of age with determines how you view the others. As for me, my Coldplay album was Mylo Xyloto, which came out in my sophomore year of high school. I love this album. While I didn't care too much for it when it was new in 2011 and 2012, I really enjoyed the singles. The optimistic production of the lead single "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" is so invigorating. "Paradise" is one of their modern classics, and for good reason. It's euphoric lyrics and instrumentation provide one heck of an interesting listening experience. "Princess of China", which features Rihanna, was somewhat controversial, but I enjoyed the high-strung vibes that the song gave off as it makes the lyrics feel more urgent. These were the three biggest hits off the album. I didn't get the full album until 2013. This was probably the last Coldplay album that longtime Coldplay fans liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMhvkC3A84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4isv_Fylg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uw6ZkbsAH8
Hands down my favorite music videos from the band!

This active first experience with Coldplay has clearly made me biased. I do not like X&Y, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, or even their critically acclaimed A Rush of Blood to the Head. While I really enjoy Parachutes (their best album IMO), my impressionability with MX has obviously affected my taste in how Coldplay albums should be made. I actually found Ghost Stories really private and engaging - "Magic" might be my favorite Coldplay song yet, and "Midnight" was a slice of experimental brilliance. I was flabbergasted that many longtime fans hated the album - I actually thought it was their most intimate one! Though I can understand the criticism of "A Sky Full of Stars" (I really don't like that song), the rest of the album was just magnificent. It totally appeals to me. I didn't buy it when it came out in 2014, but I got it the following year.

A Head Full of Dreams is a pretty clear spinoff of the GS single title "A Sky Full of Stars", and is also a take on Chris Martin's personality and his view of the world (he uses the excuse that he's a Pisces, which are characterized as dreamers who have a tough time living in reality and are sensitive and emotional people). To be honest, aside from "Adventure of a Lifetime" and "Hymn for the Weekend", this album is pretty underwhelming.. I thought the album would go out in a bang, because it is their last album and henceforth I believed they would make the finest album of their careers. But the end result was what is probably their worst album they have ever made. It's not abysmal, but the end product feels so unfinished and largely uninspired. There are a few songs that may grow on me, but overall I wouldn't recommend buying this album. The first two singles are really good: "Adventure of a Lifetime" is a whimsical dance-rock song that you can get moving to in the club, while "Hymn for the Weekend" is a quirky alternative R&B and indie rock song. They strayed away from the surreal charm that made me fall in love with them in the first place, but it seems like they're trying to capture the same audience that they did with Mylo. It's sad to say this Coldplay; but all around, we aren't impressed.

So for you guys, which would you say is "your Coldplay album"? The one that influenced you the most and caught your attention at just the right time, and was the basis of how you judged the other albums? I'm pretty positive that people my age are going to reflect my personal views of the band, but it's interesting to hear of the different experiences of their music and how each album sits differently with other people. Now, it's time to hear your input, with as little interference from me as possible!

Subject: Re: Coldplay

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 2:17 pm

After hearing Coldplay at the closing ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics, when they sang 10 songs if there's in a row, I felt their songs are and sound the same. Gave me a headache too.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/24/16 at 8:26 pm

After hearing Coldplay at the closing ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics, when they sang 10 songs if there's in a row, I felt their songs are and sound the same. Gave me a headache too.

Frankly, their aughts stuff isn't too different from each other. Their Parachutes albinos an exception. Since Mylo Xyloto though they've made a point to do something different every time and now they sound more distinct, which I like. Other than that, it's your age speaking. :E

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/16 at 3:16 am

Frankly, their aughts stuff isn't too different from each other. Their Parachutes albinos an exception. Since Mylo Xyloto though they've made a point to do something different every time and now they sound more distinct, which I like. Other than that, it's your age speaking. :E
Too true.

Written By: nally on 02/29/16 at 11:51 pm

"Trouble" is my personal favourite of theirs.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/12/16 at 7:39 am

I kind of wish they weren't retiring after this. I would like to hear a better album to end their careers. Maybe A Head Full of Dreams will grow on me..

Written By: Katluver on 03/14/16 at 4:10 pm

They're not a bad group.  Some great tunes.  I think "The Scientist," is my favorite of theirs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 5:30 pm

Coldplay are such a Marmite band that 1 in 5 people would prefer to watch an actual £10 note burn before spending it on their latest album.

This is according to new research commissioned by Ticketbis, who played a game of Would You Rather with 1000 Brits, after the band led by Chris Martin were announced as performing at Glastonbury 2016 – marking their fourth time as headliners.

Bristol (32%) and Norwich (31%) had the highest proportion of people who would rather set a £10 note on fire than buy Coldplay’s new album A Head Full Of Dreams.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/14/1-in-5-people-would-rather-set-a-10-note-on-fire-than-buy-coldplays-latest-album-5751709/#ixzz42v39dirk

Check for new replies or respond here...