inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Regarding decade kids discussions

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/25/16 at 8:59 pm

2010s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #90s kids", "90s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 90s", "Anyone born in the 90s, please look at these 90s pictures"
2020s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #00s kids", "00s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 00s", "Anyone born in the 00s, please look at these 00s pictures"
2030s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #10s kids", "10s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 10s", "Anyone born in the 10s, please look at these 10s pictures"

Do you see the problem? People scream for trying to go back to these decades, especially the same decade they were born in and they actually remember almost nothing or have vague memories, but try to claim these decades as theirs. This usually happens 20 years after the decade. They already like to mess around with the 90s. This has gone to the point where actual 90s kids (born between 1983-1992) have been saying that these crazy "90s kids" are ruining their childhood. I hope they don't go to do the same thing to the 00s/10s in the 20s/30s.

Subject: Re: Regarding decade kids discussions

Written By: 2001 on 02/25/16 at 9:09 pm

Sharing nostalgia is fine, it's just bashing other kids that's the problem.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/25/16 at 10:00 pm

Late decade babies and very early decade babies are the worst when it comes to insert decade kid discussions.

These threads are getting a bit repetitive. Sorry for my opinion.

Written By: Toon on 02/25/16 at 10:14 pm

Late decade babies and very early decade babies are the worst when it comes to insert decade kid discussions.
These threads are getting a bit repetitive. Sorry for my opinion.

Yeah. They are getting a bit repetitive. This could've been posted in one of the other threads. Anyways Late/Early decade babies are usually the worst when it comes things like this.

When speaking directly to the topic I wish the whole decade kid thing would die. It really ruins the decades for me to the point where I get annoyed by just seeing it mentioned at times.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/25/16 at 11:38 pm

I'm personally amazed by how specific people get when trying to define their childhoods.  I never knew I'd ever even see phrases like "cusp-late-core childhood years" or "late Y/early Z cusp kids."  It's one thing to discuss how popular culture as a whole evolves throughout the course of history, but framing eras in terms of your childhood just crosses a whole new realm of subjectivity.  You are whatever you call yourself, and you shouldn't have to typecast others simply based on when they were born.

Written By: Toon on 02/26/16 at 1:30 pm

I just wish the whole "90s kid" thing dies (which it will soon enough). And I don't want to see any "00s kid" trend either (but it's too late for that as the 90skid internet trend also started the 00s kid trend).

This has gone to the point where actual 90s kids (born between 1983-1992) have been saying that these crazy "90s kids" are ruining their childhood.

I've seen 1989-1991/2 born acting crazy about the 1990s as well. Even the actual 90s kids ruin the decade for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 9:43 am

As much as I'm disappointed with today's culture, I'm not really gonna bash it during the 2020s. I'm just going to enjoy my nostalgia, since I was struggling to argue against 90s kids on the Internet whether or not the 2000s are nostalgic. It got me kicked out of some boards (e.g. IGN), since I was religious towards the whole thing.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/27/16 at 10:08 am

I just wish the whole "90s kid" thing dies (which it will soon enough). And I don't want to see any "00s kid" trend either (but it's too late for that as the 90skid internet trend also started the 00s kid trend).

I've seen 1989-1991/2 born acting crazy about the 1990s as well. Even the actual 90s kids ruin the decade for me.

Oh it will. It's not cool if we have people over 30 mentally living in the 90's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 10:27 am

Oh it will. It's not cool if we have people over 30 mentally living in the 90's.

Well, we do have JordanK1982 who's about 33.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 10:36 am

He's physically living the 90s  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 10:55 am

And early 2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 11:52 am

That's why my Internet's so slow.

And early 2000s.

2000, 2001 and 2002 for lyfe. I've been trying to get back to the 80's but so far my plan isn't working.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 12:15 pm

I wish 90s kids on the Internet can get that, but they'll rather believe they're superior compared to other generations.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 1:52 pm

That's why my Internet's so slow.
2000, 2001 and 2002 for lyfe. I've been trying to get back to the 80's but so far my plan isn't working.

Mate, get off that dial up!  8) Switch to broadband like everyone else.

Too late for that 80's comeback. Maybe if we were still in the '00s (where '80s nostalgia trends were huge) then maybe you'd have a better chance.

HA! I can see the trend dying off soon.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 1:54 pm

The 80s are way too cheesey for a revival  ;D With the 90s revival you even got little kids and teenagers into it because the 90s were always seen as cool.  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 1:55 pm

Mate, get off that dial up!  8) Switch to broadband like everyone else.

Too late for that 80's comeback. Maybe if we were still in the '00s (where '80s nostalgia trends were huge) then maybe you'd have a better chance.

Dial-Up is the superior way to connect to the web. 8)

80's nostalgia in the 00's was poorly done. I'm gonna bring it back the right way!

The 80s are way too cheesey for a revival  ;D With the 90s revival you even got little kids and teenagers into it because the 90s were always seen as cool.  :P

Not as cool as the 80's, though.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 1:58 pm

80's nostalgia in the 00's was poorly done. I'm gonna bring it back the right way!

I mean people around my age/younger, and those people born after 2000. The 80s are not seen as cool, sorry :P

The same way you see the disco 70s is the same way people my age see the big-hair 80s.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 2:04 pm

I mean people around my age/younger, and those people born after 2000. The 80s are not seen as cool, sorry :P

The same way you see the disco 70s is the same way people my age see the big-hair 80s.  ;D

Well, who cares about those people? They aren't important.

Hey, who said I didn't like the 70's?

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:06 pm

Well, who cares about those people? They aren't important.

You don't think those bell-bottom jeans and permed hair is super cheesey?  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 2:07 pm

You don't think those bell-bottom jeans and permed hair is super cheesey?  ;D

Better than skinny jeans and pompadours. :P

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:09 pm

You did a while back.

I love the 70's so much.

Undeniable proof right here.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:10 pm

Better than skinny jeans and pompadours. :P

2010s are classy, not cheesey.  8)

Written By: cool123 on 02/27/16 at 2:10 pm

Ok first off you can't redo 80s nostalgia. The 80s had it's time in the 2000s/early 2010s now it's all about 90s nostalgia which I personally cannot stand. Second, dial up sucks I get that your nostalgic for the Y2K era but it wasn't all that great. It is was actually really cheesy and corny, don't get me wrong the Y2K era had many wonderful things but it isn't as great as you think it is. No offense.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 2:13 pm

You did a while back.

Undeniable proof right here.  8)

Huh? That quote (which you edited, I might add since I didn't say that) says I "love" the 70's. I don't get it. The 70's are cool but the 80's were better.

2010s are classy, not cheesey.  8)

The 2010s: when all the turds came to life and started walking around.

In 10 years we will look back and say "Hh, god! This is awful!"

Ok first off you can't redo 80s nostalgia. The 80s had it's time in the 2000s/early 2010s now it's all about 90s nostalgia which I personally cannot stand. Second, dial up sucks I get that your nostalgic for the Y2K era but it wasn't all that great. It is was actually really cheesy and corny, don't get me wrong the Y2K era had many wonderful things but it isn't as great as you think it is. No offense.

http://i.imgur.com/9nohQh4.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:13 pm

Damn. I would have guessed that 2000s babies were indifferent to the 90s, but I guess the 90s kids really did sour the decade ;D I shouldn't be surprised...

Written By: cool123 on 02/27/16 at 2:17 pm

http://i.imgur.com/9nohQh4.jpg

How dare you!!! I'm not saying the Y2K era sucks. I just don't think it's as great as you do.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:21 pm

Huh? That quote (which you edited, I might add since I didn't say that) says I "love" the 70's. I don't get it. The 70's are cool but the 80's were better.

Fine ya caught me.  :(

Also when discussing this topic I'm curious on how 70's kids felt about the '80s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 2:22 pm

How dare you!!! I'm not saying the Y2K era sucks. I just don't think it's as great as you do.

;D ;D ;D

It's cool, man. We're all entitled to different opinions. I think the 80's are better than the Y2K era, anyway.

Also when discussing this topic I'm curious on how 70's kids felt about the '80s.

Ha! Red handed!

Yeah, that would be interesting to know.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:23 pm

Damn. I would have guessed that 2000s babies were indifferent to the 90s, but I guess the 90s kids really did sour the decade ;D I shouldn't be surprised...

I always thought 2000s babies were indifferent towards the 1990s. But yeah 90s kids pretty much ruined that decade.

Written By: cool123 on 02/27/16 at 2:24 pm

;D ;D ;D

It's cool, man. We're all entitled to different opinions. I think the 80's are better than the Y2K era, anyway.

The 80s better than the Y2K era. hahhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 2:26 pm

The 80s better than the Y2K era. hahhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Uhh... ???

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:30 pm

2010s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #90s kids", "90s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 90s", "Anyone born in the 90s, please look at these 90s pictures"
2020s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #00s kids", "00s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 00s", "Anyone born in the 00s, please look at these 00s pictures"
2030s: "If you don't remember this, then your childhood sucks #10s kids", "10s kids will remember this and how they miss them", "The present is boring, let's go back to the 10s", "Anyone born in the 10s, please look at these 10s pictures"

"If it's modern then it sucks".

Something that everyone with their nostalgia goggles one will tell you. Once that modern thing is no longer modern then it all of a sudden becomes cool. I swear people with that mentality piss me off. Also if I see this decade kid trend in the 2030s I may literally start to go into a crazy rage. The whole decade kid thing just ruins the respective decades. I can dig the '80s kid trend not getting out of hand as badly. But the 90s kid trend is why I can't seem to care for the 1990s anymore. For example you'd see some thread on the internet that consists of some 90s kid making fun of 00s kids. The fact that the 90s kid literally took the time out of his day to make a thread that just consists of making fun of people he/she doesn't know or have any relations to is just sad. And then you get to the real issue of 25 year olds making fun of 15 year olds. Or arguing with 15 year olds. For reasons that can easily be seen as petty.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:32 pm

My mom is a 70s kid, and she was an 80s teen/young adult. She loves it, but I don't think she was ever big into pop culture, so I'm still pretty ignorant about the 80s lol.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:32 pm

While I do agree that the 90s were cool, I don't think the 80s are too cheesy for a revival. Personally, I think the 2010s are much cheesier than the 80s, though it's very possible that they could experience a revival in the 2030s or 2040s. Almost any decade could be revived.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:34 pm

I obviously have the spirit of an older person  :P

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:44 pm

"If it's modern then it sucks".

Something that everyone with their nostalgia goggles one will tell you. Once that modern thing is no longer modern then it all of a sudden becomes cool. I swear people with that mentality piss me off. Also if I see this decade kid trend in the 2030s I may literally start to go into a crazy rage. The whole decade kid thing just ruins the respective decades. I can dig the '80s kid trend not getting out of hand as badly. But the 90s kid trend is why I can't seem to care for the 1990s anymore. For example you'd see some thread on the internet that consists of some 90s kid making fun of 00s kids. The fact that the 90s kid literally took the time out of his day to make a thread that just consists of making fun of people he/she doesn't know or have any relations to is just sad. And then you get to the real issue of 25 year olds making fun of 15 year olds. Or arguing with 15 year olds. For reasons that can easily be seen as petty.

While automatically criticizing anything that's modern is ignorant, there are some valid arguments as to why the 2010s are a less than ideal decade. So for me, I don't hate anything modern, I just hate the 2010s. If the 2020s turn out to be a more enjoyable and balanced decade then I'll fully acknowledge it.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:45 pm

I obviously have the spirit of an older person  :P

You've got the Spirit of 1990  :D

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:46 pm

My mom is a 70s kid, and she was an 80s teen/young adult. She loves it, but I don't think she was ever big into pop culture, so I'm still pretty ignorant about the 80s lol.

I gotta start asking some people on their view of the 70s. As of 2016 I've mostly been seeing the '80s onward getting brought up by people.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 2:49 pm

I gotta start asking some people on their view of the 70s. As of 2016 I've mostly been seeing the '80s onward getting brought up by people.

You should probably ask your parents. My dad is the biggest 70s fanboy ever.  ;D He's like Jordan, except he hates everything after 1980 (but not the year 1980 itself)

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:52 pm

While automatically criticizing anything that's modern is ignorant, there are some valid arguments as to why the 2010s are a less than ideal decade. So for me, I don't hate anything modern, I just hate the 2010s. If the 2020s turn out to be a more enjoyable and balanced decade then I'll fully acknowledge it.

Even I have some issues with the 2010s, but it's not due to it being modern. And I've stated before on how there are 2010s things that I like. But most people just tend to hate things due to it being modern which to me is very confusing. It can be this decade, last decade, or even the next decade. Whatever moment is modern then it's going to get criticism just because it's the "current thing".

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 2:54 pm

You should probably ask your parents. My dad is the biggest 70s fanboy ever.  ;D He's like Jordan, except he hates everything after 1980 (but not the year 1980 itself)

I might also ask my grandparents who were teens/adults in the 70s. Wonder how they felt about the decade. I know my grandpa didn't like anything from 1978 onward while my Grandma hated everything from 1982 onward.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:55 pm

You've got the Spirit of 1990  :D

Yes, because as our friend TheEarly90sGuy has informed us, 1990 was the peak of 90s culture  :D

New Kids On The Block, TMNT, Vanilla Ice, Super Mario Brothers 3.

Totally 90s!

Oddly enough, I was born in 1993, which was the start of late 90s trends (according to our buddy), so I am partially a late 90s baby  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:58 pm

Even I have some issues with the 2010s, but it's not due to it being modern. And I've stated before on how there are 2010s things that I like. But most people just tend to hate things due to it being modern which to me is very confusing. It can be this decade, last decade, or even the next decade. Whatever moment is modern then it's going to get criticism just because it's the "current thing".

Oh okay, I get what you're saying. Trust me, if I genuinely like something, I don't care what decade it's from. It's just that there isn't a lot that I like at the moment.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 3:00 pm

I might also ask my grandparents who were teens/adults in the 70s. Wonder how they felt about the decade. I know my grandpa didn't like anything from 1978 onward while my Grandma hated everything from 1982 onward.

Woah, your parents must've had you young! My grandparents were 30s/40s/50s teens  :o I am not sure when they started hating pop culture.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 3:39 pm

Woah, your parents must've had you young! My grandparents were 30s/40s/50s teens  :o I am not sure when they started hating pop culture.

You gotta love that teen pregnancy.  ;) 

Oh okay, I get what you're saying. Trust me, if I genuinely like something, I don't care what decade it's from. It's just that there isn't a lot that I like at the moment.

Understandable. Not liking the 2010s due to legitimate reasons is completely fine. I have nothing against that. It's certainly better than not liking things due to it being the modern thing. And then after 5-6 years you'd for some inexplicable reason all of a sudden decide that the thing you hated on before is now good compared to the "new-modern" thing. I've seen people who have act this way and I'll never understand it.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/16 at 6:27 pm

I'm 42 and I live in the 80's.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/27/16 at 6:33 pm

Sounds like my kind of dad. Don McLean got it wrong, the day the music died was not when Buddy Holly,
The Big Bopper ans Ritchie Valens died in the plane crash. There was plenty of great music written and
performed after that. No, the day the music died was August 1, 1981, and the murderer was MTv.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/27/16 at 7:30 pm

::) ;D  Howard, you just won't let it go! ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 8:37 pm

Sounds like my kind of dad. Don McLean got it wrong, the day the music died was not when Buddy Holly,
The Big Bopper ans Ritchie Valens died in the plane crash. There was plenty of great music written and
performed after that. No, the day the music died was August 1, 1981, and the murderer was MTv.

So, I guess video killed the radio star.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/27/16 at 9:00 pm

Decadology isn't okay.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 10:24 pm

Have I told you about my grandpa? He thinks society tanked in 1980 and we've been stuck in that year ever since. Literally. He thinks New Wave and Gary Numan are still big trends.

You gotta love that teen pregnancy.  ;) 

:o :o

Were your parent's like... 15 when they had you!?!?

Howard, you wanna take me from the 90's and bring me into the 80's? I'd like to go back the the GOAT's years.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/16 at 3:23 pm

::) ;D  Howard, you just won't let it go! ;)

Sorry I'll let it go. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...