inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Years that changed history forever!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/16 at 11:06 pm

I'll start with an easy one. 1964, The Civil Rights Movement. The Beatles affected music forever. The real beginning of the 1960's. Gulf of Tonkin. Fashion started to become more liberal (not politically).

You?

Subject: Re: Years that changed history forever!

Written By: 2001 on 02/25/16 at 11:20 pm

1933: Prohibition ends! The Great Depression reaches its peak with unemployment at 25%. Franklin D Roosevelt becomes President. New Deal goes into effect. Nazi rises to power, who dissolve and set the Reichstag on fire. Start of the second Sino-Japanese war.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/25/16 at 11:31 pm

1945:  World War II ends, putting a definitive end to fascism as a globally accepted political philosophy and giving birth to the civil rights movement.

1968:  The assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy put a serious damper on the civil rights movement, Nixon is elected President of the United States, and the Tet Offensive sours the course of the rest of the Vietnam War.

1989:  The Berlin Wall collapses, signifying the end of the Communism as a dominated political ideology and officiating capitalism as the standard framework of international government.

2001:  9/11 wrecks the American sense of invincibility that had developed since the end of the Cold War.  Wikipedia is launched for the first time.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/16 at 11:44 pm

1933: Prohibition ends! The Great Depression reaches its peak with unemployment at 25%. Franklin D Roosevelt becomes President. New Deal goes into effect. Nazi rises to power, who dissolve and set the Reichstag on fire. Start of the second Sino-Japanese war.

Good one!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/16 at 11:45 pm

1945:  World War II ends, putting a definitive end to fascism as a globally accepted political philosophy and giving birth to the civil rights movement.

1968:  The assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy put a serious damper on the civil rights movement, Nixon is elected President of the United States, and the Tet Offensive sours the course of the rest of the Vietnam War.

1989:  The Berlin Wall collapses, signifying the end of the Communism as a dominated political ideology and officiating capitalism as the standard framework of international government.

2001:  9/11 wrecks the American sense of invincibility that had developed since the end of the Cold War.  Wikipedia is launched for the first time.

Damn, you know how to party!

2001 was also when we went into a small recession and iPods were created.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/16 at 11:47 pm

Oh, just to clarify, it can be before 1900 also, or BC, I don't care.

1500s, 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, all are welcome!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/26/16 at 1:50 pm

A few years not yet mentioned:

1865: The Civil War ends. Abraham Lincoln is assassinated. The 13th Amendment officially abolishes slavery in the United States.

1876: America celebrates it's centennial. The telephone is invented. Edison begins to put the finishing touches on the first phonograph. Rutherford B. Hayes steals the presidential election by cutting a deal which ends Reconstruction in the South, thus beginning 90 years oppressive Jim Crow laws.

1901: The Texas Oil Boom begins. Queen Victoria of the U.K. dies, U.S. President William McKinley is assassinated, which leads to the swearing in of his trust-busting Vice President Theodore Roosevelt.

1919: The Treaty of Versailles is ratified after the end of World War I. The 18th Amendment (starting Prohibition in the U.S.) is officially ratified by the States, while the 19th Amendment (granting Women the right to vote) is passed by the Congress and sent to the States for ratification. U.S. President Woodrow Wilson suffers a stroke, ending hopes of America joining the League of Nations.

1941: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union. Franklin Delano Roosevelt beings his unprecedented 3rd terms as President of the United States. Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, officially ushering the U.S. into World War II.

1961: John F. Kennedy takes office as U.S. President. The Bay of Pigs fails miserably to overthrow the Castro regime in Cuba. The Berlin Wall is erected. Alan Shepard becomes the first American to travel in space.

1963: Civil Rights leader Medgar Evers is killed. JFK announces Civil Rights Bill. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers the "I Have a Dream" speech during the March on Washington. Bob Dylan releases "Bowin' in the Wind". JFK is assassinated in Dallas.

1980: Ronald Reagan is elected President of the United States. John Lennon is assassinated. CNN helps kick-off the cable TV revolution.

1991: The Soviet Union collapses, officially ending the Cold War. The first Gulf War begins an era of increasing U.S. focus on the Middle East. Nirvana finally brings "Alternative Rock" into the mainstream. Tim Berners-Lee announces his World Wide Web project to the public.

1999: Bill Clinton is acquitted by the U.S. Senate at the end of his impeachment trail, finally ending the Monica Lewinsky drama. The Columbine shooting forever changes life for American schoolchildren, ushering in our current age of "zero tolerance" policies. Everybody freaks out over the "Y2K problem", but nothing actually happens on New Years Even 1999.

2005: YouTube launches, changing the way we use the internet forever, and officially ending the Web 1.0 era. The release of the PSP, and later of the 5th gen "iPod video", bring the concept of portable video to the masses. Hurricane Katrina decimates New Orleans.

2008: The 2000's energy crisis reaches it's worst point, with the return of gas lines that summer as prices top $4.50 a gallon or more in some areas. The economic collapse occurs. Barack Obama is elected President of the United States.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/16 at 2:56 pm

Oh, just to clarify, it can be before 1900 also, or BC, I don't care.

1500s, 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, all are welcome!

I will definitely say 2001.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/26/16 at 10:36 pm

Even though Wikipedia wasn't popular until the mid 2000s, I suppose it changed the Internet with information back then.

Written By: Toon on 02/26/16 at 10:43 pm

1759 - Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity. Or rather he discovered that lighting was electrical

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/27/16 at 12:00 am

Going off the top of my head!'
1941 1945 1963 1968 1974 1980 1989 2001 2008
I hope 2016 is going to be a legendary year! :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 9:36 am

1759 - Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity. Or rather he discovered that lighting was electrical

I suppose that's right.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 6:51 pm

I will definitely say 2001.

It's the millennium!  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 6:53 pm

I discovered air.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 6:53 pm

Going off the top of my head!'
1941 1945 1963 1968 1974 1980 1989 2001 2008
I hope 2016 is going to be a legendary year! :o

The world population reached 4 billion in 1974 too.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 6:54 pm

Even though Wikipedia wasn't popular until the mid 2000s, I suppose it changed the Internet with information back then.

When did Wikipedia become popular?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/27/16 at 7:20 pm

I can't think of any 90s year that ''changed the world'', MAYBE 1999.

Written By: The Burger King on 02/27/16 at 7:35 pm

Here are more:

732 AD? (Battle of Tours), 1776 (US independence), 1783 (end of the revolutionary war) 1860 (SC seceding), 1929 (Great Depression), 1955 (the Rosa Parks bus incident), 1959 (deaths of Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Buddy Holly), 1964 (Civil Rights Act, British Invasion), 1993? (WTC bombing), 1997? (Princess Diana dying), 2003 (Iraq War), 2011 (Osama Bin Laden dying)

? = debatable

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 7:52 pm

2005 iirc.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 8:32 pm

I discovered air.

2016 - Millennium Mansion 07 discovered air

The world hasn't been the same since.  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 8:36 pm

I discovered air.

lol

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 9:06 pm

All of these are animation related

1908 - Fantasmagorie is first ever animated cartoon to be released

1919 - Felix the Cat is introduced.  Felix was the first character from animation to attain a level of popularity sufficient to draw movie audiences

1923 - The Walt Disney Company is founded

1928 - Steamboat Willie debuts. Sound cartoons are introduced and we enter the Golden Age of Animation.

1930 - First year of the Looney tunes

1931 - First year of the Merrie Melodies

1932 - The Silly Symphonies short titled "Flowers and Trees" is the first technicolor cartoon

1937 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is released and it's the first ever animation movie

1940 - Tex Avery releases the first ever Bugs Bunny cartoon  (Bugs Bunny is actually from the 1930s, but he didn't have the design or the name "Bugs Bunny" at the time). Tom and Jerry debuts.

1942 - Chuck Jones creates the Dover Boys short. Which is one of the earliest examples of "Limited animation". Which is where the characters don't move as fluid. This is a big thing due to companies learning this style of animation and using it to create stylized cartoons or to produce cartoons with cheap budgets.

1943 - UPA (United Productions of America) is founded and one of the main reasons on why simple/stylized animation became popular among animators/companies.

1957 - Hannah Barbara is created

1960 - Television animation becomes big and its the debut of Saturday Morning Cartoons. We enter the Dark age of animation.

1988 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit is released and puts animation back into popularity

1989 - We enter the Animation Renaissance of Disney and Animation as Disney releases the Little Mermaid

2009 -  Revival age of Disney begins

Tried my best to mention things that had a big effect on animation over the years. There are tons of other things I'm missing, though.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 9:30 pm

2005 iirc.

iirc?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 9:31 pm

2016 - Millennium Mansion 07 discovered air

The world hasn't been the same since.  8)

You have permission to exhale now.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/16 at 9:32 pm

lol

:.ducks:.

Written By: Toon on 02/27/16 at 10:12 pm

I can't think of any 90s year that ''changed the world'', MAYBE 1999.

All I can think is 1995 due to Internet Explorer being released to the public, but that's just Internet Explorer. The Internet really been around before the 1990s if I'm correct.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 11:16 pm

iirc?

*if I remember correctly. Sorry about that.

1991 is a pretty changeful year as Infinity has pointed out.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/28/16 at 3:02 am

1960 - Television animation becomes big and its the debut of Saturday Morning Cartoons. We enter the Dark age of animation.

I'm not sure if I agree with 1960 being the start of the dark age of animation; I think that trend began more with the late 60s, after Walt Disney had died and Hannah Barbara was out of its golden age.

Tried my best to mention things that had a big effect on animation over the years. There are tons of other things I'm missing, though.

Here are a few more:

1932 - Disney releases the Silly Symphonies short, Flowers and Trees, the first fully colorized cartoon to be commercially released.

1961 - Disney releases One Hundred and One Dalmatians, the first animated film to use xerography, which drastically improves the efficiency of animated moviemaking for several years to come.

1995 - Pixar releases Toy Story, the first fully CGI animated movie, setting a precedent that would come to completely swallow up traditional animation within a decade.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/16 at 3:12 pm

probably around 2004-2005

Written By: Toon on 02/28/16 at 9:48 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with 1960 being the start of the dark age of animation; I think that trend began more with the late 60s, after Walt Disney had died and Hannah Barbara was out of its golden age.

1960 being the start of the dark age is a bit iffy to me as well. In most cases the dark of animation is said to start in the "1960s" without ever giving a specific date. So it's up to opinion, but after Walt's death would be understandable. He died in 1966. So around that time would work well.

Here are a few more:

1932 - Disney releases the Silly Symphonies short, Flowers and Trees, the first fully colorized cartoon to be commercially released.

1961 - Disney releases One Hundred and One Dalmatians, the first animated film to use xerography, which drastically improves the efficiency of animated moviemaking for several years to come.

1995 - Pixar releases Toy Story, the first fully CGI animated movie, setting a precedent that would come to completely swallow up traditional animation within a decade.

Awesome. I already mentioned the Flower and Trees being in full color. Although I worded it differently. The other two are good additions. Makes me curious on how I forgot about Toy Story in 1995 and 100 an 1 Dalmatians in 1961.

1990 - The Rescuers Down Under is the first Disney movie to not use cel animation. The movie was creating using Disney's CAPS process. The CAPS process is where Disney would draw the images, but instead of using cels they'd color them with a computer.

1997 - Flash Animation becomes more popular as John Kricfalusi (creator of Ren & Stimpy) uses it to make The Goddamn George Liquor Program which is cited as the first big Flash created cartoon.

2000 - Disney's Renaissance ends and they enter their Post-Renaissance with their first movie being Dinosaurs

2001 - Disney airs the House of Mouse cartoon series which was created to celebrate Walt Disney's 100th birthday

2003 - Disney announces that they're going to stop doing 2D animated films in order to focus on 3D animated films.

2004 - Disney's Home on the Rangeis their last 2D animated movie until Princess and the and the Frog at the start their next Renaissance.

2013 - Disney releases Frozen which meets great success both critically and commercially. It becomes the highest grossing movie both when compared to all of Disney's other movies and animated movies as a whole.

Also here's a cool picture of all the Disney Revival/Neo-Renaissance era characters as of 2016.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/0/0a/Spring16_Cover_media_Low-0.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160217214818

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/29/16 at 12:36 am

This.

Written By: Toon on 02/29/16 at 1:21 pm

Turns out it''s a bit different for both Disney and the Animation Industry. When it comes to Disney it starts sometime in the late '60s. When it comes to the rest of the industry it starts in the late '50s - early '60s. But different websites are giving different year spans.

Check for new replies or respond here...