inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why some people are confused on generations

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/02/16 at 1:47 am

So, I've been reading articles and information about generations lately and some people are not sure which generation they're associated with. One of the reasons is that they're too focused on the technology portion and not other aspects. One thing for sure is that every generation before Millennials were not even defined by technology. Instead, it was their characteristics, events, pop culture and miscellaneous.

For example, Boomers were clearly defined by Vietnam War, JFK, Civil rights movement, and Woodstock. Their traits would be former hippies, free love, and entitlement (though not all are like that)

We need to stop using technology as a factor to determine generations as the feature doesn't work at all. It's better use the connection regarding the terms I said.

How do you guys feel about this?

Subject: Re: Why some people are confused on generations

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/16 at 5:57 pm

Here's why I don't care

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dB_J4JBuadw/Unfw3OZQSNI/AAAAAAAABeg/kqmJwD3Vnp4/s1600/Life321.png

http://img.picturequotes.com/2/5/4258/be-who-you-want-to-be-quote-1.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 04/02/16 at 6:51 pm

Why people are confused on generations? Because so many people have many arbitrary opinions and theories on when generations start/end and how they are. It's really simple as that. Anyways, snozberries up there has the best idea. After a while.....

http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/4d/1f/4d1fd387de3dc0c882b10292a3cc1cbd.png

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/02/16 at 6:57 pm

Why people are confused on generations? Because so many people have many arbitrary opinions and theories on when generations start/end and how they are. It's really simple as that. Anyways, snozberries up there has the best idea. After a while.....

http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/4d/1f/4d1fd387de3dc0c882b10292a3cc1cbd.png

I even hear a lot of people arguing over when each generation starts and ends and what the names should be. Like for example, Person A says that one generation starts in 1980 and ends at 1995, while Person B says that same generation starts in 1983 and ends in 2000. Those arguments never stop.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/16 at 7:23 pm

So, I've been reading articles and information about generations lately and some people are not sure which generation they're associated with. One of the reasons is that they're too focused on the technology portion and not other aspects. One thing for sure is that every generation before Millennials were not even defined by technology. Instead, it was their characteristics, events, pop culture and miscellaneous.

I guess because the Millennial generation was when technology was booming fast. Especially during the 90s, 2000s, and even the 2010s. You also had the birth and golden ages of the Internet (although I wouldn't say the 2010s are a great decade for Internet culture). Before all of that stuff, you had technology from either the 1950s-1980s during the mid 20th century. The 1990s-2010s were way different, since you had technology that seemed like a fantasy back then. Of course, the 90s and 2000s isn't recent nor had stunning technology compared to the 2010s. However, without them, we wouldn't really have the modern technology we use every day. I know that I don't like the 2010s in general, but it seems similar technological-wise.

For example, Boomers were clearly defined by Vietnam War, JFK, Civil rights movement, and Woodstock. Their traits would be former hippies, free love, and entitlement (though not all are like that)

Well, Millennials were defined by Iraq War, 9/11, Clinton's presidency, iPods, etc. Their traits would mostly be liberalism, hipsters, and equality. I'm sure Boomers treated other people with equality, but most Millennials would learn on how people of other races should be treated respectfully.

We need to stop using technology as a factor to determine generations as the feature doesn't work at all. It's better use the connection regarding the terms I said.

Well... the people who made those articles don't study so much about the decade's pop culture, unlike us. They probably looked at while Millennials did and put that as their main story. If I were them, I would talk about how Millennials were defined with such interesting pop culture and technology.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/02/16 at 7:41 pm

I even hear a lot of people arguing over when each generation starts and ends and what the names should be. Like for example, Person A says that one generation starts in 1980 and ends at 1995, while Person B says that same generation starts in 1983 and ends in 2000. Those arguments never stop.
Which states my point as they don't look at other factors. The arbitrary statements I've read seem to be mainly focused on technology which shouldn't even be the determination. As for dates themselves, there could be reasons why they're like in that.

In addition, some people are not aware that there are many alternative names for these 3 generations.

X: 13th Generation, Baby busters, MTV, and Latch-key

Y: Millennials, Echo Boomers, Generation 2000, and 9/11

Z: Plurals, Homelanders, Founders, New Silents, and Generation 2020

I guess because the Millennial generation was when technology was booming fast. Especially during the 90s, 2000s, and even the 2010s. You also had the birth and golden ages of the Internet (although I wouldn't say the 2010s are a great decade for Internet culture). Before all of that stuff, you had technology from either the 1950s-1980s during the mid 20th century. The 1990s-2010s were way different, since you had technology that seemed like a fantasy back then. Of course, the 90s and 2000s isn't recent nor had stunning technology compared to the 2010s. However, without them, we wouldn't really have the modern technology we use every day. I know that I don't like the 2010s in general, but it seems similar technological-wise.

Well, Millennials were defined by Iraq War, 9/11, Clinton's presidency, iPods, etc. Their traits would mostly be liberalism, hipsters, and equality. I'm sure Boomers treated other people with equality, but most Millennials would learn on how people of other races should be treated respectfully.

Well... the people who made those articles don't study so much about the decade's pop culture, unlike us. They probably looked at while Millennials did and put that as their main story. If I were them, I would talk about how Millennials were defined with such interesting pop culture and technology.
Ding ding ding!!!! Your bolded statement is what's missing in discussions about generations.

I agree. That's because they're not researchers nor scientists. If you look at scientific studies, it includes many of the features shown within each generation such as attributes, events, and other miscellaneous.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/02/16 at 7:51 pm

It's only even more confusing, though, because the later part of the Boomer generation, or roughly those born during the very end of the 50s and first half of the 60s) aren't associated with those things at all. My 1960-born dad is primarily interested in rock from the core 70s, with some of his favorite musical acts being Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, Cat Stevens, and Frank Zappa. He's not as quick to talk about his love of the British Invasion, free love, or how much he protested the Vietnam War.

In a similar light, Generation X seems to be completely stereotyped as 90s grunge and gangsta rap-loving rebels who don't give a crap about life, even though anybody whose adolescence was during the core and late 80s would also have unmistakably been Generation X. There's a huge, huge difference between hair metal fans and grunge fanatics, even they all fall under the same arbitrary umbrella.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/02/16 at 8:05 pm

It's only even more confusing, though, because the later part of the Boomer generation, or roughly those born during the very end of the 50s and first half of the 60s) aren't associated with those things at all. My 1960-born dad is primarily interested in rock from the core 70s, with some of his favorite musical acts being Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, Cat Stevens, and Frank Zappa. He's not as quick to talk about his love of the British Invasion, free love, or how much he protested the Vietnam War.

In a similar light, Generation X seems to be completely stereotyped as 90s grunge and gangsta rap-loving rebels who don't give a crap about life, even though anybody whose adolescence was during the core and late 80s would also have unmistakably been Generation X. There's a huge, huge difference between hair metal fans and grunge fanatics, even they all fall under the same arbitrary umbrella.
Correct! Some people forget that all the time which is why there are two cohorts within each generation. I'm sure your dad's group were defined by traits like Disco, Watergate scandal, Nixon, and 1970s rock.

As for Xers, the 80s would define them by features such as New Wave, Reagan, Challenger Explosion, and Big hair.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/02/16 at 8:37 pm

Correct! Some people forget that all the time which is why there are two cohorts within each generation. I'm sure your dad's group were defined by traits like Disco, Watergate scandal, Nixon, and 1970s rock.

As for Xers, the 80s would define them by features such as New Wave, Reagan, Challenger Explosion, and Big hair.

Also, don't forget that the 80's cohort were also defined by Atari, arcades, early hip hop, hair metal, neon colors.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/16 at 9:10 pm

I'm confused where I left my cell phone!  >:(  8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/02/16 at 9:14 pm

Also, don't forget that the 80's cohort were also defined by Atari, arcades, early hip hop, hair metal, neon colors.
You're right on that one.

Another thing is that some people even forget Millennials are two cohorts. The 00s group were defined by 9/11, GWB, Crunk/Snap rap, Emo and Iraq War while the 10s team are defined by Obama, Trap rap, electropop, SJWs, police & school shootings, extreme PCs, and Hipsters.

Oh and I wanted to point the classmen people are associated with could play a role in which generation (or group) someone is in.

I'm confused where I left my cell phone!  >:(  8-P
was this for another thread?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 8:02 am

I agree. That's because they're not researchers nor scientists. If you look at scientific studies, it includes many of the features shown within each generation such as attributes, events, and other miscellaneous.

Yeah. It's unfair that they research about pop culture from previous generations, yet they only care about the technology during the Millennial generation. I know it seems hard to understand today's generation if you're really old, but it's not rocket science to research what Millennials do on a daily basis.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/03/16 at 3:35 pm

I think this site is pretty accurate, and this is it! NOW THE ARGUING SHOULD STOP. Lol. ;D At least for a while.

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/04/16 at 12:16 pm

Yeah guys.... don't have a cow!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/04/16 at 1:38 pm

Yeah. It's unfair that they research about pop culture from previous generations, yet they only care about the technology during the Millennial generation. I know it seems hard to understand today's generation if you're really old, but it's not rocket science to research what Millennials do on a daily basis.
Yes! That's exactly what they need to do. If they study pop culture on Millennials along with the traits, events and other misc. , then the researchers will come out with better results. They seem to have forgotten Millennials are not monolithic and that there are two or 3 cohorts.

I think this site is pretty accurate, and this is it! NOW THE ARGUING SHOULD STOP. Lol. ;D At least for a while.

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/
It is; however, the problem for the last three generations is when they begin and end. In addition, researchers seem to determine if someone is a Millennial or a Plural by using the technology feature when that clearly wasn't the case for the past generations.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/04/16 at 5:16 pm

Yes! That's exactly what they need to do. If they study pop culture on Millennials along with the traits, events and other misc. , then the researchers will come out with better results. They seem to have forgotten Millennials are not monolithic and that there are two or 3 cohorts.
It is; however, the problem for the last three generations is when they begin and end. In addition, researchers seem to determine if someone is a Millennial or a Plural by using the technology feature when that clearly wasn't the case for the past generations.

If technology is not a factor to how a generation would last and people prefer the old way of defining generation, this is how the last two generations would be like:

Millennial Generation (1983-2000)
Plural Generation (2001-2018)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/16/16 at 5:43 pm

If technology is not a factor to how a generation would last and people prefer the old way of defining generation, this is how the last two generations would be like:

Millennial Generation (1983-2000)
Plural Generation (2001-2018)
Sorry for the late response, but yes that's how they would be which I agree with; however, it still depends because even without using technology as a factor, some sources still have 1977/80-1994 as Millennials and 1995/98-2009 as Plurals.

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 12:27 am

Sorry for the late response, but yes that's how they would be which I agree with; however, it still depends because even without using technology as a factor, some sources still have 1977/80-1994 as Millennials and 1995/98-2009 as Plurals.

I always find those spans to be outdated. It also doesn't help that the sources that use those spans don't actually explain why they use them. So you'd basically end up with an article using a rather outdated span without any given reason. I usually end Millennials in 2000 since that year is how Millennials got their name in the first place, but hey what do I know.

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 12:32 am

Pretty much. Most opinions and theories on generations seem very arbitrary and inaccurate. I find it strange on how such a heavily opinionated idea/theory is used to define/generalize millions of people born from a certain span of years. In the end it just leaves people getting upset.

Written By: ralfy on 04/17/16 at 11:42 am

That has been the case, as I explained in other threads. Given that, it's easier to just look at two-decade increments (1920 to 1940, 1940 to 1960, etc.) and note the significant events that took place then.

Check for new replies or respond here...