inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adult Swim

Written By: cool123 on 04/17/16 at 12:10 pm

What's your favorite show from the channel? Do you think the quality of the channel has declined?

Subject: Re: Adult Swim

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 12:32 pm

I used to watch Adult Swim back in the late 2000s, although I heard of the channel in 2006. It used to be alright, with Robot Chicken, The Boondocks, Family Guy reruns, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force to name a few. I don't watch it a lot nowadays (with the exceptions of China, IL & Rick and Morty), since I don't find cartoons to be splendid as they used to be.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/17/16 at 2:02 pm

The Boondocks, Venture Bros, Ricky & Morty, Robot Chicken (formerly), and Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 3:05 pm

From 2001-2009; basically the entire 00s, was a loyal adult swim watcher for the comedies and anime!

My favorites were Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu YU Hakusho, Venutre Bros, Aqua teen Hunger Force, Sealab, Space Ghost, Home Movies, and Harvey Birdman!

Adult Swim today is kinda okay.... I just can't recall when the network begun to decline in quality.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/17/16 at 3:09 pm

My favorites were Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu YU Hakusho, Venutre Bros, Aqua teen Hunger Force, Sealab, Space Ghost, Home Movies, and Harvey Birdman!

Yu Yu Hakusho was on   ???

I remember it being on Cartoon Network (Toonami) regularly from 2003 until 2005. It was an epic show though. I thought the story arc was a lot more interesting than DBZ too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 3:16 pm

From 2001-2009; basically the entire 00s, was a loyal adult swim watcher for the comedies and anime!

Adult Swim today is kinda okay.... I just can't recall when the network begun to decline in quality.

I would say they declined in 2014/5, when they ended The Boondocks and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Well, for me that is.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 3:20 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho was on   ???

I remember it being on Cartoon Network (Toonami) regularly from 2003 until 2005. It was an epic show though. I thought the story arc was a lot more interesting than DBZ too.

Yup it was indeed on from mid 2002-mid 2003, and then in Spring of 2003 they started airing it on Toonami.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 3:26 pm

I remember it being on Cartoon Network (Toonami) regularly from 2003 until 2005.  I thought the story arc was a lot more interesting than DBZ too.

Funny story, they stopped airing it mid way through the chapter black saga(Sensui Arc, and moved it to Saturday mornings.... most likely because the series got REALLY REALLY dark and mature, too mature that they didn't want an uproar.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/16 at 4:06 pm

I think the quality has dwindled because there's nothing decent on there today except for a few shows.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/17/16 at 4:10 pm

I don't really watch it anymore. I really miss Mission Hill. That show used to kill me. And the reruns of the Oblongs!

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/17/16 at 4:12 pm

The original mains. Space Coast: Coast To Coast, Aqua Teen Hunger Force,  Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2012, Robot Chicken and The Boondocks.

I wouldn't list the anime since their originally from Japan. Might as well list the anime in the Cartoon Network thread since that's where most of the anime aired.

Adult Swim is extremely weird for my taste now. I would even say as far as nightmare-ish. Back in the day Adult Swim was a pretty chill and normal block. The extremeness of the block is unnecessary even for actual adults. The only reason I would watch Adult Swim now is due to the praise I heard from Rick and Morty.

I think the quality has dwindled because there's nothing decent on there today except for a few shows.

It all started in 2006-2007. The shows I seen around the time, one was where all the characters were realistically drawn and this devil show where the characters were 3D, which were insanely odd.

Written By: cool123 on 04/17/16 at 4:28 pm

I think one they ended Aqua Teen Hunger Force last year is when it started to really decline. They had been declining since 2013.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/17/16 at 4:40 pm

Funny story, they stopped airing it mid way through the chapter black saga(Sensui Arc, and moved it to Saturday mornings.... most likely because the series got REALLY REALLY dark and mature, too mature that they didn't want an uproar.

I believe late 2005/early 2006 is when it was on during the very early Saturday mornings, after CN Fridays was over, when it was very hard to catch it. Yeah, it was weird how CN treated Yu Yu Hakusho. I don't even remember correctly all the time-slots it kept switching week after week because it was on at this time and some other random time, etc. I mostly remember Yu Yu Hakusho on during Saturday nights on Toonami throughout 2004. It was on in 2003 and 2005 but I barely remember watching episodes during those years, maybe because of shuffling time slots or what.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/16 at 5:16 pm

I don't really watch it anymore. I really miss Mission Hill. That show used to kill me. And the reruns of the Oblongs!
I agree. Those shows were great and they were wacky in a good way.

The original mains. Space Coast: Coast To Coast, Aqua Teen Hunger Force,  Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2012, Robot Chicken and The Boondocks.

I wouldn't list the anime since their originally from Japan. Might as well list the anime in the Cartoon Network thread since that's where most of the anime aired.

Adult Swim is extremely weird for my taste now. I would even say as far as nightmare-ish. Back in the day Adult Swim was a pretty chill and normal block. The extremeness of the block is unnecessary even for actual adults. The only reason I would watch Adult Swim now is due to the praise I heard from Rick and Morty.

It all started in 2006-2007. The shows I seen around the time, one was where all the characters were realistically drawn and this devil show where the characters were 3D, which were insanely odd.

I agree. I don't watch AS much anymore for the reasons you mentioned. I miss it when it when the block was normal. The last time I saw the channel was sometime last year and even then, I just couldn't watch it.

I've watched Rick & Morty and it is absolutely hilarious and good. As for the other two you're speaking of, I remember those very well. Were they Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, Xavier: Renegade Angel, Frisky Dingo and/or Assy McGee?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 5:39 pm

I think one they ended Aqua Teen Hunger Force last year is when it started to really decline. They had been declining since 2013.

There are a lot of people who like Adult Swim now, thanks to Rick and Morty, China, IL, Superjail, Venture Bros, Black Jesus, and Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 5:47 pm

I believe late 2005/early 2006 is when it was on during the very early Saturday mornings, after CN Fridays was over, when it was very hard to catch it. Yeah, it was weird how CN treated Yu Yu Hakusho. I don't even remember correctly all the time-slots it kept switching week after week because it was on at this time and some other random time, etc. I mostly remember Yu Yu Hakusho on during Saturday nights on Toonami throughout 2004. It was on in 2003 and 2005 but I barely remember watching episodes during those years, maybe because of shuffling time slots or what.

Really? Those were mostly the final dark tournament saga episodes and early chapter black saga episodes.
It's run from 2002-spring 2005; from the Spirit Detective saga until the chapter Black arc, will how i'll always remember the series. not the last arc(Three Kings) that SUCKED!

and Like I said before the series got REALLY mature during it's latter years.

Written By: annimal on 04/17/16 at 5:48 pm

I watched Family Guy  sometimes when it first started.

Written By: cool123 on 04/17/16 at 7:53 pm

There are a lot of people who like Adult Swim now, thanks to Rick and Morty, China, IL, Superjail, Venture Bros, Black Jesus, and Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Don't get me wrong I like all those shows. But there's such a lack of diversity of scheduling. There's 4 hours of Fox reruns and then maybe 1 1/2 hours of OG programming followed by another hour of Fox reruns.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 8:01 pm

Don't get me wrong I like all those shows. But there's such a lack of diversity of scheduling. There's 4 hours of Fox reruns and then maybe 1 1/2 hours of OG programming followed by another hour of Fox reruns.

Yeah, but they've been airing reruns of King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad since the late 2000s. So, it's not really new to Adult Swim viewers now.

Written By: cool123 on 04/17/16 at 8:28 pm

Yeah, but they've been airing reruns of King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad since the late 2000s. So, it's not really new to Adult Swim viewers now.

But instead of 1-2 hours it's now 4-5 hours.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 9:00 pm

But instead of 1-2 hours it's now 4-5 hours.

Yeah, but I'm just pointing that out there.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/18/16 at 8:36 am

I agree. Those shows were great and they were wacky in a good way.
I agree. I don't watch AS much anymore for the reasons you mentioned. I miss it when it when the block was normal. The last time I saw the channel was sometime last year and even then, I just couldn't watch it.

I've watched Rick & Morty and it is absolutely hilarious and good. As for the other two you're speaking of, I remember those very well. Were they Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, Xavier: Renegade Angel, Frisky Dingo and/or Assy McGee?

I definitely recall the Devil's Daughter show. For the second show you listed, that should be it. I can remember the theme, but never knew the title of the show. I would add Squidbillies as another extremely odd touch. The Boondocks changed for the worst to. I didn't like season 3. Wasn't hyped for season 4. Robot Chicken got tedious for me. Both shows had great starts though.

I forgot to add Venture Bros as one of my Adult Swim favorites. Even though its hard to understand what's exactly going on, I like the diversity of characters from the series.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/16 at 3:03 pm

I watched Family Guy  sometimes when it first started.

They weren't a part of Adult Swim? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/16 at 3:10 pm

They weren't a part of Adult Swim? ???

Well, Family Guy wasn't originally aired on Adult Swim. They just air reruns on the block.

Written By: cool123 on 04/18/16 at 9:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0v_Ckb0xAY

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/19/16 at 10:08 pm

Biggest issue with it now, is that their animes only come on Saturdays, they should have the toonami block EVERY night. and the shows are getting a little stupider...

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/16 at 10:19 pm

Biggest issue with it now, is that their animes only come on Saturdays, they should have the toonami block EVERY night. and the shows are getting a little stupider...

Parasyte is the only anime worth watching on the block now. I honestly don't care for DBZ Kai. Samurai Jack comes later this year which I'm pretty sure will be good since the original creator is returning.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/19/16 at 10:31 pm

Parasyte is the only anime worth watching on the block now. I honestly don't care for DBZ Kai. Samurai Jack comes later this year which I'm pretty sure will be good since the original creator is returning.

I can't wait for Samurai Jack, but DBZ kai I obviously care for since I'm a ''die hard'' fan; but I have it on DVDs and blu rays. I think the dub is MUCH MUCH better than the classic 1999-2004 dub we grew up with, but imo kai is only a treat for us fans here in America.... the Jap sides of things the series was a DISASTER.

Written By: humaeast on 06/03/16 at 3:49 pm

Steve Blum as TOM 5 is sexy...

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/11/16 at 11:08 pm

Rick And Morty is the only reason to tune in beside Toonami.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:24 pm

I used to sneak downstairs and watch the anime on AS as a kid. I loved the bumpers. "We'd like to see you try... OK!"

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/23/17 at 9:00 am

The anime I watched were Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho, but sometimes I'd wake up early and watch the old anime like Gigantor and Astro Boy. I usually made fun of them, because they were in B&W and the more recent Astro Boy that was on Toonami around that time was in color.

Check for new replies or respond here...