inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoon Network Powerhouse Era

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/20/16 at 10:36 am

This was Cartoon Network's second "look," lasting from 1997 to 2004 (basically my elementary school years). The look consisted of bumpers featuring cartoon characters from the network's shows with excerpts from Raymond Scott's composition Powerhouse, hence the name "Powerhouse" era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUN7abk42IU

A lot of people consider this to be the classic and most nostalgic look for Cartoon Network. Also, some of Cartoon Network's most network-defining programs, such as Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and Cartoon Theatre, began airing during this era.

I think this look was very fun and memorable. I remember about 99% of the bumpers in the above Youtube video. I remember finding the bumpers very eye-catching and fun to watch. What are some of your memories of this era?

Subject: Re: Cartoon Network Powerhouse Era

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/16 at 3:12 pm

I didn't have Cartoon Network but I have watched a lot of those shows. O0 For some reason the Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry are the ones that make me most nostalgic. There was a Tom & Jerry movie that came out in the 90s where they had to leave their house, wasn't there? I loved that movie and of course Space Jam.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/16 at 3:31 pm

late 2001 through 2006 were my main years watching Cartoon Network when I was 5-10 years old, so THIS right here were my earliest memories watching Cartoon Network, and that's why 2002 and 2003 were the best years watching the channel for me. I was always hyped to see the original Cartoon Cartoons, Kids WB cartoons, classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, anime, and comic book action shows every Fridays and weekends on the channel. I'm gonna start by posting one of my most memorable moments from this era. Throughout 2002 & 2003, especially during the school breaks or summer time when there was no school, this block called Primetime would always come on weeknights (Mon-Thur), and there would be jazz music background in between the bumpers with the cartoon characters in the bubbles while watching your favorite shows. It felt so relaxing and felt like heaven, when life was so much easier for me obviously!

Qo7hK4ICP4o qBoiW0n3y4o nAqhvTnqvSQ

OMOStyrsfc0 H0QR16H1jbk poPeQsv75Kw

W9-tbI-yzPs KwGhICNsFIs mXozuMPRjY4

and CN City era from mid 2004-early 2006 was really good too, even though that's not the topic of this thread, it definitely deserves an honorable mention for those epic Saturday night Toonami lineups and CN Summer 2005 was pretty epic as well!

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/16 at 3:35 pm

and this is the very first Toonami lineup I ever saw too, especially the one from 1:09-1:20.

1mCkO3p7M6U

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 3:40 pm

As somebody who was born in 1999, I never experienced the Powerhouse era. The first time I've watched Cartoon Network was in early 2005 (via Boomerang), when the City era was around. Although, I did watch the Powerhouse era shows, such as Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls. They were mostly on Boomerang when I watched them.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/16 at 3:42 pm

As somebody who was born in 1999, I never experienced the Powerhouse era. The first time I've watched Cartoon Network was in early 2005 (via Boomerang), when the City era was around. Although, I did watch the Powerhouse era shows, such as Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls. They were mostly on Boomerang when I watched them.

The Powerpuff Girls was still on Cartoon Network on many occasions throughout 2005, since it did end that year. Do you remember when it was on CN too?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 3:54 pm

The Powerpuff Girls was still on Cartoon Network on many occasions throughout 2005, since it did end that year. Do you remember when it was on CN too?

I remember when they had the Christmas special on during 2005 (I think). I was really amazed, since it was very cute to me. It was my favorite Cartoon Network show of all time. I also remember the 10th Anniversary special, which I was really excited for when it premiered.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/21/16 at 9:22 am

I consider 2003 the Powerhouse Era finale. 2004 was the transition. Cartoon Network 2004 was great, but not glorious as 1998-2003.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 9:39 am

I consider 2003 the Powerhouse Era finale. 2004 was the transition. Cartoon Network 2004 was great, but not glorious as 1998-2003.

Yeah my parents got illegal satellite in late 2003 (lol) so I got Cartoon Network then, and it was pretty disappointing. Not like the European Cartoon Network I remember watching in the late 90s/early 2000s whenever I vacationed there.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/21/16 at 10:26 am

I agree, 2004 was arguably the most transitional year in Cartoon Network history. It didn't feel like a complete Powerhouse or City year. It felt like the cusp, because the first half of the year was still Powerhouse, but the second half of the year was City and at the same time the second half of 2004 was the last time the Cartoon Cartoons and classics were airing regularly before those were taken off by the very end of the year. In fact, programming wise 2004 Cartoon Network didn't feel much different than 2003 (although 2003 was still better obviously), with the exception of the new logo/bumpers, Miguzi being on weekdays, and SVES being replaced by Toonami on Saturday nights. 2004 Cartoon Network still had Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory (reruns), Looney Tunes during early Sat mornings, Duck Dodgers, Courage the Cowardly Dog (reruns), along with new episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, etc. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was just getting started in 2004.

2005 Cartoon Network felt like a true City year for sure, and it felt like a completely different year with a lot of new shows that were coming out fast like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, Camp Lazlo, Life & Times of Juniper Lee, Ben 10, Krypto the Superdog, My Gym Partner's A Monkey, etc. and it was the peak of the City Era too. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends peaked by this year. The hype for new episodes of Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited was huge on Saturday nights. You still had Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, and Ed, Edd n Eddy, but the rest of the classic Cartoon Cartoons were either put in death time slots (like late nights or early mornings), or were only shown on the Top 5 block.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/21/16 at 10:33 am

Yeah my parents got illegal satellite in late 2003 (lol) so I got Cartoon Network then, and it was pretty disappointing. Not like the European Cartoon Network I remember watching in the late 90s/early 2000s whenever I vacationed there.

What was disappointing about Cartoon Network in late 2003 for you? and when your parents got illegal satellite was it the U.S. version or the European version?

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 10:59 am

What was disappointing about Cartoon Network in late 2003 for you? and when your parents got illegal satellite was it the U.S. version or the European version?

I can't remember exactly. It wasn't disappointing the exact moment I got it, but after I had it for a few months I never went back on it. It was the American version haha, Europe is a bit far to be getting reception from there.

I remember one of the commercials though, it was a commercial for the chocolate chip cookie cereal. We were learning about NAFTA at school and I thought free trade meant everything American was available in Canada and vice versa. I searched high and low for that cereal man, my parents drove me to different grocery stores but no luck.  :\'( I finally got to eat it when I went to Florida last summer. It was delicious but I'm sure my 10 year old self would appreciate it more LOL.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/21/16 at 5:48 pm

One of the best eras in CN history! I agree it was exciting and unforgettable. There's a lot I recall from this period. I began watching this channel in 1998 (so yeah, pre-CCF and pre-TOM Toonami) and I'm glad didn't miss out :D.

Thanks to MQG for providing the videos of the 2001-04 Powerhouse era. Now here's some from the same period the 1998-2000 span.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDMmZWB8PU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp843eXXPqM&list=PL7VKWqz5UHLiSgr9EY2H7Gw90q9_wNK_f

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Js-HLY_WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq0SYQlrMr0&list=PLLKiRvrwsXTKbQDBuz0R8MxnOQ7c1R5_3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTt8F2fp04&list=PLLKiRvrwsXTKbQDBuz0R8MxnOQ7c1R5_3&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpbsT61y2s

Check for new replies or respond here...