inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs with samples

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/16 at 8:16 pm

I did one of these before, but I'm lazy to look, so let's start fresh!

Your favourite songs that sample other songs.  Go!

Subject: Re: Songs with samples

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/16 at 8:27 pm

In 2005, the 1988 classic Waiting For A Star to Fall by Boy Meets Girl was re-popularized when it was sampled in 3 different songs that all became big club hits which I still enjoy ...

The first one is called Star to Fall by Cabin Crew.  Sony/BMG approved a sample of the music, but would not allow the lyrics to be sampled, so the group went straight to the source and got original Boy Meets Girl singer George Merrill to re-record his vocals.  This made it to #4 in the UK
EWs4abqdwZ0

Here is Falling Stars by Sunset Strippers.  This one was released a week after the Cabin Crew version, and in an effort to top the former, Sony/BMG approved sampling the lyrics, and it worked.  This made #3 in the UK
2c1Y34vgrI8

The last one is In My Arms by Mylo.  This reached #13 in the UK, but is given high praise as it also samples the 1981 hit Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
zqyJxz-lzHM

All three are awesome, but I think I still like the Sunset Strippers version the best as it is the one I listen to the most

Check for new replies or respond here...