inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First year with noticeable Generation X qualities

Written By: The Burger King on 05/03/16 at 6:12 pm

We all probably know that 1965 is when Gen X starts due to the birth rates declining. However, this thread is about the first people to have noticeable Gen X traits/qualities, not the first people to be Gen X.

I would probably say 1962 is where Gen X traits become noticeable.

They are the first to graduate and become legal adults in the 80's
A lot of them, probably same with 1963ers and especially 1964ers, would never really get into disco culture
None of them could remember anything about JFK being assassinated
They weren't even in elementary school yet when hippie culture took over in the 1966-67 school year.

Subject: Re: First year with noticeable Generation X qualities

Written By: #Infinity on 05/03/16 at 6:19 pm

1962 is still solidly Boomer. Music, film, and television were still solidly late X in the early 80s. People were still into shows like M*A*S*H, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Jeffersons, and Mork & Mindy then. 1982 was really the first year that early X things like Family Ties, synthpop, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and MTV were major parts of popular culture. By then, most people born in 1962 were already halfway through college.

Written By: The Burger King on 05/03/16 at 6:31 pm

1962 is still solidly Boomer. Music, film, and television were still solidly late Boomer in the early 80s. People were still into shows like M*A*S*H, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Jeffersons, and Mork & Mindy then. 1982 was really the first year that early X things like Family Ties, synthpop, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and MTV were major parts of popular culture. By then, most people born in 1962 were already halfway through college.

I was just taking a guess there, but you are probably more accurate than I am in this part.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/16 at 10:50 pm

You could say 1963ers...
They were the first to graduate during the Reagan era
Were born the year Kennedy was killed
those are some minor examples...   

Written By: bchris02 on 05/03/16 at 11:32 pm

I would say late 60s borns.  70s borns are the peak of Gen X in my opinion.

My parents were born in 1964 and while they are technically GenX, culturally they are closer to the boomers.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/04/16 at 8:10 am

I would say late 60s borns.  70s borns are the peak of Gen X in my opinion.

This is a fact, because everybody agrees that Generation X is 1965-1979/80, so what other decade could be the peak of X?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/16 at 8:40 am

Chilled, laid back. No, I'm not kidding.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 11:13 am

This is a fact, because everybody agrees that Generation X is 1965-1979/80, so what other decade could be the peak of X?
IDK, 1969-1971 are the most stereotypical Gen X birth years to me. The cast of Friends, Rob Ford, and Justin Trudeau  ;D

They were in their peak childhood when Star Wars came out, they blew all their allowance in the arcades, they bought the Atari, then you move into their teen years and you get the launch of MTV, Madonna, punk, metal, hip hop, etc. basically 80s teens. Then when they enter the job market in the early 90s, you get the recession, the important thing is they were in the job market before technology and the Internet took off.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/04/16 at 11:37 am

IDK, 1969-1971 are the most stereotypical Gen X birth years to me. The cast of Friends, Rob Ford, and Justin Trudeau  ;D

They were in their peak childhood when Star Wars came out, they blew all their allowance in the arcades, they bought the Atari, then you move into their teen years and you get the launch of MTV, Madonna, punk, metal, hip hop, etc. basically 80s teens. Then when they enter the job market in the early 90s, you get the recession, the important thing is they were in the job market before technology and the Internet took off.

The early Gen X people born throughout the 2nd half of the 60's could have similarities with the late Boomers born throughout the 1st half of the 60's. So everybody born throughout the 70's are the peak of X, or at least early to mid 70's babies are the peak of X. With late 70's babies being late X. It doesn't make sense for ANYBODY born in the 70's to be part of the millennial generation. Only those who believe Gen Z starts in 1993 are those who are fooled into believing the myth that Gen Y or millennials start in 1977.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 4:41 pm

The early Gen X people born throughout the 2nd half of the 60's could have similarities with the late Boomers born throughout the 1st half of the 60's. So everybody born throughout the 70's are the peak of X, or at least early to mid 70's babies are the peak of X. With late 70's babies being late X. It doesn't make sense for ANYBODY born in the 70's to be part of the millennial generation. Only those who believe Gen Z starts in 1993 are those who are fooled into believing the myth that Gen Y or millennials start in 1977.

My mom is born late 1966 and she's pure Gen X to me. Maybe a vanishingly small hint of Boomer, but not enough to be relevant. She watched Pink Panther and Scooby Doo as a kid back when they used to stop airing television after 5:30, and she was in high school and college entirely in the 80s. My dad born 1958 is the real Boomer, being a disco kid for his entire university career and hippiedom still being a thing when he was in early high school.

1993 is very late Y. Probably what 1962 is to Boomers.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/04/16 at 4:52 pm

Boomers are usually the parents of the people born in most of the 80's and all of the 90's (Millennials), while Gen Xers are usually the parents of the people born in the 00's and the first half of the 10's (Plurals).

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 7:22 pm

Boomers are usually the parents of the people born in most of the 80's and all of the 90's (Millennials), while Gen Xers are usually the parents of the people born in the 00's and the first half of the 10's (Plurals).

Unless people are having kids in their 40s and 50s, I think your numbers are off by a decade or a half at least.  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/16 at 8:53 pm

I agree bro, early 70s babies are the peak of Gen X.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/16 at 8:59 pm

Close enough, I'd say the early 70s babies are the peak Gen Xers. 1970-1973/74ish... Basically late 80s and early 90s teens.

Btw, regarding the friends cast... Cox and Kudrow are late boomers, while Aniston, Perry, and Leblanc are early Xers, not peak...

Check for new replies or respond here...