inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VHS generation loss

Written By: aja675 on 05/16/16 at 8:16 am

mES3CHEnVyI

Subject: Re: VHS generation loss

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 5:17 pm

Pretty cool video but my god... That song! F*ckin' Roxette, man... Now I've got that one portion stuck in my head playing over and over.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 5:25 pm

And this is why people convert their VHS tapes into either DVDs or digital copies. Recording that sh*t twenty times has got to be f*cked up for those tapes. But recording something on VHS isn't as good as DVD anyway.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/16/16 at 7:33 pm

A whole generation missing a tape getting caught in a machine.  :\'(

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/16/16 at 8:01 pm

Back in the 80's and the 90's, people have no choice but to record videos on VHS, because there was no DVDs or DVRs at that time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 9:17 pm

They'll never know the pain... Once a tape got stuck in my VCR 'cause it stopped working and I had to smash it open to get it out. Good thing I had a spare!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/16/16 at 9:37 pm

They'll never know the pain... Once a tape got stuck in my VCR 'cause it stopped working and I had to smash it open to get it out. Good thing I had a spare!

I remember doing that to a VCR once. I tried to remove the tape, but it wouldn't come out. So I had to end that VCR's life by literally cutting the cord.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 10:02 pm

I remember doing that to a VCR once. I tried to remove the tape, but it wouldn't come out. So I had to end that VCR's life by literally cutting the cord.

Yeah, man. It sucks getting the tape out!

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:53 pm

mES3CHEnVyI

It gets to the point where you can't see the video anymore.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:53 pm

I remember those days.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:54 pm

I had to slowly pry open the VCR slide and try to get the tape out.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:55 pm

Yeah, man. It sucks getting the tape out!

then the tape gets ruined.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/19/16 at 3:48 pm

then the tape gets ruined.

I had to slowly pry open the VCR slide and try to get the tape out.

Yeah, you've gotta be really careful with it or else you'll screw up the tape real bad.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/16 at 7:39 am

Yeah, you've gotta be really careful with it or else you'll screw up the tape real bad.

http://www.digital-scrapbooking-storage.com/images/vhstapedamage.jpg
or else the tape will look like this.  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/20/16 at 7:54 am

http://www.digital-scrapbooking-storage.com/images/vhstapedamage.jpg
or else the tape will look like this.  :o

Yep! That's what happens when you screw it up!

Written By: Howard on 05/20/16 at 7:57 am

Yep! That's what happens when you screw it up!

and it's hard to put it back together again.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/25/16 at 1:09 pm

I thought this thread was going to refer to how the VHS has faded from use and culture thanks to new technology rather than tape quality along with a generation of new people who have never grown up with one, similar to how I missed out on 8-tracks (and being born in 1985, have still never used one properly, even for retro curiosity). It has more than faded, even the use of finding them has changed as many secondhand thrift stores no longer carry them like they did at the beginning of this decade, and they are becoming increasingly hard to find at yard sales as well. The last commercially released VHS was "A History of Violence" in early 2006 with the final blank tapes for recording in October 2008. That said, you could start noticing the VHS section of the store beginning to shrink as early as around 2002, the year that DVD sales passed VHS sales for the first time, and in a few short years, died just as fast as it had sprouted up in the late 1970s/early 1980s. VHS will have historical curiosity as time passes, but will be like wax cylinders compared to vinyl records (and CDs) for DVD (and Blu-Ray).

Written By: Starlighter on 06/05/16 at 2:19 pm

Poor music video.  It didn't survive all those generations. 

and it's hard to put it back together again.

We used to take the casing of the tape apart, wind it back up, then screw the covers on again.  Sometimes the film would snap when the tape would be rewound.   

Written By: aja675 on 05/21/17 at 9:20 am

G8GOcB6H0uQ

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/21/17 at 12:41 pm

Even though it's low quality I'll always think there's something nostalgic about the look of VHS. It takes me back to the late 90's and early 2000's when I actually had them. Mind you they even wear out by watching them over and over again. I watched Monster's INC on Vhs like a 100 times when I was about 6. The colours were all faded in the end. When I bought the dvd I actually thought the colour of the dvd was over saturated or something due to me being used to the faded colours.

Check for new replies or respond here...