inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All of these Hip-Hop dance songs are almost or close to 10 years old

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/17/16 at 6:50 pm

Yesterday, one of my friends in class was rapping quickly to Chris Brown's song Look at Me Now as some others wanted see him do it. All of a sudden after that rapid act, I just realized that I'm amazed how the song was released 5 years ago :o and it just seems like yesterday it was everywhere.

Then it also quickly came to me that these dances are wait for it..... almost or close to 10 years old. Yep, you heard me! All these songs are totally not recent anymore and they were the latest fad many people did not even that long ago.

As I was talking to them, I mentioned how we had a dance back to back each school year at that time. First, it was the Superman in 2007; then in early 2009, it was the Stanky Legg; in the middle of the same year, it was the Jerk; in 2010, then it was the Dougie; then last year, another dance came on the scene which was the Whip & Nae-Nae which kids were more likely to do it much better than those older.

Can you guys believe how time went so quickly where almost everybody was doing these dances and now, they possibly seem dated?

Subject: Re: All of these Hip-Hop dance songs are almost or close to 10 years old

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/17/16 at 6:54 pm

All of them are copying off Soulja Boy.

Subject: Re: All of these Hip-Hop dance songs are almost or close to 10 years old

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/17/16 at 7:03 pm

All of them are copying off Soulja Boy.
How? All of the other dances are unique and they were made by a group instead of one person.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/17/16 at 7:43 pm

How? All of the other dances are unique and they were made by a group instead of one person.

Whip and Nae-Nae seems similar to Soulja Boy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 1:11 pm

Whip and Nae-Nae seems similar to Soulja Boy.
Are you sure? I've seen both videos and their dances are totally distinct from one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 1:14 pm

Are you sure? I've seen both videos and their dances are totally distinct from one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc

The beat and style seems similar. It may be my personal opinion.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 1:19 pm

The beat and style seems similar. It may be my personal opinion.
Oh. now I see you mean. Maybe Silento got influence from Soulja Boy when his song was released. Did you at one point do these dances?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 1:22 pm

Oh. now I see you mean. Maybe Silento got influence from Soulja Boy when his song was released. Did you at one point do these dances?

I love doing the Soulja Boy dances, but Silento is just awful to me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 1:30 pm

I love doing the Soulja Boy dances, but Silento is just awful to me.
That's exactly what MqG said. One of my teachers on Monday wondered how were kids able to do the dance and even like it? Now that the song is almost 10 years old, do you think it's a classic now?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 2:31 pm

That's exactly what MqG said. One of my teachers on Monday wondered how were kids able to do the dance and even like it? Now that the song is almost 10 years old, do you think it's a classic now?

If you meant Soulja Boy, I'm pretty sure it's a classic. If you meant Silento, there's no way in hell that's a classic to me. Even 10 years later, I would refuse to call it as a classic.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 2:37 pm

If you meant Soulja Boy, I'm pretty sure it's a classic. If you meant Silento, there's no way in hell that's a classic to me. Even 10 years later, I would refuse to call it as a classic.
Yeah that's what I meant. There's not even a chance Nae-Nae can be a classic if it just came out last year.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 2:37 pm

People older than me thought Crank That - Soulja Boy was awful too at the time it was really popular throughout the late 2000's. Dance pop songs like Crank That - Soulja Boy, Party Like A Rockstar - Shop Boyz, Stanky Leg - GS Boyz, and Low - Flo Rida were some of the biggest highlights of my preteen/early teen years and everybody in middle school loved those songs. I'm so thankful that I was no longer in high school by the time Watch Me Nae Nae by Silento got released last year or so. According to wikipedia the song was released in September 2014 but didn't get real popular until 2015. The Class of 2014 was in 6th grade when Crank That - Soulja Boy got real popular, and Silento gets popular the year after we graduate. That's bizzarre! So everybody who was in middle school and high school (6th-12th grade) when Crank That - Soulja Boy got released were all graduated right when Watch Me Nae Nae - Silento got released, and everybody who was in pre-K and elementary school when Crank That - Soulja Boy got released were in middle school or high school when Watch Me Nae Nae - Silento got released. The way college aged folks feel like Silento now is how people felt about Soulja Boy back then. Although, I have some respect for Silento since he's from my hometown (Atlanta, GA), but that doesn't mean I like his music though. It could be true that Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men (2000) was the big dance before Soulja Boy got popular too. Who Let the Dogs Out (2000), 7 years later, Crank That (2007), 7-8 years later, Watch Me Whip Nae Nae (2014/2015).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 2:42 pm

Yeah that's what I meant. There's not even a chance Nae-Nae can be a classic if it just came out last year.

I don't even think Nae-Nae could be a classic until eight or nine years later.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/16 at 5:56 pm

Also, I have to address this too, but one of my sister's who is a senior in high school right now is about to graduate, and she just had her PROM last Saturday and "Watch Me/Whip Nae Nae" was in fact played at her PROM. I believe she said 2 or 3 times too. At my high school PROM back in early 2014, we had songs like Drunk In Love - Beyonce, Roar & Dark Horse - Katy Perry, songs like Monster or Headlights from Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP 2 album, We Dem Boyz - Wiz Khalifa, Fancy - Iggy Azalea, or Turn Down for What - DJ Snake/Lil Jon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/18/16 at 6:44 pm

People older than me thought Crank That - Soulja Boy was awful too at the time it was really popular throughout the late 2000's. Dance pop songs like Crank That - Soulja Boy, Party Like A Rockstar - Shop Boyz, Stanky Leg - GS Boyz, and Low - Flo Rida were some of the biggest highlights of my preteen/early teen years and everybody in middle school loved those songs. I'm so thankful that I was no longer in high school by the time Watch Me Nae Nae by Silento got released last year or so. According to wikipedia the song was released in September 2014 but didn't get real popular until 2015. The Class of 2014 was in 6th grade when Crank That - Soulja Boy got real popular, and Silento gets popular the year after we graduate. That's bizzarre! So everybody who was in middle school and high school (6th-12th grade) when Crank That - Soulja Boy got released were all graduated right when Watch Me Nae Nae - Silento got released, and everybody who was in pre-K and elementary school when Crank That - Soulja Boy got released were in middle school or high school when Watch Me Nae Nae - Silento got released. The way college aged folks feel like Silento now is how people felt about Soulja Boy back then. Although, I have some respect for Silento since he's from my hometown (Atlanta, GA), but that doesn't mean I like his music though. It could be true that Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men (2000) was the big dance before Soulja Boy got popular too. Who Let the Dogs Out (2000), 7 years later, Crank That (2007), 7-8 years later, Watch Me Whip Nae Nae (2014/2015).
Wait, those two were also dance songs? As for the other bold, it depends though as some of those folks were even out of college before Nae-Nae was released. Just looking back, it's amazing how all of these songs were out when I was in HS and everyone was doing the dances during lunch, passing period and even in PE. It's crazy how time files.

Don't forget the Cha Cha silde ;)

Also, I have to address this too, but one of my sister's who is a senior in high school right now is about to graduate, and she just had her PROM last Saturday and "Watch Me/Whip Nae Nae" was in fact played at her PROM. I believe she said 2 or 3 times too. At my high school PROM back in early 2014, we had songs like Drunk In Love - Beyonce, Roar & Dark Horse - Katy Perry, songs like Monster or Headlights from Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP 2 album, We Dem Boyz - Wiz Khalifa, Fancy - Iggy Azalea, or Turn Down for What - DJ Snake/Lil Jon.
Were people annoyed by it and did they enjoy it?

I don't even think Nae-Nae could be a classic until eight or nine years later.
Yeah, but it would depend though. It could be considered a classic in 5 years possibly.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/18/16 at 7:16 pm

Yeah, but it would depend though. It could be considered a classic in 5 years possibly.

Well if 2010s nostalgia is gonna come out quicker than 2000s nostalgia, then that could be the case.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/19/16 at 4:09 pm

Well if 2010s nostalgia is gonna come out quicker than 2000s nostalgia, then that could be the case.
Yeah, that's if someone starts it early though (but I doubt that as it happened with the 90s and it turned into a disaster)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/19/16 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, that's if someone starts it early though (but I doubt that as it happened with the 90s and it turned into a disaster)

Yeah. I would doubt that anyone would start 2010s nostalgia early as hell.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/16 at 4:39 pm

Yeah. I would doubt that anyone would start 2010s nostalgia early as hell.

I have nostalgia for the early 2010s already.  That was a great time in my life and I loved the culture.

As for '00s hip-hop dances, I think they were much bigger back then than they are now.  Nae Nae has a similar feel but I don't think it is as popular.  In 2007, you couldn't avoid Soulja Boy.

This makes me feel old.  My prom was mostly Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, NSync, the Backstreet Boys, and '80s hair metal.  Hip-hop wasn't played because of how conservative this town is and the fact parents would have had a fit.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/22/16 at 5:18 pm

This makes me feel old.  My prom was mostly Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, NSync, the Backstreet Boys, and '80s hair metal.  Hip-hop wasn't played because of how conservative this town is and the fact parents would have had a fit.

That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard of. My prom and many others I've heard of played all kinds of genres of music based off the current year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/22/16 at 5:27 pm

I have nostalgia for the early 2010s already.  That was a great time in my life and I loved the culture.

I wouldn't feel nostalgic for something that happened 3-6 years ago, since I still find it to be recent.

As for '00s hip-hop dances, I think they were much bigger back then than they are now.  Nae Nae has a similar feel but I don't think it is as popular.  In 2007, you couldn't avoid Soulja Boy.

At least Soulja Boy was cool and didn't have cringeworthy promotions. *cough* his terrible Nickelodeon promo *cough*

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/16 at 5:43 pm

Don't forget the Cha Cha silde ;)

Now you've ventured back into my wheelhouse. I have no idea why, but for some reason that song was mega popular during my 8th grade year. It seems so quaint now looking back on it 16 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 5:43 pm

Didn't you graduate 2004? You weren't kidding when you said your town is a few years behind in music :o

I agree about Silento, I didn't hear about him until I joined this forum. He's only maybe about 20% as popular as Soulja Boy was in 2007, thankfully. I can't stand either of them. Not hip hop, but Smack That (or just the Konvicted album in general) was my R&B jam in 2007 ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/22/16 at 7:47 pm

What part of the South did you live in at the time?

Now you've ventured back into my wheelhouse. I have no idea why, but for some reason that song was mega popular during my 8th grade year. It seems so quaint now looking back on it 16 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY
Yeah, that song was everywhere. When I was in high school, the club I was in had a dance every year and this song would come up and we would be doing the Cha Cha Slide  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...