inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/22/16 at 11:33 pm

The next season of Survivor will have a "Millennials vs. Gen X" theme. Anyone going to tune in? I thought of this board when they announced it. It already filmed and will begin airing in the fall. I'm curious about where they placed the dividing line between the two generations, but I have read about the rumored cast and it appears a 33 year old (born 1982-83) is in the older half while a 31 year old (born 1984-85) is in the younger half, so I would have to assume they are on separate tribes.

People are sometimes surprised to find out the show is even still on the air but the ratings have been solid and it continually wins its time slot.

Subject: Re: The next season of Survivor...

Written By: #Infinity on 05/23/16 at 12:27 am

I've been watching Survivor consistently with my family since Season 6 in early 2003. I'll be fascinated to see how this season turns out, even though I personally find their apparent cutoff a bit too late.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/23/16 at 1:07 am

I personally find their apparent cutoff a bit too late.

Agreed, but I've heard with these "themed" seasons, they finalize the cast first and then decide on a pertinent theme to divide the tribes based on the cast they have, rather than the other way around. Heroes vs. Villains for instance was at first cast as an indiscriminate all-stars season, and then they realized everyone they cast was either heroic or villainous, with a few choices being admittedly pretty dubious (Danielle DiLorenzo a villain? Pretty random if you ask me.) Also on both Brains vs. Beauty vs. Brawns seasons, you'll see people on each tribe who seem like they'd arguably be a better fit on a different tribe, and it's because people get shoehorned around if there's no room on one or not enough people on another. It's probably the same story with the White Collar vs. Blue Collar vs. No Collar theme they did last spring, which IMO was just another permutation of Brains/Brawn/Beauty respectively.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 2:37 am

Very important question, what's going to be the age range for the people on this season of Survivor?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/23/16 at 3:57 am

Very important question, what's going to be the age range for the people on this season of Survivor?

The oldest person, Paul Watcher, is 51 years old (born 1964/1965), while the youngest, William Wahl, is 18 (thus born around 1997/1998). The older limit of X and lower limit of Y both make sense to me, it's just that the 82/83-born should be in the Y tribe, at least based on age alone. I suppose being born in 1982/1983 makes somebody old enough to have predominantly Gen-X traits if they wanted (she/he would have started high school in the 1997-1998 school year, which still had a fair amount of X characteristics, not to mention she/he would be in middle school during the 1994-1995 school year), but we'll just have to see if Kenneth McNickle truly seems like an X'er or not.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/23/16 at 10:39 am

The oldest person, Paul Watcher, is 51 years old (born 1964/1965), while the youngest, William Wahl, is 18 (thus born around 1997/1998). The older limit of X and lower limit of Y both make sense to me, it's just that the 82/83-born should be in the Y tribe, at least based on age alone. I suppose being born in 1982/1983 makes somebody old enough to have predominantly Gen-X traits if they wanted (she/he would have started high school in the 1997-1998 school year, which still had a fair amount of X characteristics, not to mention she/he would be in middle school during the 1994-1995 school year), but we'll just have to see if Kenneth McNickle truly seems like an X'er or not.

Yeah, I think the next oldest after him is a trio of 37 year-olds making them born in 1978-79 (solidly late X by most definitions) so Kenneth appears to be the only one "shoehorned" into one of the tribes based on being near the border.

...he's quite dreamy btw :D so I don't mind them mis-classifying him as long as I get to see him on my TV screen, LOL. I hope he lasts to Day 39 for maximum island-hotness potential ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/23/16 at 11:05 am

The fact that the guy born in 1982 is going to be on a team with someone born in 1964, while the guy born in 1984 is on a team with someone born in 1998, perfectly illustrates the absurdity of having 20 year long cultural "generations" with hard dates as cut-off points. ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/15/16 at 12:08 pm

This starts in less than a week!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 2:36 pm

I'm not a big fan of Survivor, but it's a hit or miss for me. Even if it has Millennials going against Gen Xers, it wouldn't really matter to me.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/16 at 3:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of Survivor, but it's a hit or miss for me. Even if it has Millennials going against Gen Xers, it wouldn't really matter to me.

I don't watch Survivor any longer, lost interest in it but I remember the old episodes from 12, 13 years ago.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/07/16 at 9:27 am

Has anybody watched this? It's kind of amusing how Gen X is profiled as supposedly being hardworking and stuff...pretty much the opposite of what the stereotype used to be, no?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 9:33 am

Has anybody watched this? It's kind of amusing how Gen X is profiled as supposedly being hardworking and stuff...pretty much the opposite of what the stereotype used to be, no?

If this is coming from Survivor, then I wouldn't really trust them with how they profile generations.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/16 at 10:47 am

I thought they were going to smoke as the Millennials text on their phones. :.ducks:.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 1:24 pm

I thought they were going to smoke as the Millennials text on their phones. :.ducks:.

Since when did people thought that Gen Xers smoked a lot?

Check for new replies or respond here...