inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Donald Trump become famous?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/16 at 10:52 pm

He was already famous before he told everybody he wanted to become president in 2015. I also know him from his The Apprentice show. And even, me, a sheltered person, heard about him in the mid-90s, and heard about him from clips in the early 90's.

When did he become famous? Around what era, or decade?

Subject: Re: When did Donald Trump become famous?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/13/16 at 7:03 am

I didn't start hearing about Donald Trump until the 2nd half of last year.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/13/16 at 7:24 am

The mid-80s, as around then the Trump Tower and Trump Plaza in Atlantic City were constructed, back when the resort was a serious competitor for Las Vegas. There was even a Sesame Street episode from around late 1987/early 1988 where Oscar The Grouch even had a "Grump Tower". He actually experienced a slight decline of popularity during the '90s, only to see it rebound again in the 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/13/16 at 8:13 am

Between the mid 80s to the early 90s, he was starting to get attention from the mainstream.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/13/16 at 10:09 am

The corrupt billionaire version of Biff from the alternate 1985 in Back to the Future was directly inspired by Donald Trump, so he was definitely already pretty famous by the late 80s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/13/16 at 10:10 am

The corrupt billionaire version of Biff from the alternate 1985 in Back to the Future was directly inspired by Donald Trump, so he was definitely already pretty famous by the late 80s.

That seems to be proof when Donald Trump started to get mainstream attention.

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/16 at 10:26 am

He was already famous before he told everybody he wanted to become president in 2015. I also know him from his The Apprentice show. And even, me, a sheltered person, heard about him in the mid-90s, and heard about him from clips in the early 90's.

When did he become famous? Around what era, or decade?

mid 80s.... when he started pimping himself on TV and in movies... 

He played himself on an two eps of the Jeffersons in 81 & 85
His first appearance on Letterman was in 87
He played himself in Home Alone 2 in 92
he's made many more appearances but these were the first big ones

but mostly he really started making news the late 80s when he dumped Ivana for Marla Maples  and again when he divorced Marla Maples in the late 90s

this book (1987)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516W6PY-hvL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this board game from (1989)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hg2p_VDtr-M/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 10:28 am

So basically, for you, you didn't hear about him, until he decided to run for president.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 10:30 am

but mostly he really started making news the late 80s when he dumped Ivana for Marla Maples  and again when he divorced Marla Maples in the late 90s

this book (1987)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516W6PY-hvL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He had his own board game!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 10:31 am

He definitely represents the 'greed is good' theme of the 1980's.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 10:33 am

Between the mid 80s to the early 90s, he was starting to get attention from the mainstream.

He didn't look too creepy yet, back in the day.  8)

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/16 at 11:08 am

He had his own board game!  ;D

he has a few...
"Trump even had a board game, a Monopoly-like game launched in 1989, which was ultimately discontinued. He put out an updated version tied to “The Apprentice” in 2005. That one was put on ice, too. As the rebooted game’s tagline proclaimed, “Parker Brothers and Donald Trump are challenging consumers to determine whether they have the brains and the brawn to be the next Donald Trump.” Apparently, not enough were interested."

the one above in 89

This one in '04

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_040817023464.jpg?quality=80  https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2DQsO2gyK3_m_tonFfIXOkogHgw=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3979594/pic1175313.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDcyWDUwMA==/z/E8wAAOSw3ydVlT82/$_35.JPG

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 11:59 am

he has a few...
"Trump even had a board game, a Monopoly-like game launched in 1989, which was ultimately discontinued. He put out an updated version tied to “The Apprentice” in 2005. That one was put on ice, too. As the rebooted game’s tagline proclaimed, “Parker Brothers and Donald Trump are challenging consumers to determine whether they have the brains and the brawn to be the next Donald Trump.” Apparently, not enough were interested."

the one above in 89

This one in '04

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_040817023464.jpg?quality=80  https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2DQsO2gyK3_m_tonFfIXOkogHgw=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3979594/pic1175313.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDcyWDUwMA==/z/E8wAAOSw3ydVlT82/$_35.JPG

He likes to play games, doesn't he?  ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/13/16 at 12:32 pm

He likes to play games, doesn't he?  ;)

I guess he wanted to promote himself through merchandise, because of how he's a narcissist.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/13/16 at 12:45 pm

Some New Yorkers may have heard of him in the 1970s.  His father, Fred Trump, was kind of well known in certain circles back then, too.  In the late 70s there was some big controversy over the demolition of the historic building where Trump Tower now stands.

Personally, I wasn't aware of him until around the mid-1980s.  I and everyone else in college hated him back then, too; he was sort of like the personification of the times, the epitome of the zeitgeist, or something like that.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 1:17 pm

I'm not voting for him because he's too verbally uncontrolled for my taste. And of course, other reasons too.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 1:18 pm

I guess he wanted to promote himself through merchandise, because of how he's a narcissist.

I'm don't know the difference between normal selfishness, and a full blown narcissist. Could it be just fame, and success, has gone to his head?

Written By: Howard on 07/13/16 at 2:56 pm

I started hearing about him about after 1985.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/16 at 3:02 pm

this book (1987)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbdrr9w4e80

Written By: Howard on 07/13/16 at 3:05 pm

He also had his own video game.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/16 at 3:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbdrr9w4e80

He looks younger, because, duh.  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 4:05 pm

He looks younger, because, duh.  :D  :D  :D

and still has his iconic hair.

Written By: nally on 07/14/16 at 7:58 pm

I started hearing about him about after 1985.

I think I did too, but I think more of the U.S. started to hear of him in the 90s. I remember his cameo appearance in Home Alone 2, in which the protagonist finds him at the Plaza Hotel and asks him how to get to the lobby.

Written By: nally on 07/14/16 at 7:58 pm

I'm not voting for him because he's too verbally uncontrolled for my taste. And of course, other reasons too.

Same with me.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/16 at 9:30 pm

and still has his iconic hair.

You mean golden, sexy, hair?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/16 at 9:32 pm

I think I did too, but I think more of the U.S. started to hear of him in the 90s. I remember his cameo appearance in Home Alone 2, in which the protagonist finds him at the Plaza Hotel and asks him how to get to the lobby.

For me, I first heard of him around the mid-90's.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 7:41 am

You mean golden, sexy, hair?

Yes, the hair that is oh so real.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/16 at 2:42 pm

Yes, the hair that is oh so real.

Trump's hair. It's shortened now.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f7/73/5e/f7735e427775df4a724c3c5e219e88a4.jpg

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 08/19/16 at 4:58 am

According to Gary Trudeau, it became "comedy malpractice" NOT to write about him 30 years ago.  By then, he was no longer a local figure.  (fast forward to the 4 minute mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCc_96Pl4U?t=4m2s

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 4:42 am

The mid-80s, as around then the Trump Tower and Trump Plaza in Atlantic City were constructed, back when the resort was a serious competitor for Las Vegas. There was even a Sesame Street episode from around late 1987/early 1988 where Oscar The Grouch even had a "Grump Tower". He actually experienced a slight decline of popularity during the '90s, only to see it rebound again in the 2000s.
How many Trump Towers are there, I know and have seen two?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/16 at 8:03 pm

Donald Trump had a shadowy period in his life from 1990 to 1995/1996.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 8:05 pm

He always had a shadowy life. I mean, what is there positive about him, aside from being rich? He's just like any other Northeastern Republican, that spread his ideas throughout the country. Considering we live in a time where liberals are made fun of as SJWs (along with their meaning of "safe spaces"), that could be one of the reasons why he got elected.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/16 at 8:12 pm

He always had a shadowy life. I mean, what is there positive about him, aside from being rich? He's just like any other Northeastern Republican, that spread his ideas throughout the country. Considering we live in a time where liberals are made fun of as SJWs (along with their meaning of "safe spaces"), that could be one of the reasons why he got elected.

Oops, I meant a difficult period in his life. Yes, he is quite a shadow figure, eh?  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 8:34 pm

Oops, I meant a difficult period in his life. Yes, he is quite a shadow figure, eh?  :(

He more likely has a dark secret.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/16 at 9:44 pm

Wasn't it 1989 when he was balding and raped Ivana?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/16 at 11:45 pm

:.shrugs shoulders:.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did rape any woman. It's unfortunate, but rape is such a dark and controversial topic that it's swept under the rug.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 6:37 am

Holy. F*ck!

Written By: 2001 on 11/28/16 at 12:42 pm

Holy. F*ck!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/27/ex-wife-donald-trump-made-feel-violated-during-sex.html

The book, by former Texas Monthly and Newsweek reporter Harry Hurt III, described a harrowing scene. After a painful scalp reduction surgery to remove a bald spot, Donald Trump confronted his then-wife, who had previously used the same plastic surgeon.

“Your f*cking doctor has ruined me!” Tr*mp cried.

What followed was a “violent assault,” according to Lost Tycoon. Donald held back Ivana’s arms and began to pull out fistfuls of hair from her scalp, as if to mirror the pain he felt from his own operation. He tore off her clothes and unzipped his pants.

“Then he jams his penis inside her for the first time in more than sixteen months. Ivana is terrified… It is a violent assault,” Hurt writes. “According to versions she repeats to some of her closest confidantes, ‘he raped me.’”

Following the incident, Ivana ran upstairs, hid behind a locked door, and remained there “crying for the rest of night.” When she returned to the master bedroom in the morning, he was there.

“As she looks in horror at the ripped-out hair scattered all over the bed, he glares at her and asks with menacing casualness: ‘Does it hurt?' Hurt writes.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/16 at 2:58 pm

Why would he do that to Ivana? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 4:12 pm

Insanity, I suppose. But even then, it's too late for the government to care about our president-elect doing that to her ex-wife in 1989.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/01/16 at 8:38 pm

Insanity, I suppose. But even then, it's too late for the government to care about our president-elect doing that to her ex-wife in 1989.

Simpler than that.  He felt like it.  He didn't need a reason more complex than that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 6:56 am

Simpler than that.  He felt like it.  He didn't need a reason more complex than that.

So.., he felt like doing it over his narcissism? This is coming from a person who blamed Hillary over f*cking emails, but somehow didn't give a sh*t about having people know what he has done to his ex-wife?! It's like electing Ted Bundy as president, and have people not know about his murders.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/06/16 at 10:52 pm

So.., he felt like doing it over his narcissism? This is coming from a person who blamed Hillary over f*cking emails, but somehow didn't give a sh*t about having people know what he has done to his ex-wife?! It's like electing Ted Bundy as president, and have people not know about his murders.

Please keep in mind what's actually important to him.  I didn't say it was good policy.  I didn't say it was logically consistent.  I didn't even say it might cost him a few thousand votes if he were to run for the President in the far future.  I said he felt like it.  If pressed for further clarification, I would say that he felt like it at the time.

And now you, 300,000,000 other Americans, and 7,000,000,000 humans have learned something about NPD. 

You will, in all probability, meet people like this during your careers.  May your encounters be brief.  And may you find better employment as soon as possible.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 5:39 am

Please keep in mind what's actually important to him.  I didn't say it was good policy.  I didn't say it was logically consistent.  I didn't even say it might cost him a few thousand votes if he were to run for the President in the far future.  I said he felt like it.  If pressed for further clarification, I would say that he felt like it at the time.

And now you, 300,000,000 other Americans, and 7,000,000,000 humans have learned something about NPD. 

You will, in all probability, meet people like this during your careers.  May your encounters be brief.  And may you find better employment as soon as possible.

But it just seems like Trump would still desire to something like that in the present. Especially towards his own daughter, if he wasn't her father.  :-\\

Written By: tv on 12/11/16 at 4:30 pm

Probably late 80's(1987-1989.)

Check for new replies or respond here...